ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford Job

As much as folks think the academic standing of L Stanford Jr U precludes them from not attracting top D1/FBS talent that's false. Just like the Ivies, they must attract horses to compete. And compete they do. Most years...

Maybe Taylor pulls a Montgomery in a few years.

Reactions: observer22
Stanford might be located in California but they are really a national school. Like the Ivies their students come from all over the country, especially in sports. They have to recruit on a national basis to get the athlete that has the grades to get in (they say they don't relax standards for athletes but I'm somewhat skeptical of that). That eliminates many top prospects but on the other hand if there is a qualified athlete anywhere in the country they know about them and more often than not they get them. Cal competes head-to-head for some of these but if the recruit actually gets admitted to Stanford (not just offered a scholarship, as there is no guarantee of entry even then) Cal usually loses out. When I
transferred to Cal from Modesto JC in 1971 the accepted Cal viewpoint was that Stanford was much harder to get into than Cal but easier to stay in when you're there. At the time Stanford did not give out F's so you literally had to make an effort to flunk out. At Cal it was sink or swim. I'm not sure if Stanford gives F's now but otherwise I doubt anything has materially changed. Other than at both schools it is much harder to get into now than when I was there.

Last edited:
Stanford might be located in California but they are really a national school. ...... Cal competes head-to-head for some of these but if the recruit actually gets admitted to Stanford (not just offered a scholarship, as there is no guarantee of entry even then) Cal usually loses out. When I went transferred to Cal from Modesto JC in 1971 the accepted Cal viewpoint was that Stanford was much harder to get into than Cal but easier to stay in when you're there. At the time Stanford did not give out F's so you literally had to make an effort to flunk out. At Cal it was sink or swim. I'm not sure if Stanford gives F's now but otherwise I doubt anything has materially changed. Other than at both schools it is much harder to get into now than when I was there.
Tru that , I entered in '73 from a JC type school from Ohio AND I AM SURE I would have a difficult time getting in now......

Tru that , I entered in '73 from a JC type school from Ohio AND I AM SURE I would have a difficult time getting in now......
@Larno too. As Old Blues you are acutely aware Stanfurd allows students to DROP a class the week before finals. At UCB, it's allowed ONLY in the first four weeks of class (quarter system back then so you know my era.) Thus, a GBear must suck it up even before mid-terms. BTW, I know of someone admitted to S who certainly didn't have the chops academically but was an athletic legacy. No, not Chelsea Clinton!

So, it's true there are no Ds/Fs on the Farm as a student (especially there) does not want that on a transcript...unless your name is Elizabeth Holmes. LOL.

Nahhh. The rare College athletes at the highest level (the Bama of the world for football and UK/Duke for hoops. If you are a usf Don getting a fine Jesuit education for free you are happy. The European pro soccer model is actually makes the most sense for the .0001%
no scholarship athlete is getting anything for free. D1 athletics is a full time job in addition to full time student. but anyone else on scholarship such as the band, the student on academics and such can make money. if you ever played D1 sports you would get this.

Reactions: pryce57
I mentioned It elsewhere, but I have a hard time imagining Taylor doesn’t try to take some, if not all, of these guys with him. I think Richardson is most likely to be offered a spot with Taylor. Im not as up to speed on Thompson’s prior relationship with Troy, and I think Fresques is most likely to stay. Hes a Sac St grad, and his family is tied to Sac pretty tightly.

I think if KR was offered the HC job, that’s the only way all 3 could potentially stay. I’ve got to think KR would take a job on Taylor’s staff rather than remain an Asst with the Hornets

glad to see Orr is working quickly to get this figured out!

@Larno too. As Old Blues you are acutely aware Stanfurd allows students to DROP a class the week before finals. At UCB, it's allowed ONLY in the first four weeks of class (quarter system back then so you know my era.) Thus, a GBear must suck it up even before mid-terms. BTW, I know of someone admitted to S who certainly didn't have the chops academically but was an athletic legacy. No, not Chelsea Clinton!

So, it's true there are no Ds/Fs on the Farm as a student (especially there) does not want that on a transcript...unless your name is Elizabeth Holmes. LOL.
The UC system does make any provision for acceptance preference for legacies or donor's kids, athlete or not. As a private school Stanford can let in anyone they want. I have no direct knowledge but my guess is that they do show some preference for prominent legacies but for the most part they stick to their admittance standards. Unlike the other private university in the Pac 12.

The UC system does make any provision for acceptance preference for legacies or donor's kids, athlete or not. As a private school Stanford can let in anyone they want. I have no direct knowledge but my guess is that they do show some preference for prominent legacies but for the most part they stick to their admittance standards. Unlike the other private university in the Pac 12.
My understanding is that unlike most programs they make sure they can get a guy past admissions BEFORE offering a scholarship

Reactions: Macallan
Dig deeper. If UCB can get Beastmode in, S can get anybody they need to fill the roster.
Look up "application bands" for admittance in the Ivies...same thing.
Jeff Tedford had the best run at Cal in decades, but in his final few years things were falling apart. His health was deteriorating and the academic standards were slipping drastically. That more than his losing seasons hastened his firing. Sonny Dykes cleaned up the mess and and there are now programs in place to make sure this doesn't happen again. Marshawn Lynch has proven to be a pretty shrewd businessman and while he might not have a been a top academic admit he still had to go to class and maintain grades. Cal has an extensive support system in place to help the athletes, absolutely essential in a place where some professors are not supportive and in some cases antagonistic towards athletes. Can you imagine that in the SEC? The professor would be tarred and feathered.

Reactions: THEOC89
Dig deeper. If UCB can get Beastmode in, S can get anybody they need to fill the roster.
Look up "application bands" for admittance in the Ivies...same thing.

Beastmode due to racist stereotypes is assumed he wasn’t a good high school student……here is the truth

“ For everyone who's surprised by his old picture, just remember - Lynch went to UC Berkeley on a 3.5 GPA and 1200 SAT score”

Reactions: concrete17
Beastmode due to racist stereotypes is assumed he wasn’t a good high school student……here is the truth

“ For everyone who's surprised by his old picture, just remember - Lynch went to UC Berkeley on a 3.5 GPA and 1200 SAT score”

Recollection was I had read otherwise but I appreciate being enlightened with facts. I edited.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT