ADVERTISEMENT

3rd Annual CARDINAL NEWMAN Classic DEC...1,2,3 BRACKETS

Thanks much for the info ... good report.

But you know, Campo comes from further away in the East Bay and apparently got there on time. Now if SMB was playing a local team, the traffic thing might make sense, but they both were facing the same situation.

Thanks for the solid info. M-A should be a real factor in NorCal Division I again (CCS Open is just too loaded at this point).

But you know, Campo comes from further away in the East Bay and apparently got there on time. Now if SMB was playing a local team, the traffic thing might make sense, but they both were facing the same situation.

I agree with Clay on this one. That was poor coaching on the SMB side to cut it so close. But the truth is that SMB was on the court and suited up 20 minutes before the start time but then, for some reason decided to go sit in the locker room until game time (4:00) and then come out for warm-ups.

Also, I agree with Guru that Gill was playing sporadic most of the game; but IMO she was only able to get it together when Campo's 2 forwards O'Reilly and Wagner (who plays PG on offense and forward on D) fouled out. IMO neither Gill nor Evans would have been able to get off those 3's in the last few minutes if Campo is at full strength.

Let the season play out, but believe you keep M-A in the open division. These early season games against high caliber opponents should get the ready to play in that group.

Guru- You da man! Great updates. Good luck to the CN gals. Hands full tonite. Hopefully they got some webs out and play crisper.

Let the season play out, but believe you keep M-A in the open division. These early season games against high caliber opponents should get the ready to play in that group.

M-A will be in CCS Open but, unfortunately for them, so are Pinewood, Mitty, SHC, etc. M-A probably will be bumped back to Division I once the committee meets to determine NorCal entries. Unfortunately, PAL action will be a detriment for them.

Perhaps Campo took 680 and 37 and it was easier than SMB who I assume Richmond Bridge route. It really doesn't mater though SMB wound up get there later than expected.

CN 51 Campo 31 2 minutes into 2nd half. Tall girl #11 for Campo is noticeably frustrated and not working as hard as she did last night at all.

85-54 final. Cardinal Newman. Campo a long way to go. Only had 8 girls but 11 and 23 played whole game. Got some garbage buckets in 4th against CN second string. It was obvious that Cardinal Newman was WAY more prepared than Campolindo.

SMS 78 Pleasant Valley 60. SMS versus Cardinal Newman tomorrow at 5:00 for championship. Pleasant Valley versus Campolindo at 3:30 for third place.

Wow... Looks like the favorites came to play in round 2. Nice to see a 5pm start so the girls can run down to RP and watch Newman boys win the section in football.

What would you rate as newman chances of knocking off SMS? Pressure too much??

Legend -

CN has their hands full for sure. If they handle pressure and knock down open shots like they did last night they will be competitive. SMS is so active on the boards that CN has to rebound. Personally, I think rebounding will be CN Achilles heal this year but if they can slow game down and take care of the ball anything can happen. If SMS plays like they did in the first half last night, they will not lose very many games all year. They were awesome against a very good Pleasant Valley team.

Hey jaymel
First of all I am not a coach
Second of all if you watched the live stream you would have noticed that the speed in the burbs seemed to be better than the speed at St. Mary's. Campo's Junior point guard (Wagner) had no turnovers, and their Junior shooting guard (Thoms) was running fast breaks like it was a practice drill. Not bad considering they were playing against 2 committed D1 elite talent players
Campo was up by 16 at the half and was able to win by 11 (76-65) even after 2 of their starters fouled out.
Nice win and I saw this going in the other direction but that is what you get when you try to predict outcomes without actually seeing the talent on the floor.

Nice win and I saw this going in the other direction but that is what you get when you try to predict outcomes without actually seeing the talent on the floor.
CN had great shooting. The must have shoot 60% from beyond the arc. I imagine it will be hard for anyone to beat CN if they shoot like that every game.

CN had great shooting. The must have shoot 60% from beyond the arc. I imagine it will be hard for anyone to beat CN if they shoot like that every game.
They do probably have great shooters but having a couple of active 6'3" or 6' 4" giants kind of help open thing up for their shooters.

IM REALLY REALLY HAPPY to say that Decosta suited up and played last night for SMS and didn't look any worse for the wear!!! Great kid, great family.... 2 thumbs up!!!
I guess that's what I get trying to get a 'SCOOP" about the game...lol
I will just stick to my takes on the game AFTER they are over from now on.

I thought SMS came to play last night...looked like a top 20 team in the country. Neenah Young was great.
SMS brought the heat from the get go. If they play like that, not a lot of teams in the country can beat them.

I thought CN also came to play. They had a jump in their step not there in the 1st game vs Oakland.
CN needs to keep their turnovers down vs SMS heat, crash the defensive boards and at least get no worse than a draw against DeCosta in that category, AND bang some 3's to have any chance of pulling off the upset. The one advantage they have is they are at home and shoot the ball VERY well there.

The teams have been scrimmaging against each other numerous times over the last 2 weeks (at clovis west and Stockton) and I don't think there will be a lot of surprises. They know each other pretty well at this point.

SMS clear favorite...as they have been for the entire tournament.

Reactions: kkross22
SMS by 19...

CN hung tough for almost 3 quarters...tied midway thru 3rd.
But then SMS laid down the defensive clamps, extended the D and got into CN and CN had a tough time scoring after that.
Flores from CN banged 5 3's in the 1st half to help keep CN close...Coach G was going crazy after the last one. SMS heard him loud and clear and never left her after that. CN bigs definitely DID NOT hold their own on the boards...4 rebounds between the 2 bigs for the game. Neenah Young had 5 3's in the 1st half also for SMS.

For SMS:
Decosta MVP
Young and Johnson all tourney.

For CN
Flores
Cargill
Vice-neat were all tourney

SMS definite OPEN 8 (no surprise)
I personally think CN is in the NEXT 8 category...not quite OPEN, a notch below, but better than most.

For CN they head to the Laney shootout next weekend vs Oakridge and ESP. And then off to the WCJ Diamond division and a single vs SHC.
Should have a better feel for where they stand after that.

Reactions: Paytc
Not particularly any surprises in the results. It was a good measuring stick for all the teams in the tournament. I think they should all know what things they may need to work on. Will they work on those things? Or just continue to build on the system and continue to try to make that system work better the next time. The ego approach is the most likely answer. And the coaches and players won't improve themselves as quickly or as much as a result in the process IMO.

Last edited:
I saw the video of the SMS vs CN championship game. It's very apparent that SMS plays at a frenetic pace. It's also apparent that CN is not currently comfortable in this type of tempo. Even though they kept the game close for three quarters. You could see their struggles with the speed and rebounding. In turn, SMS is willing to play at a pace that at times is a bit out of control and almost knowing that even though they may have many turnovers they can still make up for this given their edge in foot speed.

I saw the video of the SMS vs CN championship game. It's very apparent that SMS plays at a frenetic pace. It's also apparent that CN is not currently comfortable in this type of tempo. Even though they kept the game close for three quarters. You could see their struggles with the speed and rebounding. In turn, SMS is willing to play at a pace that at times is a bit out of control and almost knowing that even though they may have many turnovers they can still make up for this given their edge in foot speed.

If you have ever watched CN play you would know that the frantic up and down the court, running at the ball style of play is not what they do. They prefer the classic get back and play good man defense. They are not going to run with the likes of SMS and others that play that style. With a county of 500K people(roughly half the size of city of Stockton) they don't have the wealth of athletes that SMS has to be able to do that. So they rely on good shooting, tons of skill work and being completely prepared and scouted for whomever the play. I honestly don't know a lot of teams in the COUNTRY that can play with likes of SMS....and teams that try to run with them get smashed. Maybe 10 teams in the country can run with them and hang.
I can tell you....that coach Mertle (even if she had the athletes) would never play that style of ball.
She's old school when it comes to bball. Get back, get down and play good man to man.

When you have the size that CN does it also doesn't play to your strength to run.

CN will make a deep run in the open playoffs and on a big floor and getting to see and feel the pressure of SMS they might have a chance.

I might have to rethink who going to win out of Campo and SMB after what in seen this weekend? Guard play will make the difference in this game.

Where was Kennedi Villa ? It looked like M-A was the victim of unfortunate seeding. I hear Sac was minus a key player also. It pretty much went as expected. SMS is still at a level higher than the teams that were in this tournament. Not that one or two of them can't play with SMS. But some teams are still building confidence, chemistry, and searching for leadership and an identity.

The matchup I really wanted to see was M-A vs CN. Those two teams seem to play the same old school back to the basket type of game.

It will be interesting to watch SMS at the Nike TOC. Should be good matchups awaiting them in Az. SMS has a really tough upcoming schedule. I initially had seen they where slated to play Mitty this Wed, but Mitty leaves to play in Iolani classic instead. That would have been a really good to watch.

Only one D1 committed played for Saint Mary's Berkeley
Gill to Fullerton and Villa to SD state but doesn't look like Villa played at all. If you go 2OT vs Oakland HS while others blow them up...SMB doesn't seem to have the horses to go far this year. I'm just saying...............

Gill to Fullerton and Villa to SD state but doesn't look like Villa played at all. If you go 2OT vs Oakland HS while others blow them up...SMB doesn't seem to have the horses to go far this year. I'm just saying...............

I think the question is why didn't Villa play? SMB didn't step up big with Green, Mosely, and Cowling (two all American 6 footers)etc... So that program hasn't really impressed me in recent years. I know the Moore sisters were special but....

And I have no knowledge of them in the years prior to that. It takes coaching (for guidance and player selection rotation etc) and talent working together in harmony. Sometimes that takes patience, other times the maturity and leadership happens quickly. But it is a process.

And players staying healthy helps in the development. Perhaps SMB can point to the two All Americans not always playing at 100%?

Last edited:
Villa from SMB has a torn meniscus. I talked to her during the tourny. She hopes to get back before the season is over. SDSU I'm sure would prefer she didn't.
Sasha Brown from SAC did not make the trip. She is currently not suiting up for unspecified reasons.

Gill was interesting to me throughout the tourney. She was really kind of wild. Trying to swat everything into the stands. Getting into early foul trouble in every game. She has definite skills but played a little out of control to me. With Villa not playing they really need her to be a leader and floor general. Honestly, I was surprised at her style of play. I hadn't seen that out her last year when I saw her play a few times.

Villa from SMB has a torn meniscus. I talked to her during the tourny. She hopes to get back before the season is over. SDSU I'm sure would prefer she didn't.
Sasha Brown from SAC did not make the trip. She is currently not suiting up for unspecified reasons.

Gill was interesting to me throughout the tourney. She was really kind of wild. Trying to swat everything into the stands. Getting into early foul trouble in every game. She has definite skills but played a little out of control to me. With Villa not playing they really need her to be a leader and floor general. Honestly, I was surprised at her style of play. I hadn't seen that out her last year when I saw her play a few times.

Thanks for the update. Injuries are never good to hear about because nothing is more important than your health. Not school, basketball, money, or work. Asha Thomas managed to return from a knee injury her senior season so it can be done. And Asha hasn't let Cal down for a moment. In fact, Asha probably produced at a higher level sooner than expected.

Playing out of control can be a pretty easy fix. At least it sounds like she's not holding anything back and playing it too safe. She probably didn't want Van Dyke to think she was more athletic than she was lol...... Either case a good coach is suppose to recognize the strengths and weaknesses of their players and encourage ways to improve their games. Perhaps Villa was more of the leader so the new role and added responsibility is a bit overwhelming for Gill, Evans, and others who are shouldering a larger load.

Last edited:
Paytic- I don't believe the Moore sisters went to SMB, rather Salisian. Remember the rivalry between Green and the older sister.

Jaymel911----- SMS ( as has been pointed out by specific posters ) is a bad match up for CN. The scrimmaged SMS only a week before they played them so they had already had the opportunity to get used to their speed and press. The problem is that their big center just can not run with faster teams and she was virtually invisible of offense against SMS. The SMS bigs ( especially Decosta ) can really run along with being able to even match up with CN's height in the half court game. This year match ups should be more important than ever in the playoffs. CN could do well if they face the right match ups in the playoffs. Of course SMS was a really bad match up for Pinewood last year as well. Out comes are never predictable but with bad matchups a lot more of the other variables have to fall into place to compensate.

Paytic- I don't believe the Moore sisters went to SMB, rather Salisian. Remember the rivalry between Green and the older sister.

I'm pretty sure he knows that. He meant that even with the Moore sisters (who were special) at Salesian, SMB should have been able to achieve more than they did with the team that they had.

CN is a good team on a small court everyone knows that. Home cooking always makes game close like it suppose too be. It's about how good can a team play on the road is how far they will go in the playoffs. This year will become interesting in the middle of February when brackets are made up.

Jaymel911----- SMS ( as has been pointed out by specific posters ) is a bad match up for CN. The scrimmaged SMS only a week before they played them so they had already had the opportunity to get used to their speed and press. The problem is that their big center just can not run with faster teams and she was virtually invisible of offense against SMS. The SMS bigs ( especially Decosta ) can really run along with being able to even match up with CN's height in the half court game. This year match ups should be more important than ever in the playoffs. CN could do well if they face the right match ups in the playoffs. Of course SMS was a really bad match up for Pinewood last year as well. Out comes are never predictable but with bad matchups a lot more of the other variables have to fall into place to compensate.

I know the Moore sisters went to Salesian. And they were a thorn in SMB rear that is why I mentioned them. You would think the fact that SMB had two 6 foot All Americans and others that they would have swept Salesian and just about everyone else but they didn't.

Last edited:
CN is a good team on a small court everyone knows that. Home cooking always makes game close like it suppose too be. It's about how good can a team play on the road is how far they will go in the playoffs. This year will become interesting in the middle of February when brackets are made up.
How you play on the road? When is the last time St. Mary's Stockton, Mitty & Miramonte played a playoff game on the road? The key to advancing in the playoffs is securing home court advantage. Very few upsets on the road and rare for multiple road upsets.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT