ADVERTISEMENT

WHATS GOING ON AT NAPA HI

Bluedog2

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2007
The Napa Indians are experiencing a rough preseason season due to taking big steps out the area in different area's... The preseason wrapped up with losses to Rocklin 28-16, Pittman 7-6, Pleasant Valley 30-14 and a almost loss to Nevada Union that they won 35-34 in OT.....After the preseason, The Indians should be well prepared for league action....

Question: What Offenses do Rocklin, Pleasant Valley, Pitman & Nevada Union run? Pitman & NU Run the Wing T still? thank you. Bluedog2 I was wondering too. Rebuilding year for Napa?

Question: What Offenses do Rocklin, Pleasant Valley, Pitman & Nevada Union run? Pitman & NU Run the Wing T still? thank you. Bluedog2 I was wondering too. Rebuilding year for Napa?
NCSCALFOOTBALL....From what I heard, Napa has good size and fair speed, they had a very good JV team move up and it could be a case of being too green, but even being the case, the Indians usually take the next step up....I was surprised that Napa got into a shooting war with Nevada Union and almost lost....They face Wood next week and Wood had better repair the defense after the beating they took at American canyon...the win over Fairfield probably helped lick the wounds but we will see on 10-7...

.I was surprised that Napa got into a shooting war with Nevada Union and almost lost....

I wasn't. NU is much improved. I figured Rocklin was in for a battle last week and they were for most the game. I'm not really sure what to think of Napa just yet. I saw them a couple weeks ago @ Rocklin and they played well in spots but looked quite average on the whole. They are well coached as usual, but Coach Mott certainly has a challenge on his hands.

Rocklin's base offense is the Pistol, not the spread. Although there certainly are spread elements to it like there are in practically every offense.
"Pistol" is a formation - it is an alignment of the RB to the QB (as you know, directly behind versus offset). Rocklin does run a single back "spread" offense if you equate spread to having single back no TE or single back TE sets which are their primary offensive sets.

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
It can be referred to as both a formation and an offense. As I stated previously, there are certainly spread elements to it, but, unlike other versions, they are almost exclusively lined up in the pistol formation thus it is most typically referred to as the "pistol offense", not the spread.

It can be referred to as both a formation and an offense. As I stated previously, there are certainly spread elements to it, but, unlike other versions, they are almost exclusively lined up in the pistol formation thus it is most typically referred to as the "pistol offense", not the spread.
Completely understand and it's not your nomenclature, instead a poorly adopted translation over time of what actually occurs on the field....so perhaps it is more of a pet peeve. It that would be similar to calling the shotgun alignment an offense. Nothing new is being done because a backfield is in Pistol alignment, unlike say the Veer or Wishbone or Wing-T, those are distinct offenses. The Pistol formation offense can be spread option, run and shoot, air raid and pro style with multiple TEs and RBs, so the term Pistol offense doesn't characterize what is truly being done.....just a semantics issue (or a logical aspect of meaning). Aside from all of that, not sure what is going on at Napa, maybe just a down year of athletes as happens from time to time in public schools even within perennially good programs!

Reactions: CaliTrojan4Life
"Pistol" is a formation - it is an alignment of the RB to the QB (as you know, directly behind versus offset). Rocklin does run a single back "spread" offense if you equate spread to having single back no TE or single back TE sets which are their primary offensive sets.
Solid post RunningRon.The Pistol Formation alignment is a 4x7 QB/RB relationship in which that was Rocklin's base last year. This year Rocklin's base has been more of the Spread Formation 4x5 QB/RB relationship. So as I said in my prior post, Rocklin runs a single back and no backs spread Formation.

CT4L

Reactions: RunningRon
Completely understand and it's not your nomenclature, instead a poorly adopted translation over time of what actually occurs on the field....so perhaps it is more of a pet peeve. It that would be similar to calling the shotgun alignment an offense. Nothing new is being done because a backfield is in Pistol alignment, unlike say the Veer or Wishbone or Wing-T, those are distinct offenses. The Pistol formation offense can be spread option, run and shoot, air raid and pro style with multiple TEs and RBs, so the term Pistol offense doesn't characterize what is truly being done.....just a semantics issue (or a logical aspect of meaning). Aside from all of that, not sure what is going on at Napa, maybe just a down year of athletes as happens from time to time in public schools even within perennially good programs!
Well said.

CT4L

Reactions: RunningRon
Well said.

CT4L
Earlier, I commented that the Napa team may be a little green, as it turns out, the majority of the team is juniors from the 2015 JV team, in league play, their toughest game will be against Vacaville, if Wood can beef up their defense for the 10-7 game, the Indians will be busy...But Napa is still Napa...

Not an easy schedule and it doesn't look like they've got boat raced in any game. The Nevada Union game was closer than expected but that's why they play the game, just ask Elk Grove when they played Davis. I think they'll be fine in league and make the playoffs and do some damage. If the post was "what's happening at James Logan" it'd be more relevant. Just remember at 4-6 Del Oro team won 6 in a row when it counted last year. They'll be fine in the long run. The Vacaville and Wood games are huge for them

Napa a
Napa is well caoched perhaps just a rebuilding year...
Napa should be OK. If you look at each game you will see that they have been quite competitive.

week 0 - beat Casa Grande handily and should have.
Week 1 - Played Rocklin pretty evenly except the two pick 6's Napa threw in the last 1 min 47 seconds of the first half.
Week 2 - Played Pittman pretty even. Napa had 3 (as I recall) drives stall inside the opposing 5 yard line. Lost 7-6
Week 3 - Played NU pretty even - As Thunder stated NU is not a gimme this year - 21/21 tie goes to OT Napa wins
Week 4 - Stayed competitive with Pleasant Valley Chico for most of the game - too many dropped passes and mis-tackles.

Now, these are not excuses. They lost fair and square but all of those teams, except the ones they beat, are pretty highly rated/ranked. I believe (but am not totally convinced yet) that Napa will compete with Vacaville for the MEL crown. One thing, for sure, is that they have lacked big plays - grinding it out. The playmakers need to show up next week against Wood or it could be a long season.

Reactions: ThunderRam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT