ADVERTISEMENT

Top high school players?

Onball , obviously u haven't followed girls basketball. Green did not play for SMS. Also, SMS has had more d-1 players than any school in California in the last 15 years and most of them started as frosh . Ask any college coach and they would take a SMS player if they can get them . When you have the best press-in the country and one of the most successful programs in the country , maybe you should do you're homework.

I'm sure I've watched more girls basketball in the last 15-20 years than you have.. in fact I'm positive. I know (and frequently talk to) a lot more college coaches, as well as high school coaches, than you do and I am not alone in my sediments about the game. Did I say every kid that comes out of SMS is unprepared for college?? No. It was one simple example to a bigger problem. I get that they get athletes, and they turn out many great players consistently. No one is arguing that.. I guess your name says it all, you are passionate for your team, but you also have to be a tad realistic and realize that half court man principles are not taught there. Doesn't mean they can't win (often) or get their kids to the next level, because they do both.

None of my last post was about SMS specifically, with exception to one sentence, so there's no need to defend them as it wasn't an attack on them. When I post an attack on SMS and things I don't care for, you'll know.. then you can come to their defense but this is not that time man... send Tom my regards..:cool:

Tom told me they played a total of 6 minutes man all last season. So onball you must of hated all 6 minutes that you had to watch. He feels his style of play attracts good player because they enjoy playing fast and it allows more players to get minutes. So it obviously works for them. I'm sure if they decided to play man they would be very good at it. But personally I think that style of play is so much fun to watch. Whether it's pressing or shooting threes , players love it.

Tom told me they played a total of 6 minutes man all last season. So onball you must of hated all 6 minutes that you had to watch.
Short answer: Yes.

He feels his style of play attracts good player because they enjoy playing fast and it allows more players to get minutes. So it obviously works for them.
Once again, no argument there from me. But does it fully prepare those kids for the next level? That was my point.

I'm sure if they decided to play man they would be very good at it.
Not saying they couldn't be good.. but I will say, based on my observations, the coaches that know how to coach man-to-man teach it to their kids.. Which would translate, even if it were 6 minutes. My guess is the staff sticks to what they are good at (very good at that) and don't spend time on things they arent as versed in.

Back to topic at hand. From Santa Cruz side of the hill we have a few standouts.
1. MacKenzie Duran - Soquel
2. Hannah Hocom - Aptos/EBX.
3. Gabby Giuffre - Aptos/West Valley
4. Natalia Ackerman - Aptos
5. Janiya Sevilla -St Francis/West Valley

What year is Gabby Giuffre??

There was a young lady I saw play as an 8th grader (at least she was playing in the 8th grade division) a year or 2 ago that was from that side of the hill.. Can't remember her name for the life of me but I thought she had major potential for those public schools. She was a strong guard for her age.

Last edited:
Gabby and Natalia are both 2020 and Hannah 2019. Aptos should be even better next season already with a CCS Champ under their belt.

After a quick maxpreps search I think that Gabby is exactly the kid I watched a few years ago. I actually thought she was going to end up on this side of the hill at a private school. I liked her game, maybe I'll have to check out how its progressed since

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT