ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2017: Sports Stars Magazine write up of Serra's State Bowl Win

Ajiake takes it in for his 2nd of night. Xtra pt is good and Bells trail MA 16-14 with just under 8 to play

Johnny Castro with big stop for Valley Christian to force Manteca punt. VC ball 4:34 left 40 yd line down 22-20

Valley Christian driving with 2 minutes left and at the Manteca 30 trailing by two points. Vc has kicker who can threaten from inside the 35

VC has nice run to 25....but holding and now 3rd and long....Nice plyy again to get to 20 and make it to 4th down and just short of 20 1st down market. VC time out with 1 second on clock. VC kicking 37 yard FG

NorCal - how is it you have game time? The entire game all the screen shows is "1rst / 12:00"].
I posted a live link that VC posted above, and also was following twitter.....VC could have won it.

Bells was twitter live posts

Hmmm, looking over the nights games..

SF runs over OG as anticipated & looks good in doing so [status unchanged SF is good]
VC falls to Manteca they were expected to win [questions about offense have officially surfaced]
SHC just gets by Fernley of NV and rumors swirl that Fernley was not that bad as reported
Riordan gets steamrolled by Central Catholic in what is a disheartening sign of things to come
Mitty is dominated by Sacramento who is anything but a powerhouse [maybe they're better than reported?]
Bells come back & take down an excellent M-A team ranked in top 5 of CCS! Red-Alert! Bell's are back!
S.I. as with their reporting on MaxPreps has gone silent the first game of the season -are there no football fans left at the school formerly known as St. Ignatius?

So of tonights winners & losers the BELL"S of Bellarmine are the clear winners whose WCAL stock has just risen considerably.

Unfortunately the other 5 teams other than Bell's & SF fell below expectations. VC of the top 3 projected teams fell to Manteca who is not a projected powerhouse team and my concerns over VC's offense have been exposed in the first game.
I could be mistaken if Manteca has a dominating D, but how many passes did you see VC completing? Am very surprised by the deficit Mitty lost by [?].

Will have a much more clear picture of WCAL tomorrow after the Serra-St. Mary's rematch..

Actually Manteca is a very good team. They were underrated. However, as I thought....VC QB a questionmark, but running attack wore out Manteca in second half, and VC had lots of penalties and some breakdowns on defense. VC will get better and they have lots of speed. Still think they are number 3 in WCAL.

Bells I thought would surprise and it is looking like they are #4 and could knock off a VC or another top WCAL team.

Serra we'll have to see.

St Francis defense is plain nasty and they have a smashmouth defense. Still think SF is top team in WCAL but hey this league is tough to run the table. Oak Grove in some ways looked better than I thought on offense.

Crusaders get blown out 68-7 vs Central Catholic. The game took an ugly turn when Riordan soph qb Adam Abdelghani took a violent hit to the head after a 1st down scramble. He was struck as he went into a slide. Crusader coaches sprinted onto the field and were incensed. Words were exchanged with the CC coaches. Raiders showed no class as they just stood on the sidelines while the Crusader squad took a knee as their fallen teammate was knocked out cold and eventually taken off the field. CC's best player RB/SS Dauson Booker was ejected and play was restored after a lengthy stop in play. Turnovers, penalties on both sides of the ball, and the inability to stop the run doomed the Crusaders.
Bright spot was Jr rb Chime Ugbaja who broke off several long gains. He had 100+ yards. Jordon Fox had a nice catch and run for an 80 yd score.
CC Raiders are the real deal. They would contend for the WCAL title. Btw - CC (4 time State Champ 2012-15) is in the same league as Manteca who just beat VC. Both are considered #2 and #3 as Oakdale (2016 State Champ) is the prohibitive favorite.

Last edited:

SF runs over OG as anticipated & looks good in doing so [status unchanged SF is good]
VC falls to Manteca they were expected to win [questions about offense have officially surfaced]
SHC just gets by Fernley of NV and rumors swirl that Fernley was not that bad as reported
Riordan gets steamrolled by Central Catholic in what is a disheartening sign of things to come
Mitty is dominated by Sacramento who is anything but a powerhouse [maybe they're better than reported?]
Bells come back & take down an excellent M-A team ranked in top 5 of CCS! Red-Alert! Bell's are back!
S.I. as with their reporting on MaxPreps has gone silent the first game of the season -are there no football fans left at the school formerly known as St. Ignatius?

So of tonights winners & losers the BELL"S of Bellarmine are the clear winners whose WCAL stock has just risen considerably.

Unfortunately the other 5 teams other than Bell's & SF fell below expectations. VC of the top 3 projected teams fell to Manteca who is not a projected powerhouse team and my concerns over VC's offense have been exposed in the first game.
I could be mistaken if Manteca has a dominating D, but how many passes did you see VC completing? Am very surprised by the deficit Mitty lost by [?].

Will have a much more clear picture of WCAL tomorrow after the Serra-St. Mary's rematch..
Never count the Bells out when considering who the top WCAL teams are. Proven once again.

i guess never count the bells out. they grind out a win. but one thing i notice, i have never seen so many M-A players go down to cramping issues. M-A actually had 3 players down after a play. i can see why conditioning is important.
Does anyone know what was the penaly close to the end of the game?

VC of the top 3 projected teams fell to Manteca who is not a projected powerhouse team and my concerns over VC's offense have been exposed in the first game.
Rmbr26, Manteca is considered a NorCal power along with league mates Central Catholic-Modesto and Oakdale.
http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/No-19-Bellarmine-rallies-to-defeat-No-9-11969073.php

SHC just gets by Fernley of NV and rumors swirl that Fernley was not that bad as reported.
Fernley did look cohesive. They got a break early with a TD after a fumble deep in SHC's own end. SHC turned things around with their own defensive TD early in the third quarter and finally shut down Fernley's offense. The Vaqueros had five players over 265 pounds, including one who was 6-4 and 315 lbs.
Just when people complain about SHC running too much, they start to pass and don't run enough. I'm sure the coach will address that going into next week's game that will be on BAOSN.tv.
Irish were able to move the ball effectively throughout the game. A bright spot is #3 Ronan Orford, who is a good kicker as well as a good receiver.

Riordan gets steamrolled by Central Catholic 68-7 in what is a disheartening sign of things to come
Sure Central is Catholic? Who gives a player a cheap shot, especially during a blow-out?

Either it was defense, or both teams couldn't move the ball. I'm betting on the latter. We'll know for sure when they play Campolindo.

Last edited:
Sure Central is Catholic? Who gives a player a cheap shot, especially during a blow-out?
Exactly! Game was virtually decided. Also, CC coaches were surprised and complained about their best player being ejected. CC players did not take a knee during the injury timeout. Not very Catholic-like. Lol! Probably more po'd because he misses next week's game against Marin Catholic.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
i guess never count the bells out. they grind out a win. but one thing i notice, i have never seen so many M-A players go down to cramping issues. M-A actually had 3 players down after a play. i can see why conditioning is important.
Does anyone know what was the penaly close to the end of the game?
MA qb spiked ball from gun with 8 sec left in game. Penalty. Intentional grounding. ? Loss of down, run time off clock, yards? Ruled loss of down, no clock run down. Bought to 4 th and goal with no time outs left. Ensuing play incomplete pass and turnover on downs.

Reactions: ds1968
MA qb spiked ball from gun with 8 sec left in game. Penalty. Intentional grounding. ? Loss of down, run time off clock, yards? Ruled loss of down, no clock run down. Bought to 4 th and goal with no time outs left. Ensuing play incomplete pass and turnover on downs.
So, the only way to stop the clock is the QB has to be under center to spike the ball? Interesting. I did not know that.

Exactly! Game was virtually decided. Also, CC coaches were surprised and complained about their best player being ejected. CC players did not take a knee during the injury timeout. Not very Catholic-like. Lol! Probably more po'd because he misses next week's game against Marin Catholic.

The Riordan QB slid feet first, so he was not trying to gain extra yards. The Central Catholic player targeted the QB's head. The Central Catholic head coach argued against the ejection of his player Dauson Booker, while the Riordan QB was being attended to by the trainers from both teams.

Reactions: jordan24
The Riordan QB slid feet first, so he was not trying to gain extra yards. The Central Catholic player targeted the QB's head. The Central Catholic head coach argued against the ejection of his player Dauson Booker, while the Riordan QB was being attended to by the trainers from both teams.
Any word on the extent of Adam's injury?

Serra vs St. Mary's in a few minutes at 7:00 PM via NFHSnetwork

So here we go WCAL fans, with 7 of the teams playing last evening only Serra has yet to be tested & will they every!
Of the 3 tough pre-season opponents the Padres will face the 1rst of them St. Mary's is rated the highest. The St. Mary's run-game featuring Dusty Framption literally ran over the Padres on their home turf last season in the opener. BOth teams ended 2016 in state bowl games, so likely neither will be intimidated by the early season big-game atmosphere. This game features to be run vs pass by 2 different offenses and the unknown of St. Mary's QB. Get ready - almost time!

Reactions: jordan24
Both have punted on their first two series each...St mary's now starts 3rd seriers around their 27

St Mary's punts on 3rd series but downed on 1 yard line. Pads start their 3rd seriers at their one yard line. About 4 minutes left in Q1

Serra penalties hurting them and need to punt from 4 yard line on their 3rd series nearing 2 minutes. Punt to Jenkins at 40 and returns to Serra;s 9 yard line but blocking from back penalty at 30 and St Mary;s penalty...St Mary;s starts at Serra 38 on 4th seriers

St Mary;s passes to Serra 3 yard line 9 yard line and penalty by Pads...blow to head...moves it closer. 1st and goal from 3 yard line. 2 seconds left in Q1

Quarter ends but will start Q2 with St Mary's at Serra 3 yard line and 1st and goal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT