ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL in Review - Looking Forward to 2019-20 Season

It would be incredibly unfair to "reward" an SHC CCS title with an #8 seed in NorCal Open. I don't believe there is any chance it will happen.

I’ll call it MacKay Magic. He did this with his teams prior at San Leandro. Made deep runs with a roster of kids that just play hard and they finally have put together a complete 32 min game where during the season, they couldn’t get over that dreaded 4th quarter.

Friday’s championship should be another nail-biter. Bellarmine lost to SH without two of their top players but you can throw that out the window for Friday. SH is clicking on all cylinders. In the event SH wins I don’t see them getting pulled into open. Will likely be in D3.

Riordan with a fortuitous loss may be placed in favorable D1. I like their chances in D1. Mitty and Bellarmine will likely be in D1 as well.

Lastly, amazing that this SH team last year with 2 bonafide college bound players lost in the semis of a lower tiered division, but this year without those same two players advance one round further at the top division. (Head scratching)

Sean took San Leandro to four Gridley tournaments in a row, 05, 06, 07, 08 and finally won in 08. He started with some great young players and got to the finish line.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Reactions: nostancenochance
The CCS created this scenario. As much as I said I dont believe a team with sub-500 record and losers of 8 of last 10 does not deserve to be in Sectional (Open to boot). Under the current format, if SHC does win CCS Open, you have to include them in Open Bracket. Credit to Irish to playing good consistent ball last two games. I imagine they had an "Oh well, attitude" and relaxed knowing teams would kinda have a looking-ahead mentality.

Reactions: colhenrylives
The CCS created this scenario. As much as I said I dont believe a team with sub-500 record and losers of 8 of last 10 does not deserve to be in Sectional (Open to boot). Under the current format, if SHC does win CCS Open, you have to include them in Open Bracket. Credit to Irish to playing good consistent ball last two games. I imagine they had an "Oh well, attitude" and relaxed knowing teams would kinda have a looking-ahead mentality.

So you would take SHC over Branson as the 8 seed if it came down to it?

It would absolutely disgust me if that happened. And I’m not even a Branson fan!

Sorry but I’ll say it if no one else will the CCS deserves ZERO open teams this year.

Even if Mitty wins they have a bunch of horrible losses!

Whether you agree with it or not, I believe the CCS Open winner will be in.

Sorry but I’ll say it if no one else will the CCS deserves ZERO open teams this year.

Even if Mitty wins they have a bunch of horrible losses!

Part of the fun of NorCals is seeing the best of the SJS, CCS & NCS battle it out. Even though it’s a down year for the CCS, I still want to see their top team in there. Who knows, they might surprise someone? But to put them all in D1 (or D2) against lesser competition takes part of that away, even if one of them goes on a Run in D1.

Ok guys lets just stop with this talk right now whos in and who shouldnt be in. The section finals are this weekend, Let the chips fall where they may at the end of the games.

Honestly I'd like to see Branson get into Open. As of right now there are 3 for sure. Sheldon, Salesian, DLS. In the mix would be Folsom, Fortuna, Branson, Modesto Christian, Logan, Clovis West, and Weston Ranch

Reactions: damim

It would absolutely disgust me if that happened. And I’m not even a Branson fan!

Truth be told. As much as I appreciate Branson. I think they would be better served in Div 1.
More truth be told. " If I were king, and could do anything " I would limit the open to 4 teams up here.

Truth be told. As much as I appreciate Branson. I think they would be better served in Div 1.
More truth be told. " If I were king, and could do anything " I would limit the open to 4 teams up here.

The South has it tougher. Their Open is loaded. Last year their D1 team was Chino Hills and D2 was Crossroads. Both teams with ESPN100 players on their teams as well as 2-3 additional college level players. And that still wasnt good enough to be selected to their Open Division!!! Ridiculous wealth of talent.

Reactions: Renard Monroe

After Salesian, Sheldon, Modesto Christian and DLS - the remaining four NorCal Open teams are wide open. Personally, I would rank Branson lower than a handful of WCAL squads (admitted WCAL bias!). Is it really a foregone conclusion that SHC goes if they manage to beat the Bells? I wouldn't think so....

For the bubble Open teams - would they rather be one n done in Open or potentially make a deep D1 run in NorCals? My preference would be D1 for teams such as Riordan, Dublin, James Logan, Branson et al. instead of being cannon fodder for the likes of Salesian and Sheldon who are clearly the top two NorCal teams. Weston Ranch is highly ranked but they really don't have any signature wins and lost to Mitty albeit very early in the season.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
For the bubble Open teams - would they rather be one n done in Open or potentially make a deep D1 run in NorCals? My preference would be D1 for teams such as Riordan, Dublin, James Logan, Branson et al. instead of being cannon fodder for the likes of Salesian and Sheldon who are clearly the top two NorCal teams.

It’s not about preference. Most teams would rather win a lower bracket against lesser competition than lose in the first round of the Open against the best. There are a lot of considerations for the committee, like no more than 4 teams from any 1 section in the Open. And who knows, a lower seeded Open team could always get hot and shock the world.

Did Branson lose? If so, only as an at-large (if space) and determined against other non sectional championship game losers. If they lost in sectional semi, then definitely no. Again, not everybody earns a cookie. Losses at wrong time hurt.

Last edited:
Did Branson lose? If so, only as an at-large (if space) and determined against other non sectional championship game losers. If they lost in sectional semi, then definitely no. Again, not everybody earns a cookie. Losses at wrong time hurt.

Branson hasn't lost since Gridley.

For the CIF Open you have to include a lot more teams than CCS and NCS. Hence why I don't think any WCAL team is worthy, but to appease people let's add Riordan as a contender for the 8 seed.

1) Salesian
2) Sheldon
3) Winner of NCS D1
4) Winner of NCS D2
5) Loser of NCS D1
6) Modesto Christian
7- Weston Ranch
8: Chose between:
Riordan, Branson, Modesto Christian, and the loser of the NCS D2 game.....It won't be easy

For the CIF Open you have to include a lot more teams than CCS and NCS. Hence why I don't think any WCAL team is worthy, but to appease people let's add Riordan as a contender for the 8 seed.

1) Salesian
2) Sheldon
3) Winner of NCS D1
4) Winner of NCS D2
5) Loser of NCS D1
6) Modesto Christian
7- Weston Ranch
Riordan, Branson, Modesto Christian, and the loser of the NCS D2 game.....It won't be easy

Does ncs really get 4 of the top 5?

Like I said previously, Bellarmine has a couple of bad losses that should keep them out of the Open. Maybe I’m wrong.

1) Salesian
2) Sheldon
3) Winner of NCS D1
4) Winner of NCS D2
5) Loser of NCS D1
6) Modesto Christian
7- Weston Ranch

Unless they've changed the rule, and they might have, no more than 4 teams from any 1 section can be in the Open. Thus, in your scenario the choices would be down to just Riordan and Modesto Christian for the 8th spot.

Also, they try to bracket it so there are no first round games between teams from the same section, so NCS teams in your scenario might be 1) Salesian, 3) D1 winner, 4) or 5) D2 winner and then 7) D1 loser (or Branson).

Unless they've changed the rule, and they might have, no more than 4 teams from any 1 section can be in the Open. Thus, in your scenario the choices would be down to just Riordan and Modesto Christian for the 8th spot.

Also, they try to bracket it so there are no first round games between teams from the same section, so NCS teams in your scenario might be 1) Salesian, 3) D1 winner, 4) or 5) D2 winner and then 7) D1 loser (or Branson).

The only part of the order I can pretty much guarantee is Salesian and Sheldon. Everyone else are so close to each other in terms of SOS and Wins, that it will be very hard for the committee to decide 3-8.

Personally, I just want to see the most deserving teams make it. Just looking over the Bellarmine schedule again, I think the Belles can actually make it if they beat SHC. Didn't realize their losses were mostly conference and they are ranked in the top 40 in California, so if they got in I would be okay with it.

The seeding committee will look at the overall body of work, not just a 3 game Tournament, even if it is CCS Open Division.

Looking at SHC's non-conference schedule shows that they played some really tough opponents:
Stuart Hall
St. Augustine (San Diego)
Harvard-Westlake
Branson
University
Liberty

They had wins over Stuart Hall, University and Liberty. Had they beaten St. Augustine, Harvard-Westlake or Branson, it would be impossible to keep them out of Nor-Cal Open.

Reactions: Joelle80
No other team from the Sac area is being considered for Norcal open except for Sheldon?

The team that makes it out of the Open in the North should compete well against whoever comes out from the south, but it's a completely different road to the finals out there...

27-27 @ The Half. SHC with balanced scoring, crashing the boards and getting contributions from their bench. Bells Denker leading the Bells. Kruse not hitting his shots yet...Really like how SHC uses its bigs in Cheng and McCormack.

38-38 end of 3rd qtr. It’s the Denker show for the Bells. SHC getting great effort from Cheng and McCormack.

Congrats to SHC team and all the doubters....SHC made history tonight, that no other SF Catholic school or public school can claim! Didn't SI with its "loaded teams" lose to Mission and Palo Alto!!!?...It took them awhile but the team got there and won when it mattered playing cohesively. Mackay should get coach of the year with this group that no one and I mean no one including SHC fans would bet on. Congrats to the Irish again!!!

Great win for SHC- They earned it. They get very little support from their school, some alumni quit on them and kids transferred. Finally came together. Congrats.

If you told me from all the teams SH had in the last 20 years that this one and it’s current roster would be the only one to win an Open section title (The WWE Heavyweight Championship Belt), ... ... ... unlikely, improbable, whatever word you can think of. Way to go Irish for doing it for yourselves, your coaches, families and school!

Too bad Smokeeaters closed down right by campus. That would’ve been a great place for the team to go after and celebrate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT