ADVERTISEMENT

Texas: Targeted HS Football Player Attacked And Choked By Opponent

How was that kid not kicked off the team....
Freshman football. Can’t wait until he has a few more years of thuggery under his belt! Wondering if any coaches were encouraging targeting prior to this incident? That may be unfair, but given a few kids targeted this player there must have been more going on than the clip shows.

Reactions: awood1
How was that kid not kicked off the team....
Looked into this . The kid's coach said he felt the kid was punished appropriately. Missed the second half of game and had to sit first half of next game.. After watching the coach defend that as appropriate punishment IN MY OPINION the coach needs to be fired. This happened on his side of the field. He should have intervened. This was assault that was not football. I don't care if it was my own kid if I was his coach he would be off the team.

Both kids assumed fully padded. Kick to privates appears like no damage so the kid was wearing a cup. Punching to the face with helmet is just plain dumb by the assaulter. Go ahead and punch me in the helmet some more and see how your hand likes it. Both head coaches should just suspend both kids minimum 1 game. Move on.

Looked into this . The kid's coach said he felt the kid was punished appropriately. Missed the second half of game and had to sit first half of next game.. After watching the coach defend that as appropriate punishment IN MY OPINION the coach needs to be fired. This happened on his side of the field. He should have intervened. This was assault that was not football. I don't care if it was my own kid if I was his coach he would be off the team.

It sounds like the coach ordered the Code Red.

Reactions: Danigyrl
Both kids assumed fully padded. Kick to privates appears like no damage so the kid was wearing a cup. Punching to the face with helmet is just plain dumb by the assaulter. Go ahead and punch me in the helmet some more and see how your hand likes it. Both head coaches should just suspend both kids minimum 1 game. Move on.

Really dumb take.

Exactly why should the kid who was being choked and punched be suspended?

I feel like your looking for a reaction. When do you think the kid that got assaulted should get his suspension? After his three games for his concussion? #76 should be done for this year. And he should know that if anything remotely close to this happens again his high school sports career is over.

If someone shoots a cop with a bullet proof vest on you think the shooter and the cop should get a night in jail and call it a day?

The kid had a concussion from having his head slammed to the ground several times. Did you even watch the video?

You must be trolling. I'll never understand how some posters get off on that.

Reactions: jamzz94549
The kid had a concussion from having his head slammed to the ground several times. Did you even watch the video?

You must be trolling. I'll never understand how some posters get off on that.
Targeted, kicked, slammed, choked and punched... this was assault. And agreed, both the player(s) and coach oe coaches who had any oart of this out to be kicked off the team or fired, at a minimum. Football is a physical game and there are plenty of ways to punish an opponent within the game without being malicious or flagrant. This wasn’t football, it was a physical assault.

I’m anything but an overprotective parent, but if this was my kid on the receiving end I’d be filing a police report pronto.

Ya...really hope you are not in a position to be in charge of or supervise kids in any capacity...

Reactions: aztecpadre

is this your edgy hot take? c'mon that was absolute BS and you know it

coach (verb) def.; to be responsible for managing and training a person or a team

I take offense to people that will point out the mistakes or deficiencies in a team or player without recognizing the significance a coach plays. No group of kids ever decided on their own that singling out an opposing player and assaulting him was a great idea. There were multiple cheap shots on this kid. I HAVE told kids that we wanted to come hard at a particular player, but it was ALWAYS clear that it was to be within the rules and whistle to whistle. I also stress the fact that if you don't like getting beat by another player, YOU need to get better at stopping what they do, within the rules of the game.

Hell, I'll point out to kids that tackling a kid at school will get you suspended or worse. But if you do it in a football game you'll get your name in the paper and carried of the field on your teammates shoulders! But these kids (again there were several) had to be following instructions passed on to them by an adult / coach. In this case, I would direct the HC to identify and remove from his staff the originator of the direction AND/OR take personal responsibility for it and turn in his resignation. As for the players, I would require the HC or the NEW HC to explain the mistake the coaching staff made in providing them direction to do so and that moving forward, similar action would carry immediate consequences including game and season suspensions.

Kids do as they are coached / taught and these kids are being done a disservice by being coached to commit assault outside of the limits of solid football.

Reactions: FormerD1Backer
It sounds like the coach ordered the Code Red.

Lol, they’re issuing code reds out there in Texas freshman ball? It’s like a prison yard out there I guess. Does anyone know what the real reason behind the “targeting” was? I have to say it’s a leap to say the coach had any prior knowledge that it was going to happen unless someone read it somewhere. Growing up kids had beef with another kid on another team and they would hatch out a plan like this all by themselves.

Lol, they’re issuing code reds out there in Texas freshman ball? It’s like a prison yard out there I guess. Does anyone know what the real reason behind the “targeting” was? I have to say it’s a leap to say the coach had any prior knowledge that it was going to happen unless someone read it somewhere. Growing up kids had beef with another kid on another team and they would hatch out a plan like this all by themselves.

Maybe it was hatched out by the kids but the coach did nothing to stop it as it was obviously going on all game.If his reported reaction is accurate he obviously condones such behavior.Yes the coach is culpable in my eyes

Maybe it was hatched out by the kids but the coach did nothing to stop it as it was obviously going on all game.If his reported reaction is accurate he obviously condones such behavior.Yes the coach is culpable in my eyes

I think the coach of the targeted kid didn't address the situation fast enough either. What the next guy does is on them but he should have had a talk with the officials and opposing coach a little earlier to protect his guy. Maybe he did though. I'm going off a clip and partial info so who knows.

Why out of all the kids him though? Usually they're gunning for the game changers. I think it said he was the 3rd string qb. On one hand it doesn't matter and on the other it could explain a lot.

Looks like straight up assault to me. Totally unnecessary and way outside the realm of anything we should witness on a football field.

Someone should be investigating this further, as in the police. That #76 should be gone from high school sports.

1st of all anybody on this thread that said thats no big deal is an idiot.

That was completely over the line and the kid should be booted off the team for the rest of the year.

There were more than 1 kid taking shots at him and quite frankly all 3 kids should be interviewed and their coach should be under scrutiny as well.

***A couple of years ago a Windsor player during a Friday night game vs Cardinal Newman had 3 separate plays similar to that in a game at Windsor. On Saturday morning film....Windsor Coach Kirkpatrick had the kids come in...he showed 1 play (kick in the nuts) only...and IMMEDIATELY kicked the kid out of the meeting and off the team. He called Cronin and apologized profusely and it was referred to the school. The kid was suspended and I think ultimately he was kicked out of school.

3 plays....a REALLY late hit helmet to the back spear...a kick to the nuts on an extra point....a spun around 360 degree facemask tackle (picked the back off the ground on the spin like you would twirl you kids). Same kid on all 3 COMPLETELY out of control.

Windsor HS and their coaching staff showed how you handle that situation

Last edited:
If it was just a targeting hit I'd be okay with the game suspensions, but the choking and slamming the player's head to the ground should be an automatic kicked off the team. And if the player says the coaches told him to target the QBs, the coaches should be fired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT