ADVERTISEMENT

What State Bowl game are you most looking forward to?

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
I'll throw out a couple I'm excited for:

Folsom-Cathedral: Should be pretty competitive IMO. Interested to see Cathedral running game against Folsom D.

Serra-Mater Dei: Not expecting a competitive game, but always good to see a local team compete against the nation's best. I could see Serra starting fast.

McClymonds-Birmingham: We rarely get to see Mack in competitive games due to section so games like last week against Campoindo and this week are intriguing. CalPreps has it as one of the more competitive games.

Vanden-Aquinas: Seems like every year, there is a team goes on a run that grabs my attention. This year, it is Vanden.

McClymonds-Birmingham: We rarely get to see Mack in competitive games due to section so games like last week against Campoindo and this week are intriguing. CalPreps has it as one of the more competitive games.
Birmingham is another example of scheduling over your head and then becoming better because of it.Started 0-5 and now have won 9 straight.Were the 5th seed in their bracket I believe.
The guy on their team who does everything is Arlis Boardingham.At 6’4 220 he is a major problem at WR but also plays QB,LB and Safety.Returns punts and is also the punter

Birmingham is another example of scheduling over your head and then becoming better because of it.Started 0-5 and now have won 9 straight.Were the 5th seed in their bracket I believe.
The guy on their team who does everything is Arlis Boardingham.At 6’4 220 he is a major problem at WR but also plays QB,LB and Safety.Returns punts and is also the punter
What everyone is ignoring with regards to Birmingham is that the LA City Section is absolutely horrible. The entire section only has 7 teams with calpreps ratings above 0.

I would contend that they may not have especially improved at all. The level of their competition fell off of a cliff. Even in the SoCal regional game, the team they beat was the SDS D-4 champ. Division FOUR. This is supposed to be the #1 team in all of the LACS, yet they barely beat that team.

McClymonds should win this game comfortably.

Reactions: NCS707
I'll throw out a couple I'm excited for:

Folsom-Cathedral: Should be pretty competitive IMO. Interested to see Cathedral running game against Folsom D.

Serra-Mater Dei: Not expecting a competitive game, but always good to see a local team compete against the nation's best. I could see Serra starting fast.

Vanden-Aquinas: Seems like every year, there is a team goes on a run that grabs my attention. This year, it is Vanden.
There are a lot of games with very contrasting styles.

Folsom vs Cathedral Catholic: Air raid vs triple option

Central Catholic vs Mater Dei Catholic: I-formation vs spread option

Wilcox vs Scripps Ranch: Veer vs Spread Option (although more air raid-ish, since their QB doesn't run much)

I would also love to see Fall River beat Morro Bay.

I'm looking forward to the 4-A game at Kezar. If the Irish win, it will be three championships in one year as opposed to it taking 95 seasons in 115 years to win one CCS title (2008).

What everyone is ignoring with regards to Birmingham is that the LA City Section is absolutely horrible. The entire section only has 7 teams with calpreps ratings above 0.

I would contend that they may not have especially improved at all. The level of their competition fell off of a cliff. Even in the SoCal regional game, the team they beat was the SDS D-4 champ. Division FOUR. This is supposed to be the #1 team in all of the LACS, yet they barely beat that team.

McClymonds should win this game comfortably.
We’ll see if they have improved as I suggest or not as you have. Early in the season they lost 44-0 to Oaks Christian who is rated just .6 better than McClymonds

I wonder if he is related to a Don Boardingham from the 70s, a Cordova Lancer. He was a good player also. Was on some great Cordova teams

I wonder if he is related to a Don Boardingham from the 70s, a Cordova Lancer. He was a good player also. Was on some great Cordova teams

CalHi picks for the SBG

10 mentions

I’m guessing if the game gets out of hand as people are saying, the announcers will need something to talk about.

Open is the game I’m most interested in. Go Serra!!!

Reactions: ThunderRam
I work at a high school. Very poor but there are a few parents on their early 60s (70s). Mostly parents are 35-45 (90s-00s), at wealthier schools I thinks 50s (80s graduates) are most common. We have many kids who’s grandparents are in their 50s! Most didn’t do to High school in the USA though… CA/Bay Area has a wide range of parent ages, usually older than Midwest/south.

10 mentions

I’m guessing if the game gets out of hand as people are saying, the announcers will need something to talk about.

Hope they can keep it close for a while to give themselves a chance.But MD is a whole 'nother level of talent compared to what Serra has seen.Still,anything can happen once the game starts

As I sit here waiting for my ride for the long ride down south. I really want to wish all the NorCal teams good luck. It’s been a CRAZY but fun year of football. I’m expecting us to take 3 of the 5 games with a possibility of a 4th. Here’s wishing those of you taking the trip down safe travels. And here’s wishing all of us great football.

GO NORTH!!!!

Reactions: ararar
Serra vs Mater Dei. Will be interesting the game plan Coach Walsh and OC Darius Bell draw up.

Serra vs Mater Dei. Will be interesting the game plan Coach Walsh and OC Darius Bell draw up.
Yes, I wonder what Walsh has in mind. The question is, where do you start with MD? Hard to find vulnerabilities off the top of my head, just based on the talent level alone. Admittedly I havent seen them play this year, but just looking at the recruiting boards and the number of MD kids on them, they've got tons of talent

It seems Walsh and Co. have two options on how to attack the game in terms of flow.

1) Throw the kitchen sink early. Look for big play, early onside, super agressive

2) Look to extend game early, limit big plays on D, hold ball on O

Obviously there is a middle ground, but the middle ground has no chance of winning this one.

Reactions: Humbab
It seems Walsh and Co. have two options on how to attack the game in terms of flow.

1) Throw the kitchen sink early. Look for big play, early onside, super agressive

Obviously there is a middle ground, but the middle ground has no chance of winning this one.
I would add preventing big special teams returns by MD, and no special teams mistakes by Serra(botched snaps,blocked kicks, penalties that negate big returns by Serra)

I would add preventing big special teams returns by MD, and no special teams mistakes by Serra(botched snaps,blocked kicks, penalties that negate big returns by Serra)
Yes. They probably need to add points in that department

What do you believe an appropriate over/under should be on the number of times the TV coverage mentions that Tom Brady and Barry Bonds are alumni of Serra-San Mateo? Or at least mentions TB?? :rolleyes:
What do you believe an appropriate over/under should be on the number of times the TV coverage mentions that Tom Brady and Barry Bonds are alumni of Serra-San Mateo? Or at least mentions TB?? :rolleyes:
25. 😀 along with 15 minutesof Brady/ Bonds infomercials during half time.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderRam

We were just saying how fun it would be to coach this game because really you can do no wrong. The first play from scrimmage Walsh should pull out the baby stroller put Miller in motion and while the defense is playing “peek-a-boo” Harris drops the blanket and run for a TD. By the way anyone who hasn’t seen this play you can look it up on YouTube under GEICO commercial. My point being through everything including the baby stroller at them. GO NORTH!!

We were just saying how fun it would be to coach this game because really you can do no wrong. The first play from scrimmage Walsh should pull out the baby stroller put Miller in motion and while the defense is playing “peek-a-boo” Harris drops the blanket and run for a TD. By the way anyone who hasn’t seen this play you can look it up on YouTube under GEICO commercial. My point being through everything including the baby stroller at them. GO NORTH!!
😄

They may mention Lynn Swann as well.Maybe.

Only reason I didn’t include Swann, who is among my all-time fav receivers, is because most the younger folks have no clue who he is. Even many of the announcers. He didn’t play in this millennium.

Only reason I didn’t include Swann, who is among my all-time fav receivers, is because most the younger folks have no clue who he is. Even many of the announcers. He didn’t play in this millennium.
Thats true Thunder,Thats why I added the maybe

10 mentions

They may mention Lynn Swann as well.Maybe.

25. 😀 along with 15 minutesof Brady/ Bonds infomercials during half time.

Well, the mentions have already started in the Central Catholic v. Mater Dei Catholic game ;)

They just stated that a “Serra Alum” paid for a charter flight for the football team to get to SoCal. They were speculating who that “alum” was. Then talked about the various sports Serra has a well-known alum.

Well, the mentions have already started in the Central Catholic v. Mater Dei Catholic game ;)

They just stated that a “Serra Alum” paid for a charter flight for the football team to get to SoCal. They were speculating who that “alum” was. Then talked about the various sports Serra has a well-known alum.
Was the over-under for all weekend or just Open game? I knew I should have read the fine print LOL

Was the over-under for all weekend or just Open game? I knew I should have read the fine print LOL

My original comment was about the actual OPEN game. So you didn’t miss anything. I wasn’t smart enough to think beyond that.

I just found it funny that it had already started.

We’ll see if they have improved as I suggest or not as you have. Early in the season they lost 44-0 to Oaks Christian who is rated just .6 better than McClymonds
Well?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT