ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford Job

Bubba3000

Hall of Famer
Dec 12, 2012
Rumor has it Troy Taylor and Jason Garrett are both interviewing for Cardinal Job. I’m a fan of Troy Taylor. I’m also a lifelong Dallas Cowboys fan and I’m not a fan of Garrett. He may be fine and dandy for the college game, but he always seemed to get the least out of his talent pool at the pro level. In addition it seemed none of his players at Dallas had any fear of him. I’m old and I’m old school and I like a coach that is feared at least a little bit by his players.

People are free to do as they please and to each their own, but if it's true that Coach Taylor is interviewing I'm a tad surprised. For a man who has repeatedly stated that higher pay isn't a motivating factor and with CAL being in his heart and soul as an alumni -- I wouldn't think he'd consider that gig.

Putting myself in a similar situation, if I loved the situation I was currently in and wasn't motivated by money or other factors that many others are -- and if I was a former Ohio State Buckeyes great -- there's no chance I'd interview for a position at scUM. None.

Hell, growing up a Miami Dolphins fan from the age of 6 or 7, had I been in the enviable position of being a top draft pick, I'd have pulled a John Elway, Bo Jackson and Eli Manning and refused to play for a list of particular teams.

I couldn't work for a rival or a team I really hated. Just couldn't do it.

I'm very old school in that way and miss the days when the players and staffs of teams really disliked their rivals and opponents. Think Celtics and Lakers, Celtics and Pistons, Raiders and Chiefs, Cowboys and 49ers, Dolphins and Jets, Tar Heels and Blue Devils, and, of course, Buckeyes and that team up North.

I know TT is a few years older than me and thought he might very well be similar in this regard. Kind of a generational thing.

As a life long Cowboy fan, The Niners are not thier rival.....It's the Niners who want that to be so.....The Pokes rivals are in the East, Giants, Feagels and the Skins opps (Commanders) lol

Reactions: Bubba3000
As a life long Cowboy fan, The Niners are not thier rival.....It's the Niners who want that to be so.....The Pokes rivals are in the East, Giants, Feagels and the Skins opps (Commanders) lol
Due to important playoff games, which the Cowboys are 5-3 I consider the Forty Niners a rival

As a Cal alum, longtime season ticket holder, and game attender since 1964 I would hate to see Taylor go to Stanford. This crossover is not unprecedented as Bill Walsh coached at Cal and John Ralston was a Cal alumnus. I guess this will be a good indication of what Troy Taylor values the most. If the Cal ties are not factored in this is a no-brainer. To be able to coach at the highest level of college football, at a salary many times what he is making now, with great facilities and alumni with deep pockets at a prestigious university. Plus, they don't regard themselves as a football factory and the pressure to win is not as great as elsewhere. But, does the Blue and Gold coursing through his veins outweigh all that? I won't think less of him if he does go to Stanford (as long as he doesn't do well, of course); Cal has enough problems of their own.

Man that Stanford position is awfully attractive. Especially for someone who is ambitious. Prestigious University, nice facilities, deeper pockets, TV games, etc.

(Major if: If UCLA gets blocked from the Big 10 by UC Regents, Stanford would be a great replacement. That Big 10 check would be lovely! )

Outside of winning an FCS Championship, there isn’t much more that Taylor can do at Sac State, except propel Sac State into the FBS and continue to stamp his legacy in his own backyard. Not a bad option either.

IMO, Sacramento is better suited for FBS. It would allow you the opportunity to keep the majority of the talent right here at home!

Yeah Mike Montgomery coached both Stanford and CAL in men’s hoops. Had success in both places. Stanford job is a life changing type gig. Why not Troy Taylor?

People are free to do as they please and to each their own, but if it's true that Coach Taylor is interviewing I'm a tad surprised. For a man who has repeatedly stated that higher pay isn't a motivating factor and with CAL being in his heart and soul as an alumni -- I wouldn't think he'd consider that gig.

Putting myself in a similar situation, if I loved the situation I was currently in and wasn't motivated by money or other factors that many others are -- and if I was a former Ohio State Buckeyes great -- there's no chance I'd interview for a position at scUM. None.

Hell, growing up a Miami Dolphins fan from the age of 6 or 7, had I been in the enviable position of being a top draft pick, I'd have pulled a John Elway, Bo Jackson and Eli Manning and refused to play for a list of particular teams.

I couldn't work for a rival or a team I really hated. Just couldn't do it.

I'm very old school in that way and miss the days when the players and staffs of teams really disliked their rivals and opponents. Think Celtics and Lakers, Celtics and Pistons, Raiders and Chiefs, Cowboys and 49ers, Dolphins and Jets, Tar Heels and Blue Devils, and, of course, Buckeyes and that team up North.

I know TT is a few years older than me and thought he might very well be similar in this regard. Kind of a generational thing.
5 years for 20 million or 25 million versus $300-400k a year I’m supposed to say no just bc of a “old school just say no to my rivals” mentality ? Lol okay

5 years for 20 million or 25 million versus $300-400k a year I’m supposed to say no just bc of a “old school just say no to my rivals” mentality ? Lol okay
In 1996 Steve Mariucci had just finished his first year as Cal head coach with a reasonably good season (by Cal's low standards) and appeared to be happy and looking forward to years of success. Then the 49ers came along and offered him the head coaching job. So, he left for the better job. Cal fans were naturally outraged, and I was not happy too (many fans to this day grouse about this) but when one of the premier NFL teams wants you, a recent Super Bowl winning team, you jump right up and say "Yes sir, where do I sign?" Now, Stanford isn't even remotely close to coaching the Niners but it's still a giant step up.

In 1996 Steve Mariucci had just finished his first year as Cal head coach with a reasonably good season (by Cal's low standards) and appeared to be happy and looking forward to years of success. Then the 49ers came along and offered him the head coaching job. So, he left for the better job. Cal fans were naturally outraged, and I was not happy too (many fans to this day grouse about this) but when one of the premier NFL teams wants you, a recent Super Bowl winning team, you jump right up and say "Yes sir, where do I sign?" Now, Stanford isn't even remotely close to coaching the Niners but it's still a giant step up.
I would say going from CAL to the Niners is pretty comparable to Sac State vs Stanford. It’s not an incremental change. This is a monumental leap to arguably the finest academic brand in the world.
The strange thing is I wouldn’t be surprised if sac state could beat Stanford this year. That’s how far one program has fell and one has rose. Easy choice in my book.

Reactions: RLS13

Same.

As a life long Niner fan, The Cowboys are not thier rival.....It's the Cowboys who want that to be so.....The Faithful’s rivals are in the West, Rams, Raiders and the Seacawks opps (Seahawks) lol

• Haha
Reactions: Bubba3000 and MC415
Yeah Mike Montgomery coached both Stanford and CAL in men’s hoops. Had success in both places. Stanford job is a life changing type gig. Why not Troy Taylor?
Taylor would be a Great Hire for Stanford, but it would be a Bad Choice for Taylor….

Stanford won’t take transfers and that is how the College game is played now…. Taylor would be better off waiting for another Gig where he will be able to build a team quickly…. He has an attractive offense for skill players but he is not going to get great players at Stanford….

Reactions: Macallan
Taylor would be a Great Hire for Stanford, but it would be a Bad Choice for Taylor….

Stanford won’t take transfers and that is how the College game is played now…. Taylor would be better off waiting for another Gig where he will be able to build a team quickly…. He has an attractive offense for skill players but he is not going to get great players at Stanford….
If Taylor keeps winning other offers will come. There are a lot of issues swirling around Stanford. They are very reluctant to participate in the NIL world, and because of their admissions standards they can get very few transfers in, if any. They certainly aren't going to put out money for players, under the table or not, unlike the serial cheaters of the world like (school deleted here but everyone knows who they are) where sackfuls of cash flow freely (not to mention the SEC). There are even rumors floating about that if the NIL payments really take off Stanford will not participate and will downgrade or eliminate their football program. They have money to fund the other sports, but a drastic measure like this will surely not sit well with their big donors. At this point in time I don't think anyone in the major college football world knows where this will all end up.

it is true, and my understanding is that he already interviewed once. Now that he’s a finalist-I assume there will be a Round 2.

Sucks

I feel the exact same way. With NIL and the transfer portal, Stanford‘s ability to compete gets tougher and tougher each year. The Farm just isn’t set up to take on transfers easily.

with that said, Taylor seems to be a bit stubborn - in that if he’s told he “can’t” or “shouldn’t” do something - it makes him want to do it even more.

if Stanford if looking for a big name to get the boosters excited, Garrett is probably their guy. but if they want someone who knows how to recruit California (and the West Coast) , and how to relate to college kids and build a winning program, Taylor is their guy.

If he leaves ,Sac States program will be decimated, as I’d guess he’d bring much of his staff with him. Ugh

Reactions: THEOC89
The NIL and transfer portal is great for college sports. The NIL deals could make Stanford a very attractive place for recruits, given their alumni and proximity to Silicon Valley.

The NIL and transfer portal is great for college sports. The NIL deals could make Stanford a very attractive place for recruits, given their alumni and proximity to Silicon Valley.

I think the portal and NIL is great for the athletes for sure and I’m all for it, but as a fan it makes disinterested……actually on a positive note it’s made me a huge fan of G5 football and FCS that’s pretty much all I watch now and became a SJSU season ticket holder, cool to watch Sac St and SJSU win games with mostly NorCal rosters that is what I want to dedicate my limited time too

I found zero interest in watching well armed Bagmen spendings millions of arming their teams with mercenaries at the expense of lower level programs……..Georgia St takes a chance on you and you thrive, awesome U$C comes along with a Bag $$ and off you go to play for a year or two….which heck I get it get paid! Just as a fan ain’t for me

I’m like you MC when I look at my scores app my eyes are instantly drawn to the FCS and Mountain West conference

Reactions: MC415
I’m like you MC when I look at my scores app my eyes are instantly drawn to the FCS and Mountain West conference

Yup me too MWC and Big Sky are my first 2 favorites I have set then P12 after that I don’t care at all anymore

They were in the 90’s. That’s to which I was referring.

The Cowboys NFC East rivals weren’t on the Niners level once the Giants and Skins faded after 91-92ish.

I think the portal and NIL is great for the athletes for sure and I’m all for it, but as a fan it makes disinterested……actually on a positive note it’s made me a huge fan of G5 football and FCS that’s pretty much all I watch now and became a SJSU season ticket holder, cool to watch Sac St and SJSU win games with mostly NorCal rosters that is what I want to dedicate my limited time too

I found zero interest in watching well armed Bagmen spendings millions of arming their teams with mercenaries at the expense of lower level programs……..Georgia St takes a chance on you and you thrive, awesome U$C comes along with a Bag $$ and off you go to play for a year or two….which heck I get it get paid! Just as a fan ain’t for me
I get it. Fair enough.

College football FBS P5 is big business. When you have college coaches making 10 million per year and programs operating nearly 200 million annually; you have to pay players and open up opportunities for them to make $$$.

Otherwise it’s complete exploitation. And to think the colleges and NCAA are still getting away with major exploitation.

These players are making universities, shoe companies, television stations, etc. billions of dollars.

I’m with you. My interest in college athletics has greatly diminished and continues to diminish by the day.

College football and basketball have been on a course to crash for a few decades now and NIL has just accelerated things.

The lower levels of those sports are still interesting (more interesting than FBS anyway) but still tainted due to NIL and the transfer portal.

I’ve always loved HS sports because they differed so much from college and pro but even it has been greatly tainted over the past decade or so.

TV, money, greed, etc, has turned these sports into something I hardly recognize anymore and don’t really like.

Reactions: MC415
I get it. Fair enough.

College football FBS P5 is big business.

But it shouldn’t be and never was intended to be. At one point in time not that long ago — it wasn’t.

While television/streaming coverage has been a wonderful innovation and addition — it’s also responsible for the decline of what made these sports so great during their heydays.

Money eventually ruins most things.

But it shouldn’t be and never was intended to be. At one point in time not that long ago — it wasn’t.

While television/streaming coverage has been a wonderful innovation and addition — it’s also responsible for the decline of what made these sports so great during their heydays.

Indeed! That’s why High School, JuCo, FCS football, and low/mid major basketball are great options for fans who still want their amateur sports fix.

College Football and Basketball are big business sports driven by the SouthEast and the Midwest regions.

They created an incredible sports infrastructure that has become increasingly lucrative. In many instances it rivals professional sports entities: Great facilities, huge fan bases, premier athletes and lucrative TV deals. This is all possible because the schools serve as a farm system for the the NFL and NBA.

Everything was cool as long as the players were getting paid under the table but when the sanctions came the players had to speak up! They are the reason the money keeps coming in!

Earvin Johnson and Larry Bird knew their worth in 1979! Still the most watched college basketball game in history of the sport…

Pete Carroll knew this at USC…He had no rival! He had an NFL team at USC… The guys were rock stars! Lol ! Big City college football at its finest!

And I loved every minute of it! Lol

The athletes are the reason that this infrastructure was built. It was built on their talents. This was bound to happen as there isn’t a farm league for football. And the NBA farm league is 40 years too late.

For this purpose, they deserve major compensation. Given the TV deals, the PW5 athletes should receive $50-100k per season. Especially those in the SEC and Big 10.

Reactions: ankleassassin
I get it. Fair enough.

College football FBS P5 is big business. When you have college coaches making 10 million per year and programs operating nearly 200 million annually; you have to pay players and open up opportunities for them to make $$$.

Otherwise it’s complete exploitation. And to think the colleges and NCAA are still getting away with major exploitation.

These players are making universities, shoe companies, television stations, etc. billions of dollars.
What NIL has become in a very short period of time, has very little to do with what it was originally intended to be.
Name, Image & Likeness wasnt intended to offer high school kids a guaranteed income if you simply come to (fill in school name here). Original legal arguments were around kids #'s on frickin video games, etc. Now we got schools basically promising kids revenue streams before they step foot on campus.

File where we are today in P5 football under the heading "unintended consequences".

Garrett withdrew from consideration. So if reports are true, sounds like it is Taylor's job if he wants it.

I kind of think this is a good spot for him if he wanted to make the jump. Stanford is in need of someone who is schematically good (Taylor is that on offense) and a good talent evaluator (I think Taylor is that as well). I don't think he would do well in the fast paced NIL/bartering world and he will face less of that at Stanford

Reactions: RLS13

Agree. That is why I tend to migrate to the more localized smaller level teams. The bosco snd mater dei thing does nothing for me.

As for Taylor, I’m a huge fan and will always root for him. I love what he has done at sac state and wish him the best.

Reactions: ThunderRam
What NIL has become in a very short period of time, has very little to do with what it was originally intended to be.
Name, Image & Likeness wasnt intended to offer high school kids a guaranteed income if you simply come to (fill in school name here). Original legal arguments were around kids #'s on frickin video games, etc. Now we got schools basically promising kids revenue streams before they step foot on campus.

File where we are today in P5 football under the heading "unintended consequences".
High Schools and HS kids have been getting this type of treatment all along.

This is where companies like Nike, Adidas, and Under Armour come into play. Certain schools get sponsors because they bring in athletes that are on the fast track to the NBA, NFL, or major college sports institutions.

Ex…Nike has Colleges, High Schools, AAU teams, Youth football leagues, etc in the bag… the companies all run camps where they evaluate talent

This has been going on for over 30 years. Possibly longer than that.

The coaches, boosters, and agents are in on it too.

Fun fact: They’ve known about Lebron James since about the 7th grade

High Schools and HS kids have been getting this type of treatment all along.

This is where companies like Nike, Adidas, and Under Armour come into play. Certain schools get sponsors because they bring in athletes that are on the fast track to the NBA, NFL, or major college sports institutions.

Ex…Nike has Colleges, High Schools, AAU teams, Youth football leagues, etc in the bag… the companies all run camps where they evaluate talent

This has been going on for over 30 years. Possibly longer than that.

The coaches, boosters, and agents are in on it too.

Fun fact: They’ve known about Lebron James since about the 7th grade
Fun fact 2. Jkidd was a legit pro by 9th-10th grade. Could have played in league at 16.

Reactions: BigMann08
college athletes deserve a piece of the pie. if you never were one, you wouldnt understand.
Nahhh. The rare College athletes at the highest level (the Bama of the world for football and UK/Duke for hoops. If you are a usf Don getting a fine Jesuit education for free you are happy. The European pro soccer model is actually makes the most sense for the .0001%

If you look at recruiting rankings and even AP Top 25, how much of it has changed since NIL came along? I don't love the poaching that happens right now, but generally speaking, the pecking order remains the same in college sports.

If you look at recruiting rankings and even AP Top 25, how much of it has changed since NIL came along? I don't love the poaching that happens right now, but generally speaking, the pecking order remains the same in college sports.
Probably not much, but then again, the Top 25 before NIL, were always the big boys with the most money. I just think it makes it harder than ever for anyone else to break through. Whats happening to the quality mid majors we used to talk about in the Top 10? Is it just a down cycle, or are they losing out on some players they’d used to get because kids are following the $$$

Same.

As a life long Niner fan, The Cowboys are not thier rival.....It's the Cowboys who want that to be so.....The Faithful’s rivals are in the West, Rams, Raiders and the Seacawks opps (Seahawks) lol
Go to Texas, where I am from, and you won't hear anyone barking up the Niners.....but as a transplant to Sacramento, all I have heard here is the Niner fans wanting the Cowboys....

Fun fact 2. Jkidd was a legit pro by 9th-10th grade. Could have played in league at 16.
Kidd was definitely a great talent! I think that he could have made the jump from HS. He was an incredible floor general at a young age. Although college allowed him to mature and grow. The PAC 10 was Jr NBA during those years too… So his game wasn’t hampered by over coaching.

Maybe the Kings would have drafted him and he could have played alongside of Mitch Richmond.

Lebron on the other hand, had no business going to college hahahaha

Garrett withdrew from consideration. So if reports are true, sounds like it is Taylor's job if he wants it.

I kind of think this is a good spot for him if he wanted to make the jump. Stanford is in need of someone who is schematically good (Taylor is that on offense) and a good talent evaluator (I think Taylor is that as well). I don't think he would do well in the fast paced NIL/bartering world and he will face less of that at Stanford
Wow this Stanford job must suck hahahaha…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT