ADVERTISEMENT

Salesian Gets Big Test Friday... In Kentucky!

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
While just about everyone else in the area started up their league games this week, Salesian
is getting one more test, the Mustang Madness showcase in Paducah, KY. It's an event similar to the "Crush In The Valley" Prolific Prep is putting on in a few weeks.

Friday, Salesian is playing a Chicago powerhouse, Curie HS. This Top 20 nationally-ranked team is undefeated so far this year, and last season went 23-5 and got to the Illinois state final.

They also play Saturday against a team from Alabama, Calloway HS. I looked at their record and it's something like 10-5. Should be at least a little easier than Curie, but ya never know.

Sheldon passed a big test Thursday with flying colors, let's see what Salesian can do Friday...

Unfortunately, this Kentucky event is on the pay service Tanager Sports live, but maybe it'll show up soon on Tanager's free YouTube channel.

p.s. just FYI, Prolific Prep is also at this event...

p.p.s. This event and another big national event, the Marshall County Hoopfest, are just a few weeks and some 20 miles apart in a somewhat sparsely-populated area of western KY... Things that make ya go hmmm....

Reactions: AHSFan2019
While just about everyone else in the area started up their league games this week, Salesian
is getting one more test, the Mustang Madness showcase in Paducah, KY. It's an event similar to the "Crush In The Valley" Prolific Prep is putting on in a few weeks.

Friday, Salesian is playing a Chicago powerhouse, Curie HS. This Top 20 nationally-ranked team is undefeated so far this year, and last season went 23-5 and got to the Illinois state final.

They also play Saturday against a team from Alabama, Calloway HS. I looked at their record and it's something like 10-5. Should be at least a little easier than Curie, but ya never know.

Sheldon passed a big test Thursday with flying colors, let's see what Salesian can do Friday...

Unfortunately, this Kentucky event is on the pay service Tanager Sports live, but maybe it'll show up soon on Tanager's free YouTube channel.

p.p.s. This event and another big national event, the Marshall County Hoopfest, are just a few weeks and some 20 miles apart in a somewhat sparsely-populated area of western KY... Things that make ya go hmmm....
FWIW, Calloway is from Jackson MS

Oh, yeah... Oops on my part. Mississississississississippi, not Alabama. :)

Typical down south rules ....so out-dated.... allows less talented / inferior teams stay close.

Only eight states use a shot clock: California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, and Washington.

I believe that Maryland boys just recently adopted the shot clock, while girls have been using it for a few decades

So, the shot clock is not used throughout the Country? Sounds ridiculous to me. You’d think it would be standard across the board.

There’s only 8 states that use a shot clock.

Edit: Just saw MH11 and other posts above. Boring as hell, 4 corners, vanilla ice cream and the missionary position every night....blah, no excitement!

I am no fan of basketball without a shot clock. Having said that. I saw 2, theoretically top 20 (I don’t believe they are accurate) teams playing some very physical defense. Would you like them to shoot just for the sake of shooting? Was it fast? No. But I wouldn’t call it boring either. Both of those teams score in the 70’s so I doubt it was stalling. Having never seen Curie, I came away impressed with them.

Reactions: kiddman32
The game was definitely not boring... There were a few deliberate possessions, but none of them were stalls; they were always trying to score, both sides. Defense was excellent and that slowed both offenses down often.

A major factor for Salesian was backup big Te'jon Sawyer. Big thick guy who looks better suited to football and doesn't usually play major minutes, but he turned out to be just the right guy to play in the 4th quarter and get big boards, get himself open for layups off terrific passes, make solid decisions and clog the paint defensively. I think at one point he scored something like 10 points during 6 or 7 possessions that sealed the game late.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
The game was definitely not boring... There were a few deliberate possessions, but none of them were stalls; they were always trying to score, both sides. Defense was excellent and that slowed both offenses down often.

A major factor for Salesian was backup big Te'jon Sawyer. Big thick guy who looks better suited to football and doesn't usually play major minutes, but he turned out to be just the right guy to play in the 4th quarter and get big boards, get himself open for layups off terrific passes, make solid decisions and clog the paint defensively. I think at one point he scored something like 10 points during 6 or 7 possessions that sealed the game late.
Sorry, Tejon is a beast! He didn't get big minutes because he just returned to the team. He closed for them tonight . 11 off the bench.

Kiddman32, That area is close to where the Book " When Cuba Conquered Kentucky" took place in.
For anyone who wants to read the most incredible story of a High School team, get a hold of this book.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Last edited:
Mellis getting it done! Great NorCal win. @Renard Monroe Would you suggest College Fball or Bball for Sawyer? Big body, nice touch around the basket. Looks like he could be Jonathan Odgen on the Fball field with NFL potential.

who is going to pay for these shot clocks at the schools... and then you have to train officials as well.

Ask
The cost is minimal as it’s essentilly a one-time cost. Most schools have a student operate the shot clock. The refs go through training every year anyway.
Ask Riordan Coach Curtin about the clock operator @ Newark High. ;)

Last edited:
Congrats to Salesian for their wins this past week. They are clearly showing signs of a State title contender. Can a Nor Cal team challenge them this year?

Congrats to Salesian for their wins this past week. They are clearly showing signs of a State title contender. Can a Nor Cal team challenge them this year?

Modesto Christian missed a free throw to win the game and took them to overtime without Aaron Murphy. Salesian clear favorite but anybody can beat anyone this season come open. There is no Ivan Rabb O'Dowd teams.

Modesto Christian missed a free throw to win the game and took them to overtime without Aaron Murphy. Salesian clear favorite but anybody can beat anyone this season come open. There is no Ivan Rabb O'Dowd teams.
Say it louder so the people in the back can hear you.

I may be wrong but I don't think Salesian has ever won 1 game in the Open format. Sheldon is my pick to rep North Open

That’s correct Salesian has yet to win an open game. They lost to Sheldon the first year...they lost twice to De La Salle And they lost to Folsom last year. All those games were very close. I know last year Folsom shot lights out and Salesian was one box out and rebound (on a free throw) away from winning but couldn’t secure the board. The first year the open started was a classic high school game when a stacked Salesian team went up against a stacked Sheldon team and it went to overtime and Sheldon pulled it out. The open is tough every year and I wouldn’t be surprised to see any of the top teams win it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT