ADVERTISEMENT

Salesian-Folsom

First game I have watched Salesian and I was expecting a top ranked team, they don’t look like a nationally ranked team at all???? Can anyone shoot on this team?

First game I have watched Salesian and I was expecting a top ranked team, they don’t look like a nationally ranked team at all???? Can anyone shoot on this team?
They looked the part in the first half. Folsom zone has hurt them in the 2nd half big time.

Reactions: MC415
Unbelievable...... Folsom was the better "TEAM".. Way to much Akinjo dribbling and everybody else watching.... Actually I wasn't that impressed with salesian D. It didn't bother Folsom.

Reactions: thekingera
Folsom wins 75-70 in overtime. Bulldogs came from 10 down in the fourth to win. Closed on a 24-9 run.

Folsom's zone was the key with Forbes anchoring it at the rim. Salesian never found an answer for it.

Jones and McCain combined for 34 for Folsom.

Salesian went most of the game with two starters not scoring. Tough to find non Akinjo offense after the first quarter. Akinjo finished with 28

Gallegos made some big free throws to ice it

Honestly. Tonight, team ball, beat a bunch of one on one players.

That was one of the funnest games I've seen live. The parking lot might be a bit lively tonight lol

Reactions: awood1
Folsom wins 75-70 in overtime. Bulldogs came from 10 down in the fourth to win. Closed on a 24-9 run.

Folsom's zone was the key with Forbes anchoring it at the rim. Salesian never found an answer for it.

Jones and McCain combined for 34 for Folsom.

Salesian went most of the game with two starters not scoring. Tough to find non Akinjo offense after the first quarter. Akinjo finished with 28

Gallegos made some big free throws to ice it
Streak you had Salesian taking this game no problem. Thoughts?

Mccan is a D1 guard. Keep saying that. He had no problems against D1 players tonight on the other side of the ball. Akinjo dominates the ball. Its good and bad. He was brilliant at times but others didn't get as involved in the 2nd half. Small guards tend to do that.

Streak you had Salesian taking this game no problem. Thoughts?

I think I said it would be competitive well into the fourth with Salesian pulling away late. Through about 28 minutes, that was spot on. Did I say something different?

Folsom's success with the zone and Salesian settling late in Q4 erased that lead and the Folsom made some really big plays in OT

I think I said it would be competitive well into the fourth with Salesian pulling away late. Through about 28 minutes, that was spot on. Did I say something different?

Folsom's success with the zone and Salesian settling late in Q4 erased that lead and the Folsom made some really big plays in OT
You were close. I posted some quotes below from the predictions thread.

Some great bulletin board stuff for this week for the Bulldogs!

Salesian Over Folsom 50-45. Folsom will be right there but Salesian too deep and will grind out a win. If Folsom is to win they need a big night from Forbes.

Salesian over Folsom 62-50. Guard play to much for Folsom to handle. I’m sure Forbes will have a field day but not enough for the quicker Salesian. James Akinjo will be big time in that game.

Salesian's guards just ridiculously quick, and one of 'em is Akinjo. They have a great shot at going all the way, even over whatever SoCal coughs up... Pride beats Folsom 65-57.

I must admit I'm a little shocked some are picking Folsom winning or the game being close. The guard play of Folsom is good, it does not compare to the Pride. Defensively Salesian is a machine. They take your best player out of the equation and force role players to win games. Forbes has to be some sort of factor, and quite frankly indent see it happening against Salesian.

For the upper half, Salesian gets to the norcal finals easily

Salesian over Foslom: Ball pressure and Akinjo end up wearing out Folsom

The only teams who have a shot at beating Salesian are in SoCal

Reactions: LoganHomer
Looks like AAU showcase basketball doesn’t work in Regional State Tournaments. Too much tryout to demonstrate you are a D1 NCAA player? Oh well moving on.....

Reactions: thekingera
I can’t say it enough about Salesian, for all the hype I was so unimpressed! So Cal is going to hurt whoever comes out of NorCal so bad

Reactions: BasketballBall1
I can’t say it enough about Salesian, for all the hype I was so unimpressed! So Cal is going to hurt whoever comes out of NorCal so bad

BOD or MC (Really don't know too much about the other two) can hold their own against whoever comes out the south, when will yall learn that games aren't played on paper. No team is gonna roll over after making if that far.

BOD/MC have the talent, size and depth. They're not as far off from the south as years past IMO. I'd take these two teams over any team from last year's northern open bracket

Reactions: nostancenochance
Yes I picked the pride, and I must say Forbes with 11 blocks is huge! I'e watch both teams play multiple time and I felt Salesian was better. Folsom came in and with the season on the line in the 4th dug deep and won.

Some great bulletin board stuff for this week for the Bulldogs!

I sincerely hope nobody comes on these message boards for bulletin board material lol. It’s mostly a bunch of old guys and parents arguing over high school kids.

As for MC415. Yes they can shoot. Akinjo, both mclanahan Bros and that other kid brinkman. If you watched them throughout the year they handled Modesto Christian, capital christian, San Joaquin memorial, as well as a handful of very good teams from other states. They definitely earned their ranking, and have nothing to be ashamed of only losing twice all season. That being said, Folsom played a great game and I thought we’re very well coached. I’d like to see how they lost five games? Their big man is super talented and they had a bunch of other guys who could shoot.

Got some more crow for me? I'll have it on pizza.... :)

Watched the game replay online as soon as I got home from the O'Dowd game. Yeah, I think the switch to zone by Folsom did the Pride in. That and the Pride's strange handling of the issue... Mellis is a great coach, wonder what he was thinking?

Your right kiddman mellis is a great coach that win win was more of Folsom making
huge plays down the stretch going zone and taking salesian's athleticism out of
The game.jayce McCain was huge congrats to Folsom on a great win not
a time to bash salesian at all they are a class program top to bottom.

Huge Upset.........Salesian's goes home early.

and I will eat my crow
Was it that huge?

Common opponent was Bishop Gorman who handed Salesian their only loss of the regular season. Folsom beat Bishop Gorman.

I don't think many on this board had even seen Folsom play at all this year. I believe this is evidenced by some of the posts. People just assumed Salesians "superior athletes" would just overtake Folsom. I think we need to rethink that way of thinking from now on lol. Folsom has a few athletes of their own!

Anyone who saw Folsom come back from that huge deficit against Shedlon in the SJS final, and nearly pull it off, would know that they wouldn't be embarrassed.

Forbes had some nasty dunks and blocks. That was fun to watch. It seemed the local dudes in the front row were absolutely shocked. It was amazing. Then I tell them He is going to Harvard. Shocked face even more.

What a fun night. Credit to Mike Wall. One of the best coached games I've seen in years. Also credit to Salesian. They had some studs and were also fun to watch. It's all about heart this time of year!

Doubtful. The #1 seed (Mater Dei) in the south open just lost last night to the #8 seed (Fairfax).

Sounds like whoever the match up is from the north and south will be competitive. The open in the north and south are obviously not as top heavy this year, with the top seeds going out early. I think the rest of the bracket is fairly balanced on both sides.

This is fun!

Forbes messed around and got a triple double..... 13, 14, 11... Wow. Best performance I've seen by him. He was dominant. Overall best player on the floor the way he changed the game. Akinjo had a really hard time scoring at the rim in the 2nd half. Better learn to pull up more because in the big east that stuff is getting thrown back as well. People forget forbes had an offer from the #1 team in the country... Virginia. There is a reason for that.

I kept hearing how good Salesian D was... I didn't see it. Folsom had no trouble getting shots they wanted. I think Sheldon would have had similar results to be honest.

As for Folsom they have 4+ kids that will play in college at D1, D2 level. And they have a big soph who will be a national recruit in football. They are very talented. Sheldon game should be amazing.

Love to see box score on this one. I didn’t see first half, but in 2nd half, it felt like Folsom shot no better than 50% from the line, and I don’t remember more than a single miss or two for the Pride.

Forbes messed around and got a triple double..... 13, 14, 11... Wow. Best performance I've seen by him. He was dominant. Overall best player on the floor the way he changed the game. Akinjo had a really hard time scoring at the rim in the 2nd half. Better learn to pull up more because in the big east that stuff is getting thrown back as well. People forget forbes had an offer from the #1 team in the country... Virginia. There is a reason for that.

I kept hearing how good Salesian D was... I didn't see it. Folsom had no trouble getting shots they wanted. I think Sheldon would have had similar results to be honest.

As for Folsom they have 4+ kids that will play in college at D1, D2 level. And they have a big soph who will be a national recruit in football. They are very talented. Sheldon game should be amazing.
Dudes in the front row from Salesian were in absolute shock. They just couldn't believe it. It was quite the scene live for sure.

Some of those Forbes blocks were absolutely nasty. He threw back Akinjo a number of times. That dunk he had over the Salesian big guy in the second half was a huge spark.

Ultimately coach Wall wins this one. Going to that zone and cutting down the turnovers won this game. He should be damn proud. Salesian was the #1 seed in the open. #8 seeds don't beat #1 seeds in the open. Just doesn't happen!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT