ADVERTISEMENT

Why I have bad feeling about Washington beating OSU. Comments please

Oct 13, 2005
I continue to have bad feeling about this game. Here's why:

1. OSU passing with Gaskin is superior to WA. Gaskins has had stellar year. Great NFL material. WA QB Jake Browning has had off year.
Browning does not hold up well in big games. At Folsom he was blown out by DLS twice. Those memories torment Plummer to this day.

2. OSU plays in much tougher Big 12 Conference. OSU lost one game. WA lost 3 games. Beaten by CAL no less. Tough, big and strong defenses haunt Plummer and crew.

3 Urban Meyer retirement gives OSU players huge incentive to play extra hard and beat WA for their stellar coach Urban Meyer.

Tell me why I am wrong about my feelings. !!@@!!

OSU will win, Jake has lead feet and losing Pettis was huge. OSU does give up the big play so Washington has a puncher's chance but they won't be able to keep up.

You aren't wrong. Browning also had Ross. 2 NFL speedsters.
Enjoy Burr Kirven though. Best undersized LB since Scooby Wright played at Zona. What a stud.
I'm not an Urban Meyer guy nor OSU but Wash would need some miracles.

Reactions: coachlittle
At halftime, it's ugly. So far, very poor showing by the Pac-12 champion. Mismatch after two periods.

At halftime, it's ugly. So far, very poor showing by the Pac-12 champion. Mismatch after two periods.

Washington needs to get some playmakers on offense. This is embarrassing. Most lopsided game in terms of talent I've seen so far and that includes Clemson/ND. Feel bad for browning having all these records and success but ending career on a real sour note. Only 16TD passes this year. Yikes. Pretty clear to me that he's going to be a heck of a coach. Athletically and arm strength just doesn't have it for the next level.

Jake has missed a number of pretty basic passes. The 3rd down pass before the half was a brutal miss and it cost his team a TD ( woulda been 14-3 instead of 21-3). He just looks lost...no confidence at all.

i respect Coach Peterson a lot for sticking by Jake but you really wonder if there was somebody on the sidelines during the season that should have taken the reign. I watched Yankoff play in HS and he was very good. Tall/Athletics. I would think he's the future. That sounds crazy given browning success but think about what some of these other programs have done with successful QB's. (ND and Bama come to mind)

Reactions: coachlittle
Jake did a good job bringing them back late. But they just got too far behind.

Wow... Ohio State decided they could win after playing just 1/2 game. Terrible effort/execution in 2nd half. Not an urban meyer fan at all. He will un-retire in a couple years. Wash showed a lot of heart. Gotta give them credit.

Reactions: colhenrylives
i respect Coach Peterson a lot for sticking by Jake but you really wonder if there was somebody on the sidelines during the season that should have taken the reign. I watched Yankoff play in HS and he was very good. Tall/Athletics. I would think he's the future. That sounds crazy given browning success but think about what some of these other programs have done with successful QB's. (ND and Bama come to mind)

Jake Hainer(SP) Monte Vista grad is in line to replace Browning. Browning was actually benched earlier this season for Hainer who didn’t look ready.

Jake Hainer(SP) Monte Vista grad is in line to replace Browning. Browning was actually benched earlier this season for Hainer who didn’t look ready.

Haener is currently (or was) the backup QB. But most think Jacob Eason will be the starter next season. He had to sit out this season after transferring from Georgia.

Jake did a good job bringing them back late. But they just got too far behind.

I felt that if they had shown the intensity they had shown in the last four minutes, during the rest of the game it certinaly could have been different.

Here's wishing you great football

Its all on peterson now. With all of Sakesians speed recruits and Dtackle linemen recruits all gone

The UW receivers didn't do Jake any favors with some of the drops in the game, yeesh that was bad.

Jake hasnt looked good for some time now. Washington is a top 10 program but they have no business representing the west coast usc is the only team with the talent to compete against these teams with multiple top 5 recruiting classes. Once they got matched up with urban meyee I knew Washington was gonna lose he’s the best coach in college saban is great at getting his guys playing as if they’re the under dog every game. But usc not being good is really killing the perception of the league at this point usc doesn’t care about football. It seems as if someone (Larry Scott) was planted in the league just to tear it down. The fact that our players want to play in the south is a slap in the face

Reactions: remc
USC is a dumpster fire of a program. With all the highly rated recruits they bring in they should be a top 10 if not top 5 college team every year.

Reactions: THEOC89
College football is all about the coaches. The Pac 12 is lacking in the coaching department. The days of Pete Carroll, Chip Kelly, Harbaugh, and Tedford dunking it out is over.

Saban is benefiting from the fact that a lot of the great/ambitious coaches are in the NFL.

College football is all about the coaches. The Pac 12 is lacking in the coaching department. The days of Pete Carroll, Chip Kelly, Harbaugh, and Tedford dunking it out is over.

Saban is benefiting from the fact that a lot of the great/ambitious coaches are in the NFL.

Not true I think the majority of HC in the P12 are good

Wazzu with Leach = an amazing job doing what he does in Pullman! Genius

Peterson at UW= he’s done a great job

Cristobal at UO= see the recruiting class he pulled this year ? Wow!

OSU= agreed they stink

Cal w/ JW= done a great job laying a solid foundation watch once they get an average offense

Furd w/ Shaw= nuff said with his success

Chip w/UCLA will be fine

Helton at SC a mess

Herm had a pretty good year

Utah Whittingham amazing results and job

Colorado TBD

Zona with Sumlin meh not sold on him

All in all pretty good crop of coaches, but yeah P12 definitely lacking horses up front in the trenches

OSU= agreed they stink

Cal w/ JW= done a great job laying a solid foundation watch once they get an average offense

Chip w/UCLA will be fine

Helton at SC a mess

Colorado TBD

All in all pretty good crop of coaches, but yeah P12 definitely lacking horses up front in the trenches

Oregon has a great recruiter not coach Oregon’s offense is a joke. Trying to run inside the tackles every play to prove that you’re a tough team isn’t a good look

Oregon has a great recruiter not coach Oregon’s offense is a joke. Trying to run inside the tackles every play to prove that you’re a tough team isn’t a good look

It’s all TBD with another year of Herbert

OSU= agreed they stink

Chip w/UCLA will be fine

Helton at SC a mess

Colorado TBD

Pretty good means it's good, but could be a lot better. I'm not disagreeing with your data. IMO, The Pac 12 has a good supporting cast of coaches, but it lacks someone like Saban or Meyer managing the top traditional powers. It's most important schools are USC and Cal. USC stands alone but Cal also has two hotbeds in its backyard, the Bay and Sac region.

Carroll had no issues recruiting the big boys in the trenches. His teams regularly resembled what we now see at Alabama.

Reactions: remc and THEOC89
USC is a dumpster fire of a program. With all the highly rated recruits they bring in they should be a top 10 if not top 5 college team every year.
True, but generally as USC goes so goes the perception of the conference nationally. They just need to get a big time coach. It’s almost as if that program is being sabotaged on purpose

It’s all TBD with another year of Herbert

Their offense hasn’t been pretty in 3 years the pistol doesn’t work for them he’s trying to hard to be Alabama without having the line play of bama. This is what happens when you have a offensive line coach as a hc all power plays with no power personnel

Their offense hasn’t been pretty in 3 years the pistol doesn’t work for them he’s trying to hard to be Alabama without having the line play of bama. This is what happens when you have a offensive line coach as a hc all power plays with no power personnel

Like I said TBH. Mario second year and first as the HC and was still top 1/3 in the nation on offense..... I expect them to improve next year

You really can't compare anything out here to Bama. Its the only game in town in a state that has no pro sports. Huge athletic budget and revenues from TV contracts. I agree the pac 12 overall has good coaches. It's not the coaching why they are losing games. An interesting article about BAMA/CLEMSON revealed how many future pro's actually stay 1 or 2 years longer than needed at those places versus leaving early like you see in many places. Also how many stay even if they have to sit as frosh or soph.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/a...-clemson-separated-themselves-cfb-world-2018/

You really can't compare anything out here to Bama. Its the only game in town in a state that has no pro sports. Huge athletic budget and revenues from TV contracts. I agree the pac 12 overall has good coaches. It's not the coaching why they are losing games. An interesting article about BAMA/CLEMSON revealed how many future pro's actually stay 1 or 2 years longer than needed at those places versus leaving early like you see in many places. Also how many stay even if they have to sit as frosh or soph.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/a...-clemson-separated-themselves-cfb-world-2018/

Too to bottom pc12 has the best coaches their problem is the west coast doesn’t produce top linemen and when they do they go else where. We literally rely on the islands and they aren’t near as athletic as southern d linemen. You could also see a difference at running back we just have smaller players at some of the most physical positions on the field

Some of those Pete Carroll teams were just as good as Saban's Alabama's teams. Major college Football is all about the coaching and recruiting. The right coach will attract big/fast lineman. Urban Meyer had no issues attracting those big lineman to Ohio State. They beat Bama in 2014-15.

If you're belly aching about national recruits heading to "the south", you only need to look to your left and right. I grew up in the Midwest and have been in TX, GA &TN for games and can tell you that it is an entirely different experience for a player there than on the West coast. Recognized, revered, rewarded, worshiped, whatever adjective you'd like to use, it would apply to a player on a Big10 or SEC player. The back-up punter in Wisconsin has a better chance of getting recognized in Madison than a starting WR at Cal. People live and die there for CFB and the kids sense that when they visit. Visit South Bend, Lafayette, Knoxville or Athens on a football weekend and you will see why kids want to go there.

Consider the latest example when you look at something as simple as ticket prices in 2018 in Atlanta to 2019 in Santa Clara. There just isn't the same passion for CFB on the West coast.

http://fortune.com/2019/01/03/ticke...l-championship-clemson-tide-georgia-bulldogs/

@Awood
I feel you on the experience that the athletes get playing down south. There's nothing like it. But realistically, most West Coast national recruits play in their own region. They want to play close enough to home where their families and loved ones can come see them play. The South is also a huge cultural shock for a lot of West Coast guys. For most of the SEC schools are in extremely rural areas.

In the Pac 12, Cal, USC, UCLA, UW, ASU, UofU, and CU are either located or 15 minutes from metropolitan cities. IMO, Pac 12 life better prepares the player for living the NFL Big City life.

If you're belly aching about national recruits heading to "the south", you only need to look to your left and right. I grew up in the Midwest and have been in TX, GA &TN for games and can tell you that it is an entirely different experience for a player there than on the West coast. Recognized, revered, rewarded, worshiped, whatever adjective you'd like to use, it would apply to a player on a Big10 or SEC player. The back-up punter in Wisconsin has a better chance of getting recognized in Madison than a starting WR at Cal. People live and die there for CFB and the kids sense that when they visit. Visit South Bend, Lafayette, Knoxville or Athens on a football weekend and you will see why kids want to go there.

Consider the latest example when you look at something as simple as ticket prices in 2018 in Atlanta to 2019 in Santa Clara. There just isn't the same passion for CFB on the West coast.

http://fortune.com/2019/01/03/ticke...l-championship-clemson-tide-georgia-bulldogs/

Absolutely agree. Treated like hero's. Christ at CAL they wouldn't have known Jalen Brown from Joe Blow on campus.

Reactions: awood1
Absolutely agree. Treated like hero's. Christ at CAL they wouldn't have known Jalen Brown from Joe Blow on campus.

And if I was an athlete that’s just exactly how I would like it, get to be a young adult without the paparazzi

Not even it’s just too much do to outside of football look at at the nice places like la and Miami thy dog have die hard fans because it’s just too much to do at any given time. If you go to UCLA there’s 100 things you could be doing on a Saturday morning. College football has become a business now that’s all media will determine who’s there at the end..the second usc is almost shoes signs of being back they’ll be a top 5 team because they need those viewers in the la market

West coast passion for college football isn't there. We have the national championship game next week and nobody is talking about it other than it being a nuisance because traffic is going to suck.

Read this story about a JUCO transfer to Nebraska who was recognized by fans his first day in Lincoln, only three days after he was even offered a scholarship -

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/footb...cle_0bce9b70-3aa1-56a9-b271-e65956c1a5ff.html

That wouldn't happen anywhere west of the Rockies.

It seems that "going south" for the best players occurs because there are great programs there, but also that the SEC schools have low academic standards.

How many Clemson or Alabama players could, for example, get into Cal Berkeley, UCLA, or Stanford?

It seems that "going south" for the best players occurs because there are great programs there, but also that the SEC schools have low academic standards.

How many Clemson or Alabama players could, for example, get into Cal Berkeley, UCLA, or Stanford?

Vanderbilt is an SEC school, so they don’t ALL have low academic standards. It is ranked the 9th hardest college to get into in America. Stanford is #2. Cal is #33, and UCLA is #47. Of course, most people don’t even know they’re in the SEC, or even have a football team.

https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/hardest-to-get-in/

Last edited:
They all could get into CAL/UCLA. Stanford.... no way. Different level all together. No dummy's posted on the front door. Remember JKIDD played at CAL folks. He barely could read/write coming out of HS.

Vandy- great school. I think they have much higher academic standards for athletes as well.

Reactions: RidgeRider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT