ADVERTISEMENT

Tournament of Champions (TOC) Documentary

Get ready to watch a Mack highlight show. The Warriors were simply overwhelming for years and years. There is nothing like that program today. It churned out big time players like clockwork, blowing out NorCal foes with routine dispatch. One telling factoid: Bill Russell (who later won NCAA, NBA and Olympic Games championships in one 18-month period) did not start for Mack until his senior year _ and he graduated in January so he played only half of that campaign. Unreal.

I'm gonna be all over this tonight... I just barely missed the TOC era... I started up with my hoops addiction during the last year (I think), 1981.

Get ready to watch a Mack highlight show. The Warriors were simply overwhelming for years and years. There is nothing like that program today. It churned out big time players like clockwork, blowing out NorCal foes with routine dispatch. One telling factoid: Bill Russell (who later won NCAA, NBA and Olympic Games championships in one 18-month period) did not start for Mack until his senior year _ and he graduated in January so he played only half of that campaign. Unreal.
Castlemont had some great teams led by Coach “S”.

Reactions: remc
Great documentary... Got me to thinking about when I started watching live high-school hoops other than my alma mater, now known as Berean Christian... I graduated 1974 after having watched my Eagles dominate the little schools they used to play back then... We only lost two games in league during the time I was there, going undefeated my junior and senior years (mercifully for my team, I was not on it. I don't think they needed my two-hand set-shot airballs). They continued their onslaught in '75, going undefeated thru league until they ran into some top-seeded powerhouse in the first round of CCS. Anywayyyyyyyyy.... Back to what I was looking for...

So, I found this... https://www.bayareasportsstars.com/Counties/TOCHistory.pdf

While the documentary was great and all, The above document has extremely thorough details, that if included in the documentary, it would have made the nearly 3-hour "Hoop Dreams" look like a cartoon short subject.

In there, I found my answer... The 1979 TOC was the first non-Eagles game I saw... Went on Finals day and watched Fremont (Oakland) beat Castlemont. Oakland publics were the cream of the crop around here in those days... Also, Roseville beat Anderson in the small-schools game.

Great reading. Berkeley’s double OT 96-92 win over Dublin in 1972 was a classic. And that was long before the 3-point line. Dublin had the Roberson twins, Larry & Lester, who could get after it. They had at least 6 Roberson brothers (3 sets of twins) in that family. Does anyone know if BOD’s Marsalis Roberson is related to them?

I didn't know Sacred Heart was so close to winning the TOC a few times. When San Joaquin Memorial won in 1972, the Irish beat them in pre-season, when winning the CCS title was as far as they could go.

I didn't know Sacred Heart was so close to winning the TOC a few times. When San Joaquin Memorial won in 1972, the Irish beat them in pre-season, when winning the CCS title was as far as they could go.

So close to winning the TOC a few times? I watched the video twice, read the pdf document and went to a lot of those games back then, and I don’t remember Sacred Heart ever almost winning it? I know Jerry Phillips had some good teams back then. What years were they even in it, and which of those did they almost win it?

Last edited:
So close to winning the TOC a few times? I watched the video twice, read the pdf document and went to a lot of those games back then, and I don’t remember Sacred Heart ever almost winning it? I know Jerry Phillips had some good teams back then. What years were they even in it, and which of those did they almost win it?

In 1962, Sacred Heart (21-5) only lost by 6 points to McClymonds in the title game.

In 1963, Sacred Heart (19-6) lost 49-47 to McClymonds in the championship bracket. I'd say that's fairly close. They won third place 68-45 over Hayward.

In 1964, Sacred Heart (23-3) lost to Ells 57-56. in the title game.

In 1969, Sacred Heart (21-5) lost to Castlemont 80-75 in the championship bracket but won third place with a 65-46 win over Montgomery.

So even though I wasn't paying attention to prep sports much during those years, I'd say they had a good shot at winning the TOC considering how close those games were. I didn't see the video, just the PDF.

In 1972, the Irish beat San Joaquin Memorial 74-61 in pre-season. Cliff Pondexter and crew won the TOC that year while Sacred Heart won the CCS championship. There was no advancement after that. SJM was 27-2.

Last edited:
They couldn't fit everything (ie SH). Well done documentary, but most of the guys they interviewed from City were S.I. guys (which considering their prowess in 50s and early 60s, was justified). Yes, SH was close a few times. I do remember that 72 season where CCS title winner SH beat San Joaquin Memorial (may have been SJs only loss that year). After 1970, not sure of any CCS teams able to participate in TOC. Shame, there were some good teams from SH, Riordan and SI in the 70s (and a quality St Francis team in 78 with Norman).

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
After 1970, not sure of any CCS teams able to participate in TOC. Shame, there were some good teams from SH, Riordan and SI in the 70s (and a quality St Francis team in 78 with Norman).

From 1976 to 1980 when it ended, there were 9 CCS teams that played in the TOC, including 3 teams in 1976 (Cupertino, Del Mar & SI). Norman made the All-tourney team in 1979.

https://bayareasportsstars.com/Counties/TOCHistory.pdf

In many important ways, the CCS tourney was a solid replacement for the old Peninsula Basketball Tournament (played at Stanford) which was formed in 1959 as an alternative to the TOC. The 1962 PBT title game between St. Elizabeth's (CAL) and Ravenswood (SPAL) went five overtimes. Ravenswood's Nate Branch (Nebraska, Harlem Globetrotters) sank a corner jumper to win that epic contest. Both SE and Ravenswood have been closed. Former Oakland Tribune writer Dave Newhouse has written a book about that game.

Last edited:
Reactions: CityVibesII
St. Francis lost to Castlemont in the 1979 championship game. St. Francis was led by Pat Rodgers and Mike Norman. St. Francis beat Washington San Francisco in the first round, blew out Crenshaw in the semifinals, but couldn’t handle the defensive pressure that Castlemont brought in the final losing 71 to 53. St. Francis was very good, but Castlemont, led by diminutive guard Lewis Woolridge pulled away in the second half. They were not a heralded team, but won their three games by 40, 17 and 19 points. One of the most dominate three games in TOC/Nor Cal Regional history that I witnessed under the three games in three days format.

Reactions: CityVibesII
I again want to recommend watching the video. Most people have a little extra time these days, and it’s only an hour and a half. A great history of NorCal hoops.

Reactions: hoop review
I remember going to the 1980 TOC to watch Riordan/Lincoln-Stockton in the 1st round. Riordan lost - that was the team with Brett Crawford, Frank Avalos, Alex Lopez, Phil Kess et al. What stands out in my memory is the BART ride back to the City - it was like a rally/dance with all of the City kids and the boom boxes playing on the train. Good times!

Last edited:
Castlemont had some great teams led by Coach “S”.
St Joseph's of Alameda under Coach Mike Phelps had some good teams at the TOC, as did Salesian under Russ Critchfield. The old Catholic Athletic League represented itself pretty well. Bishop O'Dowd was a regular also

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT