ADVERTISEMENT

3rd Annual CARDINAL NEWMAN Classic DEC...1,2,3 BRACKETS

Nov 30, 2014
The 3rd Annual Cardinal Newman Classic brackets and times have been finalized.

Dec 1, 2, 3 at Cardinal Newman HS

TOP HALF OF THE BRACKET

Cardinal Newman
12/1 7pm
Oakland

St. Mary's Berkeley
12/1 4pm
Campolindo

BOTTOM HALF OF THE BRACKET

Sacramento
12/1 5:30pm
Pleasant Valley

St. Mary's Stockton
12/1 8:30pm
Menlo-Atherton

Looks like the second round can be interesting between Sac high and SMS.

Predictions first round
Oakland Vs CN with CN winning
SMB Vs Campolindo with Campolindo winning
Sac high Vs Pleasant Valley with Sac high wining
SMS Vs MA with SMS winning

Second round
CN Vs Campolindo with CN winning
Sac high Vs SMS with SMS winning
SMB Vs Oakland with SMB winning
Pleasant Valley Vs MA with MA winning

Final round
CN vs Sac High with Sac High winning
Campolindo Vs SMS with SMS wining
SMB Vs MA with SMB winning
Oakland Vs Pleasant Valley with Pleasant Valley winning

1 Sac High
2 CN
3 SMS
4 Campolindo
5 SMB
6 MA
7 Pleasant Valeey
8 Oakland

This just a guess might be wrong on the Sac High Vs SMS!!!!! If that happen SMS wins tournament and Sac High 3rd place!!!!!!

Predictions first round

Second round

Final round

1 Sac High
2 CN
3 SMS
4 Campolindo
5 SMB
6 MA
7 Pleasant Valeey
8 Oakland

This just a guess might be wrong on the Sac High Vs SMS!!!!! If that happen SMS wins tournament and Sac High 3rd place!!!!!!

Interesting? Not sure on the Pleasant Valley vs MA game if that actually happens. If so that should put two pretty good post players in a battle together. It should be an interesting tournament with upset possibilities.

Predictions first round

Second round

Final round

1 Sac High
2 CN
3 SMS
4 Campolindo
5 SMB
6 MA
7 Pleasant Valeey
8 Oakland

RespectBBGame,

Based on the possible results you have above why if Sac High played SMS in the championship would Sac High be the 3rd place finisher? Wouldn't Sac High get the runner up 2nd place? Not to mention in my opinion the bottom bracket looks a bit tougher than the top does.

Oh, I see....... that wouldn't be the championship game. Yeah the bottom is definitely a bit tougher than the top bracket IMO.

But I notice many host teams set things up to have an advantage. They probably bring in refs their familar with as well. But you have to bring your own food when someone else has the home cooking and find a way to "Win Anyway".

Last edited:
IMO, even with the transfers and injuries I can see SMS going thru their bracket unchallenged and winning this tournament. I believe coach Gonsalves has these girls playing at a fast pace right away and the other schools just not quite used to the pace so early in their seasons. I know that CN has a big front line, but DeCosta will be the big problem for those girls to handle.

Reactions: Paytc
You have to love the one, two and four seed being on the same side of the bracket. This could help CN playing the easier side prior to the finals.

Too bad we can't get a MA vs CN matchup. They both play a slow down half court pound it inside game.

IMO, even with the transfers and injuries I can see SMS going thru their bracket unchallenged and winning this tournament. I believe coach Gonsalves has these girls playing at a fast pace right away and the other schools just not quite used to the pace so early in their seasons. I know that CN has a big front line, but DeCosta will be the big problem for those girls to handle.

Yeah, I agree DeCosta is a major difference maker. And I think Coach Gonsalves will have them giving a gut effort. They are still very capable of playing with just about anyone. The problem of chemistry and depth still may come into play at some point. And based on such a challenging schedule SMS may not have time to build the chemistry and trust advantage that some teams that have been playing together longer will present.

But I think SMS should win this tournament. And Campo will probably get past SMB (unless SMB guard play is too dominant that game). The winner could also upset Cardinal Newman.

Last edited:
SM should win this but a nice field of teams. The host team should have a more favorable schedule, after all they are putting in the work and they could bring the upset mojo in the finals

Who ever wins the SMS VS Sac High will when the tournament. This not your typical SMS they have to being up JV players this year and pulled up a freshman after scrimmages because they JV players for last year still caught ingredients up to game speed. SMS only has 1 returning starter and the rest that came in the game after last year team took teams hearts out. That won't be the case this year.

I've seen both MA and Sac high play this year. I don't really think at this stage of the early season either will be able to stay close with SMS. I have a feeling DeCosta playing with a chip on her shoulder wanting to prove that SMS is still quite formibdable.

I might have to rethink who going to win out of Campo and SMB after what in seen this weekend? Guard play will make the difference in this game.

I might have to rethink who going to win out of Campo and SMB after what in seen this weekend? Guard play will make the difference in this game.
What was it that was seen this weekend that will make you rethink the outcome? Did you see a scrimmage?

Last edited:
Getting nervous coach? Speed kills and St. Mary's has some backcourt speed and some elite talent. This always causes problems from teams in the burbs!

RespectBBGame,

Based on the possible results you have above why if Sac High played SMS in the championship would Sac High be the 3rd place finisher? Wouldn't Sac High get the runner up 2nd place? Not to mention in my opinion the bottom bracket looks a bit tougher than the top does.

Oh, I see....... that wouldn't be the championship game. Yeah the bottom is definitely a bit tougher than the top bracket IMO.

But I notice many host teams set things up to have an advantage. They probably bring in refs their familar with as well. But you have to bring your own food when someone else has the home cooking and find a way to "Win Anyway".
The mistake he made was not the one you mentioned, rather he has SM winning in the second round against Sac High but Sac High playing in the championship and SM playing Comp. for third place..Perhaps that was reflective of his hedging his bets or perhaps just a mistake in posting.

Well, the good indicator of how SMS will look this year should be the their game against Vanden tonite. This should be a good game.

Well, the good indicator of how SMS will look this year should be the their game against Vanden tonite. This should be a good game.
So what was the result? Was this a foundation game or a scrimmage?

St. Mary's HS 86 - 54 Vanden HS in Foundation game. N. Young 19 pts, DeCosta 16 pts 12 rbs, Oliver 12 pts 11rbs Moss 10 pts, Thomas 10 pts

St. Mary's HS 86 - 54 Vanden HS in Foundation game. N. Young 19 pts, DeCosta 16 pts 12 rbs, Oliver 12 pts 11rbs Moss 10 pts, Thomas 10 pts

I think it's fair to say SMS still has a good 6-7 player rotation as long as they stay healthy.
And it's fair to say they will be prepared to play when it comes to "game time" despite the critics, doubters, and haters. Good for them after letting Pinewood upset them last open season. Thanks for the update. Where was the game played?

It was at SM. My take is coach Gonsalves is really gearing up for next year. I'm not sure they have the backcourt this year to play their all out full court press start to finish. That's a grueling style of play and Tom may want to avoid further injury to a light roster

Letting Pinewood upset them? Were you at the game? SMS was very good last year but that night they had very little to do with "letting" anyone beat them. You can't "let" 16 three pointers find the bottom of the basket. You can't "let" an opponent scout you up and down and basically dare your PG to take uncontested shots outside of 5 feet.

Was it an upset? Of course but Pinewood won the game because they were well coached, had a game plan that basically pin pointed a specific player that was not able to score and they handled the vaunted SM press to perfection and did what they do, bury threes.

There was no "letting" of anything that night.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkross22
Willtalk
The SMS VS Sac high was no mistake. If Sac high coach put S.Brown on DeCosta she will shut her down just like she use too in Stockton Mustang practices. These teams know each other very well.

Sac high scrimmaged Mitty last Saturday. Coach Massari does a great job and has some solid players on her squad, but it was clearly evident that on Mitty players 1 thru 11 show why they are ranked where they are. Probably the best passing team in the state. Ball movement, speed and length was too much for Sac.

I think Sac will be a bit better prepared for SMS.

Letting Pinewood upset them? Were you at the game? SMS was very good last year but that night they had very little to do with "letting" anyone beat them. You can't "let" 16 three pointers find the bottom of the basket. You can't "let" an opponent scout you up and down and basically dare your PG to take uncontested shots outside of 5 feet.

Was it an upset? Of course but Pinewood won the game because they were well coached, had a game plan that basically pin pointed a specific player that was not able to score and they handled the vaunted SM press to perfection and did what they do, bury threes.

There was no "letting" of anything that night.

You pretty much called it. Pinewood out coached SMS that evening. From what I saw a zone defense allowed (16) 3 pointers to not get the type of pressure a man to man defense would have. And several other adjustments were not made. If they played 10 games IMO SMS would have beat them by 25+ in 7 and by 20+ in the other 2. Could I be wrong....yes, but based on the overwhelming talent, size, and experience advantage I'd put my money on SMS to beat them 9 of 10 times.

But hey hats off to Pinewood and Doc for (being better focused and better prepared) a very well played and coached game. I take nothing at all away from Pinewood and thought they represented the "Win Anyway" philosophy as well as I've seen in a while. And I did have nothing but good things to say about their performance.

No doubt Pinewood was the better team on that night but the right adjustments would have neutralized them IMO.

Obviously if both you and I are calling it an upset then SMS got in their own way and they let (because they didn't handle their part) Pinewood take advantage of a better game plan and better coaching that evening IMO. And IMO and probably 98% others SMS was the better team so they "let" the upset happen on "their" clock.

Not to take anything away from Pinewood because they were a pretty good(far from great) team that was very well prepared and very well coached. And they over achieved and upset a team that was as close to great as we have seen in a while.

Last edited:
Paytc

SMS beat teams by aggressive press and zones. They don't teach man to man at all. Brookside beat Pinewood in OT by playing man to man and eliminate wide open 3's by contesting their shots. Pinewood is a very good passing team that swings the ball very well. Being over aggressive on shooter they will swing the ball to the opposite side for an open 3's.

Paytc

SMS beat teams by aggressive press and zones. They don't teach man to man at all. Brookside beat Pinewood in OT by playing man to man and eliminate wide open 3's by contesting their shots. Pinewood is a very good passing team that swings the ball very well. Being over aggressive on shooter they will swing the ball to the opposite side for an open 3's.

IMO if you take Doc and Tom ( two very good coaches) out of the picture and had the kids on both sides pick the player coach they wanted and they coached themselves SMS would have beaten them by 30 or 40 points. No disrespect to Pinewood or their players (or anyone else) but the size, depth, skill level, athletism, and experience was that lop-sided.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkross22
Given the magnitude of the game and everthing on the line, undefeated season, NorCal championship, state title qualifier, numerous D1 athletes. I really can't see how SMS let them win. I can see that Doc understands the game well enough to devise a game plan that put them in position to win. No doubt the athletic and physical superiority of SMS is far superior, but it does come down to playing a game and who executes on that given night. I think this game will always be remembered as how well Pinewood played and not that SMS gave it away.

Given the magnitude of the game and everthing on the line, undefeated season, NorCal championship, state title qualifier, numerous D1 athletes. I really can't see how SMS let them win. I can see that Doc understands the game well enough to devise a game plan that put them in position to win. No doubt the athletic and physical superiority of SMS is far superior, but it does come down to playing a game and who executes on that given night. I think this game will always be remembered as how well Pinewood played and not that SMS gave it away.

No one doubted Pinewood coached and played a great game. Pinewood didn't cheat, and weren't given anything, they went out and "won" the game. I blamed SMS an gave Pinewood credit for their part. We can define the teams by one game or define them over the dominant two year run that SMS had.

The best way to really sum it up is when folks reflect back on the two teams 50 years from now one will be known ( as one of the best ever) and for only losing one game to a top ranked Dillard (with Uconn's new superstar player Crystal Dangerfield) and then upsetting MD (the team that won the Nike TOC defeating Dillard) in the California Open Division State championship the same year. Then returning to the Nike TOC and winning the Championship and reigning as the number 1 team in the nation practically for two whole years before stubbling to Pinewood in the semi finals of the California Open Division State Championship. While Pinewood's resume will read they were an above average team that pulled the shocker and upset the number 1 team in the nation.

You can define and twist the word "let" around anyway you choose. But IMO and many others SMS "let" the Open Division championship slip away from them by not choosing to but in essence "letting" Pinewood upset them. Pinewood handled their business while SMS didn't handle theirs IMO. Obviously this is not professional sports where big money is wagered and things are occasionally fixed or thrown. SMS didn't all get together and say ..."hey lets let Pinewood win so they can feel better about themselves" but......

Stevie Wonder could see SMS let one game slip away from them.That is why it will go down as one of the biggest upsets in girl's high school basketball history.

Last edited:
Respect: My comment about your first post on this thread ( # 461 ) was not about who you picked to win rather your contradiction in having SMS as the winner of the second round game with Sac High, but then having Sac High being the one to advance to the Championship game. That was the mistake I was referring to not your picking Sac High to advance. It should have been clear because I said ( mistake in posting - not mistake in who you chose to win). While your language ability in respect to posting has drastically improved, conversely it seems not to have also positively impacted affected your reading comprehension.

In respect to the subject of Pinewood upsetting SMS last season---- I don't think Paytc really meant for the term "Letting"to be taken literally. That term is often used in respect to upsets. I don't think anyone would think SMS rolled over on purpose. It was just a matter of all the variables coming together. Pinewood played a great game while SMS didn't, Pine Wood shot lights out and broke the SM press. While Pinewood did their part in breaking the press ( passed the ball well ) SMS seemed to be moving to their defensive spots much slower than usual. They appeared sluggish from the start and tired much too early. The Pinewood players seemed much quicker individually than SMS in the second half. They were totally gassed. This is really out of character for them to get tired before the other team.Why this happened is open to speculation. Individual players often have games when they just can not get it going, but for SMS it seemed to have hit the entire team that night. Perhaps they were fighting a bug? Who knows?

It was an example of a better team having a really off night against a good team playing great ball. Also when one watched SMS last year it became obvious that they were due for an upset under the right circumstances. The chemistry of the previous year just wasn't there. That along with many of the other things mentioned by posters on this thread.The were all legit and added up to an upset in the making.

Getting nervous coach? Speed kills and St. Mary's has some backcourt speed and some elite talent. This always causes problems from teams in the burbs!
Hey jaymel
First of all I am not a coach
Second of all if you watched the live stream you would have noticed that the speed in the burbs seemed to be better than the speed at St. Mary's. Campo's Junior point guard (Wagner) had no turnovers, and their Junior shooting guard (Thoms) was running fast breaks like it was a practice drill. Not bad considering they were playing against 2 committed D1 elite talent players
Campo was up by 16 at the half and was able to win by 11 (76-65) even after 2 of their starters fouled out.

Last edited:
Campo looks very good. Should be a great 2nd round game against Newman. I caught the streaming action as well. Newman game was a little sloppy early on and sometimes when you play an inferior opponent that happens. I think this will be a much cleaner played game.

St. Mary's-Stockton beat Menlo-Atherton 69-53
Pleasant Valley beat Sacramento 67-54
Campolindo beat St. Mary's-Berkley 76-65
Cardinal Newman beat Oakland 63-29

Hey jaymel
First of all I am not a coach
Second of all if you watched the live stream you would have noticed that the speed in the burbs seemed to be better than the speed at St. Mary's. Campo's Junior point guard (Wagner) had no turnovers, and their Junior shooting guard (Thoms) was running fast breaks like it was a practice drill. Not bad considering they were playing against 2 committed D1 elite talent players
Campo was up by 16 at the half and was able to win by 11 (76-65) even after 2 of their starters fouled out.

Only one D1 committed played for Saint Mary's Berkeley

I was at all 4 games and I will give my quick takes for all 4.

4pm game:
CAMPO 76 SMB 65

Nothing like a D3 playoff seeding's game your 1st game of the year...lol

1st off...Berkeley/Albany is 40 mins from Santa Rosa and it took SMB 2 hrs. to get to CN with traffic.
Thus they were late, didn't get a proper warm up and the game started 35 mins late. I say that because the lack of a normal warm up CLEARLY showed early for SMB as they couldn't hit anything. Literally couldnt hit water shooting from a boat. They were out of sync and CAMPO took advantage. Van Dyke and Thoms teamed up for a whole slew of easy fast break points (Thoms had 28). Villa didn't play for SMB and Gill was in early foul trouble and played sporadically until the 4th.
CAMPO was up 20+ midway thru the 4th before SMB made a spirited charge led by Gill to cut it to 8 with 30 secs left before ultimately losing by 11.
I thought CAMPO looked VERY good. Their guards were solid, Van Dyke was a big presence and you can tell the girls have played together for yrs.

5:30PM GAME
PV 67 SAC 54

Good D2 matchup!!!

Sasha Brown did not suit up for SAC. I don't know why she didn't suit up, Ive heard a couple of different explanations, but since I cant confirm, I wont speculate why. Needless to say she is out for the entire tourney.
Sac started 1 frosh and 4 sophs. I can see why people think Sac potentially is/will be good. They are athletic as hell, definitely talented, just a little wild and obviously a little more maturity will help.
Assuming they keep everybody together for the next 2 yrs I can see them taking big steps forward. Next year a top 10 team in norcal...and 2yrs from now top 5. They will be capable of beating some good teams this year and capable of throwing some stinkers out there also. A return when/if by Sasha Brown would definitely be a huge plus.
Pleasant Valley REALLY impressed me. Before the tourney started I would have personally seeded them #7 in the tourney if I seeded all 8 teams. So obviously this was a shocker to me, and I am eating some crow today because of it. "Peanut" Tuilele is tough in the Middle. Solid guards handled the Sac pressure pretty well. They shot the 3 well also.

I think tonight's 8pm game vs SMS is a VERY interesting matchup!!!!

7PM GAME
CN 63 OAKLAND 29

I though Oakland played well to begin. I thought CN was sloppy throughout.
Oakland only started 1 senior and a couple of underclassmen (Dunbar and McCoy) have potential...
I think Oakland has some things to be excited about for the future.
CN starters where underwhelming. Subs played most of the 2nd and 4th period.

8:30 pm Game
SMS 69 MA 53

Good D1 matchup!!!

1st SMS.....(the good) Neenah Young has really improved since I last saw her a couple of yrs ago in Reno.
She's long, athletic with a nice outside touch and definitely will play a BIG role in how far SMS goes this year. Junior guard Ariel Johnson was steady and solid. I can see why there is so much hype on frosh Amaya Oliver...shes long, athletic, and just looks the part of a high level D1 basketball player. I would be remiss to leave out the big horse in the middle (Aquira). What can I say about her that hasnt already been said??? lol...She grabs rebounds, gets stickbacks and made some impressive strong, get to the basket moves from outside the key for big time baskets. Obviosuly as she goes...so will SMS.... ..And finally on a REAL good note... I talked to Coach G before the game and he said its looking like Naje Murray will be back SOONER rather than later.
On the bad side.....SMS is not real deep. ANOTHER loss of a starter (like Naje) would be crippling....which brings me to my final negative.....De Costa with about a minute left in the game tweeked her knee. And is questionable for tonights game. If Acosta doesn't play, I would probably lean toward PV getting SMS tonight. Stay tuned....

Menlo-Atherton represented the CCS well....I thought the Kailahi sisters were solid. Mele banging 3's and Stella handling the SMS pressure. The girl that REALLY impressed me was #41 Greer Hoyem. Tough C who finished strong around the basket, grabbed rebounds and came to play.

SMS was up 16 at half. MA came out of the gate hard in the 3rd and actually cut the lead to 3 and had 2 open looks for game tieing 3's that missed. SMS timeout got them settled down before they grinded out a 16 point win. MA played tough but SMS was just too much in the end.

TODAYS GAMES:

4PM OAKLAND VS SMB
5:30 SAC VS MA
7:00 CN VS CAMPO
8:30 SMS VS PV

I noticed some grumbling about the bracket setups. All 4 games were double digit score differences, so I think they got it right. Makes for some good 2nd round games!!

If anybody comes out to the games just look for the best looking guy in the place.. That will be me...be sure to come by and say hi to the GURU

******** JUST got an update from my spies at the CN gym.....

DeCosta is going thru walkthrough with SMS, knee NOT wrapped....BUT looking stiff and not moving particularly well......apparently game time decision now....

1:10pm ******* another update....DeCosta is now OUT for precautionary reasons. Coach G is holding her out.

YEESH:(

Last edited:
Reactions: Streak One
Was M-A competitive with SMS?
M-A came out strong, beating SMS's press for 6 quick points. Then SMS starting puling away off turnovers and offensive rebounding and led by 17 at halftime. But M-A rallied and closed it to 44-41 with the ball and a chance to tie, but they didn't score. In the 4th a questionable technical foul on M-A gave SMS a 5-point play for I think a 9 or 11-point lead and they pulled away from there.

M-A came out strong, beating SMS's press for 6 quick points. Then SMS starting puling away off turnovers and offensive rebounding and led by 17 at halftime. But M-A rallied and closed it to 44-41 with the ball and a chance to tie, but they didn't score. In the 4th a questionable technical foul on M-A gave SMS a 5-point play for I think a 9 or 11-point lead and they pulled away from there.

I forgot about that call.
It was an intentional foul that was called. The ref said the MA girl pushed the SMS player in the back as she was finishing shooting a layup. It became an and1. Plus 2 shots, plus the ball. Big call in the game for sure.
It should have just been an and1. I agree questionable call.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT