ADVERTISEMENT

Serious Question from a SoCal Football Fan

what's going on with the class of 2024? I don't see any of the usual representatives on the list from the dominant programs up north.

There are of course more players on the list from the south because there are considerably more schools and players. Not sure what you were looking at but I saw players on here from De La Salle, Folsom, Serra, Central Catholic, and others. That pales in comparison to Mater Dei and others, and that is indicative of the imbalance at the very top of the football pyramid. Pandora's box has been opened and it doesn't look like anyone in the state can compete with the big two or three at the very top level. Fortunately there are many other divisions so other schools can have some success in the state bowl games. Now that De La Salle has perhaps slipped a bit, or other north teams maybe have caught up, there is hope in the north Open division. In the south, it must be discouraging for schools in the Open division who are not the top teams as they really don't have a chance. Better to be in Div. 1 for a chance for a state bowl game win.

just like oakland, they may be there but they dont live there. LBC is still Poly heavy, South Central has blacks. But nowhere near the 80s, 90s and early 00s. They moved east as far as Vegas. Sure the 6 teams in the Coliseum league and 5 teams in the Marine league are still mostly black. However the talent is not there anymore because the numbers are not there.
No doubt demographics have shifted both down there and up here. Up here depends on locality but the theme is more immigrant Asian and smaller family sizes, middle/working class folks of all races have moved mainly east, look at east Contra Costa and Sac/Stockton/Modesto areas, football is still thriving out there.

Down south in LA no doubt many longtime Black families (and white and hispanic even poly) have moved eat to Riverside/Palmdale/Vegas, look at the explosion of population and success of youth football there.

Central Americans do not play football much, but many Mexican Americans have and do. Actually one of the top LA public schools football team is Garfield HS which has been nearly all Latino since the 60s and has always had Mexican American football players down to early 1900's. You'll see plenty of Spanish surnames on rosters all over SoCal even at Mater Dei, SJB, Bishop Amat, ect.. and most public schools. Although many are mixed heritage and multi generation Americans in comparison to some areas of NorCal.

No doubt demographics have shifted both down there and up here. Up here depends on locality but the theme is more immigrant Asian and smaller family sizes, middle/working class folks of all races have moved mainly east, look at east Contra Costa and Sac/Stockton/Modesto areas, football is still thriving out there.

Down south in LA no doubt many longtime Black families (and white and hispanic even poly) have moved eat to Riverside/Palmdale/Vegas, look at the explosion of population and success of youth football there.

Central Americans do not play football much, but many Mexican Americans have and do. Actually one of the top LA public schools football team is Garfield HS which has been nearly all Latino since the 60s and has always had Mexican American football players down to early 1900's. You'll see plenty of Spanish surnames on rosters all over SoCal even at Mater Dei, SJB, Bishop Amat, ect.. and most public schools. Although many are mixed heritage and multi generation Americans in comparison to some areas of NorCal.
forgot about palmdale and lancaster. another escape route for native south centralers

There isn't a big gap between NorCal and SoCal. There is a gap between how they conduct business.

SoCal has essentially mastered the art of recruiting all the most talented kids into a 2 or 3 schools. This would be the equivalent in NorCal to say- DLS, Folsom, Pitt, Serra, SF, etc.....all teaming up and coming together to form one "monster squad." Possibly even 1 or 2 more.

If NorCal business was conducted the 'SoCal way," you would see head to head competitive in the open division much more competitive year in and year out. Problem is, this will never happen. I personally like the way NorCal has kept a more traditional HSFB approach...still sort of like a Friday Night Lights feel in most places. I hope it never goes away solely for the sake of satisfying a few overzealous fans and parents in SoCal.

There isn't a big gap between NorCal and SoCal. There is a gap between how they conduct business.

SoCal has essentially mastered the art of recruiting all the most talented kids into a 2 or 3 schools. This would be the equivalent in NorCal to say- DLS, Folsom, Pitt, Serra, SF, etc.....all teaming up and coming together to form one "monster squad." Possibly even 1 or 2 more.

If NorCal business was conducted the 'SoCal way," you would see head to head competitive in the open division much more competitive year in and year out. Problem is, this will never happen. I personally like the way NorCal has kept a more traditional HSFB approach...still sort of like a Friday Night Lights feel in most places. I hope it never goes away solely for the sake of satisfying a few overzealous fans and parents in SoCal.
ummm de la salle recruits just like mater dei and bosco.

Reactions: QPRTrinity
I think it's HIGHLY unfair to even compare what DLS does to MD and Bosco.

To be frank- it isn't even on the same planet.

The only thing DLS has in common with MD and Bosco is being a private school.

As an example- If DLS had even ONE kid transfer in for ONE semester from a hundred miles away and live with a host family, then return "home," they would get slaughtered on this forum and accused of cheating. This same scenario is going on down south regularly. Rather than becoming royal pariahs, these schools are being cheered on! One day, this will be a highly interesting case study.

Last edited:
I think it's HIGHLY unfair to even compare what DLS does to MD and Bosco.

To be frank- it isn't even on the same planet.

The only thing DLS has in common with MD and Bosco is being a private school.

As an example- If DLS had even ONE kid transfer in for ONE semester from a hundred miles away and live with a host family, then return "home," they would get slaughtered on this forum and accused of cheating. This same scenario is going on down south regularly. Rather than becoming royal pariahs, these schools are being cheered on! One day, this will be a highly interesting case study.
its recruiting. there isnt a 1st 2nd 3rd degree. it is all unfair. if a kid wanted to come from 100 miles they would say come in for the name of the lord

Name the kids and schools In this regular activity

Actually, DLS does NOT recruit like MD and SJB. DLS kids come in as freshmen and you do not see kids transferring into DLS after their freshmen, sophomore, or even junior years from another school, which happens in the Southern Section.

Remember, the only reason MD and SJB went to their current rotten system is because they could not beat DLS.

Lot of SoCal talent drafted today. Kayvon Thibodeaux of Oaks Christian, Trent McDuffie of St. John Bosco, and Drake London of Moorpark. Where are the norcal players at?

Lot of SoCal talent drafted today. Kayvon Thibodeaux of Oaks Christian, Trent McDuffie of St. John Bosco, and Drake London of Moorpark. Where are the norcal players at?

yeah so cal typically has more talent then Nor cal? What’s your fvcking point?

Reactions: QPRTrinity
Not even close. And yes, DLS has had players transfer in after freshman year who play big roles on the team they are on. Vitale Pepe is the most recent one I can remember but that was from 2012 I think and he came in as a soph. They don’t get the college recruited players who spend one semester at a school for football.

How far is Stockton to Anaheim?
you guys love to just name that one norcal kid who came down to play in the Trinity. We recruit SoCal hard down here in the Trinity and they are not 100 miles away... usually anywhere between 10 to 50 miles (at most)

you guys love to just name that one norcal kid who came down to play in the Trinity. We recruit SoCal hard down here in the Trinity and they are not 100 miles away... usually anywhere between 10 to 50 miles (at most)

so what ? Why dont you go to the So Cal Board and have circle jerk about the greatness of the Trinity?

its recruiting. there isnt a 1st 2nd 3rd degree. it is all unfair. if a kid wanted to come from 100 miles they would say come in for the name of the lord
DLS doesn't recruit. DLS attracts.

MD, Bosco, etc......recruit. Huge difference.

When DLS starts setting up host families and 1 semester scholarships, then get at me.

Anyone who knows me, knows I am the FARTHEST thing from a DLS fan or homer. I am speaking the truth.

So possibly one kid is regularly lol
Grown men really shouldn’t whine
There are literally multiple kids EVERY season coming in for a semester, playing, and leaving. This doesn't even address the kids staying all year with host families! There have been multiple articles written by SoCal authors about all of this. It isn't a secret.

The fact that you are even denying this is laughable at this point. Just admit it and move on lol. Asking people for names at this point just makes you look silly. This has all been public knowledge for years.

Nobody is whining. Nobody really cares. It's the lying and denial that is the issue.

The SoCal excuse train follows this exact book:
1. Deny it happened
2. (When presented with proof) "Well it was only 1 or 2 kids!"
3. (Presented with more proof of more kids) "You're just whining, get better!"
4. Deny it happened

Here's two just from Rancho Cucamonga.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02...-dei-transfers-caught-de-la-salles-attention/

And this doesn't begin to address the whole "host families" issue that is very well known.

At this point, denial is just silly, even for you @ararar
I don’t have to deny anything
You made a statement that this is a 100 mile regular occurrence then you post two kids from a few years ago.as usual you make claims you can’t prove which seems to be the norm over here.
Over the years the same whining was posted innumerable times about DLS when they were the dominant team.Now that they are not they have suddenly become pure as could be.
If you have proof any team is cheating you should turn them in not whine on a message board.

I don’t have to deny anything
You made a statement that this is a 100 mile regular occurrence then you post two kids from a few years ago.as usual you make claims you can’t prove which seems to be the norm over here.
Over the years the same whining was posted innumerable times about DLS when they were the dominant team.Now that they are not they have suddenly become pure as could be.
If you have proof any team is cheating you should turn them in not whine on a message board.
The proof is all public knowledge. Not debatable.

Can you shed some light on the taboo issue of "host families." I'd love to know more.

There are literally multiple kids EVERY season coming in for a semester, playing, and leaving. This doesn't even address the kids staying all year with host families! There have been multiple articles written by SoCal authors about all of this. It isn't a secret.
Prove it ,name names or it’s all just you whining

The proof is all public knowledge. Not debatable.

Can you shed some light on the taboo issue of "host families." I'd love to know more.
Again prove it name names
If it’s public then obviously no rules have been broken

Again prove it name names
If it’s public then obviously no rules have been broken
I have provided an article.

Host families have also been referred to in multiple public articles.

Denying the whole issue as if it doesn't happen is really silly man- even for you. Funny thing, its not even illegal. So, why would you come on here and deny it? Is it some type of little man SoCal syndrome because you don't want people to take away from the success of these programs? It it is, just say so. Not a big deal.

I have provided an article.

Host families have also been referred to in multiple public articles.

Denying the whole issue as if it doesn't happen is really silly man- even for you. Funny thing, its not even illegal. So, why would you come on here and deny it? Is it some type of little man SoCal syndrome because you don't want people to take away from the success of these programs? It it is, just say so. Not a big deal.
So you’re whining about nothing illegal happening 😂
And I’m the insecure one 😂
Every time I challenge these statements it’s always ends up the same
Either no proof or nothing illegal
But y’all will still whine because
You’re In your feelings 😂

So you’re whining about nothing illegal happening 😂
And I’m the insecure one 😂
Every time I challenge these statements it’s always ends up the same
Either no proof or nothing illegal
But y’all will still whine because
You’re In your feelings 😂
I'm not the one denying public knowledge because of you're feelings :)

You are missing the point- You are denying things that have been publicly proven under the guise of "others thinking it is illegal." No one thinks it's illegal. We all just think it's funny that you continue to deny this stuff is happening like it's some big secret lol

You are the Dale and Brennan of Step Brothers lol

Transfer Numbers Per CIF…..

MD- 64
FOLSOM- 55
Cen10- 47
Mission Viejo- 44
SJB- 31 (All Boys School)

So Nor Cal Power Folsom Ranks Right at the Top with MD for Most Athletic Transfers yet only So Cal Schools “Recruit” and a Nor Cal School with just as many transfers Does not…. Makes Total Sense….🤣🤣

Also…. Who Cares…. If HS coaches Recruit to build better programs I agree with @MC415 ,More Power To Them…. Let the kids go where they think it’s best….

Time to move on from this worn out, useless topic…

Transfer Numbers Per CIF…..

MD- 64
FOLSOM- 55
Cen10- 47
Mission Viejo- 44
SJB- 31 (All Boys School)

So Nor Cal Power Folsom Ranks Right at the Top with MD for Most Athletic Transfers yet only So Cal Schools “Recruit” and a Nor Cal School with just as many transfers Does not…. Makes Total Sense….🤣🤣

Also…. Who Cares…. If HS coaches Recruit to build better programs I agree with @MC415 ,More Power To Them…. Let the kids go where they think it’s best….

Time to move on from this worn out, useless topic…
MD- Transfers with host families

Folsom- transfers who have to live in Folsom

As a DLS fan with no affiliation to the school- You should know winning attracts talent :)

at the end of the day, it is the parents job to put their child in the best position to succeed in life. if you mad about it, tell your team to buckle up the straps and get bigger, faster and stronger.
i also dont get the recruit vs attract. surely md and sjb and servite attract them too.

Reactions: THEOC89
Actually, DLS does NOT recruit like MD and SJB. DLS kids come in as freshmen and you do not see kids transferring into DLS after their freshmen, sophomore, or even junior years from another school, which happens in the Southern Section.

Remember, the only reason MD and SJB went to their current rotten system is because they could not beat DLS.
It was because of lawsuits brought by members. Not everything is about DLS.

at the end of the day, it is the parents job to put their child in the best position to succeed in life. if you mad about it, tell your team to buckle up the straps and get bigger, faster and stronger.
i also dont get the recruit vs attract. surely md and sjb and servite attract them too.
Agreed but attracting and recruiting are a combined thing……these schools are battling for same dudes, so first thing you have to attract their attention then recruit your pitch for them to pick one over the other…..you cant be a top 10 national power in college or high school if you aren’t winning the arms race……and there is nothing with admitting thats what you’re doing since its pretty much legal for privates to do

Nobody is mad about it. Most people think it's insane, but I don't think most people truly care.

I think it's more of an issue of denial from the SoCal homers. Everyone in the country knows whats going on there and there are still these weird denials from people. Truly bizarre.

Nobody is mad about it. Most people think it's insane, but I don't think most people truly care.

I think it's more of an issue of denial from the SoCal homers. Everyone in the country knows whats going on there and there are still these weird denials from people. Truly bizarre.
You know nothing of what’s going on at these schools 😂 your feelings are hurt so you run with accusations with absolutely no proof of your claims.
That’s the way of social media today.Just post it and that makes it true 😂pretend it’s widely known 😂with no proof.
Sorry but I’m still from the you have to prove your accusations generation.
If you do that I will gladly post my apologies for being wrong.

You know nothing of what’s going on at these schools 😂 your feelings are hurt so you run with accusations with absolutely no proof of your claims.
That’s the way of social media today.Just post it and that makes it true 😂pretend it’s widely known 😂with no proof.
I provided an article above highlighted two kids from Rancho Cucamonga.

Are you disputing these kids attended to play football for a semester and went "home" after?

The article is very clear.

This article specifically addresses the known usage of host families by SJB and MD. Are you denying this too?

“It started when they hired Jason Negro,” Sondheimer said. “He’s the one who created this way of doing things and winning to attract players. It was Rollo [Rollinson], who hadn’t won a championship since before 2000, who didn’t want to recruit. But he saw Bosco’s success and decided, ‘Screw this.’ So he adopted the St. John Bosco way of doing things — to get in touch with youth football coaches and host camps before bringing in kids left and right.”

The recent CIF rule lets students play immediately when transferring schools if they are able to move their residence. This includes staying with a host family for the school year or football season before transferring back to their original schools second semester. Roggin said Mater Dei and Bosco have let that happen."

This article specifically addresses the known usage of host families by SJB and MD. Are you denying this too?

“It started when they hired Jason Negro,” Sondheimer said. “He’s the one who created this way of doing things and winning to attract players. It was Rollo [Rollinson], who hadn’t won a championship since before 2000, who didn’t want to recruit. But he saw Bosco’s success and decided, ‘Screw this.’ So he adopted the St. John Bosco way of doing things — to get in touch with youth football coaches and host camps before bringing in kids left and right.”

The recent CIF rule lets students play immediately when transferring schools if they are able to move their residence. This includes staying with a host family for the school year or football season before transferring back to their original schools second semester. Roggin said Mater Dei and Bosco have let that happen."
dog eat dog world. adapt and survive. or whine about it on the interwebs

dog eat dog world. adapt and survive. or whine about it on the interwebs
Nobody is whining. I think people just want transparency.

Everyone and their mom knows what is going on. To come on here and deny it and act like those schools are winning simply out of nobility is pretty silly.

Would you agree?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT