ADVERTISEMENT

San Francisco Top 5 (Week 5)

CityVibesII

Hall of Famer
Mar 11, 2003
Other than record changes, not much to talk about. No movers and shakers amongst this group. Last year Cats tired out end of season. Steady, but not invincible. Only thing that can beat Mission is Mission.

Week 5
1. St. Ignatius 19-2 (9-1). Two close wins at home. Are teams starting to figure out Cats?
2. Mission 22-1 (9-0). They have a month to figure out their horrendous free-throw %.
3. Stuart Hall 19-5 (6-0). Showdown at University will stir rankings.
4. University 22-2 (5-1). University sure to bring home-court advantage into game plan.
5. Lowell 14-6 (7-2). Figured out Mission for a quarter and half; then imploded.
Riordan 7-11 (1-7) Almost at V.C; reality with Serra
SHC 8-10 (1-7) Played league's No. 1 and No.2 tough last week. Harbinger of things to come?

Week 4
1. St. Ignatius 17-2 (8-1). A one-point loss away at Bellarmine does little to diminish Cats..
2. Mission 20-1 (7-0). Sleptwalked through week; cant afford to look past Lowell.
3. Stuart Hall 17-5 (4-0). First of potential 4 games with U. goes to Knights
4. University 20-2 (4-1). I'm sure coach is working on his game plan already v. SH.
5. Lowell 13-5 (6-1). Is not intimidated by Mission. Have them at their house this week.
Bubble
Riordan 7-11 (1-7) Buckner and staff getting all they can out of this group.
SHC 8-10 (1-7) Any win v. Serra is noteworthy. Must stay patient with the youngsters.

Week 3
1. St. Ignatius 16-1 (7-0). Strength of schedule solidifies ranking.
2. Mission 18-1 (5-0). Should cruise through next week.
3. University 19-1 (3-0). Tuesday's game (v. SH)will set BCL and ranking in place.
4. Stuart Hall 15-5 (2-0). Tuesday's game (v. Univ) will set BCL and ranking in place.
5. Lowell 11-5 (4-1). Still making their case.
Bubble: Lick Wilmerding 16-3 (0-2). Will now need to earn their ranking.
Riordan 7-9 (1-5) thank God for SHC.
SHC 7-9 (0-6) CCS cant come soon enough. Go young and build.

Week 2

1. St. Ignatius 11-1 (3-0) . Great week include big win at St. Francis. In a groove.
2. Mission 15-1 (3-0). Non-league challenge v. Central Catholic (Modesto) awaits.
3. University 17-1 (2-0). Big win over L.W. solidified placement.
4. Stuart Hall 14-4 (1-0). Look forward to University/SH clash.
5. SHCP 6-6 (0.-3) Hello WCAL!!
Bubble: Lick Wilmerding 14-2 (1-1). Missed first challenged. But will remain in BCL hunt.
Lowell 8-5 (1-1) should solidify 2nd place with win over Washington.
Riordan 6-6 (0-3) Very, very young, but a week older.

Week 1
As the preseason is nearly over and some City teams (i.e WCAL and AAA) begin league play, here is a "Pre-season" Top 5. Last year we had a Top Ten, but honestly after the top 5-6, 7 thru10 wasnt warranted. Keeping it to Top 5 (and a couple bubble teams) should work.
1. St. Ignatius (8-1). Strong guard play. Decent post play. Look very durable.
2. Mission (12-1). Overwhelming defensively. Quality pre-season. Paint only weak link.
3. University (13-1). Relatively strong pre-season. Tough at home.
4. SHC (6-3). Still finding themselves with new coach; but some quality wins.
5. Stuart Hall (11-4). Will be tough at home. Strong guard play if healthy.
Bubble: Lick Wilmerding (13-1). Just have not seen them. Clearer after league starts
Riordan (6-4). Very, very young. Need to ride out youth train.

A lot will be ironed out after second week of January.

SHC and Riordan are much better teams than Lowell and probably even Stuart Hall and University. You just can't compare AAA and BCL teams to WCAL teams unless we're talking about Mission. SHC and Riordan would both easily beat Lowell, and although it would be a more competitive game, I can't see Stuart Hall or University beating any city WCAL school either.

SHC has looked good recently, especially in their 3 point loss to SI on Saturday. The team is heading into the right direction and may peak when playoffs come around. Riordan has looked decent in recent weeks as well. I foresee a SHC v. Riordan CCS championship game in which SHC wins. But, we'll see.

Reactions: Scott2138
SHC and Riordan are much better teams than Lowell and probably even Stuart Hall and University. You just can't compare AAA and BCL teams to WCAL teams unless we're talking about Mission. SHC and Riordan would both easily beat Lowell, and although it would be a more competitive game, I can't see Stuart Hall or University beating any city WCAL school either.

SHC has looked good recently, especially in their 3 point loss to SI on Saturday. The team is heading into the right direction and may peak when playoffs come around. Riordan has looked decent in recent weeks as well. I foresee a SHC v. Riordan CCS championship game in which SHC wins. But, we'll see.
Nine out of ten years (geez, 19 out of 20), I would agree with you..but not this year. There is not much separating SH/Riordan from the bottom tier. In fact, Riordan lost to University. Yes, Chun did not play but at the time Crusaders were not cohesive anyway. The only thing keeping both of them on board has been their strength of schedule. In fact, SHC had a good week, even though losing both games. But 1-7 is 1-7. However, SHC is showing signs of improving while Riordan is just going through growing pains. Little is keeping Lowell in fifth spot, not so much for what they've done, but for what SH and Riordan have been unable to do. This year SH and Riordan would have a hard time with University and Stuart Hall. I have seen all teams play at least 3 times. I have no dog in the fight, just an objective observation. If any team is primed to get back in the top 5 it's SHC, but a win would help. Would not be surprised to see both make a run in CCS, but also would not be surprised if they don't. Respectfully.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott2138
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT