ADVERTISEMENT

Sad news: Ariana Vaughn

Stockton is the new Oakland. Just a war zone down there. Kid throws away a $50k annual scholarship.

The alleged apparently knew the family she/they robbed. Went to BC together. How in the world did they think they were going to get away with it??? It seems to me there HAS to be more to the story. Wrong place/wrong time?
Also, the unnamed 17 yr old girl is apparently a current Sac Hi basketball player. At least that's the word out of Stockton.

Will this impact the recruiting at Brookside Christian? I know they are in the running for the frosh phenomenon Mailie Williams http://m.courtsidehoopz.com/presence-of-a-present/

Shake5 what happen to innocent until proven guilty your not the only one rushing to judgment !?! Let the judicial system run its course. At the end of the day the charges against her is very serious way beyond Brookside Christian this is a young lady's life? Has nothing to do with Brookside Christian recruiting !?!

Reactions: Paytc
Shake5 what happen to innocent until proven guilty your not the only one rushing to judgment !?! Let the judicial system run its course. At the end of the day the charges against her is very serious way beyond Brookside Christian this is a young lady's life? Has nothing to do with Brookside Christian recruiting !?!

Innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply to everyone. There are many who are guilty until they prove themselves innocent, and sometimes that's not accepted. But it appears the University has convicted her too. I think it is fair to say they don't need the negative publicity even if she was with the wrong crowd or mistakenly charged. A young mind/life is precious. The environment you're in can have a major impact on you. Therefore young folks need to surround themselves with positive people and the best environments. One bad decision and your life can take a turn for the worse in a heartbeat. It appears to be a situation where a change in environment would have been a better college choice to get away from friends who perhaps don't have an opportunity for one reason or another to attend college? Hopefully she wasn't involved? If so.... hopefully for the sake of all the young people involved their lives take a turn for the better, so I can consider using their story as a "Win Anyway " example. Sad to hear of such negative news.

Last edited:
Yeah this is bad news period. What a terrible incident for the victims. Talk about scary.

All I know is UOP separated ways quickly and she was already under the radar for a previous conduct. She was suspensed at time of arrest. Where there is smoke often fire. Easy decision for UOP. There are thousands of good kids who would die for an opportunity like this.

Reactions: Paytc
Yeah this is bad news period. What a terrible incident for the victims. Talk about scary.

All I know is UOP separated ways quickly and she was already under the radar for a previous conduct. She was suspensed at time of arrest. Where there is smoke often fire. Easy decision for UOP. There are thousands of good kids who would die for an opportunity like this.

I agree the victims had to be terrified. Hopefully the young folks involved don't become negative statistics forever. Punishment, lesson, and then redemption would be a victory for all.

The question I have to ask UOP from dismissing her and why was she on probation. My understanding that she had knee surgeries and my never play again. Maybe that's why the real reason UOP let her go. Think about this would anyone commit a crime when they know the person personally or they didn't know what was happening and just got caught being in the wrong place at wrong time. Let the Judicial system do its job and what if she is innocent what does UOP do then??

As of recruiting does Brookside have anything to do with what happen??? This type of stuff happens often but not a lot?? This happen a year after graduating! All I have to wrong place at wrong time.

If a person don't come for any reason that's their mistake Brookside looks good during the Delta summer league and with Pico and his coaching. The train moves on with or without one person!!!!!!!

There is no way UOP suspended her because of a knee injury. That is ridicolous. Plenty of student athletes have kept scholarships after succumbing to an injury. This is a fine school that is well counseled. I'm sure the had plenty of reasons to say goodbye.

But it's a young person and you hope it's a case of just being with the wrong crowd. You certainly don't want to be another stat.

Larry the hater legend didn't say they suspended for an injury but for what she was arrested for? Don't change the wording but that's and easy way out? That's all I said before the judicial system played out?

The facts are she was arrested. In essence the police thinks she did something. Now, ultimately a trier of fact ( Judge or Jury) will determine guilt or lack thereof but the court of public opinion does not have to wait until that time nor does the University of Pacific.

Private schools should be proud of their alumnae and while this may not hurt the recruiting Pico is doing I don't think it will help much either.

Shake - did you write the article on Mailie Williams? What is that?

One thing I consider in such cases is the bail amount, and in this case it was very high. That tells me the authorities are taking this very seriously.

Young people -- and old ones -- do stupid things all the time, but some of them are life-changing. Hopefully there will be a positive outcome on this, one way or another, but right now, it doesn't look good.

Clay- Great points. This has some very bad implications to it. When you start talking about robbery, kidnapping, and in a gang style setting you can bet that the police are treating this very seriously. I just don't understand what goes through peoples head. But I like to read about all the good things that go on.

This a point that I don't understand!!! Why would anyone bring up if a player is going to stay or move on to another team during sensitive time????? What kind of person is that and puts a profile of the player up???? This is a person that only thinking about that player!!!!! It's all good and danny to talk about players but not when their life is at stake !!!!!!!

AV went to BC with the victim. Knew the family personally. How did she think she was going to get way with it? did she not think they wouldn't tell the police she was was there/involved???? Just looking from the outside, it seems to me she may have been at the wrong place/wrong time. The other girl(20 yr. old) kept looking out the window and eventually let the men in. Reading between the lines....Perhaps AV didn't know they had this robbery planned and got caught up in a situation she shouldn't have been because she was hanging out with the wrong crowd?? And then panicking and running away after the holdup. I'm hoping that's the case at least, and maybe she can make some kind of a deal.

I don't know.....YEESH

I'm just trying to make sense of all this.

But then again a 600K bail?? that's a lot of smoke if there is no fire.

It really is a terrible situation.

AV went to BC with the victim. Knew the family personally. How did she think she was going to get way with it? did she not think they wouldn't tell the police she was was there/involved???? Just looking from the outside, it seems to me she may have been at the wrong place/wrong time. The other girl(20 yr. old) kept looking out the window and eventually let the men in. Reading between the lines....Perhaps AV didn't know they had this robbery planned and got caught up in a situation she shouldn't have been because she was hanging out with the wrong crowd?? And then panicking and running away after the holdup. I'm hoping that's the case at least, and maybe she can make some kind of a deal.

I don't know.....YEESH

I'm just trying to make sense of all this.

But then again a 600K bail?? that's a lot of smoke if there is no fire.

It really is a terrible situation.

northbaybbguru,

600k bail is probably related to the pressure from the family that were victim to the home invasion? How much were the bail amounts for each suspect that was arrested? I think home invasion, kidnapping, and robbery is serious enough to warrant a large bail amount even without pressure from the victims.
It doesn't mean every person charged were definitely a part of the crime. And even if they were, typically the people with the guns, and who physically participated, get a stiffer punishment (unless the police are out to get you personally) than the get away driver or the lookout person who may have not known the entire plot. As I said prior to this statement, I think some families are better off sending their children to college further away from home. This was probably a case in point.

Unless you have been in negative environments (like some myself included experienced in your childhood)you haven't a clue what type of effects the environment has on you. It's easy to sit back and criticize when the worse thing you experienced in your childhood environment was neighborhood kids toilet papering your home or the police needing to rescue an old ladies cat stuck in the tree. Trust me I've witnessed it first hand and unless you have too you don't have a clue.
It would be like a man trying to say he knows what it is like to be a woman or visa versa. Not that it is making an excuse for the guilty, but I've seen the innocent myself included get caught up in the environment. That is why I personally begged my parent ( my single parent mother) to do all she could to get me into a better environment. I was saved because she was able to, but I had to accept collect call after collect call from friends who got caught in the system or attend funerals of friends who were victims of the sin and crime filled negative environments.

Hopefully lessons are learned and young people make better decisions in the future. And everyone should be thankful no one was murdered because you can replace material things, but there's no way to replace a life.

Last edited:
Reactions: observer22
Bail is not set based on pressure but rather the seriousness of the crime. This is a very serious crime. While we may have sympathy to the young lady, the sympathy needs to be with the victims as they were the ones at the wrong place and at the wrong time and were preyed upon by people they thought they could trust.

As far as Brookside Christian I don't think it should have any reflection on them but if you think for a minute a family considering the school is not or will not be made aware of what the alumni or alumnae are doing you clearly have your head buried in the sand.

Let's hope for the best for the victims and their our criminal justice system is swift and fair in this case.

Bail is not set based on pressure but rather the seriousness of the crime. This is a very serious crime. While we may have sympathy to the young lady, the sympathy needs to be with the victims as they were the ones at the wrong place and at the wrong time and were preyed upon by people they thought they could trust.

As far as Brookside Christian I don't think it should have any reflection on them but if you think for a minute a family considering the school is not or will not be made aware of what the alumni or alumnae are doing you clearly have your head buried in the sand.

Let's hope for the best for the victims and their our criminal justice system is swift and fair in this case.

Shakes,

Good points !

While I think that is true the reality also is some families have more influence than others do. And I did put the emphasis on the seriousness of the crime warranting the bail amount. From me sympathy goes out to all involved, suspect and victims. Not enough sympathy to not swiftly punish the suspect(s) found guilty of committing the crime. But as you said let the criminal justice system and due process run its course before convicting. And ignore the ignorance and insensitivity of popular opinions of the general public who are known for rushing to judgement in many, but not all cases.

I agree families will consider crime, and other stats both positive and negative before sending their children to any high school or college.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT