ADVERTISEMENT

What is going on with Riordan?

Dec 31, 2020
The Crusaders currently sit at 2-4 overall and 1-2 in WCAL League play this season after assembling some of the most abundant talent we've ever seen on one WCAL roster over the past decade plus.

I'm curious for those closer to the City itself, that program, or that school circle - What are the things that can be linked to the disappointment of a season they're having this year?

I'm not used to having high expectations for Riordan, but this is Year 3 of Coach Ravpati's HC tenure for the Crusaders. He should be hitting his stride with this group he's assembled, not regressing. Also, look at all the success his counterpart Coach Vandermade is having across the city in the Sunset District with less star-studded talent on paper.

Is this team not coached well? Too many egos within the program with all the talent that was brought in quickly? Do they not value Defense?

I'm utterly confused on how they lost by 3 scores to VC (who have been a nice story since league play started) with a QB that is a Freshman and was making his 3rd Varsity start. Looking forward to hearing more from those that might know what is going on over there.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
The Crusaders currently sit at 2-4 overall and 1-2 in WCAL League play this season after assembling some of the most abundant talent we've ever seen on one WCAL roster over the past decade plus.

I'm curious for those closer to the City itself, that program, or that school circle - What are the things that can be linked to the disappointment of a season they're having this year?

I'm not used to having high expectations for Riordan, but this is Year 3 of Coach Ravpati's HC tenure for the Crusaders. He should be hitting his stride with this group he's assembled, not regressing. Also, look at all the success his counterpart Coach Vandermade is having across the city in the Sunset District with less star-studded talent on paper.

Is this team not coached well? Too many egos within the program with all the talent that was brought in quickly? Do they not value Defense?

I'm utterly confused on how they lost by 3 scores to VC (who have been a nice story since league play started) with a QB that is a Freshman and was making his 3rd Varsity start. Looking forward to hearing more from those that might know what is going on over there.
What is all this Talent that Riordan supposedly has?

I know the QB is supposed to be a top recruit and a couple of receivers, but what about Linemen, Defensive players, Running Backs, etc….

Could someone possibly list the supposed 10+ D1 players that Riordan actually has?….

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Here you go. Every player hyper linked below has D1 FBS offer on 247 Sports.
  1. Michael Mitchell Jr.
  2. Chris Lawson
  3. Cynai Thomas
  4. Judge Nash
  5. Wesley Winn
  6. Tommy Tofi
  7. Peter Langi
  8. Losipini Tupou
  9. Michael Langi
  10. Lopeti Malupo
  11. John Tofi Jr.
  12. Skylar Tiatia
  13. Adonyae Brown
  14. Isaiah Grant
  15. Moses Vaenuku
  16. Salesi Lata
  17. David Lee (Transferred at Beginning of Season)

What is all this Talent that Riordan supposedly has?

I know the QB is supposed to be a top recruit and a couple of receivers, but what about Linemen, Defensive players, Running Backs, etc….

Could someone possibly list the supposed 10+ D1 players that Riordan actually has?….

Thank You So Much!!….

WOW, That is Crazy!!…. So out of roughly 50 players, 17 have D1 offers….

And I thought Folsom was the most talent team in Nor Cal!!…. 🤣

Thank You So Much!!….

WOW, That is Crazy!!…. So out of roughly 50 players, 17 have D1 offers….

And I thought Folsom was the most talent team in Nor Cal!!…. 🤣
Wow as well!! I had no idea the number of offers some of these kids have. The most on the list looks to be Wesley Winn with 43! And he's only a sophomore.

Anyway problems may be around schemes and play calling. If you have that much talent it's actually difficult to take advantage of all of it. Spread the ball around, getting your best guys in space, running behind your best lineman and/or having that best lineman pass block for you. Also you can have a bunch of D1 skilled guys in your defensive backfield but that doesn't help in run protection.

Reactions: THEOC89
It’s a mixture of their defense being Swiss cheese and perhaps some of those D1 players are overrated?
HA!…. What else could it Be?….🤣

The Dude that posted the links to all those players was awesome and thank you again so much!!!… they all have legit offers!…. What a Talented team!!.

Obviously the Coach knows how to aquire talent, he just hasn’t figured out how the coach it yet…. 🤣🤣

Reactions: WCAL88 and FBAddict
I’ve mentioned this before, there are a lot of fake offers on that squad. These fake offers attract kids to the school. Follow the trail and I guarantee you 6-7 at most have an official offer that sticks,. Losing by 3 scores to VC is embarrassing. Kids will figure it out over time and this window to win will close. Defensively there is no coaching occuring. Riordan is an example of the most talented team with the least success.
Over the years there has been a lot of talk about the coach factor vs the talent factor for a successful team. AR shows how important good coaching is to a team's success. AR was highly ranked early this season simply because of the talent factor. Reality, though, shows how important coaching is in ranking equations.

Last edited:
Team chemistry beats raw talent any day of the week unless your mater dei.

Yup everybody cant do what the big 7 can do

Recruiting and transfers every year

Mater dei
Bosco
Img
St Thomas Aquinas
Gorman
St Frances academy
Chaminade Madonna

Mater dei being the best of those

They are coached well enough or talent so overwhelming they don't need as much team chemistry to win.

All those teams finished top 5 or top 10 in the nation 5+ times the last decade doing this

Most other teams recruit great than develop players and build a team organically.

Serra the last 3 years before this year did that. De la salle always built there team that way

Riordan doesn't value defense. And offense always get stagnant in the second half.

The coaching is not good and u have to coach great when u dont have consistent team chemistry.

Si has mental toughness as well they been down big in games late and came back in all of them but srv

The Dude that posted the links to all those players was awesome and thank you again so much!!!… they all have legit offers!…. What a Talented team!!.

Obviously the Coach knows how to aquire talent, he just hasn’t figured out how the coach it yet…. 🤣🤣
Yeah I brought this up in another post. Never seen anything like it. Do they draw it up on their hand like we did in middle school and say go long every time? How can you not be better. Conditioning, team building, coaching, cultural..... Must not teach winning but how to be a college player? Clearly 2 different things.

Make no mistake about it. Folsom is well coached, and they have talent. Yeah they crapped bed against Serra but they won't lose again and with the transfers they are the best team right now in norcal. (and I'm no folsom fan)

Yup everybody cant do what the big 7 can do

Recruiting and transfers every year

Mater dei
Bosco
Img
St Thomas Aquinas
Gorman
St Frances academy
Chaminade Madonna

Mater dei being the best of those

They are coached well enough or talent so overwhelming they don't need as much team chemistry to win.

All those teams finished top 5 or top 10 in the nation 5+ times the last decade doing this

Most other teams recruit great than develop players and build a team organically.

Serra the last 3 years before this year did that. De la salle always built there team that way

Riordan doesn't value defense. And offense always get stagnant in the second half.

The coaching is not good and u have to coach great when u dont have consistent team chemistry.

Si has mental toughness as well they been down big in games late and came back in all of them but srv
The big 7, putting aside the moral aspects of what they do as far as blatant no holds barred recruiting, can certainly coach. At least well enough to exploit their superior athletic ability.

Riordan from the few clips and highlights I watched, do not defend the run or pass effectively. The line play is not great. They don't move people.

You can make pretty accurate judgements about coaching based on whether or not the coach maximizes his talent. Riordan is not.

Yeah I brought this up in another post. Never seen anything like it. Do they draw it up on their hand like we did in middle school and say go long every time? How can you not be better. Conditioning, team building, coaching, cultural..... Must not teach winning but how to be a college player? Clearly 2 different things.

Make no mistake about it. Folsom is well coached, and they have talent. Yeah they crapped bed against Serra but they won't lose again and with the transfers they are the best team right now in norcal. (and I'm no folsom fan)
Agreed. Only team in NorCal that I think could beat the current Folsom is DLS. Where’s that guy that thought Riordan could keep up with Mater Dei? 😂

Does a State Championship under his belt mean he does NOT know how to coach?

I have tried to follow @FBAddict compliment of being kinder and gentler poster, but C’Mon Man

Folsom has a 5 star QB, grabbed the SFL RB of the year from its rival and a host of D1 studs w/o the transfers and lost to a 2-4 rebuilding Serra team at home. Folsom has never played for an Open State title, their 50+ point scoring average gets limited playing smashmouth teams like DeLa, Bellarmine and Serra. Even when you finally beat DeLa it was by a point? Folsom escaped with a win in the CIF title game playing a St. Bonaventure team with an enrollment of 500 kids. Coaching?

Last edited:
I’ve mentioned this before, there are a lot of fake offers on that squad. These fake offers attract kids to the school. Follow the trail and I guarantee you 6-7 at most have an official offer that sticks,. Losing by 3 scores to VC is embarrassing. Kids will figure it out over time and this window to win will close. Defensively there is no coaching occuring. Riordan is an example of the most talented team with the least success.
No doubt they are not playing up to their hype, but they are still a young team and many will be back next season. 12 of those 17 being offered are underclassmen. They need to learn to win. Until the VC game they were in every game until the end. Also, please list those fake offers.

Does a State Championship under his belt mean he does NOT know how to coach?

I have tried to follow @FBAddict compliment of being kinder and gentler poster, but C’Mon Man
HA!…. State Championship for Riordan?…. Not so sure about that….

I don’t even know who their coach is, but to have 17 players with D1 offers and you can’t beat PITT, Serra, ST Bonnie’s, SI or VC means you can’t coach….. 🤣

Folsom has a 5 star QB, grabbed the SFL RB of the year from its rival and a host of D1 studs w/o the transfers and lost to a 2-4 rebuilding Serra team at home. Folsom has never played for an Open State title, their 50+ point scoring average gets limited playing smashmouth teams like DeLa, Bellarmine and Serra. Even when you finally beat DeLa it was by a point? Folsom escaped with a win in the CIF title game playing a St. Bonaventure team with an enrollment of 500 kids. Coaching?
Folsom struggles against the likes of DLS and Serra, who know how to slow them down. Riordan seems to struggle against everyone.

And yes, either Riordan has bad coaching or their players are overrated. Theres no other explanation.

That’s a pretty serious accusation. Name the fake offers. The school and players are under a strict social media policy and always reference the coach of the respective offering schools. The 247 site also provides validation for the most part.

I don’t even know who their coach is, but to have 17 players with D1 offers and you can’t beat PITT, Serra, ST Bonnie’s, SI or VC means you can’t coach….. 🤣
There has always been one consistent and constant theme for every Riordan football team no matter what year, players, coaches or administration. They hate SH. Hate isnt even doing it justice. I can remember their players lining up during warmups and their 10 count. "Irish.... Irish.... Irish....Irish... Irish"... They were possessed to kill us. And this attitude, if they actually displayed that hatred vs every opponent, by God they would actually be dominant and better than what their record shows. They hung 63 on SH. They probably shouldve hung 90.

You can just blame both coaches and players. Players arent motivated beyond their own personal goals. When you have that attitude, you cant coach them. Dont matter how many supposed D1 guys you have. Coaches cant do anything if you dont have players willing and able.

• Haha
Reactions: ARHS92 and THEOC89
That’s a pretty serious accusation. Name the fake offers. The school and players are under a strict social media policy and always reference the coach of the respective offering schools. The 247 site also provides validation for the most part.
I get what he's saying. If a school is throwing out 200+ offers for 22 scholarship spots they aren't all real. The math don't lie. They even tell some kids they aren't committable. WTF does that mean. What it means is post on IG with some lame ass picture and market the school for us.

Damn! Seeing a list like that makes you wonder how these guys aren't beating everyone in the North.

It could only be one of 2 things or maybe both.

1. Overrated players
2. Coaching

They haven't played Serra yet this season, so there's that. The teams they lost to are not slouches, but if the defense doesn't improve they have no chance.

They haven't played Serra yet this season, so there's that. The teams they lost to are not slouches, but if the defense doesn't improve they have no chance.
I hear you that these are good teams, but we are talking about 17 D1 level players….. My guess is that Half of the National Top 10 teams have less then 17 D1 level players….

With that many D1 players, You should not be losing 4 games unless you played Mater Dei, SJB. Bishop Gorman and IMG….. 🤣

Reactions: MC415

I am still NOT understanding you point,…Did he not win a State Championship? Who else has won a State Championship in the WCAL? I’ll stay with experience,…

Caller are you there,….Click📞😂🤫😳🤣

I am still NOT understanding you point,…Did he not win a State Championship? Who else has won a State Championship in the WCAL? I’ll stay with experience,…

Caller are you there,….Click📞😂🤫😳🤣
Winning a lower level STATE BOWL game is not a State championship

Reactions: WCAL88
Damn! Seeing a list like that makes you wonder how these guys aren't beating everyone in the North.

It could only be one of 2 things or maybe both.

1. Overrated players
2. Coaching
Do you really think the players are overrated? Please provide Chalk Board fodder🤫😳🤫

Take that bite,…?

Last edited:
Winning a lower level STATE BOWL game is not a State championship
Winning a State Championship is winning a State Championship,…C’Mon Man “don’t go Stupid on us”😜😜😜

That was actually your point? These post should have a “moment to hold on send button” before they post🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Niklas227
Winning a State Championship is winning a State Championship,…C’Mon Man “don’t go Stupid on us”😜😜😜

That was actually your point? These post should have a “moment to hold on send button” before they post🤣🤣🤣
You could use that button for most of your posts…………you’re literally saying a Bowl game win is “winning a state title” ??? Really ??? They’re even literally called “Bowl Games” because they’re a Bowl game like in college

You could use that button for most of your posts…………you’re literally saying a Bowl game win is “winning a state title” ??? Really ??? They’re even literally called “Bowl Games” because they’re a Bowl game like in college
Are you just Dumb or Dumber and trying to debate State Title, Championship or Bowl game meaning. It seems like “wanna be Sheldon” is trying to get a new season🤫🤣🤫

🎤,…Drop

#NerdsAreAmongUs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT