ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 WCAL Hoops Wrap Up/2020-21 Outlook

Prep2Prep Preview of tonight’s games.
Serra tries to stay undefeated as it travels to Bellarmine.
Riordan’s Mor Seck sits out tonight for receiving 2 technical fouls from last Friday night’s SI game. Bryce Monroe still nursing his hip flexor injury. In turn, VC hit by the flu bug.
http://www.prep2prep.com/feature.aspx?ArticleID=29786

Bellarmine 65 – Junipero Serra 14
Archbishop Riordan 78 – Valley Christian 43
Archbishop Mitty 84 – Sacred Heart Cathedral 71
Saint Francis 56 – Saint Ignatius 44

Tues Night WCAL Roundup:
  • Bellarmine 65 Serra 14 (not a typo!)
  • St. Francis 56 St. Ignatius 44
  • Mitty 84 SHC 71
  • Riordan 78 VC 43
Bells in the City @ Riordan’s Crusader Forum Friday night!

Reactions: mansnothot
Tues Night WCAL Roundup:
  • Bellarmine 65 Serra 14 (not a typo!)
  • St. Francis 56 St. Ignatius 44
  • Mitty 84 SHC 71
  • Riordan 78 VC 43
Bells in the City @ Riordan’s Crusader Forum Friday night!

Brace yourself, young man. Defensive intensity awaits in the half-court.

Energy at the Bellarmine game was unreal, I’ve never seen anything like. The Bells are as good as advertised. This Bells have the potential to beat Sheldon if they stay healthy.
That energy must have come solely from the team. The crowd was disappointingly sparse and was mentioned by the commentator on the NCS TV stream.
Very impressed by the Bells defense, in particular their bigs as they are disciplined and play with their hands straight up in the air and they move their feet and do not leave their feet on the opponent's first move to try to block it. Rather they stay grounded. A perfect storm where the Padres could not buy a bucket, combined with the stifling Bells defense and execution on offense.
Question for Friday's game: Will the Bells run with the Crusaders or will it slow it down in the half court? The Bells zoned the Crusaders last season. Will be interesting if they go to this with a 7 footer and several that are 6-7+ down low.
Crusaders have taken care of business with the 3 teams they should be beating by an avg margin of 27 points. And that is without Bryce for the most part and without Mor tonight! Team defense is steadily improving and the offense is getting everyone involved. It's Je'lani's team and he is leading the charge with his defense and passing/moving and finding the open man while still being patient. Just like Coach Wooden said "Be quick, but don't hurry." Lol! Get there early!

Last edited:
Reactions: serdaprs
That energy must have come solely from the team. The crowd was disappointingly sparse and was mentioned by the commentator on the NCS TV stream.
Very impressed by the Bells defense, in particular their bigs as they are disciplined and play with their hands straight up in the air and they move their feet and do not leave their feet on the opponent's first move to try to block it. Rather they stay grounded. A perfect storm where the Padres could not buy a bucket, combined with the stifling Bells defense and execution on offense.
Question for Friday's game: Will the Bells run with the Crusaders or will it slow it down in the half court? The Bells zoned the Crusaders last season. Will be interesting if they go to this with a 7 footer and several that are 6-7+ down low.
Crusaders have taken care of business with the 3 teams they should be beating by an avg margin of 27 points. And that is without Bryce for the most part and without Mor tonight! Team defense is steadily improving and the offense is getting everyone involved. It's Je'lani's team and he is leading the charge with his defense and passing/moving and finding the open man while still being patient. Just like Coach Wooden said "Be quick, but don't hurry." Lol! Get there early!
Love Je'lani team

Reactions: serdaprs
Not sure what I just witnessed at Bellarmine but it was BAD. Serra looked like they had never played a game before. 14 points are you kidding me?

Should be a great game Friday night. I am going to head up to enemy territory to watch the Bells take on Riordan friday night. Clark is playing really well and they are sharing the ball and defending. As I stated before if they all buy in they are going to be really hard to beat.

Reactions: jordan24
...That is until Bryce returns, then it's the 2 seniors' that will drive and lead the Crusaders. I wish him a speedy recovery!
No it's not Bryce team. If it plays out like Je'lani vs. Bellarmine then Riordan will lose. If its Riordan vs Bellarmine then it will be a good game. Riordan is just fine without Bryce. Hoping they continue success vs the better teams in the league.

Basketball is a team game. Its no ones team, my opinion. In order to be a good team, players have to sacrifice aspects of there game to jell together to win. Sure there are certain players that are key cogs. But what separates good teams from great teams is when everyone is on board to win. No certain agendas. If you are into individual sports run track, golf or box.

Basketball is a team game. Its no ones team, my opinion. In order to be a good team, players have to sacrifice aspects of there game to jell together to win. Sure there are certain players that are key cogs. But what separates good teams from great teams is when everyone is on board to win. No certain agendas. If you are into individual sports run track, golf or box.
Agree with you and Coach Monroe. Basketball is a team game and every player is accountable and needs to buy in and play together. My point is that many on this team, though talented, it is their first year playing together at the varsity level and some have not played the game that long! Compare that to Je'Lani and Bryce who've been playing since young kids at a high level... These two are seniors and are the ones that the rest of the team look for leadership on the court. At the end of the day it's not all about individual stats, it's about did the team win or lose. If they win, move on to the next. If it's a loss, learn from it. Looking forward to Friday night!

Cant speak on the Africans. Mor. Chan. Riny Riny. Or Toyo. But most of these kids. Kids period playing at high level bball programs have been playing aau/club hoop for years. Since 6 or 7.

Some at a high level. Nationals, LA, Portland, Vegas... For example. Hubbard and Quanicos played pee wee hoops at the Sf Boys club [ernest ingold] when they were at least 6 or 7.

Gone are the days of guys just playing cyo hoops.

Monroe and Clark-Oak Rebels.
Quanico and Hubbard-Sf Rebels/sf rebels-bay city
Wilson-Bay Area Warriors
Barra SF-bay city
Vahiola-Bay Area Renegades

This isn't unique. Go down roster after roster and you will see the influence of certain club teams/organizations. As it relates to high school basketball, teams that can blend in talent and or be coached usually do well down the road.

Last edited:
Friday Night WCAL Showdowns! All games @ 7:30pm except for SHC-SF game. Tip-off @ 3pm
Streaming information will be provided if/when it becomes available.
  • St. Ignatius @ Mitty
    • Young Wildcat team looking to get its first win in the WCAL. Not likely to happen against a talented and high-scoring Monarch squad on the road. Winner: Mitty
  • Serra @ Valley Christian
    • Padres looking to bounce back from its trouncing by the Bells. Look for Serra to come back with a vengeance against the Warriors. Winner: Serra
  • Sacred Heart Cathedral @ St. Francis
    • Probably the 2nd best matchup of the night with the running Irish vs the young three-point shooting Lancers. This game should go down to the wire. Winner: SHC
  • Bellarmine @ Riordan
    • Game of the night! The talented and tall Bells coming off its blowout win over the once undefeated Padres, travel up to the City and face Riordan at the Crusader Forum. The place should be rocking with an anticipated big crowd to see these 2 teams meet for the first time this season with 1st place at stake. Riordan took 2 out of 3 games last year winning in double digits. Bellarmine took the third game in the CCS Open semi in overtime. Will the Bells slow it down once again and settle into a 2-3 zone? Can Riordan push the tempo in its favor? Will the Crusaders be able to counter Bellarmine's deliberate ball control passing motion offense and stout zone with its bigs and shooters? Will Riordan still be shorthanded with half of its dynamic duo senior D1-bound guards still recovering from injury? Defense will be the deciding factor. Should be a great game! Winner: Riordan

Last edited:
Friday Night WCAL Showdowns! All games @ 7:30pm
Streaming information will be provided if/when it becomes available
    • Probably the 2nd best matchup of the night with the running Irish vs the young three-point shooting Lancers. This game should go down to the wire. Winner: SHC
I'll take the Irish too provided St. Francis doesn't hit another 3-pointer at the buzzer to win it.
This game is at 3pm for some reason. It will be on NFHS Network.

Final was 75-65 Lancers. Again, no defense or rebounding. One positive is that SHC called-up Elias McCarthy from the JV's. He's a 6'5" Sophomore and he's good.

Last edited:
Friday Night WCAL Showdowns! All games @ 7:30pm except for SHC-SF game. Tip-off @ 3pm
Streaming information will be provided if/when it becomes available.
  • St. Ignatius @ Mitty
    • Young Wildcat team looking to get its first win in the WCAL. Not likely to happen against a talented and high-scoring Monarch squad on the road. Winner: Mitty
  • Serra @ Valley Christian
    • Padres looking to bounce back from its trouncing by the Bells. Look for Serra to come back with a vengeance against the Warriors. Winner: Serra
  • Bellarmine @ Riordan
    • Game of the night! The talented and tall Bells coming off its blowout win over the once undefeated Padres, travel up to the City and face Riordan at the Crusader Forum. The place should be rocking with an anticipated big crowd to see these 2 teams meet for the first time this season with 1st place at stake. Riordan took 2 out of 3 games last year winning in double digits. Bellarmine took the third game in the CCS Open semi in overtime. Will the Bells slow it down once again and settle into a 2-3 zone? Can Riordan push the tempo in its favor? Will the Crusaders be able to counter Bellarmine's deliberate ball control passing motion offense and stout zone with its bigs and shooters? Will Riordan still be shorthanded with half of its dynamic duo senior D1-bound guards still recovering from injury? Defense will be the deciding factor. Should be a great game! Winner: Riordan

Dare we bring up the tender subject of coaching? Isn't that a big factor in the WCAL? Preparation? Adjustments? Strategy?

They are Africans. Yes. from Sierra Leone and Sudan. Africans....Am I wrong. Not African Americans. As someone who has been to Africa i do know the distinct differences. Different regions/languages, customs. etc.

The Africans?

Watching at home.

Bellarmine is a shooting machine....just shooting the ball like crazy.

Bryce is having an awesome 3rd quarter.....just hit a beautiful step back three to cut the Belles lead from 7 to 4 (46-42)

So, I have thoughts on this Riordan game. Tale of 2 halves. Why was Monroe not involved the first half? I think we saw the 2nd half as he goes as does the Riordan offense. I get it, they looked GREAT versus also-rans the last 2 games. But let's get real now. Know who the best players are on your team and get the ball in their hands. First 8 points the 2nd half was a direct result of Monroe (6points and 1 assist). Sek was INCREDIBLE the 2nd half. Best half of his young career. Hope he can build from it. Wilson was incredible. Everyone needs to know their role. Mitty will be another challenge. When was the last time Riordan won @ Mitty. I'll leave it at that. #WeR See you guys Tuesday. Oh and the 'R Mob'. Please get rid of that section. Embarrassing. Leave it to the band to get the team going. Thoughts?

So, I have thoughts on this Riordan game. Tale of 2 halves. Why was Monroe not involved the first half? I think we saw the 2nd half as he goes as does the Riordan offense. I get it, they looked GREAT versus also-rans the last 2 games. But let's get real now. Know who the best players are on your team and get the ball in their hands. First 8 points the 2nd half was a direct result of Monroe (6points and 1 assist). Sek was INCREDIBLE the 2nd half. Best half of his young career. Hope he can build from it. Wilson was incredible. Everyone needs to know their role. Mitty will be another challenge. When was the last time Riordan won @ Mitty. I'll leave it at that. #WeR See you guys Tuesday. Oh and the 'R Mob'. Please get rid of that section. Embarrassing. Leave it to the band to get the team going. Thoughts?
I believe and I may be wrong but maybe the staff was trying to see how Bryce felt after being out two weeks due to injury. Bryce isn't an off guard and the opposing coaches love when the ball is not in his hands. Bryce was frustrated in the first half and I told him to stay positive and keep defending.
He wasn't 100% but he knows nobody cares and he has to perform. I thought the team as a whole played hard and the drinks go down smoother when you win. I look forward to the rest of the season. Its almost over for my kids in high school ball just trying to enjoy it.
I really liked Secks game tonight and the energy from Dom(19 rebounds) .
Toot the Monroe horn a bit. He didn't come back vs the under 500 teams. He came back vs Bellarmine and did his thing. Proud Dad. Hate if you want. I will say again because when he has a bad game people love to share. Go look at all the big games and see what he has done!

Welcome back Bryce Monroe! That young man was a warrior tonight against the nation's 14th ranked team according to MaxPreps.
Riordan appeared out of sorts in the first half and still stayed within 6 points at halftime, mainly due to their defense, rebounding and hustle. The second half Riordan really stepped up its D and Bryce took over with some nice drives and hitting from the outside. One particular play had Bryce take a few dribbles and took a step back 3 - nothing but net! Wow! He appeared laboring late in the second half, but stuck it out and was just a beast tonight.
The Riordan starting 5 was the perfect combination to face the Bells. Really liked the energy, defense and rebounding of all the players. I was not sure how Riordan would fare after seeing Rob Vaihola's hand in a wrap and sitting out against the tall and physical Bells. The Crusaders matched their physicality as there were numerous jump balls from fighting for possession...
Mor served notice against the Bell's 6-9 jr who came in with more accolades at this point. I think Mor and Wilson must have had at least 10 rebounds each, many coming from the offensive end. It would have been nice if the player information on the main scoreboard was displayed. Bryce, Jelani and Mor easily were the leading scorers. Looking forward to seeing the final tally. Next up - the Mitty Monarchs in San Jose. Great comeback win Riordan!

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Dare we bring up the tender subject of coaching? Isn't that a big factor in the WCAL? Preparation? Adjustments? Strategy?
Coaching certainly factored in tonight's game. Preparing the team to play w/o it’s starting 6-7 PF, great 2nd half adjustment as they were trailing @ halftime, strategy of leveraging your speed, athleticism, physicality and height and the team buying into it by playing with pure heart and determination. Nice job Coach Curtin!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT