Nutrition
Proprioception
Relaxation
Recovery
Muscle Control
Power
Breathing
Hydration

..... Actually.... training ... that has nothing to do with direct basketball skills....
or maybe everything to do with direct basketball skills....

;)

Reactions: snake18 and Paytc
Why spend the money to work with a trainer if it doesn't translate to the game?

https://passthaball.com/2016/07/19/the-most-important-skill-in-the-game/

Clay,

Hey your right. If the trainer or training is not giving you results, or you're not seeing any improvements, you need to as Anthony Robbins so famously says "change your approach". Or change your instructor.

Training is just like playing the game, they both can help you develop. But training can and should, get your individual skills better sooner than playing games alone will. But where training and playing the game are similar is quality makes the difference. If you don't have a good coach who cares about and understands (the game) and player development, you won't get better as an individual. And if you don't have a good trainer who cares about molding each area of your game(especially where it is lacking) with individualized routines and mental instructions, that fit each individual player, you won't be getting better any time soon.

Generally speaking, but there are those rare exceptions because everyone does not learn the same way. And we're all gifted differently.

Just like being in a smaller classroom where you get nearly one on one attention is more effective than learning in a larger size class. Obviously one on one instruction in sports is no different. It is not easy for a coach to be effective on teaching individuals how to personally get better (unless he/she is real good at player development). Most coaches are trying to teach the system and overall team concept to the entire team. Most are not focused on individual development. But it really depends on the coach and trainer you have. There are good and bad trainers just as there are good and bad coaches. Quality ! Some get it, some don't. Get around the ones who are getting the results your looking for and/or that you work well with.

To improve (even Curry, Thompson, And Durant still need to improve) you need both outside individualized training to help you the individual improve, and better team concept coaching from the coach. I say get your advise from those who make a living doing what you are trying to do.

Professional players still put in outside skill development. It is encouraged and supported by the professional teams.

But results are what you're looking for. If you don't have quality coaching or quality training you won't see the results you're looking for. More times than not you can't pick your coaching or who your coach is. If you don't have quality coaching it's criminal to not seek out a quality trainer so you can improve regardless to the lack in coaching. Some players have higher basketball IQ's but lack fundamentals and visa versa. So it is a case by case scenario that must be taken into account. Not a one shoe fits all predetermined mandate.

Good topic for discussion ! Thanks Clay.

Last edited:
Why spend the money to work with a trainer if it doesn't translate to the game?

https://passthaball.com/2016/07/19/the-most-important-skill-in-the-game/

I agree on all points. Individual training can improve ball handling, shooting, and execution of various moves to create shots. But that's the easy part. What's tough is to get players to incorporate skills into the game context.

I worked out two players one morning last week, reinforcing certain things they both can do well in drills. Told them specifically how and when I wanted to see things incorporated into their play in summer league games I went to watch that evening. Nope. 90% the same mistakes I want them to correct. It's so much easier when I'm doing both the training and the team coaching, so that I can keep beating it into them from the bench.

The key point is that if a trainer is not seeing the player compete on a regular basis, and tailoring training to the player's specific needs, there's not even a 10% hope that the training sessions will do any lasting good.

I agree on all points. Individual training can improve ball handling, shooting, and execution of various moves to create shots. But that's the easy part. What's tough is to get players to incorporate skills into the game context.

I worked out two players one morning last week, reinforcing certain things they both can do well in drills. Told them specifically how and when I wanted to see things incorporated into their play in summer league games I went to watch that evening. Nope. 90% the same mistakes I want them to correct. It's so much easier when I'm doing both the training and the team coaching, so that I can keep beating it into them from the bench.

The key point is that if a trainer is not seeing the player compete on a regular basis, and tailoring training to the player's specific needs, there's not even a 10% hope that the training sessions will do any lasting good.

personalogic,

If you are providing both the coaching and taking the time out to give the individualized instruction yes you should see faster results because the communication might sink in faster. That is great coaching, but not every player is so fortunate to have a good coach. But it really depends on what is working best for each individual. Some coaches are so bad you'd be a fool to rely solely on getting better with just their coaching and their instruction plus skill development, or lack there of. And some trainers are so clueless you'd be a fool to not seek out a better trainer. And sometimes you just need to find a better fit for you the individual. The coach may be good but not right for your particular style of play. Or the trainer might be excellent at a specific area of instruction but not good teaching the things that are lacking in your game. Case by case has to be taken into account.

Good topic !

Last edited:
I think training so be 1 to 5 ratio coach to player to get the best results. When players session training 1 to 5 ratio give the coach enough time with each individual. Having then 5 players some players won't get the attention then need and the trainer won't be able to pick up the bad habits of the players. If class are bigger then 5 it's more a money thing then a training thing. But that's just my opinion. Some will say that helps with them but are you paying for the helper to train or the trainer to train you kid. Just ask the question to yourself some are ok with that?????

I always wanted to work with four kids at a time so I could have them play two-on-two and translate what we were working on into game situations -- but I never could get four parents to buy in at the same time.

And you're absolutely right, personalogic. If a trainer never sees a girl play, how can he or she know if what's being taught is being applied? And your point about doing something in training/practice but never seeing it in games is so true and so frustrating. Girls can do all sorts of ballhandling in practice, but for some reason will not do it in games.

I always wanted to work with four kids at a time so I could have them play two-on-two and translate what we were working on into game situations -- but I never could get four parents to buy in at the same time.

And you're absolutely right, personalogic. If a trainer never sees a girl play, how can he or she know if what's being taught is being applied? And your point about doing something in training/practice but never seeing it in games is so true and so frustrating. Girls can do all sorts of ballhandling in practice, but for some reason will not do it in games.

Clay typically speaking you have to have a purpose for going to work with a trainer in the first place.If your coach provides enough you don't need much additional outside help. I think it is best to have a trainer actually see the player(s) they are training play in order to have a better understanding on what methods to use as well as what needs to be worked on. I'm sure there are parents out there who don't encourage a trainer to see their child play for whatever reason they choose. They probably should, but that depends on why they want the trainers help.

I think your 2 on 2 is good. So is 1on 1 and 3 on 3 depending on what you are trying to work on. As far as girls doing all kinds of ball handling in practice that they are not doing in the game that is frustrating. What I think often happens is coaches have a certain offense or system they want players to plug into and trainers, parents, or outside influences have different priorities that sometimes confuse kids on what to do. They don't want to upset anyone from their parents, to the coach, to the trainer. Then there are kids who need to process things longer before they will actually apply what they have learned. As I often say, you must take things case by case and consider the whole circumstance.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT