ADVERTISEMENT

Adidas Challenge At Sheldon

H.E.A.T.

Hall of Famer
Nov 5, 2010
Sac Bee reports..... Sheldon event - The Sheldon Adidas Challenge on Saturday features teams from as far south as Fresno and as far west as Pleasanton. The schedule: Bella Vista vs. West Campus, 10:30 a.m.; Freedom-Oakley vs. No. 16 Burbank, noon; Liberty-Brentwood vs. Del Oro, 1:30 p.m.; Clovis North-Fresno vs. Deer Valley-Antioch, 3 p.m; Edison-Fresno vs. College Park Pleasanton, 4:30 p.m.; No. 8 Liberty Ranch vs. No. 7 Pleasant Grove, 6 p.m.; Rocklin vs. Vanden, 7:30 p.m.; and No. 4 Sheldon vs. El Cerrito, 9

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/prep-plus-blog/article7658252.html#storylink=cpy

Hey HEAT,
No suspended players or coaches this year right?
laugh.r191677.gif

Damn SJS!!!!!

You will have to excuse HEAT...He does not leave Elk Grove often, other than to attend an occasional AAU tournament
laugh.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 1/23 8:54 PM by G61

This post was edited on 1/23 8:54 PM by G61

The original post was a copy/paste from sacbee.com. The Plasanton/Pleasant Hill mistake is not Heat's mistake.

Stop trolling; all it does is make you look bad.

If you are not from the east bay you probably don't know where Pleasant Hill is. Pleasanton / Concord would be closest sp people understand the area their school is located. The last game of the night was a barn burner with El Cerrito playing Sheldon. El Cerrito missed a 3 at the buzzer and lost 62-61

Kidmann nice post!!!! Funny thing is i went to Diablo Valley College directly across the street from College park. Lived off Morello Ave in both P Hill and Martinez. These trolls just have nothing better to do

Hey, H.E.A.T... I went to Tinkertoy Tech,errrr DVC, too! Class of '78.

Hey Kidman yah there where many Tinkerbells roaming cardiac hill. I think the population of DVC at the time was something like 20000 female to 8 thousand male. Terrible time for a young testosterone filled young athlete to go to school LOL

I haven't heard the terms Tinkertoy Tech or Cardiac Hill in many years. Brings back some good memories. Coach Gerry was challenged. Coccimiglio does a much better job with the Vikings these days.

Int the Mid 80's DVC had a team with Al Lewis (top 25 all time at St Marys) Sly Hunter also went to St Marys, Both are now Ferryboat Captains running Vallejo to San Francisco, Sullivan from Clayton Valley and i want to say Mike Vonture from De LA salle and they had a high school All american walking around campus in Gerald Jones from Vallejo/UCLA who just took classes

I really like Sheldon 2.0. There was a lot more selfishness before this year and now their ball movement is 2nd to none. No legit big gives them a disadvantage tho.
I dont think they can beat Sac Hi or Folsom but Ill bet they can get Woodcreek.

DG although they dont have a true big man ,thats not the big picture in High school. It works both ways. If you share the ball and have a different star every night then who do you guard. Im sure teams with more size would have trouble with the reverse as can the size match the guards.

Look Jesuit beat Bishop Gorman with 2 7-0 and one 6-11 D! players . Gorman just lost by 1 point to Findlay Prep
Sheldon beat Cantwell Sacred Heart with 2 6-10 from Serbia ,1 committed to Oregon State and 1 to Harvard
Mitty has 2 legit bigs but guard play hurt them.
Sheldon just loss shooting a 3 to win vs PG 6-8 washington commit. Sheldon had 2 starters score a combined 3 points and must have lost the FT battle by 20 points.
Remember they get 2 more players back this week.

Also sounds kind of weird to say they are disadvantaged without a big and would lose to Folsom and And Sac but get Woodcreek who probably has the best big in the city. Also Woodcreek led Folsom from start to near the end and some strange events happened. I think Woodcreek gets them at home

I wasnt referring to the big situation by saying they would lose to Sac and Folsom but beat WC. I was just talking about all around team.
Ford made his first basket vs WC at the buzzer ending the 3rd qtr. When a 25~/ppg player has no pts that whole time and you are only down 9 I think WC should be nervous. If Ford has at least 10 points by halftime next game Folsom will win and it wont be close. Brown is legit and obviously so is Noah but I dont think WC is tested and will lose by double digits next time.

Anyways back to Sheldon. My point in the original post is that I think Sheldon should be ranked higher in every ranking. Guards are the shizz, not as good as sac highs guards but they play together like no other.
Since Folsom is D1 this year I am really going to enjoy D1 playoffs coming next month

H.E.A.T - Gerald Jones is a name most never knew. Hands down the best athlete out of Vallejo EVER. Vontoure also was a super athlete ( whole family had major bounce - tragic what happened to his 2younger brohers) For HS I would rather have really good guards over a good big man. Guards control the game at this level. Sheldon looked pretty good vs the much hyped El Cerrito team. Good win for the Huskies

DG I wouldnt say Sac Guards aere better than Sheldon Especially when they add Elijah Duplechan this week. Elijah,Devin Greene, Isaiah brooks,Anthony cook,and Jeremy Every could start on any team in the city.

I agree with the being nervous when you dont havent had any production from players you rely on. Kind of like the Sheldon VS PG game where 2 starters had a combined 3 points and still had a 3 point shot to win the game.

I was gonna wait on this but alot of people had written off the Huskies aKA Larry Legend and crew saying the program is dead and will be for along time. With no seniors in the regular rotation and only 1 in players 7-14 the future looks bright if you ask me.

Heat first of all congrats on the win in La vs Cantwell and Saturday vs El Cerrito. In High School its about guard play and that's what Sheldon have. I have seen all the top teams in norcal and green and brooks are the quickest tandem by far. I have sheldon #3 behind Folsom and Sac in the Sacramento Area. Inside play will cost them when they play against a team with size or rebounders. El Cerrito pounded the huskies on the glass, but the couldn't defend to save their lives. I usually love watching the Gauchos play but Saturday was different. They didnt have a business attitude at all. Their warm up was very lax and they didnt respect Sheldon. By the time the realized they were in trouble it was too late. Greene and Brooks were rolling.That being said i still think El Cerrito is one of better teams in Norcal, just cant take games off against a program that is proud and has produced championships. Im sure there will be a sound of squeaking sneakers of heard at their practice today. Sheldon is a contender for the SJS section title and could win it.

RJ223 yes Gerald was a great athlete and played alone side Damon Vance. One might argue though that CC Sabathia or his late Cousin Demetrius Davis (God rest his sole) may have been the best ever.

Oh wait a minute im babbling about something other than Sacramento basketball where many of the trolls on here accuse me of knowing nothing about

Dont get me wrong Elijah might be the best Soph guard in the city but I think for that Sheldon team its addition by subtraction. He put them over the limit for mouths to feed. I seen him recently and he is less selfsih, a lot less, but I dont see him making the team better the last stretch of league play going into the playoffs.
As a unit Sac vs Sheldon is comparable, but Sacs guards are better. They have a lot of mouths to feed too so I dont think anyone has seen them at their full capabilities. Their first 3 guards off the bench could start anywhere in sac.

Funny how its ok for kids to leave Sheldon but not come.
James Fox starting at PG
Armond Dean Starting at Grant
Ian Miller Starts at Vintage
LJ Williams and Tevin Williams starting at Bradshaw Christian
Berry .... at Monterey Trail
Cobb at Capital Christian
and like i said DG Sheldon also has the guards to start at any other school.

Im a Sheldon Homer and your a Sac High Homer its all good. In my honest opinion what i really want is any kid from any school to work hard and earn a college education. All this other talk is secondary and at the end of the day means nothing other than to give us something to talk about. So tired of seeing and talking about all the local talent that has wound up being waisted.

I believe the opposite when it comes to Elijah. I thinjk it makes the guards better and only takes minutes from others at end of the rotation. i Also think Elijahs ability to penetrate will open the floor even more for Devin Isaiah and Matt to get better shots.

Funny you say Elijah is maybe the best sophomore . wish you hadnt let the cat out of the bag. Look at the earlier thread of best frosh and sophs and hes no where to be found as is another soph that Starts Drew Cobb. LOL

Also DG dollaz folsom is not in D1 yet . the numbers have to fall into place for that to happen

http://www.maxpreps.com/division/xIKKYnFaE0SK7gVo_zaKNw/sac-joaquin-section/basketball-winter-14-15/standings-division-1.htm

Need to read a little deeper. Max prep labeling them as D1 Has no bearing on CIF SJS placement. The section will take all leagues top 3 teams and the 4th place in SFL and Delta. If a team doesnt fit into that scenario and are ranked in top 12 in Max preps then they will be included. Then top 16 enrollments make D! next 16 D2 Etc except for automatic placements like Jesuit is only Auto D1.

I just did the work and currently Folsom comes in at number 18 putting them in D2

D2 would be interesting with Folsom SAC High,Modesto Christian,St MArys,Cosumnes oaks

I have seen Folsom,Sac High and Sheldon basketball teams this year and by far I was most impressed with Sac High they were big,fast,athletic and deep.I Folsom is strong and Ford is a stud just dont see Folsom beating any of the top teams in Open they are to reliant on one player.Sheldon vs.El Cerrito.Sheldon's guards were impressive .Brooks shooting the 3 was deadly El Cerrito didnt bring their "A" game and paid for it their big weakness is free throws and being motivated everygame.El Cerrito only has 2 games left that might chalenge them. Vs.Grant and Vs.Campolindo.They tend to get lackadasical after playing too many cupcakes in a row.....But of the Sac teams I feel Sac High goes the farthest in playoffs.

G61.....That wouldnt be any big accomplishment cause your alter ego Larry Legend said on many occassions that the Sheldon program is dead and will be for a long time .

Originally posted by djgaucho:
I have seen Folsom,Sac High and Sheldon basketball teams this year and by far I was most impressed with Sac High they were big,fast,athletic and deep.I Folsom is strong and Ford is a stud just dont see Folsom beating any of the top teams in Open they are to reliant on one player.Sheldon vs.El Cerrito.Sheldon's guards were impressive .Brooks shooting the 3 was deadly El Cerrito didnt bring their "A" game and paid for it their big weakness is free throws and being motivated everygame.El Cerrito only has 2 games left that might chalenge them. Vs.Grant and Vs.Campolindo.They tend to get lackadasical after playing too many cupcakes in a row.....But of the Sac teams I feel Sac High goes the farthest in playoffs.
I know 1st hand Folsom hasn't scratched the surface yet. Week to week they are a different team. Other players are slowly starting to score more points than Ford and when it balances out, they are the best team this year in Sac. Sheldon will surprise people in March but Sac high has more talent then any team in CA. This year will open eyes but next year they won't be touched.

year in and year out Sac High has one of the most talented teams in Sac but almost always find a way to lose a game that makes you scratch your head. I see they are a young team as is Sheldon so the future looks bright for both. What makes this SAC team any different than years past. Not a stab at all just really dont know much about the team other than Solomon and Terrel so im looking for your insight

Guachos, maybe El Cerrito brought their A game, but Sheldon made them look like it was not. Don't ever discount the heart and tenacity of teams that have Championship pedigree. They know how to win against teams that are supposed to the edge. That is what makes great programs great.

HEAT - do you know when Sac last won a Section title? They always have talent we hear about but haven't seemed tomake much noise since moving up from DIII. Haven't seen them this year.

jccj was wondering why you are directing that question to me. Seems like you should ask the Sac high folks. But for the Record they never won in D2 although they made final in 2003. Their last title came in D3 in 2011

HEAT - Not sure who the Sac people are, you just seem to be the most up to date ; ) Thanks for info. Looking forward to seeing the Huskies in the post season.

As far as not winning Im not sure, but I dont think they had a team like this in awhile. Solomon on the HS level makes all the difference. Hes not as talented as Brown from Woodcreek but dominates the paint. The main issue with Sac is that they dont have anyone to complement him down low. Their next tallest player is Terrell and hes a guard.

HEAT. Just like you rave about Sheldon because you personally know the players and you know HS basketball so you can put 2 and 2 together and have a feel how Sheldon compares to Norcal hoops. I know the teams out here and have coached or coached against almost all of the 2015-2017 kids out here in AAU and know what they are capable of. All im sayin is that Sac hasnt peaked yet and wont until next year, most likely Sheldon too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT