ADVERTISEMENT

SHC Head coaching job available

The points been made about the Dr. Why would he leave a good thing at HMB (ie where he lives and works) to come into SHC. As noted, HMB is building a beautiful new facility? He has local kids who have bought into his philosophy. Other than it being about him and a challenge he's willing to take. Maybe SHC is burnt out in making room for athletes with parents with unrealistic expectation. It will be telling in few years, if the Barbour/Asst Coach pipeline runs its course. SI took that hit a few years ago, but have slowly started making a comeback. Its a double-edge sword for admin that they brought on them selves little over 10 years ago. Unless Nodar is interested, I believe Russell makes the bold move to switch to men. My gut is telling me a former SHC woman's player steps in for the ladies.

The points been made about the Dr. Why would he leave a good thing at HMB (ie where he lives and works) to come into SHC. As noted, HMB is building a beautiful new facility? He has local kids who have bought into his philosophy. Other than it being about him and a challenge he's willing to take. Maybe SHC is burnt out in making room for athletes with parents with unrealistic expectation. It will be telling in few years, if the Barbour/Asst Coach pipeline runs its course. SI took that hit a few years ago, but have slowly started making a comeback. Its a double-edge sword for admin that they brought on them selves little over 10 years ago. Unless Nodar is interested, I believe Russell makes the bold move to switch to men. My gut is telling me a former SHC woman's player steps in for the ladies.
Maybe he looked in the mirror and said, "No matter how good a coach I am, I still need players to get those banners." As evidenced by their post-season flameouts the last few years. The Doctor loves the limelight and am certain he'd rather be the big fish in a big pond than the big fish in a small pond. The SH job and it being in the WCAL gives him all that as well as more talented players. Albeit more headaches than at HMB off the court but that comes with territory at a bigger higher profile program. Again this is my opinion, I haven't spoken to the Doctor nor any of his confidants about this.

Dr.needs to stay put - he destroys north PAL coaching! Most of those teams don't have anybody over 5 foot 4 and avg about 38 tournovers a game!

The posting actually says it closes next Friday May 20th. In my opinion this job is down to two main candidates. LyRyan Russell and Rich Forslund. While there may be issues with parents and the "entourage" of the Hollins kid this is a very attractive job to most coaches. The support from Admin will be key in the hiring. The ADs of the program seem to like the success that players like Hollins brings but don't like the "other stuff" that comes with it. They want no part of dealing with the rowdiness of some of the spectators that come to watch the games. I think Russell has a good shot because of the obvious familiarity with the kids already in the program and from what I hear they like him a lot and some are close to him in a mentor type of way. The question is does he want the challenge of switching over to the boys side and trying to build the culture that he has created with the girls side. In my honest opinion I would say no.

By letting go of Barbour even with his past success it's obvious that they want a change of culture. A strong enough character to crack the whip more on parental issues, team issues amongst players and most of all control the crowd. Like coaching and competing in the WCAL is not enough of a load to handle. Forlsund I think would be highly regarded and hard to pass up with his past and recent success. He has handled coaching and running a program in the WCAL
before with great success. I think the challenge of getting this program rolling again is not as daunting as everyone may think because first and foremost they have 2 studs in Hollins and Robinson coming back. Dunbar is a solid PG, Hillman showed good flashes last year but the missing piece is inside. Unless he gets Carter to buy into the fact that he can affect the game just by being a tough rebounder and defender. I honestly think this is a challenge that Forslund would want and also to once again compete on the big stage. SHC is the type of job that doesn't come open very often and I'm sure there will be plenty of people going after it but if I had to guess those would be the top 2 choices for them. Then again they might hire someone out of nowhere like they did 9 years with Barbour. We shall see what happens.

The posting actually says it closes next Friday May 20th. In my opinion this job is down to two main candidates. LyRyan Russell and Rich Forslund. I honestly think this is a challenge that Forslund would want and also to once again compete on the big stage. SHC is the type of job that doesn't come open very often and I'm sure there will be plenty of people going after it but if I had to guess those would be the top 2 choices for them. Then again they might hire someone out of nowhere like they did 9 years with Barbour. We shall see what happens.
You really think Richard is the best fit there? ;)

You really think Richard is the best fit there? ;)

A coach like Rich Forslund is a good fit wherever he goes. The better question is whether some of those players that are coming back a good fit for him? Some might lose their role or even a chance to play at all if they don't fall into what he asks and demand from them.

I agree, LyRyan should remain HC of the girls team. He is building his own legacy there. I dont see him jumping over like Reardon did at SI. I think I saw Tim Reardon age 20 years when he become the boys coach.

A coach like Rich Forslund is a good fit wherever he goes. The better question is whether some of those players that are coming back a good fit for him? Some might lose their role or even a chance to play at all if they don't fall into what he asks and demand from them.
Well, I guess that's what I was implying. Would he alienate some of those same parents, wait I mean players ;)

Ok the dead line has come and gone, does anybody have the official list of WHO and how many coaches actually applied ?

Somebody at City today told me that Hollins, Carter and Robinson are transferring out of SHC. Im not sure if its 100% true. It would be hard to transfer and have to sit a year. If all 3 stay is a solid core to make a run next yr. Plus Hillman would also help a lot. SHC really blew it with letting coach B go.

Somebody at City today told me that Hollins, Carter and Robinson are transferring out of SHC. Im not sure if its 100% true. It would be hard to transfer and have to sit a year. If all 3 stay is a solid core to make a run next yr. Plus Hillman would also help a lot. SHC really blew it with letting coach B go.

Was it Footballump or Fool-bo? I heard the same nonsense about Jerry Brown and Kevin Greene all the time they were at SHC. Hollins and Carter will both be seniors. How could they sit out a year? There are no "fifth-year" eligible seniors in high school.

Fool-No_IQ post: 125355 said:
I haven't heard the rumor but have you heard of Trinity International in Las Vegas? Just one example.

Leave it to you to start one, kid.

I doubt if anyone is going to transfer from SHC and sit out a year. Why would they transfer ? The parents of the players wanted a coaching change. I assume they wanted a new coach and would welcome the new coach. Where are they going to play and fit into a brand new system?
I think they will be the favorite in the league no matter who gets the job. What were the parents complaining about? They ran and had a players system. Shoot whenever they were open.

I doubt if anyone is going to transfer from SHC and sit out a year. Why would they transfer ? The parents of the players wanted a coaching change. I assume they wanted a new coach and would welcome the new coach. Where are they going to play and fit into a brand new system?
I think they will be the favorite in the league no matter who gets the job. What were the parents complaining about? They ran and had a players system. Shoot whenever they were open.
the parents wanted was some kind of leadership from coach b. he allowed parents to call him and dictate what role their boys should play on the team. their was alot infighting amoung the boys that coaches knew about but did nothing. coach played it safe ran a offense featuring only two boys. those boys never won games for sh. many games were lost in the last minute. a coaching change was needed, that team didnt believe in their coaches thus team was lost

the parents wanted was some kind of leadership from coach b. he allowed parents to call him and dictate what role their boys should play on the team. their was alot infighting amoung the boys that coaches knew about but did nothing. coach played it safe ran a offense featuring only two boys. those boys never won games for sh. many games were lost in the last minute. a coaching change was needed, that team didnt believe in their coaches thus team was lost

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ding ding ding!!!!

Reactions: SHgradSIdad

WOW..........good luck to the next guy with this type of parental involvement!

I just don't see the Irish being the favorite next season though they return their entire team, except their only player that played with heart and grit every game - Sr JWS. They only had 4 WCAL wins last season. Only talented player is Hollins - the rest of the team are good HS players that would rather make a video, listen to their parents rather than their coach, not play defense and play AAU-style ball than play as a team. Let's see if these players become accountable, work hard and prove the naysayers wrong.

Reactions: SHgradSIdad
He should pull a Harrigan on them. "I don't tell you how to raise your kids and you don't tell me how to coach my team".
I have a feeling on who will get it and it would be a hire that would surprise you all, but a very good hire. All I will say is East Bay.

Cal State East Bay;)
Nope all wrong. You would never guess, but has good ties to the East Bay. I will give one hint. One of his players he coached is in the NBA right now. It's not a lock by no means but my gut tells me I'm right.

Nope all wrong. You would never guess, but has good ties to the East Bay. I will give one hint. One of his players he coached is in the NBA right now. It's not a lock by no means but my gut tells me I'm right.
Your driving IC crazy right now with your teases lol. Its a good alternative to the abysmal showing in OkC for the Dubs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT