19. Bells
20. Miramonte
21. SRV
22. Mitty
23. Monte Vista
24. St. Pat-St. Vincent
25. Palo Alto

2017 Mitty “Monarch’s”

Does Mitty make a run in 2017 or hold steady at the #5 position in WCAL?

For myself Mitty was one of the more interesting teams to watch throughout the 2016 season going 3-4 in league and 7-6 overall. Mitty had quite an up & down season as they say, losing big one week and winning big on others. Mitty suffered a couple of blow-out losses to SF & Serra in consecutive weeks, but showed the fortitude to come back from those disparaging losses & string together 3 nice wins into the post season before a hard fought and respectable loss to Serra by 37-24 in the Open II Championship. While Serra won by 13 points over Mitty what is important is that Serra along the way had also just beaten SF by 31-17 the week prior - a 14 point differential – so Mitty lost by 1 point less to Serra than SF who had blanked Mitty 42-0 in league play. Mitty finished the 2016 season on a very strong note IMO.

2016 Mitty senior’s not returning this season: Austin Kause WR/DB– WCAL MVP Utility Player/Athlete, Zondre Faraj-Washington RB/LB First Team All WCAL, Philip Tran QB – First Team All WCAL and passing yardage leader for WCAL throwing for over 2100 yards, Andy Wiltberger OL/DL 2nd Team All WCAL, Keaton Collier DB 2nd Team All WCAL, Blake Rose DE 2nd Team All WCAL, Matt Hicks OL WCAL Honorable Mention, Tyler Jochen WR WCAL Honorable Mention. Mitty loses 18 seniors off a roster of 46 players or approx. 38% of roster. Mitty had one of the worst JV teams and one of the best Frosh teams so they could possibly reload 20+ varsity players from those 2 teams. The 2 players unlikely to equal will of course be Philip Tran & Austin Kause.

Much more importantly: Who is returning?
Nick Alftin DE 6’5 – 225
First Team All WCAL and likely one of the top D-players in the WCAL this season, Gabe Meza OL/DL 6’2-215 First Team All WCAL, Tyler Laton OL/DL 6’2-185 WCAL Honorable Mention, Slader Basso LB 6-0-185 WCAL Honorable Mention.

Conclusion and what to expect:
Overall on paper it appears Mitty will have to do all it can to retain its spot of #5 in WCAL unless of course the new players coming up to varsity surprise. Mitty loses a lot in the way of skill players graduating WR’s, RB’s and their field-general Tran the QB. While Tran had a strong arm he was not a big threat in running the ball downfield. It is likely we’ll see a more athletic QB behind center this season for Mitty and one who will pose a bit more of a threat in running when the opportunity presents itself. Mitty had 3 Juniors listed as able to play the QB position so interesting to see who competes in pre-season & who they come up with. In replacing the QB, RB’s and WR’s it is difficult to envision Mitty reloading from a JV team that went 1-9 and having much of an explosive offense. This season looks for Mitty to be passing considerably less than 2016 and using multiple RB’s to spread the ball around. Mitty’s coaching responded well at the end of 2016 and I again think the Monarch coaches will do the very best with what they’ve got to work with.

Next Up: Bellarmine “Bells”
You make no mention of Joseph Vaughn who was the only sophomore to be named 1st Team All WCAL. A two way player who had explosive plays on offense and was second in the WCAL in tackles.

You make no mention of Joseph Vaughn who was the only sophomore to be named 1st Team All WCAL. A two way player who had explosive plays on offense and was second in the WCAL in tackles.

Sorry about that isaac vaughn, apparently skipped over Joseph Vaughn of Mitty in a momentary lapse of consciousness [mainly due to fact he was listed as a soph missed my focus on juniors' and seniors']. OK lets take this a step further as
this is a player worth watching this coming season by fans, including myself. So fans here's a bit of info on one of Mitty's most important returning players for the 2017 season.

Joseph Vaughn SS/WR 6'3-190: 2 way player who contributed on both sides of the ball and especially on defense - ending the season as the 3rd ranked tackler in the WCAL with 98 tackles and 2 INT's & with #1 & #2 graduating as seniors' that means Joseph Vaughn is the highest ranked tackler returning this season as a junior [how on earth did I miss this guy??].

I found this a bit interesting: The Soph Player of Year was S.I.'s Jaedon Roberts OL/DL 6'3-248 who was 2nd team All WCAL while Joseph Vaughn the 3rd leading tackler in league also a soph was 1rst team All WCAL[?] What did I miss here?

On another side note: Serra's back-up soph QB Luke Bottari threw 14 TD's in 2016 [2nd highest in league] and had a QB rating of 101.7 [2nd highest in league to Leki Nunn]. Bottari played in 13 games and was 3-0 in the 3 WCAL games he played while Nunn was out injured. Not bad for "Honorable Mention".

Conclusion:
very rare for a skill player to make 1rst team All WCAL as a soph. Of the approx. 34 soph's and 2 frosh on WCAL teams in 2016 other than Joseph Vaughn of Mitty & Jaedon Roberts of S.I. the following soph players were also recognized: Isaias Sierra of Riordan O/DL 6'2-258 2nd team All WCAL, EJ Lahlouh of Serra SS/RB 6'0-200 Honorable Mention, Luke Bottari of Serra QB 5'11-170 Honorable Mention, Mark Biggins of S.I. RB/DB 5'10-176 Honorable Mention,
Paul Matavao-Poialii of Riordan G/DT 6'3-265 Honorable Mention

Reactions: FBAddict
In fairness to the Rambling Individual, the WCAL annually names so many all-league football players it's easy to lose track of them all. The list is longer than your typical CVS cash register receipt which, by the way, resembles something right out of the Dead Sea Scrolls in sheer volume.

Reactions: RLS13
In fairness to the Rambling Individual, the WCAL annually names so many all-league football players it's easy to lose track of them all. The list is longer than your typical CVS cash register receipt which, by the way, resembles something right out of the Dead Sea Scrolls in sheer volume.
That's some funny stuff Col. and very accurate. I think 49 players on the "1st Team" is a bit much no?! Not to mention the 24 on the "2nd Team" and another 30+ on the honorable mention list. Everyone gets a trophy!

I found this a bit interesting: The Soph Player of Year was S.I.'s Jaedon Roberts OL/DL 6'3-248 who was 2nd team All WCAL while Joseph Vaughn the 3rd leading tackler in league also a soph was 1rst team All WCAL[?] What did I miss here?

WCAL teams are slotted a certain number of positions for 1st, 2nd, etc league teams based on their order of finish in the WCAL. The Player Awards are voted on by the coaches. So, Mitty's coach would have placed Vaughn into one of the 1st team slots, but the rest of league voted Roberts as Soph of year.

Reactions: rabbit5
Sorry about that isaac vaughn, apparently skipped over Joseph Vaughn of Mitty in a momentary lapse of consciousness [mainly due to fact he was listed as a soph missed my focus on juniors' and seniors']. OK lets take this a step further as
this is a player worth watching this coming season by fans, including myself. So fans here's a bit of info on one of Mitty's most important returning players for the 2017 season.

Joseph Vaughn SS/WR 6'3-190: 2 way player who contributed on both sides of the ball and especially on defense - ending the season as the 3rd ranked tackler in the WCAL with 98 tackles and 2 INT's & with #1 & #2 graduating as seniors' that means Joseph Vaughn is the highest ranked tackler returning this season as a junior [how on earth did I miss this guy??].

On another side note: Serra's back-up soph QB Luke Bottari threw 14 TD's in 2016 [2nd highest in league] and had a QB rating of 101.7 [2nd highest in league to Leki Nunn]. Bottari played in 13 games and was 3-0 in the 3 WCAL games he played while Nunn was out injured. Not bad for "Honorable Mention".

Conclusion:
very rare for a skill player to make 1rst team All WCAL as a soph. Of the approx. 34 soph's and 2 frosh on WCAL teams in 2016 other than Joseph Vaughn of Mitty & Jaedon Roberts of S.I. the following soph players were also recognized: Isaias Sierra of Riordan O/DL 6'2-258 2nd team All WCAL, EJ Lahlouh of Serra SS/RB 6'0-200 Honorable Mention, Luke Bottari of Serra QB 5'11-170 Honorable Mention, Mark Biggins of S.I. RB/DB 5'10-176 Honorable Mention,
Paul Matavao-Poialii of Riordan G/DT 6'3-265 Honorable Mention
I noticed that as well when reviewing teams. I have heard coaches say it they decide to bring up a sophmore or a very rare freshman, they will make sure they get to play. Otherwise, HCs will keep them in JV.

WCAL Games being broadcast live-stream:

St. Francis vs Oak Grove Friday-Tonite 7:00 PM http://baosn.tv/

SHC vs Fernley Friday-Tonite 7:00 PM https://www.thecube.com/explore/upcoming

Valley Christian vs Manteca Friday-Tonite 7:00 PM http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/explore/upcoming

Serra vs St. Mary's - Sat. 7:00 PM http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/explore/upcoming

They won't be live, but Comcast Hometown Network is showing Bellarmine-MA (Saturday) and St. Francis-Oak Grove (Sunday)

* Note: the nfhsnetwork games require a subscription to watch - either a 1-day, 1-month or 1-year [if you watch any amount of games like I do the 1-year is the only way to go].

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
I don't recall many if any St Francis teams with as much D1/FBS talent as this years. These include: Reed Vettel, Sr, 6-5, 185, QB, played in loss to Citrus Hill in the CIF D2-A state bowl game and strong armed passer. Offer from Cornell, along with interest from schools such as San Jose State and UC Davis; Tyler Manoa, Sr.,6-5, 294, DT/OL, committed BYU and other offers; Joshua Pakola, Jr, OLB, 6-3, 230, offers from Stanford, Georgia, Oregon, UCLA, Washington and others; Viliami Fehoko, 6-3, 225, TE/OLB, Sr, offers from Arizona, San Jose State, Idaho State, Montana, Montana State, and Hawaii. Maurice Wilmer II, Jr, 6-2, 187, WR/DB, offered by SJSU; St Francis also has some other players that will get looks. They are going to be very good on defense as well. SF is going to have one of their better teams in years talent wise.
Agreed - SF is most likely the team to beat this year in the WCAL. I was going over the scout list of players for WCAL teams and was surprised that Serra came in third after SF and VC. SF should be potent on both offense and defense. VC appears stacked on defense but is a large unknown on offense. Serra appears strongest in offense and less noted on defense.

Agreed - SF is most likely the team to beat this year in the WCAL. I was going over the scout list of players for WCAL teams and was surprised that Serra came in third after SF and VC. SF should be potent on both offense and defense. VC appears stacked on defense but is a large unknown on offense. Serra appears strongest in offense and less noted on defense.

As previously stated Cal/Preps has SF as #1, but various other polls have the top 3 WCAL teams rated differently.
In my pre-season run-down I have SF #3, VC #2 and Serra #1. So many factors to weigh in and little separated these teams last season if you consider just the 3 league match-ups: VC 35-28 over Serra 1rst league game of season in a back & forth game that went down to the last several minutes, Serra 41-40 O/T over SF in 3rd league game of season in a whild shoot-out, SF 13-10 O/T over VC in 6th league game of season - an average point spread of less than 4-points per game.
The only definitive win was Serra 31-17 over SF in post season round 2 of playoffs.

In my review of SF they would appear to be stronger on defense than offense or rather the opposite of Serra. SF or VC should have the #1 D and Serra should have the #1 O. If SF has younger players from the undefeated JV team who emerge at the skill positions they will be tough to beat. If Serra's D shows marked improvement over early 2016 season then the Padres will be a tough match up. VC looks solid and is ranked #3 due to having a new QB for one reason while SF & Serra both start expereinced players and Serra has 2 quality back-ups to go to if need be. SF loses its best RB & WR while Serra returns both theirs.

WCAL Games being broadcast live-stream:

St. Francis vs Oak Grove Friday-Tonite 7:00 PM http://baosn.tv/

SHC vs Fernley Friday-Tonite 7:00 PM https://www.thecube.com/explore/upcoming

Valley Christian vs Manteca Friday-Tonite 7:00 PM http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/explore/upcoming

Serra vs St. Mary's - Sat. 7:00 PM http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/explore/upcoming

They won't be live, but Comcast Hometown Network is showing Bellarmine-MA (Saturday) and St. Francis-Oak Grove (Sunday)

* Note: the nfhsnetwork games require a subscription to watch - either a 1-day, 1-month or 1-year [if you watch any amount of games like I do the 1-year is the only way to go].

I usually get the nfhsnetwork subscription the last few years. They have gotten better as far as quality of stream. They run on Amazon Web Services at least the last couple years and seems that it scales much better. They also have some of the good national and socal games for the high school football fan. I

As previously stated Cal/Preps has SF as #1, but various other polls have the top 3 WCAL teams rated differently.
In my pre-season run-down I have SF #3, VC #2 and Serra #1. So many factors to weigh in and little separated these teams last season if you consider just the 3 league match-ups: VC 35-28 over Serra 1rst league game of season in a back & forth game that went down to the last several minutes, Serra 41-40 O/T over SF in 3rd league game of season in a whild shoot-out, SF 13-10 O/T over VC in 6th league game of season - an average point spread of less than 4-points per game.
The only definitive win was Serra 31-17 over SF in post season round 2 of playoffs.

In my review of SF they would appear to be stronger on defense than offense or rather the opposite of Serra. SF or VC should have the #1 D and Serra should have the #1 O. If SF has younger players from the undefeated JV team who emerge at the skill positions they will be tough to beat. If Serra's D shows marked improvement over early 2016 season then the Padres will be a tough match up. VC looks solid and is ranked #3 due to having a new QB for one reason while SF & Serra both start expereinced players and Serra has 2 quality back-ups to go to if need be. SF loses its best RB & WR while Serra returns both theirs.

I have SF, Serra and VC (although I think VC and Serra can change). I am weighting against VC with QB questiion mark. If they have a QB they could win it, but from the film I have seen it looks like they will be more Run and less balanced. Although they will have a good line and speed at the skill positions and defense should be very good. I think Serra will be better at defense than they were last season, but the game against St Mary's tonight will be a test on that. SF looks like they are going to be very physical on defense, with great line and LBs. Offense will be smashmouth but they will also be threat to pass. SF could be very good this year.

How do the teams rank going against each other in the season openers'?

To try to put some of the games in perspective I looked up the power ratings on each team based upon the returning players from last season's teams. Here are the power ratings for tonight and tomorrow's games. Since pre-season they're not as reliable as say after 3-4 games, but should give you some idea as to each team's potential.

Bellarmine 23.6 vs Menlo-Atherton 29.9 [#7 and #5 ranked teams in CCS go at it - M-A ended Bell's season in 2016

Serra 40.5 vs St. Mary's 55.2 [Serra is #3 in CCS - Passing team vs a running team]

Valley Christian 41.2 vs Manteca 32.4 [VC is #2 in CCS - on road for VC & sets stage with new QB]

St. Francis 44.2 vs Oak Grove 9.1 [SF is #1 in CCS, this game is usually competitive, not sure this time..]

Mitty 18.9 vs Sacramento 20.0 [should be a good one & Mitty has home field]

S.I. 24.4 vs Clovis East -6.1 [S.I. should pull away in replay of last year]

SHC 8.5 vs Fernley-Nevada -11.3 [long way here and long way home on that bus for Fernley]

Riordan 5.3 vs Central Catholic 21.0 [telling game for Riordan if they can keep it close]

Manteca offense looks really good. Scores first 4:03 in Q1 and went for two....Manteca 8-0 VC. Manteca had an earlier score called back due to hurdling.

Although it's early, Manteca looking pretty good vs Valley Christian. Manteca TD called back due to hurdling. Both defenses held in their respective first series. But, Manteca moving the ball and just scored with a pass over the middle. Manteca 8 VC 0 with 4:03 left in the 1st QTR.

Looks like a lot of folks, including me (9 pt pick), picked VC in this week's pick'em. Hoping VC can answer. But, if they are limited to running the ball, this could be home win for Manteca.

VC scores on long Charlie Bostic run...nobody on the field close to his speed...1:50 left in Q1 Manteca 8 VC 7....VC has to stop all those penalties.

VC defense is warming up & adjusting to Manteca & also ran the TD play to perfection. Both good teams & will be an entertaining game - lets see if VC's lines take over in 2nd 1/2.

SF vs Oak Grove is turning into a mismatch. SF with its run game & D starts a bit slow but can hang points on you in a hurry and before teams know it they're down 2-3 TD's - which is whats happening now [and could get worse].

[B said:
"jordan24[/B], post: 169570, member: 140"]Riordan ties score with 80 yd TD pass. 7-7 1st qtr

Wow! I like that news! Keep up posted Jordan. Riordan hanging around with CC would be big news.

Manteca scored again and was 15-7 , but technical problems and has been out

NFHS sports network known for this type of thing & will drive fans nuts! If you have a 1-day or 1-month subscription you can ask for a credit to extend it. Its not the equipment, its the people at the high schools trying to operate it.

VC's Charlie Bostic second TD from 3 yards out . PAT is no good. Manteca 22 VC 13, 7:24 to go in the 3rd Q.

D’Angelo McKenzie runs the next play into the end zone. PAT is good. Manteca 22 Valley Christian 20, 11:09 left in the 4th Q......Manteca 2 oint conversion and VC missed xtra point the difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT