ADVERTISEMENT

Section-by-Section State Title Game Win-Loss Records (2006 to 2019)

SearsPoints

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2007
Found this tidbit on CalHiSports.

SECTION-BY-SECTION STATE TITLE GAME
WIN-LOSS RECORDS (2006 to 2019)

San Francisco 3-0
Oakland 3-1
Sac-Joaquin 19-14
Southern 33-27
Northern 3-3
North Coast 18-19
L.A. City 3-4
San Diego 12-15
Central 6-9
Central Coast 6-12

San Francisco 3-0
Oakland 3-1
Sac-Joaquin 19-14
Southern 33-27
Northern 3-3
North Coast 18-19
L.A. City 3-4
San Diego 12-15
Central 6-9
Central Coast 6-12
Interesting. Here's the section win rate:
1. SFS 100%, 3 games
2. OS 75%, 4 games
3. SJS 58%, 33 games
4. SS 55%, 60 games
5. NS 50%, 6 games
6. NCS 49%, 37 games
7. SDS 44%, 27 games
8. LAS 43%, 7 games
9. CS 40%, 15 games
10. CCS 33%, 18 games

If we rule out the sections with just a few games, SJS and SS have the best records and CS and CCS have the worst records.

Last edited:

San Francisco 3-0
Oakland 3-1
Sac-Joaquin 19-14
Southern 33-27
Northern 3-3
North Coast 18-19
L.A. City 3-4
San Diego 12-15
Central 6-9
Central Coast 6-12

Except that you are mixing Bowl Games with Title games. Havent had Title games for years now...

Except that you are mixing Bowl Games with Title games. Havent had Title games for years now...

And someone looking at this with no context might think SF is a strong section for football. Forget that they invented a 14th level just for that “section”.

Wonder what the numbers would look like if the Folsom rule didn’t take place. Central and CCS could possibly have a couple more wins.

When was that? 2014?

Reactions: RedZone90

Just curious? Do states like Florida & Georgia have Title games or are they Bowl games also? As far as I know they both claim their winners State Champions.

Let's look at Florida. You've got IMG as the highest rated Florida school but yet St Thomas Aquinas is considered a State Champion? They didn't play each other similar to Central East Fresno never having played St. John Bosco. Question is, are both State Champs or Bowl winners?

More about Florida, their top 4 rated schools which are also top 30 in the country, are an Independent, 7A, 6A & 5A. None of them played each other in the State Championship game but are all considered State Champs.

Looking a little closer, #2 St Thomas beat #5 Edgewater, #3 Central beat #16 Escambia and #4 Northwestern beat #11 Jones. In Georgia, which claims to have State Champions, you've got a clear cut State Champ with #1 Marietta beating #2 Lowndes in 7A but the next State Champ is #7 Harrison beating #21 Allatoona in 6A.

So are these other states any different than California? We had #1 St John Bosco beat #3 DLS in the Open, #7 Central Fresno beat #9 Sierra Canyon in 1AA, and #15 Pacifica beating #45 MACK in 1A. I hear a lot of complaining about MACK having to play Pacifica with their higher enrollment, but remember, MACK was rated a whole lot higher before tipoff. I just feel MACK got caught on an off night. Speaking of enrollment, Ripon with 900 kids beat a Highland school with 4000.

Reactions: Cal 14
Just curious? Do states like Florida & Georgia have Title games or are they Bowl games also? As far as I know they both claim their winners State Champions.

Let's look at Florida. You've got IMG as the highest rated Florida school but yet St Thomas Aquinas is considered a State Champion? They didn't play each other similar to Central East Fresno never having played St. John Bosco. Question is, are both State Champs or Bowl winners?

More about Florida, their top 4 rated schools which are also top 30 in the country, are an Independent, 7A, 6A & 5A. None of them played each other in the State Championship game but are all considered State Champs.

Looking a little closer, #2 St Thomas beat #5 Edgewater, #3 Central beat #16 Escambia and #4 Northwestern beat #11 Jones. In Georgia, which claims to have State Champions, you've got a clear cut State Champ with #1 Marietta beating #2 Lowndes in 7A but the next State Champ is #7 Harrison beating #21 Allatoona in 6A.

So are these other states any different than California? We had #1 St John Bosco beat #3 DLS in the Open, #7 Central Fresno beat #9 Sierra Canyon in 1AA, and #15 Pacifica beating #45 MACK in 1A. I hear a lot of complaining about MACK having to play Pacifica with their higher enrollment, but remember, MACK was rated a whole lot higher before tipoff. I just feel MACK got caught on an off night. Speaking of enrollment, Ripon with 900 kids beat a Highland school with 4000.
MAC a bit off? Sure they had a great season but looked way outclassed from start to finish.

MAC a bit off? Sure they had a great season but looked way outclassed from start to finish.

MACK either had an off night or were very over rated? I say off night, they were rated in the 50's per calpreps and #11 in the country for small schools per maxpreps. MACK had quality wins over Marin Catholic and Campolindo. Pacifica had 1 quality win better than MACK, a sqeaker over La Serna. Going into that game no one figured Pacifica would have dominated they way they did. Wish I could turn the clock back a week, curious what Pacifica's rating was before the game.

Seriously, people need to stop whining about this. Every state has multiple divisions. 3 or 5 are way too low for California.

MACK either had an off night or were very over rated? I say off night, they were rated in the 50's per calpreps and #11 in the country for small schools per maxpreps. MACK had quality wins over Marin Catholic and Campolindo. Pacifica had 1 quality win better than MACK, a sqeaker over La Serna. Going into that game no one figured Pacifica would have dominated they way they did. Wish I could turn the clock back a week, curious what Pacifica's rating was before the game.

Oakland McClymonds (47) (50.4) vs. Oxnard Pacifica (51) (51.5)

Calpreps: Pacifica 34, McClymonds 31

FL has State Championships by School Enrollment Classification, where CA uses competitive equity and does not use enrollment. I have no issues with CA using the system, just they shouldnt be called titles or state champions. Outside of the Open, the rest should be simply labeled as CA Bowl Champions.

FL Classifications
For 2019-20, the schools were classified based upon the total number of high school students, as follows:
Class 8A - 2,406-4,799
Class 7A - 2,009-2,404
Class 6A - 1,663-1,993
Class 5A - 1,169-1,648
Class 4A - 752-1,153
Class 3A - 384-749
Class 2A - 56-376
Class 1A* - 100-600
*Bracket 1A is specifically identified as "Rural".

And someone looking at this with no context might think SF is a strong section for football. Forget that they invented a 14th level just for that “section”.
No, actually the SS section added a 14th division. Before that, there was a 14th week pre-bowl game to decide who would be in
FL has State Championships by School Enrollment Classification, where CA uses competitive equity and does not use enrollment. I have no issues with CA using the system, just they shouldnt be called titles or state champions. Outside of the Open, the rest should be simply labeled as CA Bowl Champions.

FL Classifications
For 2019-20, the schools were classified based upon the total number of high school students, as follows:
Class 8A - 2,406-4,799
Class 7A - 2,009-2,404
Class 6A - 1,663-1,993
Class 5A - 1,169-1,648
Class 4A - 752-1,153
Class 3A - 384-749
Class 2A - 56-376
Class 1A* - 100-600
*Bracket 1A is specifically identified as "Rural".
Interesting - I'll bet you have many FL fans saying 7A is better then 8A. And according to CalPreps, it true. In CA, you don't have to guess.

You must not have read that IMG can't play CA teams because they don't belong to a division or a league. And in Florida, they can't compete in playoffs. In CA, DLS was forced to be a part of a league so they could compete with other CA schools.

San Francisco 3-0
Oakland 3-1
Sac-Joaquin 19-14
Southern 33-27
Northern 3-3
North Coast 18-19
L.A. City 3-4
San Diego 12-15
Central 6-9
Central Coast 6-12
That settles that, the San Francisco Section is the new power in the state. Forget Folsom and De La Salle!

Reactions: SqMike and FBAddict
If it is equity-based it is a Bowl game...if it is enrollment-based it is a Title game (unless there is one agreed-upon “title” game (which could be either equity or enrollment). There, I said it. In California, the only true “title” is the Open Game. Bosco v DLS...the rest is window decoration.

If it is equity-based it is a Bowl game...if it is enrollment-based it is a Title game (unless there is one agreed-upon “title” game (which could be either equity or enrollment). There, I said it. In California, the only true “title” is the Open Game. Bosco v DLS...the rest is window decoration.

The Open should be the only true title game. The only problem is there is no actual real playoff beyond section, except the Open game itself. While it appears they do get the best team in NorCal & SoCal in most every year, the lack of an actual playoff between the best teams in each section renders it a guessing game. Albeit an educated guess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT