ADVERTISEMENT

SHC Head coaching job available

SH has at least a 16 game losing streak vs Mitty. Some close battles but cannot get over the hump.

I'm just talking the WCAL championship games...Yes, it is true SHC couldn't beat Mitty for years because Aaron Gordon was a monster since his freshman year...very few of those games were blow outs and were close especially 2010-2011-2012. It is all because Gordon was supreme and playing at a super high level. He alone changed games and won games because no one could stopped him. The question should be would Eagleson have fared well with Gordon, answer anyone would. This is not to say Kennedy is a bad coach either.

Last edited:
One DNA, that is true...but Aaron Gordon will take any program to another level. While he was at Mitty, SHC lost two WCAL championships by less than 3 points...simply because Mitty had him.
Agree and they won League I think those 4 yrs. did what his team was predicted to do. In those other years finished in the top half of the League. Maybe Mitty won, simply because they also had the superior coach. Hmmmmmmm;)

Kennedy is a fine coach. But it is definitely arguable evidenced these last couple of years...Mitty is still good, but not what they were with Gordon.

Kennedy is a fine coach. But it is definitely arguable evidenced these last couple of years...Mitty is still good, but not what they were with Gordon.
So I guess your stumping for Eagleson as your new HC of the Irish? That is of course unless the Doctor blows his interviews, right? Lol;)

So I guess your stumping for Eagleson as your new HC of the Irish? That is of course unless the Doctor blows his interviews, right? Lol;)

I think he would be great...But he is a tenured teacher at Mitty I think? With the cost of living in SF, I doubt he would make that trek to SF from San Jose. I could see him going to VC though.
The SHC job will be interesting...The Ad's probably want change with the program that has nothing to do with the X's and O's while playing. Barbour was classy and a hella of a coach but may have failed with the other things that SHC asked him to do "outside" of coaching the game. But I am speculating, I have nothing to concrete.

I dont believe the VC job is as desireable as some posters make it seem. Football players there play football only and baseball the same. For an enrollment that low, your better have a helluva "recruiting" class every season, cause you wont have any depth without having multisport athletes.

Reactions: Scott2138
I dont believe the VC job is as desireable as some posters make it seem. Football players there play football only and baseball the same. For an enrollment that low, your better have a helluva "recruiting" class every season, cause you wont have any depth without having multisport athletes.

Yes to a degree, but with all the football and baseball players VC gets, it is hard to believe they just don't attract for basketball?? But a lot of athletes in that school.

Eagleson has been itching to get back into coaching. He only left because of his time that he wanted to spend with family. He is an amazing coach and any program that gets him will instantly be a WCAL contender.

Except maybe for VC.

Yes to a degree, but with all the football and baseball players VC gets, it is hard to believe they just don't attract for basketball?? But a lot of athletes in that school.
Totally agree. Not sure why they cant draw the type of athletes they do for football or baseball for their hoops program. Maybe hoopsters just arent enamored playing on the hilltop in that cracker box gym ;)

I'm just talking the WCAL championship games...Yes, it is true SHC couldn't beat Mitty for years because Aaron Gordon was a monster since his freshman year...very few of those games were blow outs and were close especially 2010-2011-2012. It is all because Gordon was supreme and playing at a super high level. He alone changed games and won games because no one could stopped him. The question should be would Eagleson have fared well with Gordon, answer anyone would. This is not to say Kennedy is a bad coach either.
Scott, your "Mom" perspective is always amusing especially with phrases like "Gordon was supreme" and "no one could stopped him".

VC in some ways is alot like SH. Both schools girls teams in the major sports are very good and competitive. They can field a couple boys teams (VC football & baseball, SH basketball & soccer) that are very good, and have putrid teams like VC boys basketball and SH football. For whatever reason some schools just have better girls' programs. I don't have an explanation.

Scott, your "Mom" perspective is always amusing especially with phrases like "Gordon was supreme" and "no one could stopped him".
Well Fubo, name one person that stopped him in the WCAL?

If you want to say it was Riordan, I would gladly disagree with you. You just said in the other post, should I remind you that Gordon was an ELITE athlete...you admitted yourself that he was elite in the post "WCAL, looking ahead" in the same forum.

Last edited:
VC in some ways is alot like SH. Both schools girls teams in the major sports are very good and competitive. They can field a couple boys teams (VC football & baseball, SH basketball & soccer) that are very good, and have putrid teams like VC boys basketball and SH football. For whatever reason some schools just have better girls' programs. I don't have an explanation.

I agree but VC has great facilities and lots of real estate. SHC has no real estate to speak of when it comes to football.

Was mainly wondering if he was looking to get back into coaching. I know Kennedy is outstanding and has won state titles, but Eagelson was very good as well, losing in back to back state finals his last 2 years and having a 169-32 record his last 5 years. Not bad no matter who he is compared to.

I agree but VC has great facilities and lots of real estate. SHC has no real estate to speak of when it comes to football.
That will change by the 2018 season when nearby Lang Field will be renovated and they can use it for an additional practice field.

That will change by the 2018 season when nearby Lang Field will be renovated and they can use it for an additional practice field.
It Might be completed by 2019 and there already 4 groups lobbying for access. Dream on.

Valley Christian has a greater enrollment than SI, Riordan, and SHC. If they can consistently get a couple of the football/baseball athletes to play (they had couple this year) they can be competitive with the right coach. If anyone can get it done there Eagleson can. He took Mitty's basketball program to new heights. Turned it around right away when Mitty was considered the league doormat and Won 4 WCAL championships.

Valley Christian has a greater enrollment than SI, Riordan, and SHC. If they can consistently get a couple of the football/baseball athletes to play (they had couple this year) they can be competitive with the right coach. If anyone can get it done there Eagleson can. He took Mitty's basketball program to new heights. Turned it around right away when Mitty was considered the league doormat and Won 4 WCAL championships.
How do they have a greater enrollment when they play in a lower CCS division?

Im not sure of the details, but right around early to mid 2000's decade, the boys that normally went to Bellarmine were going to Mitty. Bellarmine was always getting the top basketball kids in the SJ area. Then those kids went to Mitty and Mitty hasn't relinquished that grip. Bellarmine until this year IMO finally put together some talent that could compete all the way to D1 NorCal finals.

I guess some schools can learn a thing or two from Bellarmine as they have stuck with Schneider for over two decades and even through tough years, they still managed to put together decent seasons.

"Mr. Direct": Valley Christian has a greater enrollment than SI, Riordan, and SHC.

I was surprised to hear someone state that SI would have a smaller enrollment than VC since VC & ARHS have historicaly had the 2 lowest male enrollments in competing athletically in the WCAL

I just looked at a couple websites and this is the approx. male enrollment of the WCAL high schools along with SHP & Palma:

Bellarmine - 1613 [largest all male parochial in NorCal]
Serra - 897
Mitty - 874
St. Francis - 856
St. Ignatius - 728
Valley Christian - 679
SHC - 626
ARHS - 572
Palma - 532
SHP - 308 [makes their success in FB last 3 years all that more remarkable][/QUOTE]

It Might be completed by 2019 and there already 4 groups lobbying for access..

It's a done deal wise guy. The AD's didn't say any "I hope's", "maybe's" or have any doubts. You "dream on", you pathetic, jealous fool. SHC will double their practice area by the 2018 season and you can't stand it. Besides, SHC uses the field for softball anyway, moron.

Last edited:
"Mr. Direct": Valley Christian has a greater enrollment than SI, Riordan, and SHC.

I was surprised to hear someone state that SI would have a smaller enrollment than VC since VC & ARHS have historicaly had the 2 lowest male enrollments in competing athletically in the WCAL

I just looked at a couple websites and this is the approx. male enrollment of the WCAL high schools along with SHP & Palma:

Bellarmine - 1613 [largest all male parochial in NorCal]
Serra - 897
Mitty - 874
St. Francis - 856
St. Ignatius - 728
Valley Christian - 679
SHC - 626
ARHS - 572
Palma - 532
SHP - 308 [makes their success in FB last 3 years all that more remarkable]
[/QUOTE]
Rmbr, not sure which websites you used, but Riordan's enrollment info is incorrect or is dated. Current enrollment is 700 as their has been an increase year on year with another record freshman class coming in next fall.

Reactions: rabbit5
Rmbr, not sure which websites you used, but Riordan's enrollment info is incorrect or is dated. Current enrollment is 700 as their has been an increase year on year with another record freshman class coming in next fall.[/QUOTE]
J XXIV, any athletes in that "record freshman class"?

Well I can't keep quiet anymore! SHC, what are you doing!!!! What Barbour did there was magnificent. Norcal appearances, titles, State title etc. He had SHC as one of top programs in state along with O'Dowd, Sac HI etc pre open division. His top guys went to college and represented the program. But to win at championship level year after year it takes talent, and the last few years with the exception of Hollins the well has been dry. Yes a few times they have upset or competed in league, but that's what happens in the WCAL. I get it. But when they have played very good teams in non league play they have been destroyed, and those teams were championship teams!. Kids like Greene, Brown, Johns, Fox, are rare! They dont just show up every year! You let a guy go that loved his job and loves the area. Frank may fall in your lap but he is not going to put up with the BS.

I havent heard talk about Arnold Zelaya from Mission. An SH grad who has led Mission to multiple championships and the last two years made deep runs in NorCal. His teams actually play defense, swarming presses and set offenses. They also take advantage of same pipeline as SHC does with SF Rebels. His kids and parents dont get away with nothing. I know he is AD at Mission too, so that may hinder him.

Reactions: Mr. Direct
It's a done deal wise guy. The AD's didn't say any "I hope's", "maybe's" or have any doubts. You "dream on", fool.
The same AD that hired a football coach who hasn't won a single game in the WCAL since he was hired three years ago and failed to retain the boys BB coach who has won a state championship?

I havent heard talk about Arnold Zelaya from Mission. An SH grad who has led Mission to multiple championships and the last two years made deep runs in NorCal. His teams actually play defense, swarming presses and set offenses. They also take advantage of same pipeline as SHC does with SF Rebels. His kids and parents dont get away with nothing. I know he is AD at Mission too, so that may hinder him.
Good point CityVibes. He would be a good fit there. But his job at SFUSD might be tough to leave behind.

Hard to say exactly what any of these schools enrollemtn is as every website I checked was different on each school and as noted by OneDNA as well as Jordan the number changes yearly and through-out the year. I checked with one school administrator who explained how much it can go up and down with transfers in & out during the year and how most of the schools have a set "maximum" number of students based upon faculty and facilities to accommodate them [so therefore the numbers for possibly all schools except Riordan would remain somewhat consistent year to year].

BTW - how many students board at Riordan?

BTW - how many students board at Riordan?
Approximately 40+ students in the on-campus boarding program and an additional 20 International day students (these students either live with relatives or host families).

Rmbr, not sure which websites you used, but Riordan's enrollment info is incorrect or is dated. Current enrollment is 700 as their has been an increase year on year with another record freshman class coming in next fall.
J XXIV, any athletes in that "record freshman class"?[/QUOTE]
1DNA, Haha! Will be interesting come Fall. As I mentioned earlier, the critical element here is if the Biz Dev Director in fact exceeded their $$$ goals as this goes to providing tuition assistance to those students in need.

Agree. Zelaya would be an excellent candidate, but it would be very hard to leave a position if he is tenured and a City pension/benefits in place...
Back to the SH HC opening. Wouldnt this be the Doctor's job to lose? Or would they turn him back to Highway 92 a second time. We'll never know, but would be interested who their top 3 is on their wish list ;)

Agree. Zelaya would be an excellent candidate, but it would be very hard to leave a position if he is tenured and a City pension/benefits in place...

I went to school when Zelaya was at SH...Great guy and no one had anything bad to say about him. I never knew he would end up a coach or be as successful as he is with Mission. But he would be an interesting candidate as well. As good as he is, I'm sure he knows the WCAL is another animal too. Manny Nodar from St. Mary's is another alumnus and he would be an interesting applicant too.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
I went to school when Zelaya was at SH...Great guy and no one had anything bad to say about him. I never knew he would end up a coach or be as successful as he is with Mission. But he would be an interesting candidate as well. As good as he is, I'm sure he knows the WCAL is another animal too. Manny Nodar from St. Mary's is another alumnus and he would be an interesting applicant too.

Manny Nodar lives out in east bay. One of his reasons leaving SH when he was coaching there prior to St. Mary's was the commute. I doubt he would want to leave his situation and go back to the commute he wanted to leave.

Dr. would be nice hire (anywhere), however I think he would ask for too much autonomy and I believe SHC AD and Admin like people they feel they can control. I think he'd get burnt out quickly having to run things through the SHC heirachy.

Dr. would be nice hire (anywhere), however I think he would ask for too much autonomy and I believe SHC AD and Admin like people they feel they can control. I think he'd get burnt out quickly having to run things through the SHC heirachy.
Agree. The Dr. already has "been there, done that" with his alma mater in bringing them back to being competitive and capturing multiple CCS, Norcal and a State Title. I recall he took over for the late Kevin Restani who took over when Ron Isola retired from head coaching duties.

The Physician has a nice thing going over in Half Moon Bay. He's getting a sparkling new gym at the high school where he runs the hoops show; his youth coaching gig at the Olympic Club is going well; and his insurance firm is perking along as always. Taking on the SHC job, with all of its challenges, seems like a stretch. But who knows.

It would be good to see SHC hire an SHC alum. The Russell's would be a great fit for the Women's and Men's Hoops Coach positions.

Reactions: EHS HOOPS
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT