ADVERTISEMENT

St. Mary's (Albany) forfeits game in 4th Qtr

USMC#1

Board Regular
Nov 10, 2005
Anyone hear anything about this? Rancho Cotate ran out to a 55-0 halftime lead then scored a single touchdown in the 3rd to make it 62-0. With 11 minutes left in the game, St. Mary's forfeited the game and left the field without shaking hands.

I really dont want to pass judgement without knowing the facts. Conner Banks is listed as their coach, this would be his first season after Keith Minor left.

Anyone know anything about this? Sounds like a very unsportsmanlike call on the part of the coach. Can the NCS impose sanctions if it was done for the wrong reasons?

Two things I take away. First, rancho is going to be a tough out this year. Probably the best team in the NBL and possibly north of golden gate. (MC will have something to say about that). Second, too much big baller brand being watched these days. Run the clock out or have a friendly agreement but that is just chicken shAt and poor message. Why are we surprised ?

Run the clock out or have a friendly agreement but that is just chicken shAt and poor message.

Personally, I hate it when teams "run the clock out" and the "running clock" rule. Total hosejob for all the kids on the winning team who aren't first string. They finally get a chance to play and the coach will only call runs and take zero shots down the field. As much as anyone would like to say it is in good sportsmanship to do so, it is equally in disrespectful to all the kids on your team who don't happen to start. I am not saying to leave the first string in, but I am saying don't hose you second group by going conservative. Let the kids play.

Personally, I hate it when teams "run the clock out" and the "running clock" rule. Total hosejob for all the kids on the winning team who aren't first string. They finally get a chance to play and the coach will only call runs and take zero shots down the field. As much as anyone would like to say it is in good sportsmanship to do so, it is equally in disrespectful to all the kids on your team who don't happen to start. I am not saying to leave the first string in, but I am saying don't hose you second group by going conservative. Let the kids play.

How about instead of a running clock no starters are allowed on the field? That way the second and third stringers get a real world experience.

How about instead of a running clock no starters are allowed on the field? That way the second and third stringers get a real world experience.

Well, its not real world experience for some of the kids unless they get to play with some starters. But the coaches are going to pull the starters anyway because they don't want injuries. So, I don't think you need to say "no starters". That leaves open the possibility that a coach can get a look at particular kid with the right group around him if he wants. Not too likley though.

I would not run the clock. So, we agree there. That rule is so disrespectful of the young men who go to every practice and work their asses off to make the starters better. Whoever thought that up should have their head examined.

With all due deference to the posting persons out there, not every mismatch case is the same. For example, Mt. Pleasant showed up at Burlingame Friday night with just 23 guys, including JV players (the JV game was called off due to lack of MP numbers). As expected, it was an utter rout early on. It was bad. A total non-competitive situation. It was over before you consumed your first hot dog at the snack bar. The coaches conferred at halftime with the refs and they mercifully decided to have a running clock throughout the second half (during which the Burlingame JV's played the MP "varsity"). Thank goodness. The final tally was 54-0. It could have been 82-0 or worse. Christian charity and common sense prevailed. Now the question is: Can MP finish out the campaign?

With all due deference to the posting persons out there, not every mismatch case is the same. For example, Mt. Pleasant showed up at Burlingame Friday night with just 23 guys, including JV players (the JV game was called off due to lack of MP numbers). As expected, it was an utter rout early on. It was bad. A total non-competitive situation. It was over before you consumed your first hot dog at the snack bar. The coaches conferred at halftime with the refs and they mercifully decided to have a running clock throughout the second half (during which the Burlingame JV's played the MP "varsity"). Thank goodness. The final tally was 54-0. It could have been 82-0 or worse. Christian charity and common sense prevailed. Now the question is: Can MP finish out the campaign?

I bet those JV guys had some fun.

By rule- the running clock begins at the start of the 4th quarter when one team leads by 35 or more points. Both coaches can agree to run the clock sooner than that in the game if so desired. If the game is a mismatch- which sounds like that in this case- then the dominant team should be substituting liberally as soon as possible ( which in this case would be in the first half) Let the 2nd and 3rd stringers get into the game early( in this case 1st half) and let them run their stuff. Most coaches on the losing end aren't going to be upset if the dominant team follows this course of action. In severe mismatches- probably best to sub early and run your basic stuff.

If you are up by 35 in the 4th the game is over. Go running clock, get the game over, go home with no injuries, there is nothing left to prove. How many of you really like watching a game that is over by the 3rd quarter? It's over, time to go home.

If you are up by 35 in the 4th the game is over. Go running clock, get the game over, go home with no injuries, there is nothing left to prove. How many of you really like watching a game that is over by the 3rd quarter? It's over, time to go home.

Parents and family members of kids who never play love watching them play in the 4th quarter of games that are over. There is no mercy rule in life there shouldn't be in sports. Don't like getting your arse beat train harder, practice, etc..........in life don't like your current situation move forward and change it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubba3000 and MC415
The championship game of the Little League World Series was called early due to the mercy rule as Japan was ahead of the Texas squad by 10 runs, 12-2. You don't make it to the finals of the Little League World Series without being able to score in big numbers. One big inning and they could have tied it up, but we'll never know.

The championship game of the Little League World Series was called early due to the mercy rule as Japan was ahead of the Texas squad by 10 runs, 12-2. You don't make it to the finals of the Little League World Series without being able to score in big numbers. One big inning and they could have tied it up, but we'll never know.

This is where we are as a society now days. It's sad, instead of fighting and staying the course to achieve a goal we encourage quitting and given a pat on the back. We make it all seem ok with some BS rule and cover it with the "sportsmanship" blanket. Sportsmanship is for after the contest frankly, its when you shake your opponents hand and say good job. During the competition its about winning that particular event period. Political correctness and feelings and whatever other soccer mom crap goes out the window, it's about winning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubba3000

Absurd. Finish what you started.

Our pathetic Snowflake culture continues to whine and surrender when even a hint of opposition presents itself. Maybe it's time for Little League, AYSO and all the rest to create safe spaces for fretting kids and parents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT