ADVERTISEMENT

St. Joseph Notre Dame administration saves the day

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
By forcing out Shawn Hipol because of high margins of victory in the BCL-East (a league SJND should never have been in for basketball), the SJND interim head of school really made a difference.

Jan. 27, with Hipol coaching: St. Joseph Notre Dame 80, Valley Christian 6

Under the new, more highly principled and charitable regime:

Feb. 11: St. Joseph Notre Dame 85, Valley Christian 8.

Hey, Valley Christian got two more points. Good job, interim head of school. We won't mention the five extra points -- or maybe Brian Sato should be pushed out the door next?

It's a hard pill for me to swallow. They knewlast year, that the the league was a complete joke, even in regards to d5 standards. But throw on top of the fact that the interim principal is a former hooper and hoop coach is just beyond me. you can slice it mathematically 10 ways and still get the same result...a lopsided score.

One would really have to question many independent schools and what is the goal for having sports their school. It's certainly possible to have an academic rigorous school and have a respectable sports program (look at Lick Wilmerding at Branson). I think this was a personal witch hunt and she should be ashamed of herself.

Last edited:
The coach that gets the job next year might be very telling of the motivation behind it all.If they hire someone with a high profile then we know this goes deeper than scores.

Reactions: GBBall4L
The coach that gets the job next year might be very telling of the motivation behind it all.If they hire someone with a high profile then we know this goes deeper than scores.

Good point...but in reality? Can you think of a high profile coach that would want that job? It's not like its a trinity school league where the stipend of many of it's hoop coaches ranges from 20-35k per year....I'm betting the stipend is worse than Alameda or Encinal HS. Hip showed he could win there, but if the admin is adamant about keeping things respectable, what high profile coach would want to coach for an admin team that would undermine a regular ass whooping (cause even though they're switching leagues, it's gonna be the same result minus BOD) even other night.

well my point is that maybe that is the story they are putting out there but not the real reason behind the move

Next year, St. Joseph won't be in the BCL for basketball so scoring margins won't be an issue.

I do think it's a pretty good job, though. You can get a lot of Oakland kids to go there, and if you work hard, you can set up a pretty nice pipeline. The tuition isn't the $40,000 or $50,000 it is as Head-Royce or College Prep, and the academic bar isn't nearly as high, so you should be able to draw talent.

I'm going to let "why should Bentley have sports?" comment go because I don't have time to give it the answer it deserves, but a one-line summary would be: If athletics are a benefit to young people, then why shouldn't all young people have the opportunity to participate in that benefit?

Next year, St. Joseph won't be in the BCL for basketball so scoring margins won't be an issue.

I do think it's a pretty good job, though. You can get a lot of Oakland kids to go there, and if you work hard, you can set up a pretty nice pipeline. The tuition isn't the $40,000 or $50,000 it is as Head-Royce or College Prep, and the academic bar isn't nearly as high, so you should be able to draw talent.

I'm going to let "why should Bentley have sports?" comment go because I don't have time to give it the answer it deserves, but a one-line summary would be: If athletics are a benefit to young people, then why shouldn't all young people have the opportunity to participate in that benefit?

I whole heartedly agree that each student should participate in anything they want in MS/HS. The Bay Counties League has always had a wide spectrum of teams ranging from Head Royce/University going to State Championships to other schools never winning more than 10 games. I'm not sure if the BCL was forced or they liked the idea of SJND coming in the league, but the way it was handled was not ideal.

I think with this year's SJND team, you'd still see very lopsided scores. Maybe not 85-8, but easily 85-20...maybe 30. BOD is BOD, but outside of them, there isn't any team that will be able to match up with them and it's the same story. Bad, but not AS BAD. lol

I heard that SJND beat Athenian something like 105-20. If true, could someone please explain why Shawn Hipol is no longer the coach, and Julianne Guevara is still the head of school?

Reactions: CW Golden Eagles
well my point is that maybe that is the story they are putting out there but not the real reason behind the move

sounds right. you might get an answer to your question if you have access to a black site that uses enhanced interrogation techniques. think Darrell Hirashima.

Definitely was the score. I guess they are letting them play a little more freely since it’s playoffs.

I'm sorry...everytime someone brings up DH's situation it makes my blood boil. Darrell's situation and SNJD is apples to concrete. Maybe Berry had it in for Hippol or maybe they caved to pressure from college prep and co for running up the score. We don't know was was said behind closed doors and probably won't for a while.

Regarding Darrell, what happened to him TWICE was a complete and utter sham. The first time, he was FORCED to co-coach with that moron who's name I can't even stand to say. He wanted the job and had been pushing behind the scenes for it to happen. I think that farce lasted a year if memory serves me correctly. Then DH starts Orinda Magic, an AAU team that is getting momentum and started having kids enroll at Miramonte that were "out of district" but because the lamorinda school district is open enrollment, it's okay.

MM starts to get better and better, and some of the Orinda snowflakes don't make the team. What happens? parents get involved, and force the admin to fire DH. What is interesting is that the same thing has been happening at MM the last few and yet NOT ONE parent has stepped forward asking for a removal. Is it racist? Get rid of the POC and leave the white coach alone? I've thought that many times..I do/did feel very bad for what happened to Darrell as he was an excellent coach, mentor, and community member.

And please don't take this as im bagging on Sopak because I think he's done a lot for women's basketball with the Cal Stars program with regards to notoriety, repping Norcal, and giving kids the opportunity to showcase their skills all over the country.

Reactions: OnBall8
He's done a lot for ....don't let that fool anybody... Sue, Sopak,Tom all come from the same tree...coaches who are fooling
people....who start the seasons year after year with more talent on their benches than 95% of the teams in Norcal...everybody buys their act ...
assumes they play fair...

He's done a lot for ....don't let that fool anybody... Sue, Sopak,Tom all come from the same tree...coaches who are fooling
people....who start the seasons year after year with more talent on their benches than 95% of the teams in Norcal...everybody buys their act ...
assumes they play fair...
that is part of the package... they get kids that can play and want to play and get better. recruiting is a part of coaching

At one point, becool balanced his pointless diatribes with interesting insights (though his infatuation with Ayanna Clark was sometimes annoying), but no longer ... it seems to me he's now just one of those trolls who comes on line to say stupid, hateful things to draw attention to himself.

It's really sad more than anything else ...

At one point, becool balanced his pointless diatribes with interesting insights (though his infatuation with Ayanna Clark was sometimes annoying), but no longer ... it seems to me he's now just one of those trolls who comes on line to say stupid, hateful things to draw attention to himself.

It's really sad more than anything else ...

When Streakone showed me how to "ignore" a poster my life NCP life got so much better. lol

my daughter played for Darrell, his son, and his daughter. she'd have tried to run through a brick wall if he'd asked her to.

didn't mean to compare particulars, just the notion of a concealed agenda. trust me, there are always disgruntled parents. they need a receptive audience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT