ADVERTISEMENT

Top NorCal teams

Not at all! I think she's gonna do well. If anything, the blame of lack of development belongs to the former coach. A lot of those kids haven't improved in years.
the former coach records speaks for itself. he had to be doing something right. coaching the best players on the court isnt easy. especially when you are expected to win

the former coach records speaks for itself. he had to be doing something right. coaching the best players on the court isnt easy. especially when you are expected to win

A record doesn't truly tell the overall tale of the tape. You yourself has talked a lot of trash about Steve Kerr not being a good coach, yet look at his record and what he's done since taking over. Again, I was just making the observation that SMC is loaded with athleticism and that alone can beat teams.

Reactions: observer22
A record doesn't truly tell the overall tale of the tape. You yourself has talked a lot of trash about Steve Kerr not being a good coach, yet look at his record and what he's done since taking over. Again, I was just making the observation that SMC is loaded with athleticism and that alone can beat teams.
but wait a minute. kerr had the best collection of athletes for 5 years and yall still lauded him as a mastermind, creator of this new thing called extra pass and shoot more than opponent and the dub nation was going 112-0. he didnt lose any coach hype even when he had far superior talent. he was the reason they were winning because mark j couldnt do it. so what is it? athletes need coaching or dont? surely kerr has proven he isnt anything special when he doesnt have the best athletes. or is draymond still top 4 in the league?

but wait a minute. kerr had the best collection of athletes for 5 years and yall still lauded him as a mastermind, creator of this new thing called extra pass and shoot more than opponent and the dub nation was going 112-0. he didnt lose any coach hype even when he had far superior talent. he was the reason they were winning because mark j couldnt do it. so what is it? athletes need coaching or dont? surely kerr has proven he isnt anything special when he doesnt have the best athletes. or is draymond still top 4 in the league?

Yes, players need coaching. But when you're bigger, faster, stronger in places like high school..don't matter who's coaching, you still gonna win.

Reactions: observer22
I am curious to see how SRV looks this year. No seniors, a talented junior class, unproven sophomores (Walpole has moved out of state). And after four years of relying heavily on Gerhart at point it's unclear how well they will handle the ball. Nebres and others will have to really step up.
SRV Girls are heading down to scrimmage Pinewood tonight and, for a sneak peak, you can catch it on NFHS.

Reactions: GBBall4L
Yes, players need coaching. But when you're bigger, faster, stronger in places like high school..don't matter who's coaching, you still gonna win.
luke walton showed it doesnt matter in the nba either. considering what he is up to now

Not at all! I think she's gonna do well. If anything, the blame of lack of development belongs to the former coach. A lot of those kids haven't improved in years.
I find that interesting since there is only one Sr and 3 Jr on the team that played for him. The rest of the major players are 2 sophs and a Freshman. Funny I saw improvement last year in the 3 present JRs from their Freshman year. The only one that did not improve much is the player that transferred out. I believe I saw more of their games than you to give an assessment on.

That said I have always liked the present coach as a player at both St Marys and Sac St. She has a large variety of coaching experience to bring to the table. That along with her innate fire should add new life to the program. However, there is no need to take parting shots at the old coach.

I find that interesting since there is only one Sr and 3 Jr on the team that played for him. The rest of the major players are 2 sophs and a Freshman. Funny I saw improvement last year in the 3 present JRs from their Freshman year. The only one that did not improve much is the player that transferred out. I believe I saw more of their games than you to give an assessment on.

That said I have always liked the present coach as a player at both St Marys and Sac St. She has a large variety of coaching experience to bring to the table. That along with her innate fire should add new life to the program. However, there is no need to take parting shots at the old coach.
he seems to have upset several people on this site. winning does that. lots of mad girldads in the building.

Are you serious? This is so disrespectful. Those kids played very well. They went to the "powerhouse of Mitty,” and walked out with a solid win. Let me remind you that Mitty has 5-7 seniors that are going "D1!"

Saint Mary's has only one 1 senior and she is 8th in the rotation. They are led by a sophomore point guard. They start 2 juniors, 2 sophomores and a freshman. And you say they have not developed. WOW! I think they did an incredible job, did the unthinkable...walked into the "#1" team in NorCal and #2 in the State's house and took the game from them. Beat them by 10!

How can you say these kids have not improved? They just beat a USA coach with 5-7 Seniors that are going D1. Come on, Stop Hating. Give those young ladies an appropriate congratulations for their win and do the same for coach! By the way, why run sets if you do not have to? If you can win by 10 without them then why use them.

Hats off to Coach Moreno, her staff, and her team for a job well done!

Are you serious? This is so disrespectful. Those kids played very well. They went to the "powerhouse of Mitty,” and walked out with a solid win. Let me remind you that Mitty has 5-7 seniors that are going "D1!"

Saint Mary's has only one 1 senior and she is 8th in the rotation. They are led by a sophomore point guard. They start 2 juniors, 2 sophomores and a freshman. And you say they have not developed. WOW! I think they did an incredible job, did the unthinkable...walked into the "#1" team in NorCal and #2 in the State's house and took the game from them. Beat them by 10!

How can you say these kids have not improved? They just beat a USA coach with 5-7 Seniors that are going D1. Come on, Stop Hating. Give those young ladies an appropriate congratulations for their win and do the same for coach! By the way, why run sets if you do not have to? If you can win by 10 without them then why use them.

Hats off to Coach Moreno, her staff, and her team for a job well done!
he was not downplaying the win. he was saying the previous coach should get zero credit for developing talent over the years. they all walked in as freshman the best of the best. although coaching them to be tougher than the opponent should qualify as coaching too.

he was not downplaying the win. he was saying the previous coach should get zero credit for developing talent over the years. they all walked in as freshman the best of the best. although coaching them to be tougher than the opponent should qualify as coaching too.

I agree that he was giving the new coach props. The previous coach wasn't impressive to me because I always felt he just had some of the best talent in Norcal. Of course you still have to coach them to victories and he did that so props to him. But when it comes to coaching, let's be honest, Mitty has some solid players but in terms of overall athleticism and pure basketball players St Mary's has better personal. I think the Mitty coaching staff is often overlooked on how they develop their players because no one in that building or who has watched the streamed would honestly say Mitty had better athletes or better "pure" basketball players than St Mary's. Mitty takes plenty of players NO ONE has heard of makes them relevant. Mitty has no Fresh Faces, Gems in the Gems, Passthaball this that and the other lauded players out there and are still power houses every year. The majority of those D1 players weren't on anyone's radar until Mitty got their hands on them. Although the stats say St Marys win was 10 pts, that last 3 came with 3 seconds left so I say St Mary's by 7. I'm sure Mitty will remember that last second 3 pointer for years to come but hats off to both teams and St Mary's on a solid victory.

Last edited:
I agree that he was giving the new coach props. The previous coach wasn't impressive to me because I always felt he just had some of the best talent in Norcal. Of course you still have to coach them to victories and he did that so props to him. But when it comes to coaching, let's be honest, Mitty has some solid players but in terms of overall athleticism and pure basketball players St Mary's has better personal. I think the Mitty coaching staff is often overlooked on how they develop their players because no one in that building or who has watched the streamed would honestly say Mitty had better athletes or better "pure" basketball players than St Mary's. Mitty takes plenty of players NO ONE has heard of makes them relevant. Mitty has no Fresh Faces, Gems in the Gems, Passthaball this that and the other lauded players out there and are still power houses every year. The majority of those D1 players weren't on anyone's radar until Mitty got their hands on them. Although the stats say St Marys win was 10 pts, that last 3 came with 3 seconds left so I say St Mary's by 7. I'm sure Mitty will remember that last second 3 pointer for years to come but hats off to both teams and St Mary's on a solid victory.
Fair, but I hate to see a coach criticized when numbers don't lie. He had to be doing something right. My teams were far superior athletically as well but damn our coach coached his ass off. Our practices were brutal. Tom wasn't challenged too often so he didn't have to be some mad scientist.

SRV Girls are heading down to scrimmage Pinewood tonight and, for a sneak peak, you can catch it on NFHS.
Watched thanks for the tip.

SRV has several girls who can shoot the lights out. A team that plays a zone against them is in for a long night. But Pinewood plays an aggressive man-to-man, and SRV had problems getting good looks. SRV also didn't have the size/strength to deal with Pinewood (and Pinewood isn't a big team beyond it's starting center).

I am amazed at how fast and in shape Pinewood is. They fly down the court on the break, and don't seem to take even a moment off on the defensive end. If they hit their threes at an even average rate, they are going to be very hard to beat. Oh, and they were missing their new xfer, Elle Ladine who I hear is quite good.

Fair, but I hate to see a coach criticized when numbers don't lie. He had to be doing something right. My teams were far superior athletically as well but damn our coach coached his ass off. Our practices were brutal. Tom wasn't challenged too often so he didn't have to be some mad scientist.
I agree. You have to give the captain of the ship credit whether you liked him personally or not. They were a powerhouse and he built

Now you have turned this into a oh let us feel sorry for Mitty discussion. Are you serious...? Come on. Just Say congrats to the new coach and the team that is loaded with underclassemen who walked into Mitty, the school that is ranked #1 in NorCal and #2 in the State in most pre-season polls and won by double digits. Stop crying about the three-pointer at the end of the game. Mitty lost by 10. When the three-pointer went through the hoop there was still time on the clock.

And by the way, why did Coach tell the Mercury news her team has not played in 407 days when she has not stopped playing since Covid started. (https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/04...-days-fades-late-in-loss-to-st-marys-stockton) She has been in SoCal, NoCal, and Idaho with her Mitty team playing under the name of the Cagers for the past year while every other high school team has set idle. Give me a break. Just be honest with yourself. They lost to a team with a new coach and a bunch of underclassmen, and they are definitely not #1 in NorCal or #2 in the State right now! Acknowledge the loss and move on.

Now you have turned this into a oh let us feel sorry for Mitty discussion. Are you serious...? Come on. Just Say congrats to the new coach and the team that is loaded with underclassemen who walked into Mitty, the school that is ranked #1 in NorCal and #2 in the State in most pre-season polls and won by double digits. Stop crying about the three-pointer at the end of the game. Mitty lost by 10. When the three-pointer went through the hoop there was still time on the clock.

And by the way, why did Coach tell the Mercury news her team has not played in 407 days when she has not stopped playing since Covid started. (https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/04...-days-fades-late-in-loss-to-st-marys-stockton) She has been in SoCal, NoCal, and Idaho with her Mitty team playing under the name of the Cagers for the past year while every other high school team has set idle. Give me a break. Just be honest with yourself. They lost to a team with a new coach and a bunch of underclassmen, and they are definitely not #1 in NorCal or #2 in the State right now! Acknowledge the loss and move on.
actually she said, "we haven't played a high school game in 14 months" which would be accurate.

I've been ecstatic about St Mary's hiring Coach Moreno. I've been excited for the players I've watched come up from different programs such as Port City go to St Marys and do great. When did I not give her props? I'm fired up that St Marys will continue to be a dominant force in Norcal girls basketball. I am just putting the information out there. And from what I read she said 407 days since playing a high school game not a club game. There were 2 seconds left on the clock when the 3 were Made. Mitty or most other schools wouldn't have allowed someone to take that shot I'm sure but call it how you see it. Go back in this thread history and specifically tell me when the loss wasn't acknowledged. I have no dog in this fight I am just pointing out things. How about you acknowledging that you took my comments out of context without understanding everything in its entirety. Why does saying give them credit for developing players strike such a nerve with you?

Last edited:
Watched thanks for the tip.

SRV has several girls who can shoot the lights out. A team that plays a zone against them is in for a long night. But Pinewood plays an aggressive man-to-man, and SRV had problems getting good looks. SRV also didn't have the size/strength to deal with Pinewood (and Pinewood isn't a big team beyond it's starting center).

I am amazed at how fast and in shape Pinewood is. They fly down the court on the break, and don't seem to take even a moment off on the defensive end. If they hit their threes at an even average rate, they are going to be very hard to beat. Oh, and they were missing their new xfer, Elle Ladine who I hear is quite good.
"Quite good" is an understatement. She was offered by Santa Clara when she was a frosh at Lowell.

To be blunt: The Mitty girls program is 24/7 whether it's at the school or within the AAU umbrella. That 407-day remark was most unfortunate and rather misleading.

Reactions: Coach_Case
To be blunt: The Mitty girls program is 24/7 whether it's at the school or within the AAU umbrella. That 407-day remark was most unfortunate and rather misleading.
It might not be totally truthful, but the Cagers weren't one of those teams that played a lot over the last year. We are seeing in boys and girls basketball how important the year round structure is for the top teams.

St. Marys is a different team now, because the tone from leadership is different. They now play hard because they want to play hard. They no longer have a fear of guilt or have to worry about disappointing the coach.
Fear of failure creates anxiety and anxiety makes you overthink. It's why some players choke in the big moments, versus rising up and coming through in the clutch, which is exactly what the Lady Rams did vs MItty.

St. Marys is a different team now, because the tone from leadership is different. They now play hard because they want to play hard. They no longer have a fear of guilt or have to worry about disappointing the coach.
Fear of failure creates anxiety and anxiety makes you overthink. It's why some players choke in the big moments, versus rising up and coming through in the clutch, which is exactly what the Lady Rams did vs MItty.
its also why they all transfer when they get to college. this generation.....

Reactions: Norcal_Fan
It might not be totally truthful, but the Cagers weren't one of those teams that played a lot over the last year. We are seeing in boys and girls basketball how important the year round structure is for the top teams.
Cagers barely played last year. They definitely were not like Cal Stars and West Coast Elite that played as normal. Cagers played in 2 tournaments last year, maybe 3 tops. But all in all, as I said before, it was a great game and I'm excited that St Marys has a coach with upside and will remain a powerhouse. Coach Moreno helped put SJSU women's BBall on the map as the associate head coach for the Spartans. She gets all the props she has earned and I've been a huge proponent of hers on this message board. St Marys will be a force in the near future. It's gonna be fun to watch all these great girls basketball teams. Mitty loses a lot of seniors but just like in the past I'm sure everyone will count them out but I've learned my lesson so I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the basketball that we are fortunate enough to receive.

I believe the article I saw, she stated they only started practicing a week ago. Which is comical. We all know better.

Take the loss gracefully and move on. They will undoubtedly move on from this and blast the rest of the wcal. Good luck to the rest of the teams they're playing. I'm sure coach Philips will have them on edge all year long. Probably a good thing they lost early in the year.

Kudos to Coach Moreno. She truly didn't have much time to practice with her new team and was still able to figure out the vaunted Mitty press and pull out a win. Way to shake things up in Norcal!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT