ADVERTISEMENT

Where we are at with the playoffs

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Understanding that there are bigger things going on that playoff postponements, there are a lot of moving parts in HS football.

SJS, Northern, and Oakland have all moved games back a week, which still keeps them in line for NorCal/State stuff. If the air clears next week, they shouldn't have problems

San Francisco is trying to get a game in this weekend but they need AQI to be at 125 or lower which is more strict than NCS version.

CCS has their triple headers set for Saturday. If the air stays good in that area and then the smoke moves out next week, they will be good to go.

NCS is the biggest issue with no spot locked in to move the games too and their readings in the East Bay being some of the work outside of the Northern Section. They have the coin toss ruling as a fall back plan if they can't finish D2-D5.

Two questions/comments have come out of this for me:

What would you guess is more important to go after: section title or NorCal/State? It seems NCS is willing to throw away the section title experience, but is there a way to forgo NorCal/State if they so chose?

Second, the sections get a lot of their revenue from football playoff gates. I have heard/read that bad weather has thrown it off in past years. I wonder what the neutral sites/less games/playoff build up being halted will do to those numbers this year.

Looking like NCS games this weekend may be less and less likely. Still pretty bad today (Friday) and will need to make big improvement. AQI of 100-150 isn't very healthy if it even gets to there. CCS was smart to move games and also had access to facilities on its southern area although those areas. I think it is more important to finish section championships than state. State is so watered down as it is that while nice to see the matchups, the sections make more money in their own playoffs. I think state should have no more than 5 divisions (Open + enrollment size based). This A and AA and all the divisions is crazy. I'm a huge prep football fan but it is just football. The sections need the money so that should take priority. Neutral sites may have a big impact, but I am thinking about heading to Salinas this weekend to watch some games. Granted I have family there, but it is also a good escape from the terrible air quality. Salinas High is one of the better prep venues in NorCal to see a game at night and Alvarez is a nice field (sunken and turf). I haven't been to Alisal High in decades so can't say anything about that venue. With caveat of both Alvarez and Alisal, you should kind of stay out of the areas after the game if at night (not bad during day), and if you eat out North and South Main street is fine.There are pockets in those areas that are gang infested. Salinas High is fine. Not trying to scare anyone, but Salinas is ground zero for Norteno (Nuestra Familia) and Sureno and while usually not aggressive you don't want to be walking around those areas in black or 49er colors or drive around in black or red Hondas. Just best to limit your risk while things have been okay recently.

Last edited:
I agree the 5 game setup was the best since the state bowl thing started. Only thing that would be better would be an actual state playoff setup, which we probably wont ever see
The only way this is ever going to happen is if the Sections give up control. So...Yes, this will never happen.

Reactions: bella123
I continue to find it completely bizarre that people complain about how many divisions there are for the state championships, then go onto request a true state championship system. Exactly how many divisions would you anticipate would be for something like that?

The only state that has about the same number of football-playing schools as California is Texas... and they have just about the same number of divisions as we do. You could not possibly pare down to 5 divisions with a total state system. How long would you like for the playoffs to last? 8 weeks?

There are some sections with too many playoff divisions (Northern, Central, San Diego, Los Angeles City, and Southern), but we're really only talking about 1 division too many in these cases. They're pretty much right in the NCS, CCS, and SJS (and obviously in the OS and SFS).

Just because some of these teams are not household names or incredibly powerful private schools, that doesn't mean they don't deserve some ability to receive some recognition or a chance to play schools from outside their area that they wouldn't ordinarily not have an opportunity to meet.

Y'all are forgetting one basic principle in this whole thing...

mathematics.

The only way this is ever going to happen is if the Sections give up control. So...Yes, this will never happen.

Yeah, they would have to go from League right into the state tournament. That's how Texas does it. Appears to be regionalized though in the beginning. I'd love to see something like that in CA. But as you said, it would require blowing up the whole section system I believe, which would never happen.

http://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/...onships--2018-football-conference-6a-d1--.htm

The only state that has about the same number of football-playing schools as California is Texas... and they have just about the same number of divisions as we do. You could not possibly pare down to 5 divisions with a total state system. How long would you like for the playoffs to last? 8 weeks?
Texas currently has 12 playoff divisions. They also have an additional 17 divisions for Prep, Private and Christian schools.

as of right now...

Sonoma County is 165.

Ukiah is 136... they should be playing a game tonight in Ukiah and 3 more tomorrow if #s stay below. I thought moving the games north may work but now even Ukiah is pushing the 150 threshold...yeesh

I wonder if all the OPEN games had not been able to be played if NCS commish Gil Lemon would have opted for the DLS/Pitt coin toss method like he's about to do for everybody else? doubt it

Understanding that there are bigger things going on that playoff postponements, there are a lot of moving parts in HS football.

SJS, Northern, and Oakland have all moved games back a week, which still keeps them in line for NorCal/State stuff. If the air clears next week, they shouldn't have problems

San Francisco is trying to get a game in this weekend but they need AQI to be at 125 or lower which is more strict than NCS version.

CCS has their triple headers set for Saturday. If the air stays good in that area and then the smoke moves out next week, they will be good to go.

NCS is the biggest issue with no spot locked in to move the games too and their readings in the East Bay being some of the work outside of the Northern Section. They have the coin toss ruling as a fall back plan if they can't finish D2-D5.

Two questions/comments have come out of this for me:

What would you guess is more important to go after: section title or NorCal/State? It seems NCS is willing to throw away the section title experience, but is there a way to forgo NorCal/State if they so chose?

Second, the sections get a lot of their revenue from football playoff gates. I have heard/read that bad weather has thrown it off in past years. I wonder what the neutral sites/less games/playoff build up being halted will do to those numbers this year.

I personally would be willing to throw the Norcal State title experience away rather than coin flip it. Let all the games play. Section title games are awesome. A coin flip season ender would be brutal.

Reactions: RLS13
The Sections can’t see the forest for the trees.They could agree to a state tournament and split the money between sections AND have section playoffs for teams not making state and get paid for that as well

Reactions: pantera-cat
Texas currently has 12 playoff divisions. They also have an additional 17 divisions for Prep, Private and Christian schools.

... and they don't actually crown divisional champions. Two champs in 4A, 3A, etc.

NCS has screwed this up badly...

IF they are to use coin flip it should be for this round not finals--that makes no sense so they can do 2 things..

1) coin flip quaterfinals and makes semi Saturday 24th and Finals Dec 1

OR..

2) play games quarters Tues or Wed 21st or 22nd, most kids out for holiday, semi Monday 26th and final Sat Dec 1

Seems doable assuming air is playable Tuesday, if not default to option 2. But coin flipping a championship game should not even be considered

Seems even Salinas today the air is borderline unhealthy. Looks like some games were moved to Gilroy and Morgan Hill and the section may have to make some decisions if it doesn't improve. Last I checked AQI was around 155 which is borderline unhealthy. Air quality was good on Friday. In retorspect some of the games probably should have been played on Friday. Hopefully the air quality will improve.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT