ADVERTISEMENT

Week 11 Previews: Rocklin (8-1) at Oak Ridge (8-1)

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
There has been plenty of jockeying in the SFL this season, but Rocklin and Oak Ridge meet with the winner likely finishing No. 2 in Northern California’s premier league. However, the result likely won’t impact the SJS playoff seedings with Rocklin being in Division II and Oak Ridge in Division I.

Rocklin boasts one of the top quarterbacks in the section in sophomore Reeve Slone. Running back Derek Keeley has rushed for 674 yards and 13 touchdowns. Oak Ridge has a good two-headed rushing attack with Jasen Womack and Erick Orme Jr. Markus Hoffman has been a disruptor on the defensive line with 11 sacks and 20 total tackles for loss in six games.

They have both lost to Folsom with Oak Ridge losing 42-21 on the road while Rocklin lost 34-21 at home.

They have both lost to Folsom with Oak Ridge losing 42-21 on the road while Rocklin lost 34-21 at home.

I didn’t see much of OR’s game against Folsom and haven’t gotten around to reviewing it, so I don’t know how “in the game” they were.

But IMO, had it not been for 3 unforced muffed punt returns (2 that actually counted) Rocklin had a great shot of beating the Bulldogs, who only drove from their own end of the field for TD’s twice. Of all the SFL programs, Rocklin has competed the best against Folsom the past few seasons, having beaten them soundly once in 2021 then having a great shot of winning in both 2022 and 2023.

Rocklin’s defense this season is pretty solid, and seems to get stingier as the game progresses. The offense is a bit of an enigma, as they look fantastic at times and at other times can’t seem to get out of their own way with mistakes and questionable play calls.

I didn’t expect the game against GB last week to be as close or come down to the wire as it did. So I see no reason to expect the Trojans not to be there at the end too. They are playing at home and are well-coached, of course.

The Thunder are going to have to play better than they did last week to get out of EDH with a ‘W’. If they don’t play better it might be a long night.

But assuming they do play close to their capabilities, I like the Thunder’s chances.

I didn’t see much of OR’s game against Folsom and haven’t gotten around to reviewing it, so I don’t know how “in the game” they were.

But IMO, had it not been for 3 unforced muffed punt returns (2 that actually counted) Rocklin had a great shot of beating the Bulldogs, who only drove from their own end of the field for TD’s twice. Of all the SFL programs, Rocklin has competed the best against Folsom the past few seasons, having beaten them soundly once in 2021 then having a great shot of winning in both 2022 and 2023.

Rocklin’s defense this season is pretty solid, and seems to get stingier as the game progresses. The offense is a bit of an enigma, as they look fantastic at times and at other times can’t seem to get out of their own way with mistakes and questionable play calls.

I didn’t expect the game against GB last week to be as close or come down to the wire as it did. So I see no reason to expect the Trojans not to be there at the end too. They are playing at home and are well-coached, of course.

The Thunder are going to have to play better than they did last week to get out of EDH with a ‘W’. If they don’t play better it might be a long night.

But assuming they do play close to their capabilities, I like the Thunder’s chances.
TR, OR and Folsom game was great until wheels fell off bus in 4th. It was tied 14-14 in 4th and Folsom out scored them 28-7 in about 7 min. So the final was a Little misleading and one huge penalty really killed OR and gave Folsom life that they never looked back on. It was 3rd and a lot deep in Folsom territory and Lyons scrambled and threw an incomplete pass but OR got called for a personal foul. At the time it was 14-14 and all momentum with OR. Folsom would have had to kick and OR could have run a slow drive because folsom was having issues stopping run. Instead Folsom gets a 1st and scores and just crushed them after that.

In terms of Rocklin, I see a close lower scoring game. I think 24-20 type with little separating the two. OR is healthy and playing well. They struggle in secondary against the pass but against the run I would say they are as good as anybody in SJS.

It’s a toss up to me. Maybe OR gets a nod being at home? I don’t know if that matters much.
QB play will be much better on Rocklin side which could be difference

Reactions: THEOC89
If I was going to boil down to one key, I would say which offense can hit a couple of big plays. These are two very sound teams so the chances of multiple long TD drives isn't high. But if one of these teams can flip the field with an explosive play, turnover, special teams play, they would have an edge.

If I was going to boil down to one key, I would say which offense can hit a couple of big plays. These are two very sound teams so the chances of multiple long TD drives isn't high. But if one of these teams can flip the field with an explosive play, turnover, special teams play, they would have an edge.
I agree with that take Streak, I think the outcome will hinge on splash plays. Provided the penalties get cleaned up for Rocklin, its can Rocklin have success passing the ball against Oak Ridge and will Oak Ridge dominate in the run game against Rocklin. Both teams have good defense with the slight edge going to Oak Ridge. We find out in 30 hours.

In terms of big plays Don’t sleep on Jadon Anderson for OR at WR.
He’s got elite speed and averages 22 ypc. 8 of his 31 receptions have been for TD. That is a crazy ratio.
He will get deep on the secondary. He ran by Carter Jackson several times. Can OR QB find him is a diff story .

Reactions: Santa Ball
In terms of big plays Don’t sleep on Jadon Anderson for OR at WR.
He’s got elite speed and averages 22 ypc. 8 of his 31 receptions have been for TD. That is a crazy ratio.
He will get deep on the secondary. He ran by Carter Jackson several times. Can OR QB find him is a diff story .
He's a huge threat. I suspect that with so much attention to stopping the run, eye discipline from secondary to not peek will be paramount. That and guys that go both ways running on empty. This is the league game I've honestly been looking forward to. I'm predicting a 21-21 end of regulation score and extra innings. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: larry legend33
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT