ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL in Review - Looking Forward to 2019-20 Season

M-A 67 Serra 54 Final
Theyll beat Mitty too and will setup a showdown with his former mentor and school Riordan in the Final, should they get through their side. Been on MA all year on the PAL thread. Nothing surprising, except finally getting over the top. Theyll be prepared for Mitty. ‘Bear Down!’

Reactions: Renard Monroe
I believe SHC has a second gym where team titles are displayed. Also in the hall leading to gym, title listed on wall.
The banners are in the older gym. The Wall of Champions list the championships by years and the Hall of Fame members are on the lower level. Right now, they're rotating different championship trophies in the trophy cases. They have a swimming trophy from 1933 and a AAA basketball trophy from 1964 on display. The Bruce-Mahoney Trophy is in the main school building.

Well that's surprising in M-A winning comfortably over Serra & by 13 where Padres were a perceived fav in this one.
Just as surprising in SHC building a late lead and holding off for the win against heavily favored Mitty. Bells as fav held off a pesky S.I. by a couple as was expected. Is M-A the dark horse among 1 team shy of the entire WCAL league??

Tonites strong showing vs Serra should be a wake-up call to the other WCAL "favorites"..

M-A by 13 over Padres...

Well that's surprising in M-A winning comfortably over Serra & by 13 where Padres were a perceived fav in this one.
Just as surprising in SHC building a late lead and holding off for the win against heavily favored Mitty. Bells as fav held off a pesky S.I. by a couple as was expected. Is M-A the dark horse among 1 team shy of the entire WCAL league??

Tonites strong showing vs Serra should be a wake-up call to the other WCAL "favorites"..

M-A by 13 over Padres...
M-A’s been there all year. Played a good preseason schedule. Maybe to the players and parents in the stands they were overlooking them, but the coaches know that M-A was more than the ‘other’ team in the Open. Ive been saying since mid-season would love an M-A v Riordan matchup. Too many intriguing story lines, in the forefront and behind the scenes! Bear Down! Except vs Riordan ;)

The Irish played the no one believed in us card. Mitty died by the 3 tonight. SH finally put together a complete game and didn’t falter in the 4th. Great win.

They need to take that momentum and play like no tomorrow again. Great win, they have been close in a lot of the games toward the end, Im glad they put it together at least for one night, one game, and one team!

CCS Open Quarterfinal Scoring Roundup Feb 15th:
@Piedmont Hills HS

(1) Mitty 65 vs (8) SHC 69 - Game of the night! Way to go Irish!!! Would love to hear the details of the game from anyone in attendance. Based on the social media takes - it sounded like Mitty suffered a cold-shooting night and the Irish used balanced scoring from their guards and big guys McCormack and Cheng? Great semi next Wed vs M-A. M-A similar to Mitty's style of play...Will the Luck of the Irish prevail once again! Have a night Irish!

@ Fremont-Sunnyvale HS (First game)
(4) Menlo-Atherton 67 vs (5) Serra 54 - Second best game of the night! Serra grad Barry Bonds in the house to root for both his alma mater and good friend, M-A coach Molieri.
M-A is the real deal as it pulled away from Serra in the final quarter to win going away. Solid D and 3-point shooting from the Bears as the Padres simply could not match M-A's scoring - particularly the 3. Good to see the refs let the teams play as it was a physical yet cleanly play game. Up next - SHC Irish!

Back @Piedmont Hills HS (1st game)
(3) Bellarmine 57 vs (6) St. Ignatius 54- Bells take a big lead only to hang on as SI loses by a final possession. Would love to hear any takes on the game from anyone who attended. SI's duo of Begovich and Robinson once again lead the 'Cats with Begovich going off for 27 points. Bells hold on in spite of being short a few players due to injury or illness. Game 3 vs Riordan Wednesday night

@ Fremont-Sunnyvale (2nd game)
(2) Riordan 69
vs (7) St. Francis 53 - St. Francis starts off with a 4-guard lineup and catches the Crusaders out of sorts in the first quarter. Riordan counters by going 4-guards as well and substituting freely amongst the guards/wings of Quanico, Henderson, McPherson and Hubbard always keeping a fresh player on the Lancer guards as every shot was contested after the Crusaders sorted out their defense and assignments. Monroe scored with an assorted selection of shots and found open teammates throughout the night. Clark had a good game on D and offense and JT found his shooting touch late in the first period. Jelani appeared to tweak an ankle in the closing minutes so hope he's ready for next Wednesday semi vs the Bells. Riordan displays its versatility in going to a small lineup as this was the best matchup against the Lancers. Gotta say Henderson has been a huge contributor over the past few games! Bigs Johnson, Wilson and Riiny saw very limited time tonight. Great to see Chan in uniform as well as frosh Sean Quanico brought up from JVs and playing during the closing minutes!
Happy President's Weekend Everyone!

CCS Open Semi-finals - Wed Feb 20th @ Independence HS
(2) Riordan vs (3) Bellarmine
(4) Menlo-Atherton vs (8) Sacred Heart Cathedral

Thursday’s consolation games

No. 1 Archbishiop Mitty (17-8) vs. No. 5 Serra (17-8)
No. 6 St. Ignatius (12-14) vs. No. 7 St. Francis (13-12)

2019 CCS Basketball Playoffs/Brackets site:

http://www.cifccs.org/Playoffs/winter_playoff_brackets_-_info

Last edited:
CCS Open Quarterfinal Scoring Roundup Feb 15th:
@Piedmont Hills HS

(1) Mitty 65 vs (8) SHC 69 - Game of the night! Way to go Irish!!! Would love to hear the details of the game from anyone in attendance. Based on the social media takes - it sounded like Mitty suffered a cold-shooting night and the Irish used balanced scoring from their guards and big guys McCormack and Cheng? Great semi next Wed vs M-A. M-A similar to Mitty's style of play...Will the Luck of the Irish prevail once again! Have a night Irish!

@ Fremont-Sunnyvale HS (First game)
(4) Menlo-Atherton 67 vs (5) Serra 54 - Second best game of the night! M-A is the real deal as it pulled away from Serra in the final quarter to win going away. Solid D and 3-point shooting from the Bears as the Padres simply could not match M-A's scoring - particularly the 3. Good to see the refs let the teams play as it was a physical yet cleanly play game. Up next - SHC Irish!

Back @Piedmont Hills HS (1st game)
(3) Bellarmine 57 vs (6) St. Ignatius 54- Bells take a big lead only to hang as SI loses by a final possession. Would love to hear any takes on the game from anyone who attended. SI's duo of Begovich and Robinson once again lead the cats with Begovich going off for 27 points. Bells hold on in spite of being short of few players due to injury or illness. Game 3 vs Riordan Wednesday night

@ Fremont-Sunnyvale (2nd game)
(2) Riordan 69
vs (7) St. Francis 53 - St. Francis starts off with a 4-guard lineup and catches the Crusaders out of sorts in the first quarter. Riordan counters by going 4-guards as well and substituting freely amongst the guards/wings of Quanico, Henderson, McPherson and Hubbard always keeping a fresh player on the Lancer guards as every shot was contested after the Crusaders sorted out their defense and assignments. Monroe scored with an assorted selection of shots and found open teammates throughout the night. Clark had a good game on D and offense and JT found his shooting touch late in the first period. Jelani appeared to tweak an ankle in the closing minutes so hope he's ready for next Wednesday semi vs the Bells. Riordan displays its versatility in going to a small lineup as this was the best matchup against the Lancers. Gotta say Henderson has been a huge contributor over the past few games! Bigs Johnson, Wilson and Riiny saw very limited time tonight. Great to see Chan in uniform as well as frosh Sean Quanico brought up from JVs and playing during the closing minutes!
Happy President's Weekend Everyone!

CCS Open Semi-finals - Wed Feb 20th @ Location TBA (possibly Independence HS?)
(2) Riordan vs (3) Bellarmine
(4) Menlo-Atherton vs (8) Sacred Heart Cathedral

SHC with a GREAT win over Mitty. Irish outplayed Mitty from the tip off. They played solid defense. Had Mitty shooting quick off balanced shots. Took advantage of the fact that Mitty’s key players were in fouls trouble in the 3rd and had to sit for a while. The Irish were up by 16 at one point. Played great team basketball.
Leading scoreswra for the Irish: Reed 14, Flowers 13, Jackson 13.

M-A by 13 over Padres...

It was a back and forth game the entire game. MA was up 4 with 3 minutes to go and pulled away. hardly comfortable. But the better team won. MA is a great team. Serra has two players and not much else.

M-A’s been there all year. Played a good preseason schedule. Maybe to the players and parents in the stands they were overlooking them, but the coaches know that M-A was more than the ‘other’ team in the Open. Ive been saying since mid-season would love an M-A v Riordan matchup. Too many intriguing story lines, in the forefront and behind the scenes! Bear Down! Except vs Riordan ;)

You’re gonna get ur wish!! Light Sabres will be handed out to everyone in attendance, BOOK IT!!

I got to see this SHC team play against my Knights earlier this year. Both teams played a sloppy game, it was at 9am, but I thought SHC came out looking pretty strong. Especially on the boards. That kid Cheng is a solid player, and has a nice frame.

SHC beating Mitty is a huge upset though. Not trying to take a shot at SHC at all, if anything I am giving them credit, but you look at Mitty's schedule and they hardly lost to anyone.

How sweet a CCS Final would it be if we got SH vs. Riordan........I'd pay too see that, and I'm sure I'm not the only one on this board that would!

I got to see this SHC team play against my Knights earlier this year. Both teams played a sloppy game, it was at 9am, but I thought SHC came out looking pretty strong. Especially on the boards. That kid Cheng is a solid player, and has a nice frame.

SHC beating Mitty is a huge upset though. Not trying to take a shot at SHC at all, if anything I am giving them credit, but you look at Mitty's schedule and they hardly lost to anyone.

How sweet a CCS Final would it be if we got SH vs. Riordan........I'd pay too see that, and I'm sure I'm not the only one on this board that would!

This would be pretty incredible and no person would ever predict this outcome and the odds are 50/50 going forward now. SHC has the hot hand.

Last edited:
SHC definitely has a chance to make the CCS Open Final. I saw M-A play Serra tonight, very good team, but lacking in size. Not sure how they will contain McCormack as he is a very good ball handler and can drive or pop the jumper. Cheng has the ability to change shots too. SHC and M-A guards match up very well. Defense will be the deciding factor.

SHC definitely has a chance to make the CCS Open Final. I saw M-A play Serra tonight, very good team, but lacking in size. Not sure how they will contain McCormack as he is a very good ball handler and can drive or pop the jumper. Cheng has the ability to change shots too. SHC and M-A guards match up very well. Defense will be the deciding factor.
And now, this is where coaching makes a difference. Putting together a game plan, where a weakness is certain to be exploited. That said, M-A to pull away for a double digit win at the end. Bear Down till Fri. Nite.

Actually if you were at the first meeting vs Mitty SHC actually played them tough but ran outta gas in the fourth. Should be a good game and I give the edge to SHC over MA in a tight one just because MA will struggle shooting the ball in Independences gym which is know for horrid shooting nights in the playoffs.

FINAL: Irish beat Mitty 69-65.

Irish Jeers the fair weather princess. This dude was on here talking about how basketball season was over after the Bruce, complaining about CCS open and as I stated SHC is right where they should be and CCS got it right. You’re a front running clown who works at SHC. Irish Jeers

Game times have been updated for this Wednesday's games:
CCS Open Semifinals @ Indpendence HS - San Jose Wed, 2/20
(4) Menlo-Atherton vs (8) Sacred Heart Cathedral @ 5:30pm
(2) Riordan vs (3) Bellarmine @ 7:30pm

Thursday’s CCS Open consolation games
(5) Serra (17-8) @ (1) Archbiship Mitty (17-8)
(7) St. Francis (13-12) @ (6) St. Ignatius (12-14)

CCS DII Quarterfinal Tuesday Feb 19th @ 7pm

@ Valley Christian HS
(2) Valley Christian vs winner of Gunn vs (7) Aragon (2/16)

So Riordan beats Bellarmine twice, is seeded higher and essentially has to travel to the Belles home-area for a Semi-Finals game.

CCS....continuing to look like a bunch of geniuses!
At least the Crusaders get the 7:30pm tip-off allowing the fans from SF a slightly more bearable commute down to East San Jose.

So Riordan beats Bellarmine twice, is seeded higher and essentially has to travel to the Belles home-area for a Semi-Finals game.

CCS....continuing to look like a bunch of geniuses!
Remember, CCS covers San Francisco to Monterey. Santa Clara County is reasonable for all. The venues are picked in advance.

Hey guys’ I never reply this’ but Just To Reply you To Crosstown Rival and the the rest of the SH Haters!! The Coaches and Players at SH Basketball team are on a Journey and Ride that NOBODY EVERY EXPECTED’ Beating Mitty was a surprise!! And Long may it last!! You have to give Props to THE MIGHTY UNDER DOGS## Were will you ever see The NUmber one Ranket Team lose to a number 8 team!! Never my friends!!! To All Please Don’t ever forget’ the reason why our kids play sports is because it’s unprecedentedly!!!! Plus Anything CAN HAPPEN AT ANY TIME!!!
On any given day One Team Can beat the Other!! Favorite number 1 seed MITTY were beat by SH the number 8 seed!! Who saw that coming ah!!!! as the number 8 seed!!! If you don’t like’ to put leave this conversation!!! Or Please keep it positive!!!
Don’t forget We are talking about High School kids playing Basketball!! ThisMITTY will not define our kids!!
Enjoy the Ride while it lasts!!!

Reactions: Scott2138
Sorry All! spell check kicked in my last post!!
What I wanted to say Is HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL WILL NOT DEFINE OUR KIDS!! WIN OR LOSE!! The unfortunate part about this is some parents live thier LIVES THROUGH THIER KKDS!!! So a word to all’ Enjoy the Ride’ and be Respectful!!! This time next year who knows we’re we will be!!!
So Please Keep it Positive!!! OUR KIDS ARE READING ALL THE POSTING ON THIS SITE!!
PS— IF YOU THINK OUR KIDS DONT READ THIS YOU DISILLUSIOAL!! Pleas Keep it positive! We all love our kids!!

I've seen very little negative towards the student athletes on this site. In fact, it virtually never happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT