ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL in Review - Looking Forward to 2019-20 Season

Interesting side note SHC's point guard Reed will be playing against his fathers alma mater MA in which Cedric Reed won MA's only State championship against Tracy Murray who went off for 64 I believe in the loss at Oakland Coliseum. I was at that game and that is the one of the best highschool games I have seen until this day.

Last edited:
So Riordan beats Bellarmine twice, is seeded higher and essentially has to travel to the Belles home-area for a Semi-Finals game.

CCS....continuing to look like a bunch of geniuses!
At least the Crusaders get the 7:30pm tip-off allowing the fans from SF a slightly more bearable commute down to East San Jose.
Noooooo gimme the earlier start time to get home earlier hahahahaha

Interesting side note SHC's point guard Pierce will be playing against his fathers alma mater MA in which Cedric Pierce won MA's only State championship against Tracy Murray who went off for 64 I believe in the loss at Oakland Coliseum. I was at that game and that is the one of the best highschool games I have seen until this day.

Do you mean Cedric Reed?

Interesting side note SHC's point guard Reed will be playing against his fathers alma mater MA in which Cedric Reed won MA's only State championship against Tracy Murray who went off for 64 I believe in the loss at Oakland Coliseum. I was at that game and that is the one of the best highschool games I have seen until this day.

What still resonates about Murray's performance is that, frankly, he didn't shoot enough. He kept graciously passing off to inadequate teammates who botched far too many open looks. Murray was nothing if not overly generous in that contest, odd though that may seem given his 64 digits.

Sorry All! spell check kicked in my last post!!
What I wanted to say Is HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL WILL NOT DEFINE OUR KIDS!! WIN OR LOSE!! The unfortunate part about this is some parents live thier LIVES THROUGH THIER KKDS!!! So a word to all’ Enjoy the Ride’ and be Respectful!!! This time next year who knows we’re we will be!!!
So Please Keep it Positive!!! OUR KIDS ARE READING ALL THE POSTING ON THIS SITE!!
PS— IF YOU THINK OUR KIDS DONT READ THIS YOU DISILLUSIOAL!! Pleas Keep it positive! We all love our kids!!

Don't worry about it. The "Eingrich Teecher "doesn't post on this board any more:)

Here's wishing you great hoops

CCS Open Semi-Finals Tonight! Who you Got?!?
CCS Open Semi-Finals are tonight with a doubleheader at Independence HS starting at 5:30pm.
Three (3) WCAL teams remain in Bellarmine, Riordan and Cinderella - SHC! M-A proved it belongs in the Open with its win last Friday vs Serra.

CCS Open Semi-Finals
@Independence HS

(4) Menlo-Atherton vs (8) Sacred Heart Cathedral 5:30pm - Most intriguing game of the night with M-A's versatile, well-coached and athletic group vs. SHC - a huge upset winner over #1 Mitty. The Bears style of play mirror that of the top WCAL schools as they may be undersized, but are well-coached, confident, play tight physical D, all can dribble, pass and shoot the ball and it bench is deep and athletic. On the other side, the Irish saw this type of play virtually the past 14 games in league, so nothing surprises them. Defense and overall execution wins out tonight. Some interesting scenarios are in play - How does SHC exploit their height? Will M-A continue their hot shooting and will their depth win out? Or will it be the luck of the Irish? Winner: Menlo-Atherton

(2) Riordan vs (3) Bellarmine 7:30pm - The third and potentially not the last game against these 2 squads where Riordan took the first two games each by double-digits. The Crusaders have matched up well against the Bells with their speed, length, athleticism and guard play. That worries me! It's always hard to beat a well-coached and deep Bells team. Interestingly, both teams went small last Friday night - Riordan for strategy to counter SF's attack and the Bells out of necessity as it was without its big, Cole. The Bells need to slow down the Crusader attack and force them to play 35 seconds of defense. Riordan needs to be able to execute should it fall into the Bells' deliberate pace of play. Riordan D can force the issue to make the game more uptempo, but will need its bench to make contributions. Not sure the status of Riordan's, Clark, so the rotation needs to be ready. Winner: Riordan.

Prep2Prep CCS Open Semi-Finals Preview:

http://www.prep2prep.com/feature.aspx?ArticleID=26901

Thursday’s consolation games
No. 1 Archbishiop Mitty (17-8) vs. No. 5 Serra (17-8)
No. 6 St. Ignatius (12-14) vs. No. 7 St. Francis (13-12)

2019 CCS Basketball Playoffs/Brackets site:

http://www.cifccs.org/Playoffs/winter_playoff_brackets_-_info

In the off chance the Irish continue this Cinderella push in CCS, there is no chance if they win Open that they will be selected to play in the Open NorCal Division? I would probably hedge my bets on Riordan or Bellarm8ne getting that spot if the Irish manage to win the Open Division...

Bells 26 Riordan 24 at the half. Game being played @ Bells pace.

Wow sounds like a great game! C’mom Crusaders make it 3 in a row over Bells.
I can say that on here as no one from Bellarmine follows sports any more :(

I respect SHC but they will go nowhere near the Open, even if they won the Championship.

It would be a disgrace to see SHC get into the Open at the expense of a school like Branson

Wow this is crazy. SHC making the CCS Open Final and Riordan not. What a crazy way to end the season.

SHC and Bellarmine split the season series. I mean anything can happen, and now IMO I think the WCAL gets zero teams in the CIF Open. If I'm wrong correct me, but I think a lot of those teams are going to be sprinkled in the D1, D2 and D3 divisions.

Reactions: Scott2138
I respect SHC but they will go nowhere near the Open, even if they won the Championship.

It would be a disgrace to see SHC get into the Open at the expense of a school like Branson
Wow this is crazy. SHC making the CCS Open Final and Riordan not. What a crazy way to end the season.

SHC and Bellarmine split the season series. I mean anything can happen, and now IMO I think the WCAL gets zero teams in the CIF Open. If I'm wrong correct me, but I think a lot of those teams are going to be sprinkled in the D1, D2 and D3 divisions.
rank em

Tight game throughout with the Bells outlasting the Crusaders in OT.
Pretty hard to beat a Bells team 3 times in a row, as Bellarmine once again dictated the pace of the game. There were several lead changes during the game. Crusaders held a slim lead in the closing seconds and even had a chance to win it at the end, but could not close out. Riordan defenders caught sleeping on 3 straight pick n rolls that kept the Bells up during the closing min of OT. FTs seal the win. Interesting the Crusaders only went with 7 players, with the Bells substituting freely. Next up for the Bells - a finals date with SHC a decisive winner over Menlo-Atherton.
Next up for the Crusaders: Await their seedings in NorCal - Could be blessing in disguise as they do not qualify for the Open and will likely be a high seed in D1.

I’ll call it MacKay Magic. He did this with his teams prior at San Leandro. Made deep runs with a roster of kids that just play hard and they finally have put together a complete 32 min game where during the season, they couldn’t get over that dreaded 4th quarter.

Friday’s championship should be another nail-biter. Bellarmine lost to SH without two of their top players but you can throw that out the window for Friday. SH is clicking on all cylinders. In the event SH wins I don’t see them getting pulled into open. Will likely be in D3.

Riordan with a fortuitous loss may be placed in favorable D1. I like their chances in D1. Mitty and Bellarmine will likely be in D1 as well.

Lastly, amazing that this SH team last year with 2 bonafide college bound players lost in the semis of a lower tiered division, but this year without those same two players advance one round further at the top division. (Head scratching)

SH is clicking on all cylindIn the event SH wins I don’t see them getting pulled into open. Will likely be in D3.

Riordan with a fortuitous loss may be placed in favorable D1. I like their chances in D1. Mitty and Bellarmine will likely be in D1 as well.

So you really don’t think any CCS team will be placed into the Open this year? And that even if SH wins the CCS Open, they’ll get put all the way down into D3? We’ll see, but that would be shocking in both instances, especially with this competitive equity model.

So you really don’t think any CCS team will be placed into the Open this year? And that even if SH wins the CCS Open, they’ll get put all the way down into D3? We’ll see, but that would be shocking in both instances, especially with this competitive equity model.[/QUO

I’ll call it MacKay Magic. He did this with his teams prior at San Leandro. Made deep runs with a roster of kids that just play hard and they finally have put together a complete 32 min game where during the season, they couldn’t get over that dreaded 4th quarter.

Friday’s championship should be another nail-biter. Bellarmine lost to SH without two of their top players but you can throw that out the window for Friday. SH is clicking on all cylinders. In the event SH wins I don’t see them getting pulled into open. Will likely be in D3.

Lastly, amazing that this SH team last year with 2 bonafide college bound players lost in the semis of a lower tiered division, but this year without those same two players advance one round further at the top division. (Head scratching)

Somebody from CCS Open has to go OPEN. Otherwise what's the point of having an OPEN section. I think Mitty will still go OPEN. SHC win or lose goes D1. It will definitely be interesting.

So you really don’t think any CCS team will be placed into the Open this year? And that even if SH wins the CCS Open, they’ll get put all the way down into D3? We’ll see, but that would be shocking in both instances, especially with this competitive equity model.

I think if Bells win, they’ll be in Open. I just cannot see the committee for lack of better phrase, the sacrificial lamb of SH to a team like Salesian or Sheldon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT