ADVERTISEMENT

Sheldon forfeits four league games

I wasn't aware of what constitutes a organized game either. Tough news for Sheldon, but shouldn't affect them long term

Reactions: coachlittle
Yikes! Does NCS have a similar rule and, if so, are student-athletes prohibited from participating in outside, organized events for the same sport OR is it any outside sport?

They will still qualify for D1 and get a high seed in that bracket and probably make the D1 Championship for NorCal.

But this hurts because I’m sure they wanted a chance at the Open Division again after last year and with their record changing like it did, I think they’re chances of making the Open are slim to none.

Also in terms of taking 4 games away from Sheldon, I find that a harsh punishment especially considering the player was already suspended 4 games self-imposed. It probably would hurt the player involved but I think they should have kept the wins and suspended the player for the full season. It would suck for that one player, but then the entire team isn’t suffering over one stupid lousy mistake.

They will win D1 easily in sac Joaquin. They will still get the 2 seed in open unless the committee is brain dead

They will win D1 easily in sac Joaquin. They will still get the 2 seed in open unless the committee is brain dead
Yikes! Does NCS have a similar rule and, if so, are student-athletes prohibited from participating in outside, organized events for the same sport OR is it any outside sport?
Yes it’s a state wide rule. But common sense or sport equity are not involved. The kid played in a rec league with his uncles/family on Sundays as an after church gathering /activity. Rec league teams just run up and down court like an open gym. Typically not running plays , pressing, trapping etc. Usually a 2-3 zone because players are lazy and think it’s easier than man but you actually need to be smarter. No competitive advantage or disadvantage to all other schools by player involved. Now if a chunk of ones team entered a league then maybe different.
Look at rule 600 though and someone please explain how it’s ok for example to play flag football where you have your skilled players run specific routes ala 7 on 7 and that’s totally ok. Or softball, soccer, track , swimming etc can all participate in some form of their sport but a kid can’t even play 3on3 basketball. Scratching my head

Gotta agree with H.E.A.T. on this one... Pretty lame rule, if ya ask me...

I would be heated if this happened to my school, so not only do they have to forfeit those four games but that player gets suspended for an additional four games? Ignoring how silly of a rule that seems like to begin with, the punishment seems really excessive.

For the record they lost 4 by forfeit and lost 2 while he was out . Hence 2-6 . One of those times you wish you were playing a local team instead of a nationally ranked top 25 while you were already Missing Bagley, Your Big in Morgan and back up Big with ankle

The ruling is actually a CIF Rule where athletes are not allowed to play on multiple teams in different leagues in the same sport "in season. " Had this occurred in September or April, there would be no problem nevessarily.

And also with the exception of a few schools, CIF bans any and all team gatherings on Sundays. The players are not allowed to even get together and shoot hoops at the park on Sunday. Some may report if more than a few players are present it could be construed as a "practice" which is not legal under CIF Rules.

Yes it’s a state wide rule. But common sense or sport equity are not involved. The kid played in a rec league with his uncles/family on Sundays as an after church gathering /activity. Rec league teams just run up and down court like an open gym. Typically not running plays , pressing, trapping etc. Usually a 2-3 zone because players are lazy and think it’s easier than man but you actually need to be smarter. No competitive advantage or disadvantage to all other schools by player involved. Now if a chunk of ones team entered a league then maybe different.
Look at rule 600 though and someone please explain how it’s ok for example to play flag football where you have your skilled players run specific routes ala 7 on 7 and that’s totally ok. Or softball, soccer, track , swimming etc can all participate in some form of their sport but a kid can’t even play 3on3 basketball. Scratching my head

The examples you provide are valid however it is not that you are not allowed to play, it is WHEN YOU PLAY. Had this been outside the basketball window of November 1 to March 25 or so, there is no real penalty. You mention the other sports, I can probably bet these activities took place "out of season" for the sport.

Just like come April 1, all these basketball players will be playing AAU until Ocyober when they have to stop to be eligible to play for nv the school.

Most likely, Sheldon was probably informed by a referee in the rec league that also does HS basketball. Therefore they self reported. It is not the first time it has happened and despite all the talk about it will probably not be the last.

If they still make the Open Division after this, then all this talk is for nothing.....a mere break for a couple of players in a couple of meaningless games.

If they still make the Open Division after this, then all this talk is for nothing.....a mere break for a couple of players in a couple of meaningless games.

If they don't make the open division alot of D1 coaches are going to be pissed as well, only a few teams in the entire state can hope to matchup with Sheldon and most of them will be playing in the Open

Reactions: RJ223

Why would Sheldon not make the open? They have some of the best wins in the North, with the exception of Salesian. Even those losses won’t stop them from making a section game and win/lose they will be open.

Why would Sheldon not make the open? They have some of the best wins in the North, with the exception of Salesian. Even those losses won’t stop them from making a section game and win/lose they will be open.

SJS commissioner Garrison is an absolute moron and continues to make awful decisions. He follows the letter or law and doesn’t look at each situation with any common sense. He’s a clown!

SJS commissioner Garrison is an absolute moron and continues to make awful decisions. He follows the letter or law and doesn’t look at each situation with any common sense. He’s a clown!

Hate to say this but the commissioners hands are tied here. It was a CIF violation and he as commissioner should follow the rules.

As I have said before, many teams tell players that they need to be careful about their activities between October 15 and April 1. There was a team a few years back that this happened to in the CCS and the team ended up having to forfeit almost all league games as a result. I believe the team was 10-3 and ended up going instead of 11-3 went 1-13 in league.

In this case it never will really affected their seeding. Sheldon instead of getting a 1 seed will probably get the 2 seed. It will not be a big drop for them as they are deep and talented.

Last edited:
Sheldon will be in the Open. A couple losses won't keep them out the playoffs. This may be some added fuel to their team. Sheldon is always under the microscope.

It won’t stop them because they will win D1 and have the best resume in sac Joaquin. They are too good and still my pick to win it

SHC92 your all over the place rambling about nothing. It’s obvious violations in question are during the sport of note and not off season. The examples I gave for other sports are DURING the sport go read rule 600

Please explain your comment
Just like come April 1, all these basketball players will be playing AAU until Ocyober when they have to stop to be eligible to play for nv the school..

The sports you are referencing are not allowed during the "in sport".

Where and when are football players playing flag football in an organized league during the football season? Maybe in a high school PE class, but not in any organized rec league. If they are, then they should be reported. Basically there is a Fall window, a Winter window and a Spring window.

Many swimmers and divers know what events they are allowed to participate in. Many schools I had worked are diligent in eligibilty and tracking student activities.

Rule 600 clearly defines players are not allowed to play other leagues while competing in "their" sport.

Now flag football is not football two very different sports, however basketball whether 5v5 or 3v3 has no real difference other than number of players on the court.

As a person who spent twelve years in compliance with a high school part of CIF, I am very aware of rule 600.

Your point that these players participate in other leagues is valid, HOWEVER WHAT YOU DO NOT SAY IS WHEN they participate in the sport.

The key to 600 is not participating in the sport, it is when you participate in the "non school" contest.

Reactions: OtherBrotha
Swimmers and divers are different all together. Most swimmers that swim club do not stop swimming club during the spring. What happens is that they simply go what is called unattached during the high school swim season. This means that most will still practice with their club team and go to meets, but they are basically listed as independent.

Your babbling again and I doubt you spent 12 years in compliance reading your posts. It’s obvious you can participate in your sport outside of the season . No one but you is saying otherwise. All convo is about in season. That’s Why club soccer is year round but stops for kids playing high school during season. But according to 600 they can play indoor or futsal which are still very similar and involve team , refs, scoreboard, rules, unis etc. Also you can play flag football concurrently to in season football . 600 defines these as DIFFERENT SPORTS. Also there’s no rule that says you can’t go to the park on Sunday to play hoop. That’s what actually made kids good back in the day . They would go play adults and learn how to play tough, physical and fundamental. Now they sit and play on phone or get stronger thumbs playing Video hoop. Here’s 600 and I’m done with you on this subject so babble on

http://www.cifstate.org/governance/constitution/600_Series.pdf

Additionally compliance guy you never responded to what you meant by
SHC92 said
[QUOTE

Just like come April 1, all these basketball players will be playing AAU until Ocyober when they have to stop to be eligible to play for nv the school.
.[/QUOTE]

I think the comment is self explanatory. From April to October these kids can play on as many teams as they want for basketball. No penalty.

Hard to bet against Salesian winning the north as of now

I think that Sheldon has the most talent top to bottom of any NorCal team and my money would be on them in a rematch against Salesian. I also think they'd be a much better matchup size wise / athletically against Sierra Canyon as well.

Reactions: RJ223
If Sheldon cant show that they can lock down on defense and get stops at crucial times they will not make it to the open championship. They by far have the most talent and can score with any team but they have too many scoring droughts against teams and their effort on defense is comical sometimes. They remind me of those traveling AAU teams that can beat anybody but sometimes gets blown out. I like Salesian alot because they get after it defensively and they play with a chip on their shoulder, if Sheldon just played hard like any of their other recent teams they could beat anybody.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
No change in Sheldon's records on MaxPreps at this point... They're usually right on top of stuff like this.

It’s definitely bullshit but you guys should be OK

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT