ADVERTISEMENT

Serious Question from a SoCal Football Fan

QPRTrinity

Superstar
Apr 22, 2022
I've had this question now for years which I've been asking on other forums, chatrooms, and the YouTube comment section for CLA Sports and UTR. What's going on with NorCal football compared to down south? It can't just be the population size because NY and IL both have a comparable population as SoCal. Is it because of the demographics in San Francisco, Silicon Valley, and parts of East Bay like Berkeley where parents don't want their kids playing contact sports? And would rather have them play e-sports or non contact sports like rowing or tennis? It's gotten to the point that multiple skill players are leaving the Bay Area to play football in the Trinity league now.

Part of my theory has to do with the nature of football itself. It's a working class sport and SoCal has an abundance of working class areas such as the Inland Empire, South LA, and of course inner city LA. All three geographic areas are major feeders into the Trinity League/Cen10/ Serra Gardena and the up and coming schools like Alemany and Sierra Canyon. I've been to Silicon Valley, SF, and Moraga/Walnut Creek and those places are the polar opposite of working class. They generally have those extreme liberal minded families that don't want the kids to play sports or at least try to discourage them. In contrast to the areas I listed in SoCal, if it wasn't for sports, they wouldn't be going to college. It's their way out, where in contrast the Silicon Valley families don't prioritize contact sports since they're just focused on getting their children into ivy leagues or expensive private schools. This all leads to a major dilution and gulf in talent, all on top of private schools not allowing recruiting, which I personally think is perposterous. No one likes to lose and the weak admin needs to take the leash off these coaches and let them compete.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I think there are plenty of extremely liberal minded family’s in SOCal and plenty of working class Americans in NorCal so I just don’t see the general connection honestly. That might be the case for some one to one comparisons between specific counties but I would look more into population density, school size, Quality of the football facilities, recruiting, things of that nature for the real glaring differences.

Reactions: concrete17
Makes sense. I think coaching might make a difference too. When you have former NFL quarterbacks coaching you like Clausen at Alemany or some of the best prep coaches in the industry like Rollinson or Logan, it makes a big difference.

I wish there was more competition up north. We are getting tired of seeing De La L and that outdated veer offense. Hopefully Serra or Folsom can seize the opportunity now that DLS is slipping bad. They need to recruit harder though if they want to compete with the powers down here in the Trinity, but one step at a time.

just my 2 cents.

I don't think recruiting is allowed anywhere in the state, although Mater Dei and St John Bosco have a knack for, ahem, collecting a lot of talent. The Monarchs and Braves are like junior college teams.

I've had this question now for years which I've been asking on other forums, chatrooms, and the YouTube comment section for CLA Sports and UTR. What's going on with NorCal football compared to down south? It can't just be the population size because NY and IL both have a comparable population as SoCal. Is it because of the demographics in San Francisco, Silicon Valley, and parts of East Bay like Berkeley where parents don't want their kids playing contact sports? And would rather have them play e-sports or non contact sports like rowing or tennis? It's gotten to the point that multiple skill players are leaving the Bay Area to play football in the Trinity league now.

Part of my theory has to do with the nature of football itself. It's a working class sport and SoCal has an abundance of working class areas such as the Inland Empire, South LA, and of course inner city LA. All three geographic areas are major feeders into the Trinity League/Cen10/ Serra Gardena and the up and coming schools like Alemany and Sierra Canyon. I've been to Silicon Valley, SF, and Moraga/Walnut Creek and those places are the polar opposite of working class. They generally have those extreme liberal minded families that don't want the kids to play sports or at least try to discourage them. In contrast to the areas I listed in SoCal, if it wasn't for sports, they wouldn't be going to college. It's their way out, where in contrast the Silicon Valley families don't prioritize contact sports since they're just focused on getting their children into ivy leagues or expensive private schools. This all leads to a major dilution and gulf in talent, all on top of private schools not allowing recruiting, which I personally think is perposterous. No one likes to lose and the weak admin needs to take the leash off these coaches and let them compete.

Just my 2 cents.
.........just your 2 scents, ................uhhh
..............got it.

Last edited:
I think teams in So Cal woke up about 12+ years ago and realized the only way to beat De la Salle was to;

Do away with transfer rules so MD and SJB type teams could bring in players as sophomores, juniors, and in some cases, for just their senior years so as to create super teams.

ok and you're saying private schools in Northern California don't recruit then? april fools was weeks ago buddy

I don’t think SoCal football is better than NorCal football by any stretch. Truth is, The Trinity League is better than any league in the country. I mean, who’s better? Not the WCAC. Not the NJ Super Red League. And that’s truly what stands out. The LA City section is down bad. I’m sure some teams are better than others but there isn’t a public school in LA that’s competing with Pitt, Folsom, CVC or even schools like Wilcox right now.

The state has a huge problem right now with private Catholic schools cleaning up on talent and leaving the left overs for the publics. Hopefully the CIF comes down and imposes tougher transfer rules along with tougher out of district/out of area admission requirements. I doubt it. The Archdiocese has proven that they are ready and willing to pony up the money to over step the CIF.

Right off the top of my head I can think of an LA public school that can beat all the schools you mention, Centennial Corona

Reactions: THEOC89
I think teams in So Cal woke up about 12+ years ago and realized the only way to beat De la Salle was to;

Do away with transfer rules so MD and SJB type teams could bring in players as sophomores, juniors, and in some cases, for just their senior years so as to create super teams.
There has never been a rule that says you can’t transfer to a school at any point of your HS career.

Generally you do not have players transferring to NorCal private schools from 90 minutes or two hours away unless they have moved.
That statement seems rather funny after all the years I heard complaining about DLS bringing in kids from all over the Bay Area

Reactions: remc and RedZone90
what's going on with the class of 2024? I don't see any of the usual representatives on the list from the dominant programs up north.

what's going on with the class of 2024? I don't see any of the usual representatives on the list from the dominant programs up north.

I don’t know man what is going on? Im sure you’re dying to tell us your opinion, so just spit it out already. Where I am from its April of 2022 so I’m not quite at the stage where I’m figuring out what teenagers are going to be at physically in 2 years ?

I don’t know man what is going on? Im sure you’re dying to tell us your opinion, so just spit it out already. Where I am from its April of 2022 so I’m not quite at the stage where I’m figuring out what teenagers are going to be at physically in 2 years ?
so scouts are able to project how football players south of Fresno will be like two years away but not for the north?

so scouts are able to project how football players south of Fresno will be like two years away but not for the north?
I don’t know Einstein I’m not a friggin scout, I don’t know what they do to feed their families and don’t really care…..only thing I know is that humans around the world change and develop differently from the ages of 15-18 beyond that I can’t tell you what the scouts know

• Haha
Reactions: QPRTrinity
There are at least three kids from Serra San Mateo on that 2024 list. Regarding your original question, I believe SoCal has around twice the population of NorCal.

Also, the 8th grade redshirt or double-redshirt where kids go to prep academies before high school is very popular in SoCal. I hardly ever hear of that happening in NorCal. Some of those star players in SoCal are actually adults playing against kids.

The Bay Area is in significant decline in producing Football programs. Alot of it started around the same time as a the CTE issue was coming to light. I saw it first hand at the youth level from one year to the next. Numbers continually in decline, leagues having to merge with other leagues just to stay a float. Also demographics are rapidly changing in the Bay Area as well. From families once proud to have their kids play football and represent their schools and towns, to families who are now more focused on academic pursuits and scared to death to have their kids participate in a contact sport.

Really? Which ones?
In the past I know JT Daniels was a double holdback...but doesn't matter whether he played against people his age or not in high school, he was a highly regarded recruit. Started for a while at national champion Georgia and hopefully he can win the job now at WVU.

The Bay Area is in significant decline in producing Football programs. Alot of it started around the same time as a the CTE issue was coming to light. I saw it first hand at the youth level from one year to the next. Numbers continually in decline, leagues having to merge with other leagues just to stay a float. Also demographics are rapidly changing in the Bay Area as well. From families once proud to have their kids play football and represent their schools and towns, to families who are now more focused on academic pursuits and scared to death to have their kids participate in a contact sport.
I completely agree with you.If you look at the inner city demographics of LA they change from American of African decent to American of Latin decent.Even in historically black neighborhoods like south central.

In the past I know JT Daniels was a double holdback...but doesn't matter whether he played against people his age or not in high school, he was a highly regarded recruit. Started for a while at national champion Georgia and hopefully he can win the job now at WVU.
Mater Dei junior quarterback JT Daniels, who this week was named the Gatorade national high school player of the year, announced Friday that he will reclassify as a senior so he can enroll at USC for the 2018-19 school year.

Daniels, who committed to USC in July, made his official announcement via a video released on Twitter.

Daniels, 17, set several Orange County and CIF-Southern Section passing records since taking over as Mater Dei’s starting quarterback early in his freshman year.

Another big decline in participation in NorCal is at the youth football level. With only a few hours of hitting allowed per week in high school, football in this state has become pretty mamby pamby.

Last edited:
Reactions: THEOC89
I think a better way to look at talent is college accomplishments/NFL contracts and not recruiting rankings. My guess is SoCal is still ahead of NorCal, but this region has done pretty well in terms of NFL guys in the past decade

I think a better way to look at talent is college accomplishments/NFL contracts and not recruiting rankings. My guess is SoCal is still ahead of NorCal, but this region has done pretty well in terms of NFL guys in the past decade
I agree Streak, there have been plenty of Norcal players that were very successful at the college level.

I completely agree with you.If you look at the inner city demographics of LA they change from American of African decent to American of Latin decent.Even in historically black neighborhoods like south central.
mexicans have always been in south cental. there just were more black families. now like pittsburg/antioch/stockon is to oakland and san franciso. riverside/mo valley/ontario/eastvale is to LA/Compton and Long Beach. Also parents still in LA dont want their kids going to public school. It was prideful when i went, not so much anymore

mexicans have always been in south cental. there just were more black families. now like pittsburg/antioch/stockon is to oakland and san franciso. riverside/mo valley/ontario/eastvale is to LA/Compton and Long Beach. Also parents still in LA dont want their kids going to public school. It was prideful when i went, not so much anymore
Yes of course they have been there it’s the percentage has now changed to majority.

i dunno about that. Whenever I'm in DTLA or South LA its central americans, african americans, and polynesians.
just like oakland, they may be there but they dont live there. LBC is still Poly heavy, South Central has blacks. But nowhere near the 80s, 90s and early 00s. They moved east as far as Vegas. Sure the 6 teams in the Coliseum league and 5 teams in the Marine league are still mostly black. However the talent is not there anymore because the numbers are not there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT