ADVERTISEMENT

SF Gate article "Bay Area football powerhouse Serra is screwed because...."

Rmbr26

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2004
How many others missed this? Can't remember a sports reporter roasting a coach this badly in quite awhile and it IS bad!
A long-time ex-faculty person from Serra alerted me to the article with the comment "What on earth could they be thinking over there?" Not sure of the responses stated in the article or how well thought out there were. Regardless it puts Serra in a very poor light. What does everyone else think? Hoping the game tonite vs Pitt is not a complete bust after reading... disappointing for sure.

This interview wasn't in person, the questions were sent, Walsh had time to review the questions, think about his answers and what he would say and replied. Walsh's answers put Serra and himself in a very poor light.

How many football teams have 100% vax rate? I would guess very few. I think will see outbreaks or contact tracing ineligibility fairly often this year.

Nothing more cringe when anti vaxxers try to site HIPAA concerns when it doesn’t apply, trying to sound smart when they don’t even know the most basic thing when it comes to HIPAA
Hippa or not, HS coaches are not allowed to ask, tell, or persuade. He was right. It’s not his job and he’s not allowed. All they can do is preach subtleties and hope for the best. Coaches have gotten in hot water over these issues. Don’t hate on the guy who almost singlehandedly gave us the late HS season last year

Let’s be honest, Coach Walsh is a GREAT ADVOCATE for HS prep sports and specifically about HS Prep FB

But also let continue to be honest in his false statements. HIPPA excuse is null in void when no PMI hx. is not given. I would have thought as intelligent as I have always thought Walsh to be not to use that “Dog Whistle”.

He can have his personal views and being at a private faith based school be justified. But for him to be alterestic(sp?) is a little hypocritical.

As long as this issue is needed to be decided prior to a recall election, not State Authority will make a State CIF decision.

Let’s be honest, Coach Walsh is a GREAT ADVOCATE for HS prep sports and specifically about HS Prep FB

But also let continue to be honest in his false statements. HIPPA excuse is null in void when no PMI hx. is not given. I would have thought as intelligent as I have always thought Walsh to be not to use that “Dog Whistle”.

He can have his personal views and being at a private faith based school be justified. But for him to be alterestic(sp?) is a little hypocritical.

As long as this issue is needed to be decided prior to a recall election, not State Authority will make a State CIF decision.
Let's be even more honest. Why on god's earth would you make any kind of statement that could or could not be interpreted as invading anyone's medical privacy? You going to fund his legal defense?

Reactions: Truthhertz
Okay Jr. Johnny Crochan 😳😊…Please know the information once you post.

To violate HIPPA, one most reveal PMI (personal medical identifiers). Thus stating Vaccination Rates of Team does not do that, in fact it would Coach Walsh cover to state the Adherence to CDC Health & Safety guidelines or even establish a baseline that is consistent with community benchmark.

In this article Coach Walsh is correct he should not direct players to vaccinated, that is btwn a under aged players and their parents. But I also feel he should inform of risk of not getting vaccinated. So players and parents will understand that players exposed have to go into quarantine. Remember if you are vaccinated you don’t.

Remember the Mantra….”Let them play” how about help them play?

Reactions: Cal 14 and MC415
Sorry for going on a RANT here, but let me dumb down to your opinion of stating vaccinate rates of FB team.

Are you saying the Dept. Of Health Human services shouldn’t report vaccination rates for Nation,State, County separating out individual cities and geographic areas. Guess what Jr.Johnny’s they do and that is not breaking HIPPA.

Don’t get me wrong Coach Walsh IS one of the best FB coaches in CA. And should be recognized for that. But as we quote Spider-Man, “once given such great power is also given great responsibility”.

In my opinion, Coach Walsh tried a sloppy headline answer that can be shot down quickly and concisely…He is better than that?

“That’s my opinion…I could be wrong”

Reactions: aztecpadre
SFcityfan - It’s not a question of legality, but whether there is any benefit to sharing vax information with a reporter. There’s no upside that I can see. Just because someone asks you a question doesn’t mean you have to answer it.

SFcityfan - It’s not a question of legality, but whether there is any benefit to sharing vax information with a reporter. There’s no upside that I can see. Just because someone asks you a question doesn’t mean you have to answer it.
What you saying is completely different…why tell a untruth as an excuse. How about,” I don’t feel comfortable sharing that data”

it was via email….it was sloppy. Why can’t anyone just be honest about that fact. It does not make him a bad coach. It just points out his quick witted response was poor. Especially in that same article he claims, “it is not his role to talk to students about vaccinations” But you can lie to the press? Very faith based educator example?

But I give Walsh credit, on this board he can do no wrong

What you saying is completely different…why tell a untruth as an excuse. How about,” I don’t feel comfortable sharing that data”

it was via email….it was sloppy. Why can’t anyone just be honest about that fact. It does not make him a bad coach. It just points out his quick witted response was poor. Especially in that same article he claims, “it is not his role to talk to students about vaccinations” But you can lie to the press? Very faith based educator example?

But I give Walsh credit, on this board he can do no wrong
Being unfamiliar with the details of HIPAA and actively lying are two very different things. You, for example, spelled it incorrectly twice in this thread, so I imagine you are not an expert. Not many people are.

Edited to add that I think this is not one of Walsh’s best performances in an interview. He’s usually very good at it, but everyone has a bad game once in a while. It was likely cherry picked by the carpetbagger reporter, though.

Last edited:
The name should be name from the Padres to the Holier Than Thou's.

I would give them an extra game to play....how about a consolation game?

Being unfamiliar with the details of HIPAA and actively lying are two very different things. You, for example, spelled it incorrectly twice in this thread, so I imagine you are not an expert. Not many people are.

Edited to add that I think this is probably one of Walsh’s poorest performances in an interview. He’s usually very good at it, but everyone has a bad game once in a while.
A bad game once in a while. For G-d sakes man, grow up.

Reactions: colhenrylives
It would seem calling a football coach a liar for misstating or not having a clear understanding of laws, is pretty pathetic. It’s pretty simple health care and law aren’t his expertise here. I get it there are two crowds here, those that believe in choices and those that demand compliance. One quietly goes about it’s business regardless of their neighbors choices. The other must bully, belittle, and destroy his neighbor if they don’t comply.

Reactions: PatCarrillo
My first recollection of DLS was actually the Walsh-Toomer teams. I remember looking at the Examiner box scores week after week seeing scoring summary reading Walsh run, Walsh run, Walsh run with a speckle of Toomer rec. Of course back then they were a run oriented team, Toomer was like maybe the next Jerry Rice. Pretty nice little career.

Edited to add that I think this is probably one of Walsh’s poorest performances in an interview. He’s usually very good at it, but everyone has a bad game once in a while.
If your shade is miss spelling HIPPA, I am actually glad you googled it and resource what I said about PMI is actually factual.

Thank you for educating yourself….

My point is made and recieved

It would seem calling a football coach a liar for misstating or not having a clear understanding of laws, is pretty pathetic. It’s pretty simple health care and law aren’t his expertise here. I get it there are two crowds here, those that believe in choices and those that demand compliance. One quietly goes about it’s business regardless of their neighbors choices. The other must bully, belittle, and destroy his neighbor if they don’t comply.
You just made my point in your first two sentences, “know what you don’t know”.

Otherwise you are making stuff up, isn’t that a lie?

This is especially true when you email a response. A miss step in verbal interview is a Gaf. But a written email of disinformation, thus a lie.

Don’t you know ignorance is not an excuse😳😊.
Except if your Coach Walsh🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
This debate is:

If a leader is HS sports in CA, makes a mantra known throughout the country of…”Let them play”

I question his intentions if he doesn’t apply that mantra and educate himself to…”Help them play”

And not use false media sound bites to validate his opinions.

Those who believe in choices and Those that demand compliance?
You do wear a seat belt, it's mandated. You do stop at red lights, mandated.
Along with the many things in society that are mandated.
90% of the people in ICUs didn't bother to get a covid shot. I wonder if they are sitting there agreeing with your outlook right now.
And who are these people?
People are taking Ivermectin , a horse de-wormer, rather than get shots.
Your voice is so lacking in thought and reason. One wonders why you come on here and spout your nonsense.

Here's wishing you great football

Reactions: SmoothJay
90% of the people in ICUs didn't bother to get a covid shot. I wonder if they are sitting there agreeing with your outlook right now.
Your voice is so lacking in thought and reason. One wonders why you come on here and spout your nonsense.

I was with you until you spouted the nonsense claim that 90% of the people in ICUs didn't bother to get the covid shots. There is way too much data available for you to pull a fast one like that.

Now here's the interesting thing; Ivermectin is actually used by hospitals and physicians for patients with severe respiratory challenges from Covid. My good friend was in the hospital in Tucson for nearly a month this summer struggling for his life due to Covid respiratory issues. He was given Ivermectin as one of his medicines to help his body fight the illness. He is now home, but it was very touch a go for a while. Oh, and he was Covid vaccinated back in March.

Last edited:
This article is so out of line it’s ridiculous. You inform the Parents and families the outcome of vaccinated versus vaccinated. I’m vaccinated, believe in it, but not essentially mandating my team to take it. I would never be able to live with myself if the kid had an adverse event, very rare, like Covid harming them but possible. I can assure you Serra students have a higher vaccination rate than the average HS in the Bay Area. For a HC that has done so much for this game and 1000’s of players he coached, this article was way out of line. I will be surprised if there are no repercussions.

Reactions: Valley Boys
I was with you until you spouted the nonsense claim that 90% of the people in ICUs didn't bother to get the covid shots. There is way too much data available for you to pull a fast one like that.

Now here's the interesting thing; Ivermectin is actually used by hospitals and physicians for patients with severe respiratory challenges from Covid. My good friend was in the hospital in Tucson for nearly a month this summer struggling for his life due to Covid respiratory issues. He was given Ivermectin as one of his medicines to help his body fight the illness. He is now home, but it was very touch a go for a while. Oh, and he was Covid vaccinated back in March.

Ivermectin is approved for use in people, but only in the case of very specific parasitic diseases. The products meant for animals have different ingredients and have a larger concentration of the active ingredient that could be dangerous to a human.

So in short what people are taking out there off the shelves of their local feed stores is not safe or effective for humans. This is why you should consult with your physician.

Last edited:
Ivermectin is approved for use in people, but only in the case of very specific parasitic diseases. The products meant for animals have different ingredients and have a larger concentration of the active ingredient that could be dangerous to a human.

So in short what people are taking out there off the shelves of their local feed stores is not safe or effective for humans. This is why you should consult with your physician and not Alex Jones or 8chan message board for your medical needs.
You are exactly right. Frankly, the use of any chemicals/medicines for purposes other than what it was intended is irresponsible.

The problem, here, is that the CDC and other interested bodies/persons have tried to force the concept that only one approach to the pandemic is possible, trying to castigate all other concepts and methods. It creates distrust when such a heavy hand is used. When there is this much pressure to sway public opinion, one should follow the money to find the truth.

The state is allowing tackle football and other sports to take place after not allowing these sports for most of last season. There are very little restrictions from my understanding. I wouldn't say this is a coaches issue more so than a political opinion issue once again. Covid 19 a political virus that has been successful at separating everyone into liberal vs conservative assassins.

HIV is still alive and well, should coach Walsh also be responsible for telling his players to wear a condom even though he is coaching at a Catholic school? And if they catch HIV is it his fault?

In my opinion, it is the coaches job to develop the players within the sport while providing valuable life-skills. However, it is the parents job along with their physicians to make sure the kid is healthy and ready to take part in sports.

Would you guys be more understanding if it was discovered, and this is just a hypothetical, that Coach Walsh made every player aware that there is a covid 19 vaccine available to anyone 12 and older? Would you be shocked if certain parents are simply 100% against the vaccine based on their own personal experience with our medical system?

The "Let them play" movement spear headed by this coach seems to have made a lot of people mad. I think a lot of this has to do with the belief that football over - maculates young men, and those interested in emasculating these young men don't like it. So coach Walsh & Serra (an ALL BOYS school) becomes an easy target.

Why not "let them play", how they decide to play?

For the record, I don't ride with either side. Meaning I don't play politics.

A problem: Serra could not play last week (even without smoke) due to virus issues within the school and a lack of full vaccinations on the team (and perhaps the staff) itself. The school cannot let them play without adherence to health/safety protocols. It's that simple. Get everyone vaccinated or prepare for major roadblocks hampering what could be a successful 2021 football campaign. Logically, it would seem to be in the best interest of the school, coaches, parents, players et al to accept the jab once and for all, regardless of political views, personal doubts, whatever. Without the shot, all is in jeopardy going forward.

This goes to show how you have put out misinformation. People are buying Ivermectin from farm equipment supliers , not what they might be using in hospitals. Total different product.
Point being again, you are adding to more falsae information.
Yes. 90% ICU, info 'came directly from multiple hospitals organizations. The vast magority of people suffering covid have not had covid shots.

Here's wishing you great football.

I think everyone on the board think Coach Walsh is a GREAT HSFB.

But if the Best Coach of all Time, just cut a star player because he wasn’t vaccinated?

I think Patrick should call Tom and ask him, if that coach knows what he is doing?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I think everyone on the board think Coach Walsh is a GREAT HSFB.

But if the Best Coach of all Time, just cut a star player because he wasn’t vaccinated?

I think Patrick should call Tom and ask him, if that coach knows what he is doing?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Tom might say no he doesn't LOL

Reactions: northbayfb

You’re a lemming to be blunt. Try listening to Dr. Robert Malone do you even know who that is? Look at the studies and research coming out of other countries. Israel for example has reported over 60% of all hospitalizations are in fact vaccinated. They also report those with natural immunity are 13 times more likely to not get or minimal affects from Delta. And they never need a booster. Your handlers have programmed you well, it’s really pretty sad. You buy what you’re told by organizations that have openly lied to you repeatedly.

Comparing COVID & HIV is ignorance at it’s purest…you sound like MTG😳
Both are Pandemics, both are viruses, both can be prevented, and both are highly political.

I'm not seeing the ignorance. You are just ignorant to the fact that HIV is still an issue but you just want the coach to focus on the hot button political issue (Covid 19).

Also, I don't think the rules state that a player or coach needs to be vaccinated in order to participate do they? If not then this coach is not the person we should be focusing on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT