ADVERTISEMENT

Scores Thread - October 4

So Del Oro beat Granite Bay by 18. In a game that was never really close.
Then Whitney took down Del Oro by 3 in a fairly evenly played game.

So what should have happened when Whitney faced off with Granite Bay last night (according to common opponents and score comparisons) ?? A near double digit Wildcats win, right? Or at least a win?

Nope.

Whitney is shut out and beaten by 23.

Just saying....

Oh, and Granite Bay already has a 19 point win over Damonte Ranch under their belt, who Rocklin lost to by 4. So clearly Rocklin has no shot when they face Granite Bay on November 1st, right?

But what does it all mean if GB loses to Oak Ridge and Rocklin beats Del Oro between now and then??? <head spinning>

As I always preach, every matchup is different. Common opponents and score comparisons don’t mean a thing.

Agree.

Another factor that applies is league play where teams/coaches/players/fans know each other that can lead to unpredictable results.

I have to say that after watching the DO/Whitney game DO seemed to be mentally and emotionally not into this game. Not taking anything away from Whitney as they came to play but I can’t say the same for DO. Whitney QB and speedy RB won the game with their legs. Just seemed to me DO was not up for this game and perhaps were overlooking Whitney. I thought coming into this game DO was more balanced but Whitney matched DO in the pits and their will to win exceeded DO’s IMO. Will see if DO shows up to OR game.

You and 20 other Pic'em lemmings.....

So anyone have any insight on what happened in this game? I’ve never seen CVC play but have read on here about some questionable coaching decisions by their coach. Not knocking California here either as they are 6-0 and may have just been the better team. Just curious how this game played out

Reactions: 13 others
So anyone have any insight on what happened in this game? I’ve never seen CVC play but have read on here about some questionable coaching decisions by their coach. Not knocking California here either as they are 6-0 and may have just been the better team. Just curious how this game played out

CVC does not punt. They lost the ball on downs twice inside their own 40, yet still refused to punt. Could have kicked a field goal to tie it just before half, but Cal held them and went to the locker room up 3-0. Cal stopped them time and time again, but they would not punt. They converted a few times but obviously not enough. Questionable coaching for sure, but credit the Grizzly D for stepping up when they needed to.

As I always preach, every matchup is different. Common opponents and score comparisons don’t mean a thing.

One thing that people don't always understand is that the better team does not always win. Simply, who plays better on that night/afternoon does. Especially at this level, emotion plays heavily into what is seen on the field. Upsets do happen, but generally speaking, the better team will win the majority of the games.

No, in an isolated situation, common opponents/scores don't necessarily mean anything. However, as the number of data points grow, it does more and more. If Team A beats teams X, Y, and Z by 20 points more than Team B, there's a pretty good chance that Team A is 20 points better than B.

Aptos had the football Gods on their side yesterday as Carmel missed wide left a 37 yard fg with 4 seconds left in the game and won 35-34.

Still think Carmel has a punchers chance to upset any one of the big 4 in the PCAL-GD, but odds were against them to beat all 4. The schedule makers also didn't do them any favors by making them face all 4 in a row. That would be a tough ask for anyone in the league.

Still think Carmel has a punchers chance to upset any one of the big 4 in the PCAL-GD, but odds were against them to beat all 4. The schedule makers also didn't do them any favors by making them face all 4 in a row. That would be a tough ask for anyone in the league.

I agree they have a chance. Carmels kicker is not bad either. Just one of those games where somebody had to lose.

The Game was very entertaining. Looked like Aptos may run way with it after stopping Carmel on their first 2 possession of the Game. But a turnoer let Carmel get back into the game and the teams traded TD until Midway through 3rd qtr. Carmel went for 2 and was stopped. Then the defenses stepped up and the play calling on both sides got a little "silly" . Aptos moved away form the run game and Carmel moved away from the pass.

Carmel was able to make one more drive and it came down to the kick, had plenty of leg, just off to the left.

Gabilan seems to be playing a little closer this year then anticipated. All three game this weekend were 7 Points or less. Favorites all won, but Salinas (V. Alvarez) and Hollister (V. Christopher) were supposed to be much larger margins.

The Game was very entertaining. Looked like Aptos may run way with it after stopping Carmel on their first 2 possession of the Game. But a turnoer let Carmel get back into the game and the teams traded TD until Midway through 3rd qtr. Carmel went for 2 and was stopped. Then the defenses stepped up and the play calling on both sides got a little "silly" . Aptos moved away form the run game and Carmel moved away from the pass.

Carmel was able to make one more drive and it came down to the kick, had plenty of leg, just off to the left.

Gabilan seems to be playing a little closer this year then anticipated. All three game this weekend were 7 Points or less. Favorites all won, but Salinas (V. Alvarez) and Hollister (V. Christopher) were supposed to be much larger margins.

I suspect all of Carmel's games are going to be "very entertaining". Much like Salinas this year, it seems their offense remains potent, but due to the struggles on defense, every big game may result in a shoot-out. I firmly believe team with a good offense (particularly a good passing game) always has a puncher's chance.

Reactions: RLS13 and 13 others
One thing that people don't always understand is that the better team does not always win. Simply, who plays better on that night/afternoon does. Especially at this level, emotion plays heavily into what is seen on the field. Upsets do happen, but generally speaking, the better team will win the majority of the games.

No, in an isolated situation, common opponents/scores don't necessarily mean anything. However, as the number of data points grow, it does more and more. If Team A beats teams X, Y, and Z by 20 points more than Team B, there's a pretty good chance that Team A is 20 points better than B.
Yup! Some teams match up better against other teams. And sometimes teams are fairly evenly matched so there isn't a team that is objectively "better." It's definitely more interesting when that happens! And then there are teams that tend to play better as the season goes on: so what they did early on doesn't accurately represent what they are capable of in the playoffs.

All of that makes it fun. If it always went how it should go based on the numbers, it wouldn't be nearly as exciting.

Completely agree. How well (or poor) one team performs on a given night -- which sometimes isn't always affected by their opponent -- has a lot to do with it. But like in boxing where conflicting styles make a fight, the same is often true in the game of football.

A team might have particular weaknesses that some teams can take advantage of more than others due to their own strengths and weaknesses.

An NFL example I can think of right off the top of my head was in 1985 when my Miami Dolphins (yes, I grew up a fan of that sorry team) throttled the Chicago Bears handing them their only loss of the season.

Miami happened to have the perfect QB and offensive scheme to take advantage of the overly aggressive 46 defense whereas the Patriots (who beat Miami in the AFC title game & won 2 of 3 played that season) had no chance against Chicago because they didn't have a QB or offensive personnel capable of negating the Bears greatest defensive strength. They were more of a run-oriented team that played right into the Bears hands.

Completely agree. How well (or poor) one team performs on a given night -- which sometimes isn't always affected by their opponent -- has a lot to do with it. But like in boxing where conflicting styles make a fight, the same is often true in the game of football.

A team might have particular weaknesses that some teams can take advantage of more than others due to their own strengths and weaknesses.

An NFL example I can think of right off the top of my head was in 1985 when my Miami Dolphins (yes, I grew up a fan of that sorry team) throttled the Chicago Bears handing them their only loss of the season.

Miami happened to have the perfect QB and offensive scheme to take advantage of the overly aggressive 46 defense whereas the Patriots (who beat Miami in the AFC title game & won 2 of 3 played that season) had no chance against Chicago because they didn't have a QB or offensive personnel capable of negating the Bears greatest defensive strength. They were more of a run-oriented team that played right into the Bears hands.

In isolation, again, yes. However, if Miami had played the Bears 10 times, I don't think they're winning the majority of those games. Chicago was still the better team.

In isolation, again, yes. However, if Miami had played the Bears 10 times, I don't think they're winning the majority of those games. Chicago was still the better team.

You think, but you don’t know that.

I happen to believe the Dolphins would have won a rematch in the SB (had they beaten NE) as well as a majority of a 10 games series. Because of the matchups. That Miami team and that HOF QB was a matchup nightmare for the Bears. Which is exactly what showed on that Monday night.

But I don’t positively know the result of the hypothetical rematches either.

All we have to go on is the one game that they did play, which the Dolphins thoroughly outplayed the Bears. They were the better team. It wasn’t some fluke Hail Mary or Music City miracle type ending. The Dolphins ran the Bears from the get go. There’s no denying that.

But back to the main point, Miami was able to take advantage of the Bears defense in a way no other team (that faced them) was capable of doing.

While NE was able to beat MIA 2 out of 3 times that same season, the matchups dictated that MIA was in better position to beat the Bears than were the Patriots.

So while Chicago was a better team in terms of being able to win more games, they weren’t the better team in their individual matchup against MIA.

I’d make the same argument regarding the NY Giants and New England in 2007. The Pats were 16-0 in the regular season, the Giants 10-6. If not for the fact that the Giants nearly beat the Patriots on the last day of the regular season, a lot of people would have felt like you that the one game played in the SB was a fluke and that the Pats would win 9 of 10.

But we saw close games decided by 3 points TWICE. The Giants defensive line was a matchup nightmare for NE that few other teams could duplicate. And that matchup problem wasn’t gonna change with 10 games played. Those teams were just destined to play close, competitive games — because of the matchup differences. But NE was more capable of beating a wider variety of different teams.

That kind of situation occurs quite a bit across all sports.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT