ADVERTISEMENT

St Mary's best 0-3 team.

rocknrolus 12

Superstar
Dec 20, 2017
St Mary's still a contender in D1 despite 0-3 record? They are a pretty solid team. I watched the Central and MD games. As I have stated MD would eat Folsom' breakfast and take their milk money! Much respect for the scheduling MD. To bad they couldn't have flipped those Folsom and St Mary's game. Those would have been much better matchup! Not blow outs !

Reactions: Dan12Kings
@rocknrolus 12 But by what u had said on another thread, I think u also thought Oakdale would eat Chaparral High breakfast and take their milk money too ;):D

@rocknrolus 12 But by what u had said on another thread, I think u also thought Oakdale would eat Chaparral High breakfast and take their milk money too ;):D
Hey I already did my eating crow! In person those Colorado kid were a lot bigger in person than on video! Like Mitti the line play was the biggest difference in the game. Now Oakdale has a kid that's about 6'6 but weighs about a buck fifty!

Hey I already did my eating crow! In person those Colorado kid were a lot bigger in person than on video! Like Mitti the line play was the biggest difference in the game. Now Oakdale has a kid that's about 6'6 but weighs about a buck fifty!
just giving u hard time man, it’s cuz that phrase u used sounds really funny. :D

Reactions: rocknrolus 12
St Mary's still a contender in D1 despite 0-3 record? They are a pretty solid team. I watched the Central and MD games. As I have stated MD would eat Folsom' breakfast and take their milk money! Much respect for the scheduling MD. To bad they couldn't have flipped those Folsom and St Mary's game. Those would have been much better matchup! Not blow outs !
With that schedule they’ve played so far they get a get out of jail free card. Brutal schedule

St Mary's still a contender in D1 despite 0-3 record?

I don't think so. Despite the rough schedule, this doesn't look to me like a typical Rams team. I think they're average at best as St. Mary's Rams teams go. They'll win their league (which isn't strong at all) but I just don't see them being much of a threat in D1. They're gonna have to show a lot of improvement IMO.

As I have stated MD would eat Folsom' breakfast and take their milk money!

I'm not so certain of that. At all. MD doesn't have DLS's defense. Folsom would score. Honestly, I'd love to see Folsom play DLS again in the postseason. I think it'd be another fantastic game.

Everyone talks about playing DLS early, but I actually think Folsom's offense was hurt playing DLS early rather than late. Unlike the offense, DLS's defense doesn't take a few games to sync up and get going. They've been in mid-season form since the start. But Folsom's offense wasn't where they are now or where they'll be in a few weeks. If those 2 teams played again, I think we'd get more scoring from both teams like we expected from week 0.

With regard to Folsom playing Mater Dei, I think they could hang with them. I'd certainly pick the Monarchs to win by a couple scores, but I do think Folsom could give them a competitive game.

I really think Folsom would match up well with Centennial. But SJB and MD are just a notch or two better than everyone else in CA.

Reactions: Streak One
just giving u hard time man, it’s cuz that phrase u used sounds really funny. :D
Yes not saying my mom dropped me on my head as a baby. But if she did pretty sure I bounced a couple of times. My own sisters have been telling me all my life I just ain't right in the head.

Honestly, I'd love to see Folsom play DLS again in the postseason. I think it'd be another fantastic game.
you read my mind friend
Everyone talks about playing DLS early, but I actually think Folsom's offense was hurt playing DLS early rather than late.
folsom offense is rollin right now, i wouldn't wanna play them

With regard to Folsom playing Mater Dei, I think they could hang with them.
absolutely!

The Rams are not a contender in D1 this year. They are just too young at the skilled positions on offense and the defense is terrible, probably one of the worst defenses I have seen in my years watching the St. Mary's Rams play football. Next year the offense will be much better with many of the sophomores and juniors being juniors and seniors (at RB, WR, and QB). But, not sure how much better the defense will get. This could be the year that the Lincoln Trojans break their losing streak against St. Mary's ... NOT!. The Rams will still win league and will be in D1 for playoffs. Anticipate an early exit unless much improvement on defense occurs. Not too optimistic. Doesn't help that #3 Jamar Marshall WR (kickoff returner) is no longer on the team.

Correction ... best 0-4 team. Should have won that game vs Damonte. Bad spot on 4th down and 2 inches as the Rams RB reached the ball well over the mark. Yet, ball was spotted a good 2 feet back. Still, some might question the call to run the ball from the shotgun when all you needed was 2 inches. Ball is snapped, the RB received the handoff, stumbles before the line of scrimmage, yet finds a crack to get thru and falls and reaches the ball over the line a scrimmage by a good 6-8 inches. I was holding the pole from where he needed to get past from Damonte's sideline. But, I guess in high school football, the ball gets marked from where the knee hits the ground. Not blaming the call on the field. Instead, I question the St. Mary's coaching staff on why not just take the snap under center and QB sneak for the 2 inches. I mean we are only talking 2 inches and the Rams line was doing there job against a much smaller Damonte d-line. The Rams were moving the ball just fine on the ground and with swing out passes to the sides and letting the play-makers make the play. But, we are talking 2 inches!!! SMH! Instead, the Rams are now 0-4 and are 2 TD underdogs going into their last non-league game vs BOD. Rams could possibly enter league at 0-5, yet still make the playoff if they can win their league (TCAL) against the likes for Tracy and Lincoln. This Rams team is young with a junior QB and sophomore RB that will do much better next year. For this year, it appears to be a learning experiense. Unfortunately, it's been an experience on learning how to lose instead of how to win. Still, the coaches really went out on a limb to schedule this year's team against some very formidable opponents. Just glad no one is hurt thru week 4.

It appears the confidence in QB Noah May throwing the ball is not as high as I thought it would be. Against Damonte, he had one INT and a couple of overthrown balls. But, very rarely did he throw the ball over the middle. I also question just before the first half ended, why throw for the TD on 4th down deep in Damonte territory when they should have settled for something shorter called getting the 1st down. SMH! The Rams appear set to primarily run the ball with sophomore #22 Washington and junior #29 Morris. Word I received is that St. Mary's #3 Jamar Marshall, considered a big-time kickoff/punt returner and WR for the Rams and a state qualifying hurdler in track and field quit the team (before the Central Catholic game), reason not disclosed. Quite possibly this could be the year the Rams lose to Tracy and/or Lincoln and not win league and not make the playoffs. Would love to be optimistic, but realistically, it does not looks so good. Still have hope.

The QB for Damonte Ranch, Michigan commit, #12 Cade Mcnamara, is the real deal! That kid has an arm and is very accurate in his throws. He also throws well on the run. He also has a huge heart for the game, pulling out big 4th down conversions running the ball that were critical in beating St. Mary's. Take him out of the game and St. Mary's wins the game. Michigan is getting themselves a good one.

Despite the Rams loss, overall, they played better and really had a shot to pull off the upset. Despite being a 2 TD underdog to BOD, an upset victory is still quite possible. Hopefully, the Rams coaches learned from this game vs Damonte, too. We'll see. GO RAMS!!!

Sometimes team win/ lose record doesn't tell it all. I still think SM still a pretty solid team. Well maybe better disciption solid athletes. East Union has a 1-4 record and I watch a lot of high school football games. EU is a much better than their record shows. Oakdale didn't help itself with 4 turnovers. EU 1-4 Oakdale 4-1 eight points difference. Teams pretty close . Oakdale had problems stopping pass. EU couldn't stop run. East Union coach is showing much improved teams.

I don't think so. Despite the rough schedule, this doesn't look to me like a typical Rams team. I think they're average at best as St. Mary's Rams teams go. They'll win their league (which isn't strong at all) but I just don't see them being much of a threat in D1. They're gonna have to show a lot of improvement IMO.

I'm not so certain of that. At all. MD doesn't have DLS's defense. Folsom would score. Honestly, I'd love to see Folsom play DLS again in the postseason. I think it'd be another fantastic game.

Everyone talks about playing DLS early, but I actually think Folsom's offense was hurt playing DLS early rather than late. Unlike the offense, DLS's defense doesn't take a few games to sync up and get going. They've been in mid-season form since the start. But Folsom's offense wasn't where they are now or where they'll be in a few weeks. If those 2 teams played again, I think we'd get more scoring from both teams like we expected from week 0.

With regard to Folsom playing Mater Dei, I think they could hang with them. I'd certainly pick the Monarchs to win by a couple scores, but I do think Folsom could give them a competitive game.

I really think Folsom would match up well with Centennial. But SJB and MD are just a notch or two better than everyone else in CA.

...a notch or two or three or four or five or six or seven, actually...

...a notch or two or three or four or five or six or seven, actually...

Better, yes. But not to that degree. Folsom's offense is explosive enough that if their defense keeps playing as it has for all but one game, they could compete and represent well. MD and SJB don't have DLS's defense and Folsom's offense is much improved since that 1st game anyway. If DLS's offense improves as they tend to usually do by playoff time, they'll compete just as well if not better due to their elite defense. #1 and #2 in NorCal aren't that far behind SJB and MD. But they are behind, for sure.

That's a tough loss with Marshall.

I think this week is a good barometer for St. Mary's. Mater Dei is one of the best in the nation and Pitt is one of the best in the state. They were competitive against Central Catholic and Damonte Ranch (two very solid teams). O'Dowd is maybe a notch below, but they do have some playmakers on both sides of the ball

Better, yes. But not to that degree. Folsom's offense is explosive enough that if their defense keeps playing as it has for all but one game, they could compete and represent well. MD and SJB don't have DLS's defense and Folsom's offense is much improved since that 1st game anyway. If DLS's offense improves as they tend to usually do by playoff time, they'll compete just as well if not better due to their elite defense. #1 and #2 in NorCal aren't that far behind SJB and MD. But they are behind, for sure.
I may have to disagree just a little....they do have defenses as good as DLS's and offenses as dynamic as Folsom. So maybe NorCal is only 3 notches below this year and not 5 like last year :)

Correction ... best 0-4 team. Should have won that game vs Damonte. Bad spot on 4th down and 2 inches as the Rams RB reached the ball well over the mark. Yet, ball was spotted a good 2 feet back. Still, some might question the call to run the ball from the shotgun when all you needed was 2 inches. Ball is snapped, the RB received the handoff, stumbles before the line of scrimmage, yet finds a crack to get thru and falls and reaches the ball over the line a scrimmage by a good 6-8 inches. I was holding the pole from where he needed to get past from Damonte's sideline. But, I guess in high school football, the ball gets marked from where the knee hits the ground. Not blaming the call on the field. Instead, I question the St. Mary's coaching staff on why not just take the snap under center and QB sneak for the 2 inches. I mean we are only talking 2 inches and the Rams line was doing there job against a much smaller Damonte d-line. The Rams were moving the ball just fine on the ground and with swing out passes to the sides and letting the play-makers make the play. But, we are talking 2 inches!!! SMH! Instead, the Rams are now 0-4 and are 2 TD underdogs going into their last non-league game vs BOD. Rams could possibly enter league at 0-5, yet still make the playoff if they can win their league (TCAL) against the likes for Tracy and Lincoln. This Rams team is young with a junior QB and sophomore RB that will do much better next year. For this year, it appears to be a learning experiense. Unfortunately, it's been an experience on learning how to lose instead of how to win. Still, the coaches really went out on a limb to schedule this year's team against some very formidable opponents. Just glad no one is hurt thru week 4.

It appears the confidence in QB Noah May throwing the ball is not as high as I thought it would be. Against Damonte, he had one INT and a couple of overthrown balls. But, very rarely did he throw the ball over the middle. I also question just before the first half ended, why throw for the TD on 4th down deep in Damonte territory when they should have settled for something shorter called getting the 1st down. SMH! The Rams appear set to primarily run the ball with sophomore #22 Washington and junior #29 Morris. Word I received is that St. Mary's #3 Jamar Marshall, considered a big-time kickoff/punt returner and WR for the Rams and a state qualifying hurdler in track and field quit the team (before the Central Catholic game), reason not disclosed. Quite possibly this could be the year the Rams lose to Tracy and/or Lincoln and not win league and not make the playoffs. Would love to be optimistic, but realistically, it does not looks so good. Still have hope.

The QB for Damonte Ranch, Michigan commit, #12 Cade Mcnamara, is the real deal! That kid has an arm and is very accurate in his throws. He also throws well on the run. He also has a huge heart for the game, pulling out big 4th down conversions running the ball that were critical in beating St. Mary's. Take him out of the game and St. Mary's wins the game. Michigan is getting themselves a good one.

Despite the Rams loss, overall, they played better and really had a shot to pull off the upset. Despite being a 2 TD underdog to BOD, an upset victory is still quite possible. Hopefully, the Rams coaches learned from this game vs Damonte, too. We'll see. GO RAMS!!!
I think they can beat O’Dowd. In fact, I’m calling it right now

I may have to disagree just a little....they do have defenses as good as DLS's and offenses as dynamic as Folsom. So maybe NorCal is only 3 notches below this year and not 5 like last year :)

Fair enough. We all seem to agree that those teams appear to be superior to everyone else. By how much is still up for debate.

Great win for Rams, showed they are still pretty good just played brutal schedule. ODowd clearly not at that level as they have lost a lot from last two years and dont seem to have much to build on outside of Jones. Make me question how good is Monte Vista who Odowd clipped last week. MV beat Granite Bay but its looking like GB aint so hot either.

Getting to the point of the year where you see how impressive non-league wins really are.

Is St. Mary's more reliant on the run this year? Couldn't tell from the box score if this was the case or if game flow dictated it?

Reactions: bulldogmgc
Getting to the point of the year where you see how impressive non-league wins really are.

Is St. Mary's more reliant on the run this year? Couldn't tell from the box score if this was the case or if game flow dictated it?
Both. BOD could not stop the run, so the Rams kept on running. They probably looked at film/results from prior BOD games and noticed that BOD defense gives up plenty yards vs the run. But, I still question the confidence in the Rams aerial attack. Remember, their best WR, IMHO, quit the team. I do anticipate the Rams will stay more reliant on the run this year, as a result, but also because they do have a couple of young bucks who can carry the rock in Morris and Washington. I really like the sophomore, Tyrie Washington. But, I also have a gut feeling that they may open it up more so during league when competition may not be as tough. This is a very young Rams team. They will be good, but not great this year. They will be much better next year.

While not as good as St. Mary's-Stockton, another team that might be much better than their W/L record suggests are the Sacramento Dragons.

They currently sit at 1-4 with 2 blowout losses. Not good at all.

But consider the W/L record of the opponents to which they lost is 21-0. The losses to Rancho Cotate and Chico were by 4 and 1 point respectively. They got blown out by Del Oro and Inderkum.

Are they a section title contending team? Likely not. But they do appear to be much better than a 1-4 record typically looks. They appear to me to be decent playoff caliber team.

TCAL league that St. Mary's is in does not look good at all this year. Both Lodi and Tokay losing to Chavez and Bear Creek. Tracy losing to Turlock and Manteca (blowout) not impressive. Lincoln (0-5) has played a tougher competition than Tracy, but not tougher than St. Mary's and Lincoln got blown out by Central Catholic (7-47), when St. Mary's was actually quite competitive vs Central Catholic and had the momentum early 1st half before 2 huge turnovers in the 2nd half that cost them the game. Still think Tracy vs Lincoln should be a good game, but neither stands a chance vs St. Mary's for the TCAL league title. The Rams should cruise thru league, especially with a huge blowout win vs West tonight. Again, the Rams are "good" but "not great". Much is attributed to the fact that they are a young team. The Rams will be a SJS D1 contender next year, not this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT