ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Leagues

MOlST AND PLUMP

Superstar
Sep 4, 2024
here are the top 5 leagues in nor cal currently

1 tri river (central section - but champ always plays in nor cal play off)
2 west catholic
3 sierra foothill
4 east bay mountain
5 redwood empire upper division

honorable mention

6 tri city (sac joaquin)
7 diablo athletic upper division
8 valley oak

thoughts?

2 west catholic
3 sierra foothill
4 east bay mountain

honorable mention

6 tri city (sac joaquin)
8 valley oak

thoughts?
Calpreps ratings doesn't agree... Additionally, there has been a fundamental shift for Sierra Foothill by adding two more schools to its league this year. More schools in a league will typically bring down the average strength for leagues - especially top leagues.

Calpreps ratings 2024 YTD
1. Tri River - 6 teams
2. East Bay - Mountain - 5 teams
3. West Catholic - 8 teams
4. Sierra Foothill - 8 teams
5. Redwood Empire - Adobe - 6 teams

By contrast, SS section's Trinity is significantly stronger with 6 teams. In fact, Trinity is the strongest league, by far, in the nation right now as rated by Calprpes. Tri-River shows up as # 19 in the nation.

Calpreps ratings doesn't agree... Additionally, there has been a fundamental shift for Sierra Foothill by adding two more schools to its league this year. More schools in a league will typically bring down the average strength for leagues - especially top leagues.

Calpreps ratings 2024 YTD
1. Tri River - 6 teams
2. East Bay - Mountain - 5 teams
3. West Catholic - 8 teams
4. Sierra Foothill - 8 teams
5. Redwood Empire - Adobe - 6 teams

By contrast, SS section's Trinity is significantly stronger with 6 teams. In fact, Trinity is the strongest league, by far, in the nation right now as rated by Calprpes. Tri-River shows up as # 19 in the nation.
trinity league has nothing to do with this discussion this is about the top leagues in nor cal.

to your main point though. even if you were to conveniently leave out davis and whitney to try and make sierra foothill look better, for this specific season tri river is still better. if they were to have a league vs league matchup look how it would go

folsom vs clovis east yes folsom wins but game is likely close

clovis north vs rockin clovis north wins

granite bay vs clovis is 50/50 toss up

central vs oak ridge central wins RUNNING CLOCK

buchanan vs jesuit buchanan wins RUNNING CLOCK

clovis west vs del oro clovis west wins RUNNING CLOCK

so even in that scenario it’s either 5-1 or 4-2 in favor of tri river with three of there wins in the running clock variety.

again this is only for this year almost any other year the story would be different including next year when sierra foothill bounces back from this down year

trinity league has nothing to do with this discussion this is about the top leagues in nor cal.
It is relevant in the sense that it adds perspective to the total landscape of leagues across the nation and California. It shows:
1. How far NorCal's best is below the best in CA and the nation's best.
2. The league team that the NorCal's best will match up with the best league team from SoCal in the eventual and inevitable SBG-Open game.

We really need to add this discussion because you included Tri-River in the mix that will likely only happen in RGB and SBG games.

It is relevant in the sense that it adds perspective to the total landscape of leagues across the nation and California. It shows:
1. How far NorCal's best is below the best in CA and the nation's best.
2. The league team that the NorCal's best will match up with the best league team from SoCal in the eventual and inevitable SBG-Open game.

We really need to add this discussion because you included Tri-River in the mix that will likely only happen in RGB and SBG games.
tri river is in the discussion because it is ostensibly a nor cal league. that is an apple to apple comparison.

You might want to reconsider the inclusion of Tri-River in the NorCal discussion.in that case.

A quick review shows that the majority of RBG games for the top position in the CS section did not come from the Tri-River league. And out of the 11 years we have had the RBG games, the CS section won only 1 years for the RBG top position, 2 wins if you count 1A division in the mix..

The CS top team has gone to SoCal three times. One of those years (2022) the CS team won SBG against an NorCal opponent, again in the lower 1A division.

Only two teams have represented the Tri-River league in NorCal RBG top division - Central-Fresno and Clovis North.

Last edited:
Reactions: aztecpadre
You might want to reconsider the inclusion of Tri-River in the NorCal discussion.in that case.

A quick review shows that the majority of RBG games for the top position in the CS section did not came from the Tri-River league. And out of the 11 years we have had the RBG games, the CS section won only 1 years for the RBG top position, 2 wins if you count 1A division in the mix..

The CS top team has gone to SoCal three times. One of those years (2022) the CS team won SBG against an NorCal opponent, again in the lower 1A division.

Only two teams have represented the Tri-River league in NorCal RBG top division - Central-Fresno and Clovis North.
your not quite interpreting things correctly. the way it goes is that when a team from tri river league qualifies for regionals they play in norcal. if bakers field team wins its 5050 which regional they play in. this year the central section champ will come from tri river league because bakers field is way down. their four the tri river champ will be in nor cal. their four tri river is ostensibly a de fact o nor cal league this year.

your not quite interpreting things correctly. the way it goes is that when a team from tri river league qualifies for regionals they play in norcal. if bakers field team wins its 5050 which regional they play in. this year the central section champ will come from tri river league because bakers field is way down. their four the tri river champ will be in nor cal. their four tri river is ostensibly a de fact o nor cal league this year.
I guess I wasn't clear enough - Tri-River teams have gone to SoCal too over the history of the RBG games - namely Clovis North.

Reactions: aztecpadre

2 west catholic
3 sierra foothill
4 east bay mountain

honorable mention

6 tri city (sac joaquin)
8 valley oak

thoughts?
Excluding the central section i like:

WCAL
SFL
East Bay Mountain
TCAL
VOL

HM:
Redwood empire upper division
Diablo athletic upper division

Excluding the central section i like:

WCAL
SFL
East Bay Mountain
TCAL
VOL

HM:
Redwood empire upper division
Diablo athletic upper division
the valley oak league got gutted this year and is mediocre now due to the re align mint that’s why it’s only honorable mention

Last edited:
Reactions: kendawg21
How did the VOL get gutted? Still have Central Catholic, Manteca, Oakdale and added Patterson. The league is down this year yes, but I don't think they got gutted in realignment.
for me, in my imo tracy and kimball as a combo are MUCH better than patterson (on a good run right now but traditionally aren't that strong) and mountain house (has yet to put anything together). central and manteca carry the league on the top end for sure, but the bottom half of the league just isn't strong enough to make the vol a top caliber league right now. having kimball and tracy as the bottom middle tier of the league makes for a good league. the "other" manteca schools and mountain house not so much.

for me when i'm judging the strength of the league i really consider the 4th, 5th, 6th best teams in the league just not the top two. it's the same reason a league like the bay valley (ncs) league isn't on my list, the bottom of the league is too bad.

would have been much better to keep tracy or kimball in the league, add patterson, and get rid of one of the manteca schools. and keep out mountain house. that would have made for a stronger football league, though admittedly i did not take travel into consideration in this assessment.

just my two sense.

for me, in my imo tracy and kimball as a combo are MUCH better than patterson (on a good run right now but traditionally aren't that strong) and mountain house (has yet to put anything together). central and manteca carry the league on the top end for sure, but the bottom half of the league just isn't strong enough to make the vol a top caliber league right now. having kimball and tracy as the bottom middle tier of the league makes for a good league. the "other" manteca schools and mountain house not so much.

for me when i'm judging the strength of the league i really consider the 4th, 5th, 6th best teams in the league just not the top two. it's the same reason a league like the bay valley (ncs) league isn't on my list, the bottom of the league is too bad.

would have been much better to keep tracy or kimball in the league, add patterson, and get rid of one of the manteca schools. and keep out mountain house. that would have made for a stronger football league, though admittedly i did not take travel into consideration in this assessment.

just my two sense.
Tracy hasn't been in the VOL in at least 20 years. Don't know about before that, but they have been in the TCAL for awhile

the valley oak league got gutted this year and is mediocre now due to the re align mint that’s why it’s only honorable mention
Central Catholic, Manteca, Oakdale and Patterson will be very hard outs in 4 different divisions though. Not many leagues have that type of depth

just my two sense.
I get what you are saying. Too to bottom, the vol will have all but 2 teams make the playoffs., sierra and mountain house. That, for the most part, makes for a good league. And because of the success historically of the top teams puts vol up there for me. But I do agree with your take

How many leagues have teams in D1,D2,D3 and D4? The only one I know of VOL. To say they aren't relevant?
And gutted? Sorry that is an ignorant statement. They lost Kimball, and replaced with Patterson? And that's gutted?

How many leagues have teams in D1,D2,D3 and D4? The only one I know of VOL. To say they aren't relevant?
And gutted? Sorry that is an ignorant statement. They lost Kimball, and replaced with Patterson? And that's gutted?
the last time kimball played against patterson kimball put up 60. and kimball has literally never lost to patterson.

and your ignoring the fact that mountain house got added to the league and they are going to be an anchor on the league, as they have yet to find any stability or success as a program and don't look like they will any time soon.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT