ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL FOOTBALL : Omission of WCAL's MVP from NorCal Top 50 list [??]

Lots of Broncos fans, so that's probably why boos were heard so loudly. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Brady, but most fans can't stand the New England Patriots-from their arrogant fans, to the tuck rule, spy gate, deflate gate, Kraft-Goodell, etc.

Yes jordan that's what I read in newspaper this morning - about the large Bronco's contingent booing Brady, which like you said viewed iin that light is kinda funny. Like I said I was rootin' for Denver vs New England mostly for Peyton whom I've always liked [in the way he handles himself]. I'm not a fan of Patriot's as Belechik is anything but likeable and the team does have a arrogance about them [which I guess some winning organizations promote?].
Anyway Brady handled himself well after the Bronco's loss and said the Bronco's came up with more big plays than the Patriot's & desreved to win.
I was thoroughly disappointed in Cam Newton's sulking press conference last night where he responded with one word answers before storming out of the press conference. CaM should give credit where credit is due & should have handled it like a man & congratulated Peton and the entire team of Bronco's. Nobody like sour grapes Cam.

NorCalPreps 2017 Top 50 Scouting Report: Glaring Omission of WCAL POY from 2016

So "Top Player" lists are always interesting and will always draw comments/arguments from fans as to how high or low someone is placed or someone omitted who was worthy or recognition.

I read with interest [as always] the NorCalPreps Top 50 list for the upcoming 2017 season and in particular was curious which WCAL players might be included, of which there were 3. Now I understand part of the recognition for the individuals selected is for how they will appeal to coaches at the next level based on size & speed, etc. The surprising item I found appears to simply be a glaring omission of the best player in the WCAL, which goes to show that the person who compiled the list have simply not seen [or at least not seen much of] Serra's Leki Nunn play. IMO Nunn is one of the better players to come out of the WCAL in the last several years and will be a 3-year starter entering his senior year. Sitaleki Nunn is listed at 5'10-175, so a bit on the small size for the next level, but would be rated at the "athlete" position and can play either offense of defense or simply utility. I could see a school such as San Jose State showing interest in Nunn as the SJ Spartan's seem to keep an eye on WCAL player's [SHC's Jamar WIlliams-Sheppard is headed there]. Nunn his soph year played DB, returned KO's & punts [and can punt as well] and later played RB before being returned to his position at QB where he is involved on evey offensive play.

BTW - here are the 3 WCAL player's who WERE selected in the Top 50 list:
#14 - Cyrus Habibi-Lekio, RB St. Francis, 6'1-200, rushing leader for WCAL
#42 - Bennett Wiliams, DB St. Francis, 6'0-185, led WCAL with 9-Int's
#46 - Phillip Tran, QB Mitty, 6'3-215, talented QB who split time last season with Senior Sam Serra

So if there is one thing you can't ignore its stat numbers, which in this case were overlooked somehow in the Top 50 list and here's the important item to remember: Nunn's stats are only for 10-games as Serra was banned from post season play - with some of the other players stats based upon 11-12-13 games including playoffs. Here's a brief run-down of Serra's Leki Nunn.

Started his first varsity game as 15-year old QB vs DLS in 2015 season throwing for 2-TD's in 41-13 loss to DLS, the only QB 1n 2015 to throw for 2-TD's vs DLS. The following season Nunn throws for 3-TD's vs DLS in a 37-21 loss to the Spartan's, again the only QB in the 2016 season to throw for 3-TD's against the state champion Spartan's. Nunn's junior year he is selected as the WCAL POY leading the league in overall yardage: passed for 1766 yards/21-TD's - 115.9 QB Rating for season, rushed for 1068 yards for 7.6 avg and 11-TD's - total of 2834 yards on offense & 32 TD's. Its interesting as Serra did not use Nunn on KO's or punt returns last season apparently trying to prevent injury to the teams most valuable player. Watching Nunn last season was a treat due to his field vision and elusiveness and the reason he was chosen the league's MVP as a junior.

Whomever left Serra's Leki Nunn off the 2017 NorCal Top 50 list evidently slipped on the proverbial banana peel IMO.

Last edited:

So "Top Player" lists are always interesting and will always draw comments/arguments from fans as to how high or low someone is placed or someone omitted who was worthy or recognition.

I read with interest [as always] the NorCalPreps Top 50 list for the upcoming 2017 season and in particular was curious which WCAL players might be included, of which there were 3. Now I understand part of the recognition for the individuals selected is for how they will appeal to coaches at the next level based on size & speed, etc. The surprising item I found appears to simply be a glaring omission of the best player in the WCAL, which goes to show that the person who compiled the list have simply not seen [or at least not seen much of] Serra's Leki Nunn play. IMO Nunn is one of the better players to come out of the WCAL in the last several years and will be a 3-year starter entering his senior year. Sitaleki Nunn is listed at 5'10-175, so a bit on the small size for the next level, but would be rated at the "athlete" position and can play either offense of defense or simply utility. I could see a school such as San Jose State showing interest in Nunn as the SJ Spartan's seem to keep an eye on WCAL player's [SHC's Jamar WIlliams-Sheppard is headed there]. Nunn his soph year played DB, returned KO's & punts [and can punt as well] and later played RB before being returned to his position at QB where he is involved on evey offensive play.

#46 - Phillip Tran, QB Mitty, 6'3-215, talented QB who split time last season with Senior Sam Serra

So if there is one thing you can't ignore its stat numbers, which in this case were overlooked somehow in the Top 50 list and here's the important item to remember: Nunn's stats are only for 10-games as Serra was banned from post season play - with some of the other players stats based upon 11-12-13 games including playoffs. Here's a brief run-down of Serra's Leki Nunn.

Started his first varsity game as 15-year old QB vs DLS in 2015 season throwing for 2-TD's in 41-13 loss to DLS, the only QB 1n 2015 to throw for 2-TD's vs DLS. The following season Nunn throws for 3-TD's vs DLS in a 37-21 loss to the Spartan's, again the only QB in the 2016 season to throw for 3-TD's against the state champion Spartan's. Nunn's junior year he is selected as the WCAL POY leading the league in overall yardage: passed for 1766 yards/21-TD's - 115.9 QB Rating for season, rushed for 1068 yards for 7.6 avg and 11-TD's - total of 2834 yards on offense & 32 TD's. Its interesting as Serra did not use Nunn on KO's or punt returns last season apparently trying to prevent injury to the teams most valuable player. Watching Nunn last season was a treat due to his field vision and elusiveness and the reason he was chosen the league's MVP as a junior.

Whomever left Serra's Leki Nunn off the 2017 NorCal Top 50 list evidently slipped on the proverbial banana peel IMO.

I really hope your brackets worn out, u can only imagine you'd thoughts after.,,but when you're right,you're right

RMBR - I believe this list is for top players recruiting wise because I also don't see how Nunn would not be on this list.

RMBR - I believe this list is for top players recruiting wise because I also don't see how Nunn would not be on this list.

Good to hear from you PAL95. That is my best guess as the writer of the Top 50 for NorCal list are putting a lot of emphasis on size as far as college recruiting. However that being the case there are 3 RB's listed at 5'8-170, 5'9-171, 5'8-175 & a CB at 5'10 -175 which hardly makes them recruiting candidates for USC or Notre Dame [Lol!].
Like I said SJSU seems to have a good handle on recruiting local talent and plenty of Div. II or III's will be interested in these players as well.

Size matters. But so does speed. Nunn would probably end up as a wide receiver, DB, punt returner in college. He's roughly the same size as Julian Edelman, a QB out of Woodside, CSM and Kent State. We know how that turned out in the NFL.

I believe the list is based on college projection. Nunn is definitely a huge impact player and more an athlete. He played QB position he wouldn't play in college but has the skill to play WR/DB, maybe RB at some level. I would have him in as athlete, but who would you replace? It seems all listed deserve to be on list and I believe this is a preseason list. Do you know his recruiting activity? He seems like a Mt West type athlete.

Very good insight from both Colhenry & NorCalSportsFan, 2 of our more knowledgeable posters on the board. I agree with both poster's comments in regards to Nunn and like the Julian Edelman comparison BTW. Edelman at Woodside High had a very forgetful year as a junior and his senior year they went undefeated 14-0 in winning a CCS Division crown. Edelman has since bulked up in his NFL carreer & currently listed at 5'10-200 [while Wes Welker another Edelman clone is listed at 5'9-185].

Not quite sure of Nunn's actual speed as he looks more quick than fast [for those that understand the difference]. Anyone remember Toki Kefu from SMHS? I remember Kefu shredding defenses for 3 years as SM claimed a CCS Division crown his senior year when Kefu became the al-time CCS rushing leader. Now Kefu who I believe coaches currently at SMHS was big enough at 5'10-220 [then], but simply did not posses the speed required for the next level, which for Kefu was Eastern Washington U and returned to his home town after several years in the rain in Washington.

As for Nunn he will likely own some Serra records once he completes his 3rd year as a starter this comiing season. Do I think there are 50 players better than Nunn in NorCal? Not a chance...[on my list he's likely in the top 20].

Yes the list is how a player would project to college (less black and white than just best high school players). Nunn was in the discussion for the Top 50, but ended up just on the outside. I think it is hard to project players correctly when they aren't playing their future position. This is where colleges can get steals.

I respect the knowledge on this board so we will definitely be taking a second look at Nunn.

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks dcpanda for the highlight reel as that is def one of the better ones fans will see & a real treat to watch.
So Nunn was 2nd team All-State, but didn't make the NCP NorCal Top 50?? Man that banana peel is lookin' mighty big & slippery right about now - LOL! [see my inital post on this subject from Sunday to understand].

Evidently Nunn is getting some interest from Pac12 and MW school and schools respectively and looks like at RB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT