ADVERTISEMENT

STATE BOWL PREDICTIONS

cappyjohnson

Seasoned Veteran
Sep 30, 2014
I see Norcal taking 4 games this year. My two question marks are Clayton Valley & Campo. Clayton Valley has athletes to compete with Redlands. Campo well deserved to be there, but El capitan might be a little to much for Campo. Look for DLS to win the second half big. Folsom should dominate Oceanside, Folsom gets up on Oceanside it will take them out of their game. Central Catholic will win with bigger line play.

OPEN
DLS 35 CC 14

DI
FOSLOM 48 OCEANSIDE 7

DII
CLAYTON VALLEY 21 REDLANDS EV 14

DIII
EL CAPITAN 35 CAMPOLINDO 14

DIV
CENTRAL CATHOLLIC 35 ST MARGARETS 21

I also feel good overall about our chances this year to walk away with more wins than losses. I see the first 2 games a little closer.

DLS 35 over CC 24
Folsom 42 over Oceanside 24

Here is where it gets interesting…. I could see the D2 and D3 games being a split. Redlands EV looks very good on tape. They are very athletics. It sounds like El Capitan is as well. I don't know enough about the scal schools.

I like CC in D4.

Im not so sure that OSide will be a cakewalk. I hope Folsom wins big, but this will be, by far, Folsoms stiffest challenge of the yr. I can see either team winning.
48-7 basically means that F does the 'run away and hide' thing. Just dont think that can be done to OSide. The CV game is another tuffie to call.
In fact, I can see either the N or the S winning 4-1. It will be interesting, tahts for sure.
And the CC-DLS game, that will be the final HS game played in the country, (again) in 2014.
All-star games dont count. They are exhibitions and not real competitions.

Without knowing much at all about the SoCal teams, I think NorCal is set up pretty well. DLS and Folsom go in as favorites. CVC is a strong D2 team and D2 is down in the South with the changes in division and Central is always tough in D4.

Open:
DLS vs CC = DLS by 3. Unfortunately, DLS is less tested among stronger teams. And CC has shown an improvement toward the end of the season. CC has been tested by at least 4 highly ranked teams with one of their losses replayed for a victory in playoffs. I only pick DLS because of their history of playoffs and noting that we don't know the DLS top-end performance this year. But this might be a good year to pick a DLS loss.

DI:
FHS vs OS = FHS by 14+.
I'm not ready to drink the Folsom koolaid just quite yet. They are much better than I expected on Oline, Dline and rush this year. But I'm not convinced that Grant was the premiere team being sold the Grant fans. Oceanside (and Helix) would have probably beat Grant this year. That being said, it's just plain hard to argue with 46-0 end of third quarter Folsom/Grant score.

DII:
CVC vs REV = CVC by 3.
This should be a good game that may not be decided until late 4th quarter. From basic appearance, CVC might win by 10-14 points, but the decisive REV win over Ridgeview in the SoCal RBG game gives me pause, even to the point that a REV win would not surprise me.

DIII:
CL vs EC = EC by 21+.
Campolindo has had a nice run, but allowing a lesser team (Sutter) to score 14 points out of the gate is a bad sign when dealing with a buzz saw like El Capitan. EC has a win over the SDS powerhouse Helix and a strong win against Paso Roble in the SoCal RBG game. EC could have competed at a much higher level this year with success. If Campolindo can keep the score close at any part of the game, I will see it as a CL strength.

DIV:
CC vs SM = CC by 7

This should be another good game not decided until 4th quarter. I'm expecting the battle readiness schedule to help CC later in the game.

I may be in a rare position of having seen all of the SoCal teams play.

D-Open: I know DLS has been dominant as usual and the NorCal fans are very optimistic about this game... and rightfully so. But make no mistake about it, this is a very good Centennial team. I saw them get beat pretty bad against Mater Dei to open the year, then improve a whole lot through the year. I believe DLS still has the edge because the Huskie D is only marginally better than last year. I think this game goes somewhat like the last time they met... DLS jumps out early, CC finds their feet, but can't catch up. DLS by 10.

D-I: Simply put, I believe Oceanside is going to get throttled. The Pirates have been down double-digits at least twice this season, including to Helix in the SDS championship game. Helix split two games against Cathedral Catholic and I witnessed Folsom absolutely drill the Dons to open the year. It's not uncommon for the top SDS team to be able to compete against the really good SS teams, but this year isn't that year. Fresno Edison was just a dumb team, making a lot of stupid mistakes. Folsom by 28+.

D-II: I saw the REV game against Ridgeview. The game wasn't as decisive as the final score indicated. REV was actually down at halftime and the Ridgeview QB got hurt in the 3rd quarter. After that, REV finally took over. That said, I sort of view Ridgeview similarly to Oakdale. They were mostly a running team, but with a sneaky passing game. I think this game could be somewhat of a toss-up. Only because I feel like I have to make a pick, I'm going to go with REV by 3. Could easily be CVC by 7.

D-III: El Capitan is a really good team. Paso Robles looked completely lost against them (frankly, wasn't really impressed at all by them). I know Campo is good, too, but I don't even think the Vaqueros should even be in D-III. I think they should be a D-II team (where they'd still arguably be a favorite for a state title). El Capitan by 14.

D-IV: St. Margaret's looked pretty sharp against Christian. This may be the best team that Central Catholic has faced, since St. Bonaventure. This is a game about which NorCal really should feel very confident, but the Raiders took some uncharacteristic losses this year. They only took 3rd in league, granted against larger schools. CC is far more battle tested than the Tartans and I think that will help them to a close win. Central Catholic by 10.

An possibly ominous notion about these games is with regards to sportsmanship. I haven't heard many reports on this (other than Folsom running up the score on Grant like they always do), but there were some issues in the SoCal games. In the D-III game, there were 4 or 5 personal fouls... in the first half. Flags were flying all over the place in the D-I game. The NorCal teams are going to need to keep their heads about them and their emotions in check.

For fun I plugged in all teams in the USA Today/Massey Matchups score predictor:

Open:
De La Salle 48 Centennial 35

D1:
Folsom 46 Oceanside 20

D2:
Clayton Valley 43 Redlands EV 28

D3:
Campo 48 El Capitan 14

D4:
Central Cath 40 St. Margarets 14

Open Game: DeLaSalle Spartans 49, Centennial Huskies 28. Sparta defense too tough and Huskie defense too soft.

D1 Game: Folsom Bulldogs 45, Oceanside Pirates 24. O'side will be surprised by Folsom defense and amazed at their offense.

D2 Game: Clayton Valley Ugly Eagles 35, Redlands East Valley Wildcats 20. So Cal winners no match for high powered CV offense. Look for the Eagles to be very ugly after this one.

D3 Game: El Capitan Vaqueros 45, Campolindo Cougars 28. El Cap likely So Cal's one winning team. Should rope in Cougs.

D4 Game: Central Catholic Raiders 35, St. Margaret's Tartans 26. Raiders might as well get ready to move up to D3 next year. CC too battle tested for SM.

Good luck to all 5 Nor Cal Schools!

NCS predictions:

DLS wins 52-27

Clayton wins 37-17

Campo wins 31-28

This post was edited on 12/15 1:51 PM by Paloma

Fingers crossed for Nor Cal sweep!!
OPEN[/B]
DLS 31 CC 14

DI
[/B]FOSLOM 53 OCEANSIDE 20

DII[/B]
CLAYTON VALLEY 24 REDLANDS EV 14

DIII[/B]
CAMPOLINDO 21 EL CAPITAN 20

DIV[/B]
CENTRAL CATHOLLIC 28 ST MARGARETS 10

Good Luck to ALL teams!!

Originally posted by FBAddict:
Open:
DLS vs CC = DLS by 3. Unfortunately, DLS is less tested among stronger teams. And CC has shown an improvement toward the end of the season. CC has been tested by at least 4 highly ranked teams with one of their losses replayed for a victory in playoffs. I only pick DLS because of their history of playoffs and noting that we don't know the DLS top-end performance this year. But this might be a good year to pick a DLS loss.

DI:
FHS vs OS = FHS by 14+.
I'm not ready to drink the Folsom koolaid just quite yet. They are much better than I expected on Oline, Dline and rush this year. But I'm not convinced that Grant was the premiere team being sold the Grant fans. Oceanside (and Helix) would have probably beat Grant this year. That being said, it's just plain hard to argue with 46-0 end of third quarter Folsom/Grant score.

DII:
CVC vs REV = CVC by 3.
This should be a good game that may not be decided until late 4th quarter. From basic appearance, CVC might win by 10-14 points, but the decisive REV win over Ridgeview in the SoCal RBG game gives me pause, even to the point that a REV win would not surprise me.

DIII:
CL vs EC = EC by 21+.
Campolindo has had a nice run, but allowing a lesser team (Sutter) to score 14 points out of the gate is a bad sign when dealing with a buzz saw like El Capitan. EC has a win over the SDS powerhouse Helix and a strong win against Paso Roble in the SoCal RBG game. EC could have competed at a much higher level this year with success. If Campolindo can keep the score close at any part of the game, I will see it as a CL strength.

DIV:
CC vs SM = CC by 7

This should be another good game not decided until 4th quarter. I'm expecting the battle readiness schedule to help CC later in the game.
Wow - I've never been so happy to be wrong about a prediction - I predicted EC to win by 21 or more points. Instead Campo wins by 7 with 28 unanswered points in the 4th quarter. That's amazing.

Oh BTW, where's the koolaid?

I hope that Folsom kool aid taste's good right about now
laugh.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT