ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA Finals start Friday

I hope a lot of people on this board, and a lot of players, watched.

Local girl Chelsea Gray played a huge part ...

Reactions: kkross22
I just hope players and parents are watching -- but my guess, sadly, is that they're not. There's so much to learn, but almost as important is supporting female athletes.

Reactions: kkross22
Question about the half court violation....
why is that not revuable? Seems like that could easily be reviewed?

I don't get that either, but it was really pretty close. I'm not sure how the rule is written either: Does the ball need to be touched in front court before eight seconds, or if it has been released (as on an inbounds pass), does that count?

Reactions: observer22
In respect to when half court counts- lobo stated that it is the same as a shot. The time is measured at the point that the ball comes out of the players hands. Yes that was close, but what wasn't was the foul that was called on Parker on the ensuing play. That was a clean block by Parker and she maintained possession. Replays showed inches between the players and only contact with the ball. The half court violation would have meant little if the just would have gotten the next call correct. Big difference that play made. It gave Min two free throws and a 4 point lead instead of a Sparks possession with a 2 point lead. That put the Sparks into a situation where they had to foul. The officials made two game deciding officiating errors in a row.

Officials make mistakes -- if L.A. hadn't been outrebounded by 14 (screening out, a task that takes primarily focus rather than skill, would have made a difference here), the bad calls wouldn't have mattered.

You have to be good enough to overcome the inevitable officiating mistakes.

Officials being human will always make mistakes but that still doesn't justify them. They also need to be held accountable just like players are.

Of course ... they just got publicly slapped by the league. Kristi Toliver took a horrible shot late, and Candace Parker screened out Fowles about 1/3 of the time. Lindsay Whalen took a horrible shot that somehow went in, etc.

If you expect the refs to be perfect down the stretch and you've only played well enough to be up two, then you're playing against the odds.

What a game ... what an epic ending to the 20th season.

And local girl Chelsea Gray played a huge role, scoring seven straight points for LA in the second half to keep them in it.

This one was worth watching ... great play by both teams. Maya Moore was spectacular and Nneka Ogwumike would not be denied on the gamewinner.

And how many of those who claim to support girls' and women's basketball made time to watch it?

Games 1 and 5 were classic down-to the wire contests. As they were carried on ESPN, I'm sure they're available on the ESPN app replay feature.

It's funny..I can sit down and watch (men or women) a college basketball game ALL day but I can't seem to muster enough interest to watch quarter of an NBA or WNBA game. They're two different games (college vs. pro) and the pro game is meh...And while I do support girls basketball, I didn't watch all but maybe 1-2 quarters? I LOVE baseball, but haven't seen a post-season game this year. Just cause you don't watch it doesn't mean you don't support it.

I watched the games and they were mostly close and very exciting. Saw some really good basketball. Oh Clay- Chelsea scored 11 straight points not 7 in the second half. Seen wouldn't be that impressive. She had 3 out of the five games where she made a major impact. Nnika ( the Stanford girl also had a huge series.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT