ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2017: Sports Stars Magazine write up of Serra's State Bowl Win

Irish lower levels haven't had it easy this season. JV's had enough injuries to not continue the season and the Frosh missed their two practice games due to the heat for one game and theft of the opposing team's equipment for the second. Remaining JV 's were brought up to the Varsity, so at least they'll have 43 players on their roster.
So for the other teams they were supposed to play get forfeit wins? Or....

Get used to this trend. This will snowball pretty much everywhere. Parents dont want their sons getting CTE. Its time for schools to invest in more lacrosse equipment.

Get used to this trend. This will snowball pretty much everywhere. Parents dont want their sons getting CTE. Its time for schools to invest in more lacrosse equipment.

You could very well be right geary in regards to young parents these days and their fears and concerns. Whether those fears have been stoked by hysteria and a movie or actual medical facts remains to be seen. The study of CTE is still in its infancy and medical researchers know some of the answers, but not enough to make exact determinations or all the possible causes.
The fact that CTE may also be caused by drugs or alcohol is not highly publisized, but that is one of the many questions that remains to be answered. We all know both drugs & alcohol can cause brain damage especially in those genetically predisposed, but no one has yet been successful at ridding society of either. I am now in the "older generation" and know of no one I ever played with having a medical issue. My father an all-city RB in SF at a time when leather helmets and no face guards is 90 and still mentally alert so I remain slightly unconvinced of the CTE danger as it is being publisized.

What a great AD move....I wouldn't call it Honorable or in the Mission Statement of the WCAL ( kind of reminds me of taking a break from conf. for a few years.

I have the give complaints to "sneaky dawg award" But will it bring them the "Kings of Kezar"?

CTS at SHC: Fake News

You could very well be right geary in regards to young parents these days and their fears and concerns. Whether those fears have been stoked by hysteria and a movie or actual medical facts remains to be seen. The study of CTE is still in its infancy and medical researchers know some of the answers, but not enough to make exact determinations or all the possible causes.
The fact that CTE may also be caused by drugs or alcohol is not highly publisized, but that is one of the many questions that remains to be answered. We all know both drugs & alcohol can cause brain damage especially in those genetically predisposed, but no one has yet been successful at ridding society of either. I am now in the "older generation" and know of no one I ever played with having a medical issue. My father an all-city RB in SF at a time when leather helmets and no face guards is 90 and still mentally alert so I remain slightly unconvinced of the CTE danger as it is being publisized.
Gamebreaker-Pro-Helmets-Cutout-copy_0007_FRONT-ROYAL-1169.jpg

It appears almost all head injuries are the result of helmet to helmet hits. Why not adopt the soft helmets used in passing and flag football leagues and encourage rugby style tackling? Kind of goes back to the leather helmet days as Rmbr26 mentioned. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Women's soccer has a higher concussion rate than football and with the rule changes etc the football rate will inevitably go down. High school soccer and lacrosse both have concussion rates fairly close to football.

Last edited:
The helmet change I think must be taken seriously. Not back to leather but to the picture Jordan24 showed above. Remove the face mask. The helmet's primary purpose is to protect the player's head. Unfortunately there is a % of players that use the helmet as a weapon. That is not a coaching error. That is a personal choice by the player.

The mounting injuries I'm seeing across all levels I'm not sure there's a clear cut answer. I don't recall the sheer number of injuries like this to the players in the 80's and 90's. A few things I do notice which may be a culprit are players now do not seem to wear all their padding. No knee pads, no side hip pads, no thigh pads, and those shoulder pads look like a thin piece of plastic. The major impact is being absorbed by players bodies instead of the equipment that was made to protect them. Perhaps thats why the injuries are happening more often. There is the other fact that the players now are bigger, faster, stronger and thus the impact of the hits are bigger, faster, and stronger. Its going to be sad to see this game go away because unfortunately it has become too dangerous.

The helmet change I think must be taken seriously. Not back to leather but to the picture Jordan24 showed above. Remove the face mask. The helmet's primary purpose is to protect the player's head. Unfortunately there is a % of players that use the helmet as a weapon. That is not a coaching error. That is a personal choice by the player.

The mounting injuries I'm seeing across all levels I'm not sure there's a clear cut answer. I don't recall the sheer number of injuries like this to the players in the 80's and 90's. A few things I do notice which may be a culprit are players now do not seem to wear all their padding. No knee pads, no side hip pads, no thigh pads, and those shoulder pads look like a thin piece of plastic. The major impact is being absorbed by players bodies instead of the equipment that was made to protect them. Perhaps thats why the injuries are happening more often. There is the other fact that the players now are bigger, faster, stronger and thus the impact of the hits are bigger, faster, and stronger. Its going to be sad to see this game go away because unfortunately it has become too dangerous.
Lol, It's not going anywhere. I know Stanford educated doctors whose boys play high school football. It has and will evolve like all sports. Girls high school basketball and soccer produce more concussions and knee injuries than football and they are not going anywhere either. It seems like the soccer and lacrosse parents are the most negative when it comes to football.

Big difference from the 90's and previous decades - how many times was what is now a concussion - was thought to be as "getting your bell rung", sit out a few plays, and you're back on the field...Or how many players just did not acknowledge getting their bell rung and not reporting it to the coaches for fear of being labeled as soft. Times, for our kids sake, have changed.

Lol, It's not going anywhere. I know Stanford educated doctors whose boys play high school football. It has and will evolve like all sports. Girls high school basketball and soccer produce more concussions and knee injuries than football and they are not going anywhere either. It seems like the soccer and lacrosse parents are the most negative when it comes to football.

The link between Football and CTE is statistically significant. What is unknown is it the concussions, the repetitive subconcussive hits or the combination of two. Unfortunately, they dont have enough information yet. While some studies have shown CTE in other sports such as Soccer, the rate of occurrence has been substantially lower than football. Nobody can conclusively say that the changes made to Football and Concussion protocols have solved the CTE problem, and so it is a risk that parents either have to be okay with or not. No question that the number of players coming up playing youth football is down, and IMO, likely to trend downward until some more data can be collected that shows the changes they are making are working.

I'd expect the first concession to dwindling rosters would be dropping the independent Freshman team. I don't know if this is how you big city folks have always done it, but back in the midwest when I was a kid you started on JV. When you were good enough, you went to Varsity. If you weren't, you didn't.

Actually, rosters on the JVs are lower than that of Frosh rosters IMO. Perhaps bring back the label - "Frosh-Soph" team to replace Frosh and JV teams?

The link between Football and CTE is statistically significant. What is unknown is it the concussions, the repetitive subconcussive hits or the combination of two. Unfortunately, they dont have enough information yet. While some studies have shown CTE in other sports such as Soccer, the rate of occurrence has been substantially lower than football. Nobody can conclusively say that the changes made to Football and Concussion protocols have solved the CTE problem, and so it is a risk that parents either have to be okay with or not. No question that the number of players coming up playing youth football is down, and IMO, likely to trend downward until some more data can be collected that shows the changes they are making are working.
With the tens of millions and multiple generations of kids having played high school and college football since the 1950's, why aren't there massive amounts of people with alleged CTE associated medical problems resulting from their participation?

So what sport is the 2nd most sport likely to result in a concussion? This pertains to cheerleading as well as their gymnastics in both high school and the college level. At least 30 states have classified cheerleading as a "sport" due to the physical activity and competition that takes place. It is rated as the #2 most at risk sport with over 400,000 cheerleaders nationwide [mostly girls, but boys too to a smaller degree]. Somehow I don't think cheerleading is going away any time soon as well. Any discontinuation of high school football and cheerleading would have a significant effect socially in many parts of the country IMO.

Cheerleading: High Rates of Catastrophic Injuries and Concussions

http://www.momsteam.com/health-safety/cheerleading-high-rates-catastrophic-injuries-concussions#ixzz4xJYyTJjo

As for popularity the 3 top team sports in U.S. are:

1. Football
2. Baseball
3. Basketball

Of note fan interest in football has been increasing for a number of years currently [except for maybe recently with the national anthem debacle dividing fans and players].

Baseball has been losing ground in their fan base for a number of years now as the game is deemed "too slow and too long" to appeal to the younger generations.

Basketball on the other hand has been gaining ground steadily on baseball not only in U.S. but worldwide as well.
Possibly some covered the Warrior's recent trip to China where basket ball has become immensely popular.
Fact: Basketball was a huge hit in China during the 2008 Bejing Olympics and since that time over 500,000 basketball courts have been constructed in China. It is estimated that over 400-million Chinese play basketball on a regular basis - more than the entire U.S. population [NBA will almost certainly see more Chinese players in the future].

With the tens of millions and multiple generations of kids having played high school and college football since the 1950's, why aren't there massive amounts of people with alleged CTE associated medical problems resulting from their participation?

There are. The only way to know is to check the brain after they die. Of the 202 former football players checked, 177 (88%) were found with CTE. 110 out of 111 NFL (99%), 48 out of 53 College(did not play beyond college) (91%), and 3 out of 14 HS (did not play after HS) (21%).
Not enough info yet to make definitive conclusions with such a small sample size, but no way to discount the relationship between Football and CTE. Even the NFL has acknowledged that.

"The study examined both the brain pathology -- which is the behavior of the disease in the brain --and clinical history of every participant. It identified four stages of pathological CTE severity among the brains, based on amounts of tau buildup and distribution. Stages one and two are considered to be mild and stages three and four are considered severe. Individuals who were reported to have experienced more behavioral mood symptoms during their lifetime were more likely to have findings indicative of mild disease as opposed to severe. These symptoms occurred in 96% of mild cases and 89% of severe cases. People with a mild build up and distribution of tau were also more likely to have died by suicide. Those with a more severe build up, on the other hand, were more likely to have experienced cognitive symptoms, such as memory loss."

Source: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2645104

Slowly work RUGBY into a high school league sport. To me the only redeeming value of high school football is youre guaranteed to meet 40 kids entering your freshman year. Unless you have the physical attributes to play beyond high school, why bother?

Slowly work RUGBY into a high school league sport. To me the only redeeming value of high school football is youre guaranteed to meet 40 kids entering your freshman year. Unless you have the physical attributes to play beyond high school, why bother?
There is a reason why you have to post about RUGBY in a football forum. There is no rugby forum. The redeeming and enduring value of high school football is more than college participation prospects. This is worth reading. https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/31/jason-whitlock-warren-central-high-school-football-force-good

[B said:
"CityVibesII,[/B] post: 178851, member: 216"]Slowly work RUGBY into a high school league sport. To me the only redeeming value of high school football is youre guaranteed to meet 40 kids entering your freshman year. Unless you have the physical attributes to play beyond high school, why bother?

CityVibes did you really mean that kids/young adults who know they do not have specific physical attributes to play at the next level should not bother playing a high school sport? Please CityVibes say it ain't so...

There are countless examples of persons without the standard "desired physical attributes" who go on to the next level. It is simply out of desire that some individuals exceed their "limitations" and prove even the experts wrong. The first person I think of is Julian Edelman of the New England Patriot's out of Woodside High. Edelman as a freshman was "almost 100 lbs" and was not noticeable as a soph or much as a junior [I saw him play]. As a junior Edelman was better, still nowhere near outstanding. As a senior QB Edelman was then 5'7 - 170 and while Woodside won a CCS title Edelman got zero interest due to his physical stature & therefore ended up at CSM [College of San Mateo] for 1-year. While he had an outstanding 3 years at Kent State Edelman was not even invited to the NFL combine - too short, too small and not especially fast. New England chose him in the draft although with little risk since he was chosen as the 232nd pick in the 7th round. Edelman quickly made a name for himself with his gritty play as a punt & KO returner and making tough clutch catches and is now a 9-year veteran. A good thing no one told the "almost 100 lb freshman not to bother.

Julian Edelman at Woodside High - Does the then 5'7 QB look like NFL material?
920x920.jpg

Upcoming Games Tonite & Saturday:

Fri 11/03 Bellarmine at St. Francis 7:00pm
Fri 11/03 Mitty at Valley Christian 7:00pm

Sat 11/04 Sacred Heart Cathedral vs Riordan at City College of San Francisco 2:30pm
Sat 11/04 Serra at St. Ignatius 2:30pm

Games Livestreamed:
11/03 @ 6:45pm http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/s...ool-mountain-view-mountain-view-ca/786d177167

11/04 @ 1:50pm St Ignatius College Preparatory vs. Junipero Serra High School Boys Varsity Football
11/04 @ 2:20pm Football: Archbishop Riordan vs. Sacred Heart Cathedral

The Over/Under Line:
* Lancers by 21 over Bells
* VC by 26 over Monarchs
* Irish over Riordan by 14
* Serra over S.I. by 36

Last nite's final scores:

SF 31-6 over Bells. Bells D kept it close for a 1/2 but without any real offensive firepower the Lancers slowly pulled away in the 2nd 1/2. Bells simply cannot win when they can't score points.

VC 31-28 over Mitty in a surprisingly close game down to the end. The game was 10-7 VC at the 1/2 and then 21-17 Mitty leading at end of the 4th quarter. VC outscored Mitty 14-7 in the final quarter to squeak by the Monarchs and win 31-28. VC stays in contention for a share of the WCAL crown if SF is able to take down Serra next week. First Serra must defeat S.I. today. S.I. can't be ruled out coming off their amazing last minute upset of Mitty last week by 22-21. That has got to boost the Wildcats confidence and as the game is at St. Ignatius maybe a few fans will show up in support after last weeks surprising win.

Can I say it...."KINGS OF KEZAR"
But before I hand the mic to AD to Riordan before we I would like to thank: Tim Readon
Mike Gilleran
Joe Green
And the guys who put it together everyday: Jay'sen "Dungy" Morrison
Daniel "Not on my Defense" Curtian
Darius "You can't handle this" Bell
Kaleah " too easy" Bell, Ryan "Not off R line" Jones.

We Are One, We R Riordan

Can I say it...."KINGS OF KEZAR"
But before I hand the mic to AD to Riordan before we I would like to thank: Tim Readon
Mike Gilleran
Joe Green
And the guys who put it together everyday: Jay'sen "Dungy" Morrison
Daniel "Not on my Defense" Curtian
Darius "You can't handle this" Bell
Kaleah " too easy" Bell, Ryan "Not off R line" Jones.

We Are One, We R Riordan
Spell check

CityVibes did you really mean that kids/young adults who know they do not have specific physical attributes to play at the next level should not bother playing a high school sport? Please CityVibes say it ain't so...

There are countless examples of persons without the standard "desired physical attributes" who go on to the next level. It is simply out of desire that some individuals exceed their "limitations" and prove even the experts wrong. The first person I think of is Julian Edelman of the New England Patriot's out of Woodside High. Edelman as a freshman was "almost 100 lbs" and was not noticeable as a soph or much as a junior [I saw him play]. As a junior Edelman was better, still nowhere near outstanding. As a senior QB Edelman was then 5'7 - 170 and while Woodside won a CCS title Edelman got zero interest due to his physical stature & therefore ended up at CSM [College of San Mateo] for 1-year. While he had an outstanding 3 years at Kent State Edelman was not even invited to the NFL combine - too short, too small and not especially fast. New England chose him in the draft although with little risk since he was chosen as the 232nd pick in the 7th round. Edelman quickly made a name for himself with his gritty play as a punt & KO returner and making tough clutch catches and is now a 9-year veteran. A good thing no one told the "almost 100 lb freshman not to bother.

Julian Edelman at Woodside High - Does the then 5'7 QB look like NFL material?
920x920.jpg

I was clearly specific to high school football and to the argument, is it worth the possibility to long-term injury. You make a valid argument and great example countering my statement. BTW, I love football, but see why some parents don't push football over other high school sports.

Serra rolling early, 13-0 midway in first at SI...Make it 19-0. Kendrick has TD runs of 73 and 21.

Last edited:
[B said:
"CityVibesII[/B], post: 179076, member: 216"]I was clearly specific to high school football and to the argument, is it worth the possibility to long-term injury. You make a valid argument and great example countering my statement. BTW, I love football, but see why some parents don't push football over other high school sports.

Agreed CityVibesII nothing in high school sports or sports at any level is worth long-term injury. It comes down to common sense & weighing the risks. Hysteria also should not rule our lives & prevent us from doing what we enjoy.
Like many I have great memories of playing sports throughout HS. One of my son's played HS football and did very well only to be severely injured in a car accident caused by another. So there is some degree of risk in many things in life. For myself and that son we both thought the risk was worth the reward.

Reactions: CityVibesII
47-0 at the 1/2 - a classic mismatch in what I actually thought would be a bit more competitive after S.I.'s upset of Mitty - the same MItty that took VC down to the wire last night.

Unless there is a minor miracle for S.I. the dreaded "running clock" will commence at the start of the 4th quarter and end the game within a few minutes after that.

Good heavens. What has happened to the SI football program? It has been a steady downward spiral over the last several seasons. Is it demographics? Is it tough entrance requirements? Is it an emphasis on girls' sports? Is lacrosse now the priority? Is this a calculated de-emphasis? Is it all of the above? One wonders. One frets. One puzzles.

Good heavens. What has happened to the SI football program? It has been a steady downward spiral over the last several seasons. Is it demographics? Is it tough entrance requirements? Is it an emphasis on girls' sports? Is lacrosse now the priority? Is this a calculated de-emphasis? Is it all of the above? One wonders. One frets. One puzzles.

By the way, Serra would be wise to yank its starters early in the third period. SF looms on the horizon. Coach Walsh has never won an outright WCAL crown. Serra hasn't done so since 1969. That's two full generations ago. Rest those starters.

And, of course, the programs in the rest of the WCAL could not care less about SI's situation.

Good heavens. What has happened to the SI football program?.

Maybe nothing? Maybe they’re just a “normal” high school that doesn’t consider themselves some kind of football powerhouse, and maybe the quality of the team just ebbs and flows with the quality and depth of each class, and maybe other schools have had up years?

What happened at end of SHC/Riordan game? On the Cube, Riordan was running a couple plays and tried to call a time out to run one more play, but officials ended game. A tussle started between Riordan coaches and refs (I believe). The camera cautiously turned away. Once level heads took over, the camera panned back to midfield. Any insight from someone there? Pretty entertaining game, nonetheless.

Last edited:
What happened at end of SHC/Riordan game? On the Cube, Riordan was running a couple plays and tried to call a time out to run one more play, but officials ended game. A tussle started between Riordan coaches and refs (I believe). The camera cautiously turned away. Once level heads took over, the camera panned back to midfield. Any insight from someone there? Pretty entertaining game, nonetheless.

I didn't notice. I was under the impression the refs were just letting the clock run out. It was already 42-21 Irish at that point anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT