ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL FOOTBALL : Omission of WCAL's MVP from NorCal Top 50 list [??]

Ted Smithers, the origin of the "Riordan Rabbit" err Jackrabbit nickname - A cartoon back in the day called Crusader Rabbit:
https://www.facebook.com/Archbishop...81779061262/10152981776616262/?type=1&theater

Yes, that brings back memories...

Still never knew the origins of the S.I. Cherries though...Was it their red jerseys/uniforms? They wore blue for a while back in the mid-late 80's.

For Mitty, we always called them the Butterflies.

For Bellarmine week, we wore little bells on our cleat's laces.

I recall calling SH something to the effect of "Irish Stew" or a bunch of "Paddy's"

I was in 8th grade watching Riordan and SH (before going co-Ed) and the Crusader cheering section shouted
S-H-I-T Sacred Heart Irish Team! And who can forget "Who's Your Padre?!?" Definitely before being "P.C,". Good times! Lol!

Yes, that brings back memories...

Still never knew the origins of the S.I. Cherries though...Was it their red jerseys/uniforms? They wore blue for a while back in the mid-late 80's.

For Mitty, we always called them the Butterflies.

For Bellarmine week, we wore little bells on our cleat's laces.

I recall calling SH something to the effect of "Irish Stew" or a bunch of "Paddy's"

SI is the "Cherries" because of their red uniforms. Back in leather helmet days, their original colors were black and yellow. Sacred Heart College was originally red and gold. I'm not sure when their team names originated.

Reactions: jordan24
I was in 8th grade watching Riordan and SH (before going co-Ed) and the Crusader cheering section shouted
S-H-*-T Sacred Heart Irish Team! And who can forget "Who's Your Padre?!?" Definitely before being "P.C,". Good times! Lol!

I guess fool-Bo ran the cheering section then.

Last edited:
WCAL 2015 Football - Preview of first games: Bellarmine vs Franklin [Elk Grove]

Game Friday nite Sept. 4th at Bells - SJCC 7:00 p.m.
Last Year's Game: Bells 42-28 come from behind win at Franklin
2014 Records = Bells 10-3 and Franklin 7-5

Bells had 3 double digit losses to VC, Serra & SHP.
Franklin lost 56-13 to Folsom, 43-14 to Grant, 35-6 to Elk Grove, 35-19 to Jesuit & Bells.

Bells JV Record for 2014 = 9-1
Franklin JV Rcord for 2014 = 1-3

Players to watch for Bells:
Bells return over 50% of their roster and lots of help from JV & frosh that went a combined 16-3 so Bellarmine has much more roster depth than in recent years. WCAL MV-Utility Player in Kyle Macauley - 5'10-175, WR/RB/SS/KR and fastest player in the WCAL, Troy Martig - QB who is possibly the 2nd fastest in WCAL and likely the best QB in WCAL for 2015, Josh Bringuel 6'3-210, TE/LB, Jacob Bergstrom 6'3-225, OL/LB, Wolfie Rehbock 6'3-240, OL/DL, Devon Buenrostro 5'9-175, WR/DB, Cole Bunce 5'9-150 Kicker, Will Crummey 5'9-180 TE/LB, Antonio Garcia 5'8-160, RB/DB.

Players to watch for Franklin: returning QB Jacob Lopez [6'1-175] passed 93/173 for 1512 yards [54% completion ratio] 13-TD's and only 4 Int's for QB rating of 98.7. Lopez can also run and did so for 275 yards scrambling last season. Franklin's top RB returns in Lamar Jackson [6'3-210] and they counter the Bells Macauley with Kaderro Tamondong [5'9-185] who is their 2nd leading rusher and also their top returning WR.On defense their leading tackler is Rahshaan York [6'-215] at LB and 2nd leading tackler returning is Calvin Egberuare [5'10-185].

Game Review:
Franklin has a deep roster as well along with quite a bit of talent at the skill positions [so look for Franklin to score some points - at least 21+]. Franklin typically has a run to pass ratio of around 2-1 so the offense usually mixes up the plays and the QB Lopez will scramble on a regular basis, so Bells must contain. Franklin does not have much depth at WR and the Bells have a good secondary, so Franklin may have a bit of difficulty passing. If Bells can contain Franklin's RB Lamar Jackson and pressure QB Lopez it could be a long night for Franklin. As for the Bells they cannot afford to let a talented & speedy Franklin team get out in front early in the game as happened last year [if not for some 2nd 1/2 big plays by Bells last year's contest could have ended differently]. It will be interesting to see where the Bell's pick-up from last season after ending on a down note with the loss to SHP [blanked 14-0]. The Bells return 13 starters with most of their top skill players, plenty of speed themselves and added depth in new players coming up. Franklin & Bellarmine are ranked as even in this game with a slight edge going to Franklin who with their skill players returning is rated as better overall than last season. Both of these teams are capable of big plays on offense and whichever team has the most big plays should win. Bells execute well and make few mistakes, so will have to go with Bellarmine.

Prediction: Bells 27-20

Next Up: Serra vs DLS

Last edited:
Reactions: TedSmithers
Regarding the Bellarmine vs Franklin [Elk Grove] game next week. Franklin won its opening game last nite by defeating Clovis North by 30-24.

From my review of the Bells & Franklin I commented that the 2 teams were rated about even in pre-season rankings/ratings with Franklin actually having an edge in the upcoming game [while I am picking Bells]. I saw a few highlights of the Franklin-Clovis North game and both teams were primarily running the ball. What's interesting is I expected Franklin to win this game by at least 2-TD's. Clovis North is in somewhat of a reload year and was not rated nearly as good as last season and similar to the lower ranking teams in the WCAL. What Franklin's 30-24 win tells us is that either Clovis North is much better than expected or possibly Franklin played down to their competition last nite. Looking at Franklin's D-line it appears that Bellarmine should be able to run against them. Game next Friday nite at Bells.

WCAL 2015 Football: Upcoming Preview Serra vs DLS

So for those of you who did not watch last nites game it will change my preview of the upcoming game vs Serra somewhat.
Last nites game was not the De La Salle team fans are used to watching. This looked like a very good team playing their first game of the season and making the common mistakes most teams make: sloppy tackling, fumbles, Int's, penalties and not much of a passing game including dropped passes. This is not to give credit to the Texas Trinity team who played tough & took advantage of every mistake DLS made. The difference makers for Trinity were RB Ja'Ron Wilson who was as good as advertised and simply ran through DLS tacklers. That & the Trinity QB Tyler Natee, a bruising 239 LB former stud fullback who was next to impossible to bring down. As good as the Euless-Texas team was it will be a debate of whether DLS gave this game away with mistakes or Trinity actually is the better team. As for myself I would rather see Serra play DLS than Euless if that answers the question - DLS simply could not stop their run game as it was that good.

DLS's running game seems as good as always and Antoine Custer was brilliant, picking up where he left off last season. Unfortunately Custer seemed to be the majority of DLS's firepower. DLS's QB Sweeney is a very good running QB, but was "off the mark" so to speak in the passing dept. Sweeney can't take all the blame however as DLS's most sure-handed WR dropped a certain TD pass in the 2nd 1/2. As the game wore down with DLS trailing the Spartans used a trick play using their highly touted TE/DE Devan Asiasi to throw a pass - the only problem being Asiasi is not very accurate & overthrew the open receiver. Regardless DLS is still an excellent football team and likely will watch game film of last nites debacle until the players eyes bleed. Serra will obviously still have its hands full, but at least know the Spartans coming to San Mateo are human after all.

Last edited:
Serra will obviously still have its hands full, but at least know the Spartans coming to San Mateo are human after all.

DeLa could be even more dangerous than if they escaped with a win last night. Should be a great game this Fr night on W. 20th Ave.

DeLa could be even more dangerous than if they escaped with a win last night. Should be a great game this Fr night on W. 20th Ave.

jordan - I could not agree with you more. Something along the lines of "an animal is most dangerous when wounded".
DeLa is now 0-1 which we know has "Spartan-Nation" in shock somewhat. The "Green Machine" will be motivated to prove to the nation
that the loss to Trinity was a fluke & due to their own sloppy play & mistakes. Unfortunately Serra is next in line as their opponent [ie "victim"].
Spartans will come to San Mateo hungry and the Padres are the main course

Last edited:
Serra should be preseason #1 or #2 in the CCS (toss up between Serra and Bellarmine depending on who you talk to) so I'm interested in seeing how the DLS game plays out, but I still see DLS winning big. Athletes like Custer just dominate at the high school level, he'll run for 200 yards and a couple of TDs.

I'm more interested in seeing how Bellarmine does vs Franklin and Del Oro. All three teams seem to be rated roughly about the same going into the season, but Del Oro has 16 starters back from a team that played the schedule of death last year. I'd like to see Bellarmine split but I can also see them dropping both games if they fall behind and can't control the ball like they need to.

WCAL 2015 Football - Preview of first games: Serra vs De La Salle

Game Friday nite Sept. 11th Serra in San Mateo
Last Year's Game: DLS 41-13
2014 Records = Serra 7-4 and DLS 14-0

Serra lost to DLS, Notre Dame [Sherman Oaks], Mitty & Los Gatos

Serra JV Record for 2014 = 3-7
DLS JV Rcord for 2014 = 10-1

Players to watch for Serra:
WCAL Soph of the Year Siteleki Nunn, 5'10-170, QB,RB,WR,DB, KR a multi-talented player who is good at all the positions shown, WCAL Junior of the Year Kelepi Lataimua 5'8-190, RB,DB,Punter an explosive RB who is Serra's fastest player, Brandon Monroe 6'1-170, WR, KR, Hunter Bishop 6'4-180 - WR moved from QB who is tall & athletic & should provide another good target, Rory Uniacke 6'1-200, WR,LB and that is just on offense. Serra returns several key players on defense incl. Billy Tuitavake 6'2-230, DL/DE, Kwame Jones 6'2-210, OL/DE, TC Lavulo 5'10-195, RB,LB. Serra has one of the better rosters I've seen except for the year they won the CCS Open in 2013. The roster has a lot of returning players including at the skill positions, good speed and decent size on its O/D-lines.

Players to watch for De La Salle: De La Salle like Serra returns a large quantity of players from their 2014 state championship team that went 14-0. They also get added help from last season's that went 10-0. The entire backfield returns with QB Anthony Sweeny who did not throw much last season alternating with the senior QB Vanderklugt. Sweeny's numbers passing were 28/49 for 568 yards - 57% completion ratio, 5 TD's & 2 Int's with 115 QB rating. De La Salle's bread & butter on offense of course are its 2 returning RB's which both contributed equally last season. Antoine Custer who just had a big game against Trinity in Texas had 1949 yards last season with a 10.5 APC, 139 YPG & 24 TD's. The other #2 RB Hernandez had 1800 yards, 11.4 APC, 129 YPG & 30 TD's. Great numbers for any RB, but together they total 3750 yards + 54 TD's which is hard to imagine. Devin Asiasi [6'4-265] is one of their 2-way players at TE & DE and will pressure Serra's QB while DLS's sack leader from last season returns in Damon Wiley [6'0-235] on the D-Line. Another 2-way is Boss Tagaloa [6'2-305] on OL& DL and is the first ever 4 year player on varsity football at DLS.The 2 primary WR's are Asiasi & Vanderklugt.

Game Review:
DLS was rated at 87 in team strength pre-season, while Trinity who just beat the Spartans was rated at 61 and the Serra Padres come in at 42. Serra has a very good roster while DLS has an exceptional roster. Serra's roster looks to be deep, but again the DLS roster is deeper. Serra roster is similar to last season with not much help from its 3-7 JV team while DLS gets additional quality depth from its 10-0 JV team. The DLS game plan doesn't change much season to season and centers around the run with an occasional pass and a strong defense. Serra will need to start the game fast and coach Walsh will likely mix up the run & pass plays. Kicking and special teams for Serra will be huge for Serra in trying to maintain field position. Custer & Hernandez will gain yards behind the big DLS O-line, but Serra's D must limit the big runs for long TD's. Since DLS does not pass much attempting under 10 passes per game [similar to some WCAL teams], Serra will likely have to gamble a bit with its secondary to attempt to contain DLS run game. Serra used 2 QB's in 2014 as did DLS and will be interesting to see how Serra's QB operates in this first game. Serra has several RB's with varsity experience including 3 year player Kelepi Lataimua to go with 4 good WR's all of whom are over 6'0 tall. Serra's Siteleki Nunn could ne perhaps the X-factor and will need a good showing to keep the game close. How many big plays Serra can muster against a DLS team with a game under their belts remains to be seen. DLS lost its first game and will be motivated to play their best in this game.

Prediction: DLS 45 - 17

Next Up: SHC vs Terra Nova

Always a challenge to play in San Mateo- although DLS gets a little break by playing Friday night instead of on a hot afternoon game on Saturday. Walsh typically coaches up the Serra defense to give DLS o line fits. Then it is up to DLS to adjust if they can. Sweeney at the helm makes DLS multi faceted with both his ability to run and pass. He made a couple of poor throwing decisions vs Trinity, but I would expect he improves each week.

I thought DLS o line played really well vs Trinity. DLS averaged over 8 YD's per carry vs a good Trinity defense- love to see how Serra fairs in that department. Trinity did a nice job vs the dive but got beat consistently on the edges.

The DLS defense obviously needs to improve. The Spartan D line was awesome but the back 7 were awful in run support. Thought the secondary played well in coverage which will be needed this week vs Serra's play makers. I expect to see up to 5 different starters on defense this week for DLS based on injuries and play vs Trinity.

Great challenge for the Green Machine.

Serra has the tools to score as many as 27 or 28 points vs. DLS. That includes special teams. The huge question marks for the Padres will be on defense (Serra is not blessed with a lot of depth in either interior line) and the overall kicking game. Stopping DLS is a very big problem. They consume the clock and wear teams down. Serra is going to be more of a quick-strike team with their array of athletes. Oh, and that perennial Serra turnover issue also looms. DLS by 10-12 or so, maybe 39-27. An upset is doubtful but not totally out of the question. We'll see.

paul_johnson - some good points & perspectives in your post. Those high 8-9-10 APC rushes for DLS are def a concern for the Padre defense & likely they'll have to gamble at times [& we know what can happen when you gamble]. DLS will be tough to run against & Serra will likely pass more than Trinity, so will be interesting to see how Serra's tall WR's match up with the DLS secondary.

colhenry - I agree with you that Serra has some very good skill players & capable of big plays if they can avoid the turn-overs. If its a 4-5 Serra turn-over game then not close. Serra will likely need to play mistake free football and come up with a few big plays to counter Custer/Hernandez.
If Serra does not have success stopping the run early it could be a long evening in San Mateo. Field position is critical and uncertain if Serra has improved its poor kicking game from last season which is important. I did see DLS returned their punter from last season who averaged 40 yards per punt [so edge DLS on punts]. It will be interesting to see what kind of game plan DLS alum Coach Walsh for Serra comes up with.

Last edited:
Agree with everything you said. No argument at all. As you noted earlier, this is Serra's NorCal bowl game since there will be no post-season (at least that's what it looks like). As for DLS, I am curious to see if they come out fired-up and focused or depressed and distracted by what transpired in the Lone Star State. These are 16- and 17-year-olds after all.

colhenry I am as curious as yourself to see how the Spartans respond, but somehow believe they will come in motivated and stick to the principles they are taught as a team. There are some "fans" who are taking great glee in the DLS loss, while the true fans always root for the home team & appreciate just how special the DLS program is. We all know DLS is a great team/program this season and that the game they lost could have gone either way on just a few plays. I'm looking forward to the DLS vs Serra game Friday nite and the huge amount of excitement it brings to the mid-peninsula. Friday nite lights in San Mateo will be fun.

I have never understood the habit of taking pleasure in the pain of others. There's a long German word for this but I can't spell it.

Riordan will beat SHP this year, convincingly. The boys on Phelan won't have to outplay their own coaching this year.

Riordan 24 - SHP 14

WCAL 2015 Football - Preview of first games: SHC vs Terra Nova of the PAL Bay League

Game Time: Friday nite 7:00 @ Kezar Stadium, SF
2014 Records = SHC 3-7 and Terra Nova 7-6 [* Terra Nova won the CCS Div. IV Championship]

SHC JV Record for 2014 = 5-5
Terra Nova JV Rcord for 2014 = 5-4-1

Players to watch for SHC Irish:

RB Jamar Williams-Sheppard [6-1, 210], Ronan Murphy RB/WR/LB [6'3 - 215] *Murphy noted as injured on another post, Jay Na RB/DB [5'10-175] and Keith Ismael OL/DL [6'3 - 280], along with Emiliano Salazar FB/LB [5'11 - 200] & George Stefko - new QB/DB [5'11 - 180] -last year's back-up to Logan White.

Players to watch for Terra Nova: The Tigersharks are def in a rebuilding year in 2015 having lost all but one of their skill players including their record setting QB Anthony Gordon. The Terra Nova stats & roster did not show anyone listed as a back-up QB for last season, so likely the QB replacing Gordan will be up from the JV ranks. Terra Nova;s best returning player is Randal Auelua [5'11-200] who is a 2-way player but contributes primarily on offense as RB. Last season Auelua rushed 180/1014 yards with a 5.6 APC, 7-TD's averaging 92 yards per game. One WR with varsity experience who should also contribute is Anthony Fretty [6'1-180]. There will be a lot of new faces starting facing SHC this Friday nite.

Game Review:
SHC comes into this game rated slightly higher than last season while Terra Nova shows a significant drop off in overall team talent & experience. The Irish have a much tougher schedule than Terra Nova and are projected as the favorite in only 2 games this season and this is one of those 2 games. Terra Nova being in the PAL Bay League is projected to go 5-5 this season. In this game SHC is deeper, more experienced with better skill players and will have a better defense. The one question mark for the Irish is QB and how that player will perform at that position. The Irish posses the ability to run well, but will need to compliment that with some sort of passing game. Terra Nova relied heavily on the pass last season mainly due to its excellant QB Gordan. With Gordan gone along with their top WR"s Terra Nova's pass game will likely regress to that of the rest of the PAL teams [ie: will rely much more on the run this season]. The Irish should cruise in this game and anything less than a convincing win will be cause for concern.

Prediction: SHC 35-14

Next Up: St. Francis vs Oak Grove

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Riordan will beat SHP this year, convincingly. The boys on Phelan won't have to outplay their own coaching this year. Riordan 24 - SHP 14

graphics-lol-790443.gif

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Thanks Cheers & CH. The link didn;t work for me so looked up: IMO there was way too much Schdenfreude expressed on several post threads by a few individual "fans" gleefully happy that DLS lost [in a close game BTW]. I use the term "fans" loosely based on their comments in regards to high school football players [ie: you cheer for the winner & you cheer for the loser at the end of the game].

Schadenfreude (/ˈʃɑːdənfrɔɪdə/; German:[ˈʃaːdn̩ˌfʁɔʏdə] ( listen)) is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.[1] This word is taken from German and literally means "harm-joy". It is the feeling of joy or pleasure when one sees another fail or suffer misfortune. An English term of similar meaning is "to gloat"; which means to feel, or express, great, often malicious, pleasure, or self-satisfaction at another's failure.[2]

WCAL 2015 Football - Preview of first games: SHC vs Terra Nova of the PAL Bay League

Game Time: Friday nite 7:00 @ Kezar Stadium, SF
2014 Records = SHC 3-7 and Terra Nova 7-6 [* Terra Nova won the CCS Div. IV Championship]

SHC JV Record for 2014 = 5-5
Terra Nova JV Rcord for 2014 = 5-4-1

Players to watch for SHC Irish:

RB Jamar Williams-Sheppard [6-1, 210], Ronan Murphy RB/WR/LB [6'3 - 215] *Murphy noted as injured on another post, Jay Na RB/DB [5'10-175] and Keith Ismael OL/DL [6'3 - 280], along with Emiliano Salazar FB/LB [5'11 - 200] & George Stefko - new QB/DB [5'11 - 180] -last year's back-up to Logan White.
Prediction: SHC 35-14

Next Up: St. Francis vs Oak Grove

Also watch for sophs #6 Jamal Lavallier, RB/DB and #21 A'reon Mitchell, WR/DB. Two other linemen came up from last season's 6-3 Frosh squad.

I like that prediction too.

WCAL 2015 Football - Preview of first games: St. Francis vs Oak Grove

Game Time: Friday nite 7:00 pm @ Oak Grove
Last Season's Game = SF 28-0 over Oak Grove
2014 Records = SF = 9-4 & CCS DII Championship, Oak Grove 7-4
SF JV Record for 2014 = 8-2
Oak Grove JV Record for 2014 = 6-4

Players to watch for SF Lancers:
The Lancer's return the key piece of the offense in QB Kamalii Akina [5'11- 165] along with their top RB Lutoviko Ahoia [5'9 - 195], Darious Thomas - WR [6'1-160] their deep threat from last season, Kevin Glajchen - TE/LB [6'2-220] who is their best returning defensive player, Bennett Williams - DB [5'11-180] a soph last season who will be worth watching. SF returns key skill players incl. one of the most efficient QB's in WCAL and a solid defense with added help from an 8-2 JV team.

Players to watch for Oak Grove: The Eagles return 15 starters from last years 7-4 team which includes 6 players on offense and 9 on defense and therefore a plus rating over last years team. Top players are 2 way player Anu Tuiono [5'10-200] RB/DB who lays well both ways and ran for 541 yards in '14, Rassan Fontenette [5'8-175] RB who added another 525 yards in '14 so Oak Grove will be solid at the RB position with 2 quality RB's. Another player on D is Dillan Missalefua [6'4-270] O/D-lines of whihc both O+D-lines will be solid with returning starters. The Eagles will have a new QB which is likely Frank Salazar unless an underclassman steps in. In either case Salazar had limited exposure at the varsity level and that will be their biggest challenge as they lose the top WR's to graduation.

Game Review: Both teams come into this game rated as slightly better than last season. SF defeated OG by blanking them 28-0 and then finishing strong with a DII CCS Championship. The advantage is at the skill positions with SF returning their QB Akina along with their top RB & one of their top WR's. Oak Grove will be solid on lines, bt will be tough to score against the Lancers D. SF should be able to control the ball on offense + clock time which could wear down the Oak Grove D in the 2nd 1/2. SF is favored in this game and it will take an outstanding effort for Oak Grove to pull the upset. If Oak Grove gets big numbers from its 2 RB's via their O/Line then they have a chance.

Prediction: SF 21-7

Next Up: St. Ignatius vs Campolindo

WCAL 2015 Football - Preview of first games: St. Francis vs Oak Grove

Game Time: Friday nite 7:00 pm @ Oak Grove
Last Season's Game = SF 28-0 over Oak Grove
2014 Records = SF = 9-4 & CCS DII Championship, Oak Grove 7-4
SF JV Record for 2014 = 8-2
Oak Grove JV Record for 2014 = 6-4

Players to watch for SF Lancers:
The Lancer's return the key piece of the offense in QB Kamalii Akina [5'11- 165] along with their top RB Lutoviko Ahoia [5'9 - 195], Darious Thomas - WR [6'1-160] their deep threat from last season, Kevin Glajchen - TE/LB [6'2-220] who is their best returning defensive player, Bennett Williams - DB [5'11-180] a soph last season who will be worth watching. SF returns key skill players incl. one of the most efficient QB's in WCAL and a solid defense with added help from an 8-2 JV team.

Players to watch for Oak Grove: The Eagles return 15 starters from last years 7-4 team which includes 6 players on offense and 9 on defense and therefore a plus rating over last years team. Top players are 2 way player Anu Tuiono [5'10-200] RB/DB who lays well both ways and ran for 541 yards in '14, Rassan Fontenette [5'8-175] RB who added another 525 yards in '14 so Oak Grove will be solid at the RB position with 2 quality RB's. Another player on D is Dillan Missalefua [6'4-270] O/D-lines of whihc both O+D-lines will be solid with returning starters. The Eagles will have a new QB which is likely Frank Salazar unless an underclassman steps in. In either case Salazar had limited exposure at the varsity level and that will be their biggest challenge as they lose the top WR's to graduation.

Game Review: Both teams come into this game rated as slightly better than last season. SF defeated OG by blanking them 28-0 and then finishing strong with a DII CCS Championship. The advantage is at the skill positions with SF returning their QB Akina along with their top RB & one of their top WR's. Oak Grove will be solid on lines, bt will be tough to score against the Lancers D. SF should be able to control the ball on offense + clock time which could wear down the Oak Grove D in the 2nd 1/2. SF is favored in this game and it will take an outstanding effort for Oak Grove to pull the upset. If Oak Grove gets big numbers from its 2 RB's via their O/Line then they have a chance.

Prediction: SF 21-7

Next Up: St. Ignatius vs Campolindo
Nice preview as always, but the only thing I question is the score. This one will be over at halftime! For those who have not seen Thomas SF wr they will be in for a treat if thrown to. He has the speed, size, hands, and leaping ability to cause any DB problems. I believe he is a division 1 wr. Defense is stacked with skill players up from JV. Their dbs are ball hawks and can come up and make tackles. It will be a long and when I say long, I mean a LONG night for the Eagles. SF 42 Oak Grove 10

PAL95 - I resisted my initial urge to go with a 35-7 score on this one, so understand your sentiments completely. Its a first game and often teams O aren't often in sync. Not familiar with Thomas so will be interested to see him in action. If SF comes out like they did in the last game of last season then Oak Grove will not be able to muster much offense IMO. Oak Grove does return 9 starters on D so it should not be a cake-walk for the Lancers. If SF up early then starters will get a rest and will likely keep score down. You just never know with these first games...

WCAL 2015 Pre-Season Preview: St. Ignatius vs Campolindo [SI "Wildcats" vs Campo "Cougars"]

Game Time: SI @ Campolindo Sept. 4th Friday nite 7:00 PM
2014 Season Team Records = SI 7-6 and Campo = 16-0 ** Div III State Champ

SI JV Record = 5-5
Campo JV Record =
9-1

SI Players to Watch: From stats SI returns: Xavier Tharpe, RB [5’9-165] who rushed for 500 yards, Peter Katz, DB/QB [6’0-190], Jack Mckeon, DE/TE [6’1-190], and Spencer Sinclair, LB [6’0-210]. SI loses almost all its skill players incl. top notch QB, WR's, KR & kicker. Lots of inexperience and new starters for this season.

Campolindo Players to Watch: Campo returns 7 starters along with their back-up QB who saw varsity action last season and a plethora of soph's & junior's who also saw playing time on varsity. Although Campolindo returns few starters the team has a very deep roster and is rated higher than either the Bells or Serra & projected to go unbeaten in 2015. Top players include Sterling Strother [6'5-250] OL/DL, Max Flower [6'4-210] WR,
Jack Cassidy [6'0-215] LB/FB. The QB will likely be Jacob Westphal who saw limited action, but did well when he was in games. It is not likely Campo will pass as much ior as efficiently as last season when they threw for 3700 yards & 37 TD's with only 10 Int's averaging 235 PPG & 200 rushing per game.

Game Review: Somewhat of a tough game to analyze as both teams lose just about all their skill players and most starters. Campolindo plays in the Diablo Foothill League and has a much less grinding schedule than SI in the WCAL. Last season as well Campo had a less than terrifying schedule, but most wins were by comfortable margins and they went on to beat a very good El Capitan team from SoCal in the Div III State Championship, so 16-0 is nothing to sneeze at. It is difficult though to imagine Campo as rated significantly higher than either the Bells or Serra and IMO they will not be as good as either of the top WCAL teams. So based upon last season's team results and talent from the upcoming JV team Campo should be favored by 14+ in this game. SI last season was a very good team despite their 7-6 record, but is reloading at all the important skill positions. If SI puts forth a good defensive effort esp. against the run then this game should be closer than the spread. Campo looks to already have the edge at the QB position simply based on varsity experience & if Campo can sucessfully pass against an inexperienced SI secondary it could be a long evening. SI always puts some good athletes on the field and is well coached, but can they stay with a Campolindo team that also matches up with them very well in those same departments. SI will need to score 21+ in this won to have a solid chance.

Prediction: Campolindo 28 -14

Next Up: Valley Christian vs Pioneer

Reactions: TedSmithers
It is difficult though to imagine Campo as rated significantly higher than either the Bells or Serra and IMO they will not be as good as either of the top WCAL teams.

I was able to see a Campo, Bellermine, and Serra play last year and Campo was indeed the strongest of the three and with their run through the playoffs and SBG their rating spiked so it is not unreasonable at this point of the season to have them rated above them. Those rankings are biased by the previous year's results. If they aren't as good the power ranking will even out after a few games. I personally believe SI will be lucky to be within two scores at the end of this one.

I was able to see a Campo, Bellermine, and Serra play last year and Campo was indeed the strongest of the three and with their run through the playoffs and SBG their rating spiked so it is not unreasonable at this point of the season to have them rated above them. Those rankings are biased by the previous year's results. If they aren't as good the power ranking will even out after a few games. I personally believe SI will be lucky to be within two scores at the end of this one.

2wcats: You made good points as I saw the Campo - El Capitan state title game & agree with you likely Campo was the strongest of the 3 teams in discussion at that time. At the same time while the rankings are somewhat biased by the previous year Campo is still rated very high especially as a Div III team.Campo's roster indicates they lost essentially all their skill players and return few starters, so this Campo team is a different team altogether than last season. My guess is as state champs that lends to the rating/ranking as well. While rated higher than Bells or Serra they are significantly higher than both VC or SF which I would say are probably as good as this year's Campo team. So IMO Campo is somewhere in the upper tier of teams in the WCAL, but would not be dominate as their rating might suggest. Campo +2 TD's & no more than 3 [we'll see].

2wcats: You made good points as I saw the Campo - El Capitan state title game & agree with you likely Campo was the strongest of the 3 teams in discussion at that time. At the same time while the rankings are somewhat biased by the previous year Campo is still rated very high especially as a Div III team.Campo's roster indicates they lost essentially all their skill players and return few starters, so this Campo team is a different team altogether than last season. My guess is as state champs that lends to the rating/ranking as well. While rated higher than Bells or Serra they are significantly higher than both VC or SF which I would say are probably as good as this year's Campo team. So IMO Campo is somewhere in the upper tier of teams in the WCAL, but would not be dominate as their rating might suggest. Campo +2 TD's & no more than 3 [we'll see].

Yeah it's the playoff wins and the SBG win that really spiked Campo's rating and it just carries over into the next year. I don't think they are as good as their rating either but I understand why they are. Can't trust the power ratings until a couple games into the season and even then they are still a bit biased by the starting point, but by the time game six or better they are pretty good.
I wouldn't buy the difference between SF and VC either, but SF's rating is spiked by their playoff run and therefore they are rated close to 6 points higher than VC to start. I think you had them finishing 3/4 or 4/5 in the WCAL with SF ahead of VC. I would flip them and believe VC will finish above SF. Let the season start and see who guessed right!

Yes I have SF ahead of VC for one simple reason: QB Kamali Akina the #2 rated passing QB in WCAL last season and returns as the #1 rated passing QB in league this season. Below is part of my recent post with predicted finish for the WCAL.

Rmbr26 "Unconventional" Prediction of League Finish

1] Serra:
it is a close call between Serra & the "favored by everyone Bells". In reviewing the stats & players and last year's meeting between the 2 teams they both largely return much of those same teams. All Serra's wins were by double digits incl, the win over the Bells. If Serra can hang onto the ball & not self destruct with 3-5 turn-overs per game they win.

2] Bellarmine: Tons of talent, lots of starters return & speed, speed & more speed. So how could I pick Serra over the Bells? In a straight player by player comparison the Bells appear to have the better offense [as they would against most teams in NorCal]. On the defensive side of the ball Serra appears to have the edge. Bells have a lot, but Serra appears to have just a bit more. Bells won 5 games in 2014 by 3-points in each game.

3] St. Francis: returning QB, good depth and 2 close losses which would have made Lancers 11-2 last season. Closed out 2014 with impressive win over Mitty to win Div. II. My 2015 "Dark Horse" for WCAL crown.

4] Valley Christian: lots of high rankings again this pre-season and only 2nd to Bells in most rankings projections.
This was the case also in 2013 & 2014 which were somewhat disappointing season's for the VC Warrior's. Warrior's had 4 exceptional RB's in 2014 and a 2nd year QB. This season they have 1 of those RB's returning & a new QB. Both JV & Frosh were strong teams at their levels, but can VC be better than 2014?

5] Mitty: by default Mitty comes in between the upper ranked tier teams and possibly the lower 3. There is a question of course of whether the talented QB transfer from Fremont will step in & perform as he did last season. WCAL teams don't pass much & this is a new system for one Philip Tran, so possibly a difficult transition.

6] Riordan: yes I have Riordan Crusader's at #6 and NO I am not drinking [yet]. Riordan has a returning QB who is capable and a number of other talented skill players, a relatively full roster AND a new coach which spells improvement at every level. If the Crusader's are going to turn the corner anytime soon this is it. They must win the close games this time around & want it more than the other team. Mantra this season Crusader players & coaches - "one game at a time, one game a a time, one game at a time".....each one counts, each one counts, each one counts...

7] St. Ignatius: everything points to a rebuilding year for S.I. this season. SI finished 7-6 last season losing many close games [but still losing]. The St. Mary's game was unbelieveable and showed what they were capable at their highest level. SI loses vertually all their skill players including the best throwing QB in the WCAL in Ryan Hagfeldt as well as the WCAL's best kicker. Lack of experience on both O & D are def concerns. As for QB the listed back-up for 2014 is shown as not attempting a single pass - which is 1-less than the projected SHC QB [all coaches note: put back-up QB in whenever possible].

8] SHC: Sorry Irish, but with 2 consecutive losses to Riordan it just doesn;t look like it gets any easier this season. SHC has the least amount of varsity players returning at 14, which is less than 1/2 that of some upper tier teams. SHC has a number of quality returning players particularly at RB [but are there enough of them?]. In a nutshell SHC seems to be lacking in sheer numbers in terms of talent. Logan White will be missed ie: as with Ryan Hagfeldt's back-up as SHC coaches also felt their back-up QB didn't need to attempt more than one pass in 2014. Simply said the Irish need more horses & a QB with varsity experience at this level. I root for the Irish whevever possible so maybe they'll prove me wrong.

WCAL 2015 Pre-Season Preview: Valley Christian vs Pioneer

Game Time: VC @ Pioneer [San Jose] Sept. 4th Friday nite 7:00 PM
2014 Season Team Records = VC 9-3 and Pioneer 9-3

VC JV Record = 9-1
Pioneer JV Record = 6-4

Players to watch for VC
: Collin Johnson WR [6'5-210] who can catch anything thrown his way, Levi Johnson T-OL/DL [6'1-277], Morian Walker [6'1-205] who will take a lead roll playing both sides as RB & DB, Travis Tuitele RB [5'8 - 190], Akil JOnes RB/LB [6'1-210] & Brett Batey LB [5'10-230].AT 6'5 Collin Johnson is difficult for most DB's Safeties to defend and VC counted heavily on him last season with 49 passes caught for 921 yards. Cameron Woodard [6'4 - 260] TE should contribute if VC will throw his direction this season [having only thrown to Woodard a handful of times last season]. VC returns its soph kicker from last season in Bailey Schroeder who was very dependable in both punting, kickoffs & FG's.

Players to watch for Pioneer: returns 12 starters of which 7 are on offense and 5 on defense. Pioneer returns it stop RB in Raul Vilituligasen [5'10-180] 134/680 - 5.1 APC last season, both their top WR's in Louis Columne [6'0-180] 53/784 - 14.8 APC - 12 TD's and Elijah Roberts 43/757 - 17.6 APC - 7 TD's. Leading tackler returning on D is David Gonzalez [5'10-185] MLB.

Game Review: Last year's VC blowout win of 55-0 was Pioneer's worst loss of the season of their 3 defeats. Tonites game Pioneer will face VC as their highest ranked openent this season. Pioneer is rated as about the same as last season while VC is rated slightly below last season. VC will have the edge at RB, WR and on Defense. Pioneer has 2 very good WR's, but can their new QB get the ball to them? VC also starts a new QB who will not be pressured to throw many passes as VC tends to rely heavily on the run. When VC does pass their QB will be targeting Colin Johnson [6'5] to go up and grab anything throw in his vicinity over the shorter DB's & safety. Pioneer's goal will be to slow down VC and try to keep the game close. Pioneer has not had good luck in doing just that the last several seasons against WCAL teams. Likely this will lead Pioneer's coaching staff to try some different formations or plays in tonite's opener to throw VC off. If VC marches down field for a TD on their opening drive it sill set the tone for the rest of the game. Likewise Pioneer will need to move the ball early on VC to gain some confidence in a game where they are the heavy underdogs.

Prediction: VC 35-14

Serra vs DLS

And just like that 35-7 at the 1/2 with Serra giving up 21 points off 3 turnovers. Too bad as Serra otherwise looked pretty good, I did predict that if Serra has one of their "famous" 3-5 turnovers this one would not be close. So far the score does not indicate the whole story. I think the teams will settle down in the 2nd 1/2 and should be interesting. BTW - did anyone catch the Serra fumble at the 1-yard line which would have made it 14-7? Both announcers at the 1/2 said Serra's Lataimua was already down when DLS stripped the ball after watching the video. Now that certainly would have made a big difference in the game so far...

Any other scores to report anyone?

SI & CAMPOLINDO TIED 14-14 AT THE 1/2.

Valley Christian up 41-0 at the 1/2 over Pioneer

Last edited:
Bellarmine 42, Franklin 0, 4th

Campolindo 24, St Ignatius 14, 4th

Mitty 38, Los Gatos 16, 4th

Antioch 40, Milpitas 22, 4th - Najee Harris has almost 400 yards rushing...

Last edited:
Whoa! Bells blowing out Franklin is one thing, but Mitty blowing out Los Gatos is a MAJOR upset! WHO is the QB for Mitty???

Hmmm, Milpitas down or Antioch good as Advertised? Look forward to VC playing Miplitas again.... pay-back time?

Suprised by SI tied up with Campo at 1/2 but now looks like Campo pulling away to make my predict of a win by 2 TD's +

Don't know anything about Antioch outside of Najee Harris but the Mercury News had Milpitas pegged at #3 preseason in the CCS -

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/hsspor...-in-the-mercury-news-preseason-rankings-is-2/

Stolen from the Mercury News Live Blog Feed (credit Luke Johnson @Scoop_Johnson) -

Final:Antioch 47 - Milpitas 22

Najee Harris -- 384 rushing yards, 94 receiving yards & 5 TDs. Didn't play in 4th quarter.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT