ADVERTISEMENT

'21-'22 Preseason Thread

OnBall8

Hall of Famer
Dec 16, 2012
Alright folks, enough of the off season/ covid year bickering. Looks like we have a "real" season coming up. Practices have started and schedules should be locked in.

Who you got as your top teams in NorCal?

Top teams in different sections?

Let's hear em and start some real debates!

Agree PW and Mitty will be at the head of the class, though perhaps not quite as far ahead as in prior years.

I assume St. Mary's will again be strong, but others will know better.

SI should be solid.

St. Francis will be more competitive than they have been in a while. Lots of returning seniors.

Suspect Menlo and Woodside Priory will take a step back.

Reactions: OnBall8
Mitty, Pinewood, Salesian, Carondelet, SMS. Not necessarily in that order but that is your clear cut top 5 teams. Pinewood probably closer to 5 than 1 due to the severe talent loss but those teams are all elites and I would guess will be in Open. Salesian is in that mix too as far as Norcal teams. A lot of unknown this year. Is O dowd still good? Very excited for a full season.

Mitty, Pinewood, Salesian, Carondelet, SMS. Not necessarily in that order but that is your clear cut top 5 teams. Pinewood probably closer to 5 than 1 due to the severe talent loss but those teams are all elites and I would guess will be in Open. Salesian is in that mix too as far as Norcal teams. A lot of unknown this year. Is O dowd still good? Very excited for a full season.
Good call LBJ6. Do we include Fresno in Norcal?

My preseason rankings would be as follows:
1. St Marys
2. Mitty
3. Salesian
4. Carondelet
5. Pinewood
6. SRV
7. Bishop O'Dowd
8. Folsom
9. Piedmont
10. St Ignatius

Would love to hear thoughts.

Last edited:
Does Salesian have any big names that I dont know? I honestly can't recall and have not seen them in 2 years. I can name at least one big name from the others listed in the top 5.

Does Salesian have any big names that I dont know? I honestly can't recall and have not seen them in 2 years. I can name at least one big name from the others listed in the top 5.
You play the name on the front of the jersey, not the back. Salesian should be solid this year with solid players. I still put Pinewood in the Top 3. Count Doc out if you choose to. Maybe Pinewood, Mitty and Carondelet with Sopak there now. In no particular order for a Top 3?

Good call LBJ6. Do we include Fresno in Norcal?

My preseason rankings would be as follows:
1. St Marys
2. Mitty
3. Salesian
4. Carondelet
5. Pinewood
6. SRV
7. Bishop O'Dowd
8. Folsom
9. Piedmont
10. St Ignatius

Would love to hear thoughts.
I like the list. I don't know anything about Fresno outside of Clovis West being a State champion caliber team every year. I would throw Heritage in the mix of that top 10 as well. They have a High Major Muse on their roster. I'd say like most years. We are very top heavy in Norcal.

You play the name on the front of the jersey, not the back. Salesian should be solid this year with solid players. I still put Pinewood in the Top 3. Count Doc out if you choose to. Maybe Pinewood, Mitty and Carondelet with Sopak there now. In no particular order for a Top 3?
I think you have to go St Marys > Mitty. They beat Mitty last season and they return everyone. Mitty lost a lot. Pinewood lost all 5 starters. Yes Ladine is a stud. I do not think they have enough despite great coaching.

Reactions: Winning Is Fun
You mean 5 star recruit and another D1 transfer. But yes, Sopak is responsible for getting them there lol. That will rise you above others pretty quick

I think you have to go St Marys > Mitty. They beat Mitty last season and they return everyone. Mitty lost a lot. Pinewood lost all 5 starters. Yes Ladine is a stud. I do not think they have enough despite great coaching.
Kind of what I was thinking too.. but also why I asked about Salesian. I just don't know much about them. Do they have enough to overtake Mitty and PW with what those 2 lost to graduation?

You play the name on the front of the jersey, not the back. Salesian should be solid this year with solid players.
Gee thanks for the lesson... I'll keep that in mind next time I lace em up... All I was wondering is if there was a reason that poster put them ahead of C-let and pinewood. Obviously it is all entirely guesswork but we all have different tidbits of info/ rumors/ predictions that lead us to our rankings. I was just wondering if there were specific solid players, or they are returning a number of starters.. I couldnt even tell you how Salesian did last year. I know the track record of all the top teams, but good rankings cant be solely based on history

Kind of what I was thinking too.. but also why I asked about Salesian. I just don't know much about them. Do they have enough to overtake Mitty and PW with what those 2 lost to graduation?

Gee thanks for the lesson... I'll keep that in mind next time I lace em up... All I was wondering is if there was a reason that poster put them ahead of C-let and pinewood. Obviously it is all entirely guesswork but we all have different tidbits of info/ rumors/ predictions that lead us to our rankings. I was just wondering if there were specific solid players, or they are returning a number of starters.. I couldnt even tell you how Salesian did last year. I know the track record of all the top teams, but good rankings cant be solely based on history
Sorry I wasn't trying to be rude. Just conversating as if we were all a bunch of Norcal girls hoops fans enjoying a chat in person. You definitely had a legit question. And true that good rankings can't be based on history. It will be fun to watch

@HSnut1
I guess I didn't take into consideration SMS returns a lot of players from a team that was very good last year. Norcal should be fun this year and hopefully have a shot at a state title at the Open and D1 division level.

No worries.. also just debating as if we were talking over beers..

Norcal should be fun this year and hopefully have a shot at a state title at the Open and D1 division level
On this note.. do we have the horses to compete with MD, LJCD, Sierra Canyon, etc?? The team that comes out of Norcal will of course be battle tested and ready to roll in a one game winner take all... but jeeez there is some serious talent down south right now.

On this note.. do we have the horses to compete with MD, LJCD, Sierra Canyon, etc?? The team that comes out of Norcal will of course be battle tested and ready to roll in a one game winner take all... but jeeez there is some serious talent down south right now.
Highly Highly Doubt it

In my observation the tough SoCal teams tend to play each other either in non league scheduling and tournaments not to mention the State playoffs. In Norcal, it seems like most of our top teams avoid each other like the plague or other tough teams from other places. I think that plays a part in why norcal isn't battle-tested to the degree of So cal come the State Championship game. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my take.

I too forgot about Salesian. They were very good last year, and return 4 of their top 5 scorers. The name you might know (or will know) is Fonongoloa.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSnut1 and OnBall8
I too forgot about Salesian. They were very good last year, and return 4 of their top 5 scorers. The name you might know (or will know) is Fonongoloa.
That's what I'm talking about. I do recognize that name (after a quick google search). She is force down low and will be a tough guard for many teams in the area.

Reactions: TheHillZ and HSnut1
One of the Best true Pg's I have ever watched play basketball and a Soph from Campo that played on Cal Stars that can play.
Beside Lepolo I was thinking the other D1 transfer is Epps. They have a 3rd D1 transfer which means C-Let is even deeper. 🤯

Beside Lepolo I was thinking the other D1 transfer is Epps. They have a 3rd D1 transfer which means C-Let is even deeper. 🤯
As Lepolo's dad... yes I believe their best 3 players are transfers and they have a transfer from SMS that some college coaches may be intrigued by. Lets play ball!

Don't sleep on San Ramon Valley. Underrated, high scoring, high basketball IQ, and didn't have a Senior on the roster last year going 11-0. C-Let will be looking for revenge from losing twice to SRV last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: GBBall4L
As far as NCS D3--A nice tourney (Dec 9-11) at Maria Carrillo features 6 D3 teams in the section. While we are missing our key transfer until late December, it should provide some clarity.

Maria Carrillo vs Sonoma Valley 4pm
San Marin vs Rancho Cotate 5:30pm
West County vs Credo 7pm
St. Patrick/St. Vincent vs Eureka 8:30pm

Last edited:
Don't sleep on San Ramon Valley. Underrated, high scoring, high basketball IQ, and didn't have a Senior on the roster last year going 11-0. C-Let will be looking for revenge from losing twice to SRV last season.
I don't think anyone is sleeping on SRV. I'm personally not. Had them at #6 in all of Norcal above. That's open.

Last season they only beat C-Let once. I bumped into one of the C-Let Asst coaches at a tournament a couple months back. He said with the transfers they got in they will destroy SRV this season. This particular coach actually made a case that C-Let will be tops in Norcal this upcoming season.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is sleeping on SRV. I'm personally not. Had them at #6 in all of Norcal above. That's open.

Last season they only beat C-Let once. I bumped into one of the C-Let Asst coaches at a tournament a couple months back. He said with the transfers they got in they will destroy SRV this season. This particular coach actually made a case that C-Let will be tops in Norcal this upcoming season.
Must have been Clay K 😂

One of the Best true Pg's I have ever watched play basketball and a Soph from Campo that played on Cal Stars that can play.
I thought that if a kid played for an AAU program and transfers, it's a one year sit out. Is that not the case?

As far as NCS D3--A nice tourney (Dec 9-11) at Maria Carrillo features 6 D3 teams in the section. While we are missing our key transfer until late December, it should provide some clarity.

Maria Carrillo vs Sonoma Valley 4pm
San Marin vs Rancho Cotate 5:30pm
West County vs Credo 7pm
St. Patrick/St. Vincent vs Eureka 8:30pm

St. Pats just got moved to D3 and is always competitive. The big question mark for me in d3 is going to be St. Joe's. has anyone heard who's coaching now? Do they have any competitive players?

SJND's coach is Janis Peterson Jones. They have six players on the roster, I was told.

Apparently, Gray-Lawson lasted only a few weeks before bowing out. It's not a good situation there -- with Shawn Hipol, they were a well-respected power, but the principal didn't like him and ran him off. He's at Alameda now, and we'll see how it works out for the two schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT