ARHS 7-1
Bells 6-0
SHC 6-1
SF 5-2
S.I. 4-2
Serra 4-2
Mitty 1-4

Combined 41 wins 12 losses

Does VC finally have a quality team to challenge in WCAL?

VC has a good team but schedules cupcakes throughout the preseason as does SHC so I don't give ANY credence to their records going into WCAL play! Also Riordan had a decent run in the Crusader Classic with wins over HBM / Berkeley but haven't been impressive in many of their wins (Lick, Stuart Hall) although Chun has found his "mojo" that was missing last season.... I still have Bellarmine, Mitty and St Ignatius at the top of the WCAL with VC slated in right below the top three. I think that Serra, St Francis, Riordan and SHC are on the next tier.

SHC has played James Logan who on this very forum is suppose to be a top team in Norcal right? They also played Fairview from Colorado which is a very good team. They also played St. Joe's. 3 good comp games with a record of 2-1 in those games but I guess thats not good enough.

Just looked the NorCalPreps Top 20 and 3 WCAL teams are ranked: Bells #8, SF #11 & Riordan #16

VC 8-0
ARHS 7-1
Bells 6-0
SHC 6-1
SF 5-2
S.I. 4-2
Serra 4-2
Mitty 1-4

Combined 41 wins 12 losses

Current WCAL teams CCS rankings:

1 - Bells top ranked team in CCS
2 - VC
4 - Riordan
6 - SF
10 - SHC
17 - S.I.
28 - Serra
48 - Mitty

* Looks like it could be a long season for both Serra & Mitty..

Yea VC ain’t played nobody. They’re running. They do that on purpose so after they only win a couple games in WCAL they can still be .500

Current WCAL teams CCS rankings:

1 - Bells top ranked team in CCS
2 - VC
4 - Riordan
6 - SF
10 - SHC
17 - S.I.
28 - Serra
48 - Mitty

* Looks like it could be a long season for both Serra & Mitty..

Those Maxpreps rankings are completely wack! Mitty is a good team that has played a high level of competition and will benefit from it once the WCAL season starts.

I still stand by my assertion that SHC's schedule is soft - Fairview is a very average team from CO, St Joes especially w/o Ba is a shadow of their recent teams. I do give them major props for a solid win vs James Logan though. The other teams on their preseason schedule are complete garbage.

I guess we'll find out on Jan 2nd when SHC hosts Mitty.....

The WCAL bottom feeders can't schedule too hard in the preseason though in case they go 0-14 in league play as they need a minimum number of wins to be eligible for post season play.

Reactions: GOTF
Those Maxpreps rankings are completely wack! Mitty is a good team that has played a high level of competition and will benefit from it once the WCAL season starts.

I still stand by my assertion that SHC's schedule is soft - Fairview is a very average team from CO, St Joes especially w/o Ba is a shadow of their recent teams. I do give them major props for a solid win vs James Logan though. The other teams on their preseason schedule are complete garbage.

I guess we'll find out on Jan 2nd when SHC hosts Mitty...
We'll see a different team from SHC come January when Oscar Cheng takes over at center. I still don't know how good he is. What else the Irish need to do is play some better defense. With good offensive players, all Cheng has to worry about is rebounding. Keeping the other guys from getting second shots is as good as a turnover.

Last edited:
Nice to see the lower tier WCAL teams doing well in non-league as they will need a good record to sustain league play into the CCS playoff rounds.
This season looks to be very competitive from top to bottom. Let's see how this plays out!
My top WCAL teams in order of predicted finish: (despite non-league records)
  1. St. Ignatius
  2. Mitty
  3. Bellarmine
  4. Serra (Welcome back Coach Rapp!)
  5. St. Francis
  6. Riordan
  7. SHC
  8. Valley Christian

SHC has played James Logan who on this very forum is suppose to be a top team in Norcal right? They also played Fairview from Colorado which is a very good team. They also played St. Joe's. 3 good comp games with a record of 2-1 in those games but I guess thats not good enough.

Of course not. SHC could beat the top 12 in the country and some wise guy will still call it a "cupcake" schedule. I don't see why some people are picking the Irish so low. They're certainly not lacking in offense. All they need is size in the middle and a more effective defense.

At this point, doesn't appear much separates any of the WCAL teams. As I stated earlier, could be a real fight for WCAL supremacy this year.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Any thoughts on Mitty? They have played a very tough schedule, but the lack of scoring is alarming.

Streak, when I watched Mitty play three games up at Gridley, they looked like a talented group that simply hadn’t found a groove yet.

They’d better find it quick...

Streak, when I watched Mitty play three games up at Gridley, they looked like a talented group that simply hadn’t found a groove yet.

They’d better find it quick...

They'll find it Jan 2nd up on Ellis Street.....

Updated Records as of 12/29:

VC 9-0
SHC 9-1
ARHS 9-1
Serra 7-2
Bells 6-2
S.I. 7-3
Mitty 1-8

Jordan -
I don't know the "SOS" of the above records, but gotta ask how sure you are that S.I.-Bells - Mitty will be the top 3 teams in WCAL. Looking at Mitty's schedule they have played some very good teams, but still 6 of the 8 losses have been by double digits [very "UnMittyLike"]. Is it just a brutal line-up or has Mitty & VC changed uniforms?

Updated Records as of 12/29:

VC 9-0
SHC 9-1
ARHS 9-1
Serra 7-2
Bells 6-2
S.I. 7-3
Mitty 1-8

Jordan -
I don't know the "SOS" of the above records, but gotta ask how sure you are that S.I.-Bells - Mitty will be the top 3 teams in WCAL. Looking at Mitty's schedule they have played some very good teams, but still 6 of the 8 losses have been by double digits [very "UnMittyLike"]. Is it just a brutal line-up or has Mitty & VC changed uniforms?
Rmbr
My revised predicted order of finish based on health of teams:
Bells
SF
SI
Mitty
Serra
Riordan
VC
SHC

Agree, Mitty has played a grueling schedule, but lack of points scored is of concern. 3 pt shooting is the great equalizer now in basketball. SI, SF, Serra, SHC and Riordan are showing good firepower based on non-league.

Archbishop Mitty (2-8) Best strength of schedule in the WCAL
Best Win: Gridley (9-4) National Rank 3449
Lost to 4 teams with National Ranks below 1000 [Dublin, Folsom, Ferris {WA}, & Santa Margarita]
Opponents won 81 games and lost 47 games.

Bellarmine (8-2) 2nd Best strength of schedule in the WCAL
Best Win: Brentwood (Los Angeles) (8-2) National Rank 240
Played 4 teams with National Ranks below 1000 [Sequoia, Franklin {WA}, Brentwood, & St. Anthony], lost 2 games
Opponents won 71 games and lost 43 games.

Archbishop Riordan (9-1) 3rd Best strength of schedule in the WCAL
Best Win: Acalanes (11-4) National Rank 556
Played 3 teams with National Ranks below 1000 [Lick-Wilmerding, Acalanes, & University], lost 1 game
Opponents won 78 games and lost 46 games.

Saint Francis (8-2) 4th Best strength of schedule in the WCAL
Best Win: Palma (6-4) National Rank 2429
Lost to 2 teams with National Ranks below 1000 [Modesto Christian & Brophy Prep {AZ}]
Opponents won 68 games and lost 47 games.

Saint Ignatius (7-3) 5th Best strength of schedule in the WCAL
Best Win: Loyola (8-3) National Rank 892
Played 3 teams with National Ranks below 1000 [Loyola, Dallas Jesuit {TX} & Las Lomas], lost 2 games
Opponents won 64 games and lost 61 games.

Serra (8-2) 6th Best strength of schedule in the WCAL
Best Win: Heritage (12-2) National Rank 120
Played 4 teams with National Ranks below 1000 [Regis Jesuit {CO}, Sequoia, University, & Heritage], lost 2 games
Opponents won 56 games and lost 62 games.

Valley Christian (9-0) 7th Best strength of schedule in the WCAL
Best Win: Palma (6-4) National Rank 2429
Played no teams with National Ranks below 1000
Opponents won 36 games and lost 57 games.

VC Has a Non-League Game scheduled on January 15th, vs. Oak Park, who is National Ranked at 326. This game is not part of the schedule strength until the game is played.

Sacred Heart Cathedral (9-1) 8th Best strength of schedule in the WCAL
Best Win: James Logan (7-4) National Rank 478
Played 1 team with a National Rank below 1000 [James Logan]
Opponents won 51 games and lost 57 games.

Last edited:
I found a second win by Mitty, and 2 more wins by Bellarmine, that were not listed on MaxPreps earlier today. They should be listed sometime tomorrow. I sent MaxPreps 2 support tickets with the added results, today.

I found a second win by Mitty, and 2 more wins by Bellarmine, that were not listed on MaxPreps earlier today. They should be listed sometime tomorrow. I sent MaxPreps 2 support tickets with the added results, today.
Stats, did you mean SHC loss was to SJND?

NCP Rankings are the most true rankings IMO. StreakOne does a great job.
Jan 1 NCP Rankings:
1. Salesian (13-1)
2. Bishop O'Dowd (6-4)
3. Capital Christian (8-5)
4. Folsom (11-3)
5. Modesto Christian (9-2)
6. Sheldon (7-4)
7. Las Lomas (11-0)
8. Moreau Catholic (6-2)
9. St. Francis, Mountain View (8-2)
10. Menlo (7-1)
11. Palo Alto (7-2)
12. Clayton Valley Charter (12-0)
13. Bellarmine (8-2)
14. Serra (8-2)

15. University (12-1)
16. Riordan (9-1)
17. Berkeley (11-3)
18. Dublin (10-3)
19. Heritage (12-2)
20. Logan (7-4)

Last edited:
Interesting looking at NCP's rankings SF #9. Bells #13, Serra #14 & Riordan #16 and undefeated VC nowhere to be found.
Are both S.I. and SHC not ranking worthy looking at 17-20?
Guessing Mitty was omitted strictly based upon record not taking into consideration teams they've played.

Just read article Jordan posted and saw that for Serra both their tallest players are out injured for the season: Jack Wilson their 7-footer and Cade Reese 6'6 junior leaving the Padres no taller than 6'3. Its interesting as Riordan is in similar situation as Serra while VC boasts the most height of any WCAL team. Possibly everyone is discounting VC simply due to their long drought of being a competitive team in league [?]..

Interesting looking at NCP's rankings SF #9. Bells #13, Serra #14 & Riordan #16 and undefeated VC nowhere to be found.
Are both S.I. and SHC not ranking worthy looking at 17-20?
Guessing Mitty was omitted strictly based upon record not taking into consideration teams they've played.
StreakOne's analysis simply takes into account SOS and Win-Loss. Mitty's SOS, while impressive, did not pass the W-L muster. The only Bay Area team the Monarchs played was against Dublin in a loss.
All of this can (and will) quickly change as League Play throughout NorCal starts this week. Happy New Year All!

Last edited:
Just read article Jordan posted and saw that for Serra both their tallest players are out injured for the season: Jack Wilson their 7-footer and Cade Reese 6'6 junior leaving the Padres no taller than 6'3. Its interesting as Riordan is in similar situation as Serra while VC boasts the most height of any WCAL team. Possibly everyone is discounting VC simply due to their long drought of being a competitive team in league [?]..
SI also has lost its 6-6 and 6-8 juniors for the season and the transfer of 6-5 Jaedon Roberts, but return 3-year starters in 6-1 wings Redmond, Beckman and lightning-quick 5-9 Trammel.

Kennedy in the article echoes my thoughts. I think there is complete parody this year in league. I dont think there will be any easy wins for anyone. I dont expect Bellarmine to run the table like they did last year and expect more regression to the mean this year. I predict a 3, possible 4 way tie for league champion this year.

I believe this year will be as competitive as we've seen in quite some time but give the edge to the Bells to win league.... SI loses too much size to be a serious contender...

Reactions: Scott2138
Kennedy in the article echoes my thoughts. I think there is complete parody this year in league. I dont think there will be any easy wins for anyone. I dont expect Bellarmine to run the table like they did last year and expect more regression to the mean this year. I predict a 3, possible 4 way tie for league champion this year.
Grammar Cop: "Parity".

I love parody of WCAL games because before every game, everyone prays and "Live Jesus in our hearts". Then when the ball is tipped, Jesus I think left the building.

SHC 31 - Mitty 28 - at half. Watching on The Cube. I heard that Bryce Monroe leads SHC with 13 points in first half.

Varsity Basketball- Serra 33 Valley Christian 19- halftime (off Twitter feed).

Varsity boys basketball at the half SF 22 AR 13

Bells fight back. Trial 22-23 at the break. #gobells #bellsports

SHC 64 Mitty 60 final. Nice win by SHC. Very poor effort / low basketball IQ and/or very off night for Mitty. Huge foul disparity with SHC shooting 27 free throws to five for Mitty. Neal and Monroe with 21 points each.

Riordan dies by the jump shot tonight. SF slaps a zone and Crusaders cannot hit anything and are tentative in their play. SF converts on Riordan misses. Riordan did cut lead to single digits when SF went to man D, but too many unforced turnovers could not overcome the deficit. Chun had an off night, tho SF D had a lot to do with it. Logan Johnson had a workmanlike 20 pts tonight including a nice flush. Disappointing to see no zone breaker after University used the same tactic.

Last edited:
Bellarmine 72-66 in OT. The shine is off the Cats. Now you got to figure the clock is ticking on them. As for clocks, Riordan's clock struck 12 tonight, but St. Francis is always a tough place to get a W. WCAL defenders have a way of making shooters look bad.

As uncreative SHC is on offense, the Monarchs are too. Watched the Irish game on cube. I can only imagine the SHC coach's strategy while scribbling on his board.."ok kids, get the ball to Monroe, go one on one if shot not there kick to O'Neil, OK? Break!" At least Monroe is aggressive to paint. It took Mitty 3 qtrs to have secondary defender take offensive charge against Monroe. Can I get a back-door cut, please? They do run. Can you imagine a Mission Zelaya coaching this group? Again,absolutely no one in middle for Irish. The young 6'8" transfer looks promising, but tentative right now. He should be O.K (given being a sophomore).

Last edited:
Still shaking my head at how bad Mitty looked tonight but give the Irish credit for protecting their home court. Surprised that Serra took VC to the woodshed on the road no less....

Reactions: Scott2138
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT