ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarship Offers

Bubba3000

Hall of Famer
Dec 12, 2012
I've been seeing some interesting recruiting trends lately. It seems as though Hawaii and University of San Diego are offering far more kids than the average. USD and teams in their conference don't offer any sports based financial aid, which is probably why they have a tough time competing on the field with some of the other FCS 1AA programs.

I think the reason Hawaii offers so many is because most choose not to go there for various reasons. It's not a highly rated school academically and even though it sounds glamorous, I think there are a large percentage of kids that don't want to be that far from home and/or the island fever so many complain about when spending long periods of time away from the mainland.

This year I've also noticed more Bay Area recruiting activity from Kentucky Christian University.

I've been seeing some interesting recruiting trends lately. It seems as though Hawaii and University of San Diego are offering far more kids than the average. USD and teams in their conference don't offer any sports based financial aid, which is probably why they have a tough time competing on the field with some of the other FCS 1AA programs.

I think the reason Hawaii offers so many is because most choose not to go there for various reasons. It's not a highly rated school academically and even though it sounds glamorous, I think there are a large percentage of kids that don't want to be that far from home and/or the island fever so many complain about when spending long periods of time away from the mainland.

This year I've also noticed more Bay Area recruiting activity from Kentucky Christian University.
I agree with your observation of the Hawaii offers increasing. They seem to be using the same approach that Nevada has done offer the last few years where Rolovich was the OC... Offer every one you like not love early and then pull the offer late if they fill that need or reevaluate.

I don't know what a non-scholarship school like USD offer really means as far as financial aid. I'd be interested to find out if anybody had more insight.

Reactions: Bubba3000
Pioneer league teams go after higher end kids who haven't been offered by their senior year, all but one are private (read $$$$) -- they don't get a lot a lot of early commits who are willing to pay their own way LOL!! Good grades qualify for academic scholarships, and teams have some waivers to trim tuition, but in the end the kids pay.....hey, it's an opportunity to keep playing and get a great education which in the end is what they need!

I agree with your observation of the Hawaii offers increasing. They seem to be using the same approach that Nevada has done offer the last few years where Rolovich was the OC... Offer every one you like not love early and then pull the offer late if they fill that need or reevaluate.

I don't know what a non-scholarship school like USD offer really means as far as financial aid. I'd be interested to find out if anybody had more insight.

I can tell you first hand that Reno has a reputation for offering and then playing games. I liked Rolovich not a big fan of Polian.

My understanding of an offer from USD is a roster spot.

Bubba that's it -- an offer to load up the suitcase and come to sunny California to play ball.

FBS schools always have more at stake getting talent compared to FCS and one just cannot take projectability as a high school senior and translate that to beating out his competition by Junior year at the latest. It seems that many are satisfied with being rostered, then end of soph year the soul-searching begins following the end-of-season meet with the coach and (limited) role for next year is presented.

Jr was carried by Amherst FB until April, the domino affect of bailing at D1 actually reverberates all the way that far. As B3K intimates, better have lots of pokers in the fire, especially as the academic ranking moves you up or down the job interview board,

The issue with reporting offers as they pop up on social media is how many are commitable. It is the game now that you have to offer early to have a chance (even Pac-12 schools deal with this), but not all of those offers are real when it comes to officially signing. I'm pretty sure USC has offered three NorCal tight ends in the 2017 class.

I noticed the same thing with Kentucky Christian. I know very little about the school, but they must have a NorCal connection.

My $2 bill (that's $.02 in 2016 conditions).......

My kid, a swimmer, received varying offers from the 7 schools to which he applied (application fees are killers).
2 schools were publics. 5 were privates, 4 in state, 3 in Timbuktu.

We learned late in the application process that the University price tag is not that important if your student-athlete has that "something" that any particular University considers admissible criteria. One of the Ivy representatives told us that if the applying student has the right grades and test scores not to be occupied with expenses. His quote was in essentially, "You work to get admitted and we will work to be sure you do not suffer financially". The privates high costs can be balanced by their generous scholarships funded by their endowments. In more dire situations we were told by the same representative student expenses could include living expenses, per diems, air fares for which the University might assist.

My son was accepted at all 7 Universities to which he applied (do your homework starting freshman year, he started looking at over +25 schools). His priorities were field of study (academics), coach & facilities and location.

Of the 2 Publics one University (my alma mater) offered 15% scholarships, the other Public 30% (but were disbanding their swim program) both athletic admission advisors pushed the Pell Grant and loan programs.

Of the 5 Privates 1 of the Ivies and ND offered 85% of all University directly related costs (no extracurricular expenses).The other 3 Privates offered a minimum of 65% to 75% scholarships for directly related costs. All the Privates pushed student employment priorities as a way to guarantee covering 100% of the costs. Both coaches at the 2 Privates which did not offer "athletic scholarships" said that they would assist in the financial aid process as insiders who understand the process.

Each year of his 4 years his academic scholarships actually increased (he gave up his athletic scholarship his senior year to help benefit the offerings to incoming freshmen) The NCAA annually awards limited expense funds to athletes who maintained high academic standing which were very helpful. The University he chose offered great academic (hence the increasing annual scholarship funding) and health support to its athletes. His University athletic department made sure that the athletes were give priority enrollment for their classes which can be difficult during the competition season. If you want your kid to finish in 4, enrollment priority is a biggie.

I can not understate the need for you and your student athlete doing the necessary homework EARLY when thinking about college. We found college admissions fairs very useful. Contact your prospective Universities for a list of west coast tours. Often the person representing the University is one of the main admission officers; nobody understands the admission process of their respective university better than these folks. Talk to any parent who has recently gone through the admissions process; they can be a wealth of information. If your kid wants to do varsity sports of course the coach, facilities and program are important. But even though 4 years will go fast events such as injuries, coaches leaving, personality conflicts even change of academic focus can make those 48 months an eternity.

Cost is important (unless you do well on Saturday's Big Spin) but we found the higher the cost the greater the available financial offerings. The application process and financial support search is a second job for a couple years. Do it right now and it will pay off immediately. Be relaxed now and pay big later.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT