ADVERTISEMENT

Bishop O'Dowd-Miramonte Saturday at 5 (plus others)

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
The Contra Costa Challenge lineup:

Contra Costa Challenge
Feb. 1, 2020 @ Miramonte

9:30 a.m.: Miramonte JV vs. Mission San Jose JV
11 a.m.: Campolindo vs. Windsor
12:30 p.m.: Las Lomas vs. Skyline
2 p.m.: Bentley vs. Roseland University Prep
3:30 p.m.: California vs. St. Patrick St. Vincent
5 p.m.: Miramonte vs. Bishop O’Dowd
6:30 p.m.: Monte Vista vs. American
8 p.m.: Clayton Valley Charter vs. St. Joseph Notre Dame

Three NCS Open teams, most likely, plus American.

Several D-1 talents in the 3:30 game ...

$10 adults, $5 students and seniors.

Reactions: basketba11
Looking at the teams schedules it's too bad Clayton Valley has already played Monte Vista earlier this season. This challenge seems like a perfect opportunity to see if American is for real with a game vs SJND.

Looking at the teams schedules it's too bad Clayton Valley has already played Monte Vista earlier this season. This challenge seems like a perfect opportunity to see if American is for real with a game vs SJND.

Monte Vista might just show they’re not for real.

I've been to a few Odowd games this year and every one Odowd has played bad in 1st half only to come out in 2nd half on fire. They may have put themselves into too big of a hole this time though. Wow!!!

Big time NCS OPEN implications if this score stands

MM bringing it in the 1st half!!

MM 43
BOD 24
Half

Wow!! In another NorCal thread I picked BOD. Looks like I'm gonna be eating some crow unless BOD comes out like game busters. They have the talent but hats off to MM for strong 1st half.

Odowd came out with energy and cut it to 12 and they were on line shooting 2. BOD girl misses both...then Odowd proceeded to have a bunch of turnovers in a row and MM capitalized and pushed it back to 21.

a few observations, through my glasses-wearing eyes:

MM eschewed their press, and half court traps, stayed compact on defense, and did well on their defensive boards, which can hurt them. also avoided lots of fouls, and were able to keep their natural scorers on the floor. Tarasow, Allred, and Mastrov scored almost 70 of their points. they also seemed better organized and aggressive in transition. defensive rebounds will do that.

BOD extended in the half court to deny the 3, and their perimeter pressure was impressive, but MM had success attacking the rim (not always the case). when BOD went full court in Q4, MM seriously lost composure (decomposed?), letting BOD close (margin hovered around 20 most of Q2 and Q3). in a rematch, bet on BOD to come out pressing.

with the exception of their inability to handle the press in Q4, best all around game I've seen MM play in a few years. can't comment on BOD, don't know them.

with SMS and Pinewood coming up, MM controls its seed in NCS Open. #2 may be possible.

MM eschewed their press, and half court traps, stayed compact on defense, and did well on their defensive boards, which can hurt them. also avoided lots of fouls, and were able to keep their natural scorers on the floor. Tarasow, Allred, and Mastrov scored almost 70 of their points. they also seemed better organized and aggressive in transition. defensive rebounds will do that.

BOD extended in the half court to deny the 3, and their perimeter pressure was impressive, but MM had success attacking the rim (not always the case). when BOD went full court in Q4, MM seriously lost composure (decomposed?), letting BOD close (margin hovered around 20 most of Q2 and Q3). in a rematch, bet on BOD to come out pressing.

with the exception of their inability to handle the press in Q4, best all around game I've seen MM play in a few years. can't comment on BOD, don't know them.

with SMS and Pinewood coming up, MM controls its seed in NCS Open. #2 may be possible.

I agree ..I thought MM did a great job of Def rebounding and limiting BOD to one and done on offense for most of the game.

I thought MM played very well. Great ball movement and attacking the hoop and finishing.

#2 or #1. Who has BOD beaten or lost to that are open viable teams? obviously head to head is number one but if I'm team A, lost or beat BOD by 3, and MM got them by 20....I don't know...should be an interesting seeding meeting. I honestly think MM should have beat them last year in sections and Norcals because I think MC can't coach...but they got hot at the right time and steamrolled everyone in route to a state finals appearance-and they deserved it 100%. Jada Hollands was the point and heart and soul to this team. I still think if someone tries to press they, BOD would be in some serious trouble. Shoot, they only beat Alameda by 5 last night...

#2 or #1. Who has BOD beaten or lost to that are open viable teams? obviously head to head is number one but if I'm team A, lost or beat BOD by 3, and MM got them by 20....I don't know...should be an interesting seeding meeting. I honestly think MM should have beat them last year in sections and Norcals because I think MC can't coach...but they got hot at the right time and steamrolled everyone in route to a state finals appearance-and they deserved it 100%. Jada Hollands was the point and heart and soul to this team. I still think if someone tries to press they, BOD would be in some serious trouble. Shoot, they only beat Alameda by 5 last night...

Dont forget CN has the common opponent win over Regis Jesuit that MM lost to at SMS MLK day.
And CN will be sitting at 26-2. So how does that play into the equation?

Dont forget CN has the common opponent win over Regis Jesuit that MM lost to at SMS MLK day.
And CN will be sitting at 26-2. So how does that play into the equation?

man, that's tough....what was the point disparity? then who else does CN have common opponents with the rest of the top 6?

At the WCJ....
Sierra Canyon... lost
Clovis North... lost

With wins:
Antelope
San Ramon Valley
Regis Jesuit
Heritage

That crazy 1 pt terrible choke job loss to Clovis North (who has wins over BOD and SMS) is going to kill them. Win that game and they could claim 1 seed in NCS Open and 2 seed in Norcal Open.

Last edited:
I still think if someone tries to press they, BOD would be in some serious trouble.

well, MM passed on the press (they do it well), and were up by 20 at half and 3Q. seems they had BOD in "serious trouble". BTW, I think MM has the tools and coaching to handle the press, found their 4Q mini-meltdown puzzling. were on Empty after 3Q? think not pressing was the right choice for them in this matchup.

can they do well enough at SMS and PWD to move past CN in the NCS seeding? will be hard-pressed (pun intended) to top tonight's home performance on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Norcal_Fan
It will be an interesting discussion about Cardinal Newman and Miramonte.

Newman will finish the season beating up on its league opponents, which will lower its SOS. Miramonte pulled out of league play, and finishes with Monte Vista, SMS, Oakland Tech and Pinewood.

Of course, we were supposed to have a public NCS rating from Scorebook Live, but I can't find anything, so defaulting to the MaxPreps rating (which includes games against out-of-state and out-of-section teams, which wouldn't work in a Scorebook Live setting), Miramonte was ahead 17.6 to 14.4 prior to the BOD game. Presumably that disparity will increase by season's end, given the upcoming schedules.

So does the common opponent win for Cardinal Newman trump overall SOS?

Let's say Miramonte goes 2-2 down the stretch and finishes 21-5. Newman rolls on and wins four more to finish 26-2 (they have league playoffs). Newman has the common opponent win but Miramonte has the higher SOS and one of the two wins is against Pinewood or SMS. That would give Miramonte two top-shelf wins against Newman's best wins against Antelope and Heritage (which are good wins).

I would guess that 26-2 and common opponent beats 21-5.

But what if Miramonte goes 4-0 to finish 23-3? Then I'd say Miramonte because for me, the SOS trumps the common opponent win. But maybe some feel the common opponent is more important than SOS. Tough call ...

But 3-1, with a loss at Pinewood or SMS, and a 22-4 record? Now what does the committee do? Your vote?

IMO, if MM were to go 3-1 or 4-0, they should be above Cardinal Newman with much higher SOS and more quality wins. Common opponent should be considered, but I don't think it is a total difference-maker. It seems to me head to head and SOS always is taken into high consideration, but common opponent not necessarily so much.

I think you raise great points. MM still has to play Oakland Tech, which would be another common opponent. I think earlier in the season you talked about how good San Ramon Valley was and their game versus CN would be great. So I think you have to include SRV as a good win for CN. I also think that SMS will be tough but the other games for MM should be wins. If MM gets seeded above CN in NCS open , I would say they should be a Norcal Open team regardless of the NCS outcome.

Common opponent only will everything else is equal. Win/loss, SOS and quality wins seem to be the prevailing factor in seeding. Not quality losses. It would seem top 2 from CCS & SJS and top 4 from NCS will be the CIF open teams.

We know MM, CN, BOD, SJND, and Salesian are locks for the open. I think the biggest mystery will be who gets the final slot. American has the record (given they run the table) but Heritage has the stronger SOS and quality wins/losses. I really think the final slot is for those two

After watching both Heritage and American play over the last couple of weeks it's clear to me Heritage should be the 6th Open team.

American has had a nice season but is a notch below. They just dont have the top level talent the other squads have. Good season...gaudy record...not Open.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: ClayK
We know MM, CN, BOD, SJND, and Salesian are locks for the open. I think the biggest mystery will be who gets the final slot. American has the record (given they run the table) but Heritage has the stronger SOS and quality wins/losses. I really think the final slot is for those two
Heritage best win? Oakland Tech. American best win: San Ramon Valley. Cal best win: San Ramon. San Ramon best win: Cal.

After watching both Heritage and American play over the last couple of weeks it's clear to me Heritage should be the 6th Open team.

American has had a nice season but is a notch below. They just dont have the top level talent the other squads have. Good season...gaudy record...not Open.

Just my opinion.

American is nice but more of a D2 talent in my opinion. I would need to see them compete against a school like Heritage before I start putting them in the discussion with Salesian, MM, BOD, CN. I don't think American fair well against the teams that will end up in the D1 bracket this year. Great squad but hasn't played any defining games at the Open or D1 level.

Last edited:
I just think that American should stick in D1 this year and if they make the finals and qualify for Norcals that's a great season. Honestly if they get put in D1 in norcals they are probably 1 and done.
Think about it...1 game in Open...1 game in D1 norcal.....season ever.....crappy way to end such a good season... Better for them to get lucky and put in D2 where they could do some damage.

I just think that American should stick in D1 this year and if they make the finals and qualify for Norcals that's a great season. Honestly if they get put in D1 in norcals they are probably 1 and done.
Think about it...1 game in Open...1 game in D1 norcal.....season ever.....crappy way to end such a good season... Better for them to get lucky and put in D2 where they could do some damage.

Well of course they could do some damage if they were in D2. Even more damage if they were in D3 or D4. But they’re a 20-1 D1 team. They’ve got no business being placed anywhere but D1.

Well of course they could do some damage if they were in D2. Even more damage if they were in D3 or D4. But they’re a 20-1 D1 team. They’ve got no business being placed anywhere but D1.

Except that if they only do 12 or similar in D1 like last season.

And only 6 in the Open

4 NCS open teams into D1
D1 winner

That's 5 total from NCS into NorCal D1....

Leaves 7 spots for SJS and CCS

Is that not realistic?

If American(or whoever comes in 2nd for that matter) comes in 2nd in NCS D1 there is a REAL chance they get put in D2.

Simply look at the numbers

Reactions: observer22
Except that if they only do 12 or similar in D1 like last season.

And only 6 in the Open

4 NCS open teams into D1
D1 winner

That's 5 total from NCS into NorCal D1....

Leaves 7 spots for SJS and CCS

Is that not realistic?

If American(or whoever comes in 2nd for that matter) comes in 2nd in NCS D1 there is a REAL chance they get put in D2.

Simply look at the numbers

No I agree that’s realistic for NorCal. If they get put in D1, it would be a pretty low seed and they’d be on the road, even if they make the D1 finals.

It will be interesting to see how many Open teams there are in NorCals. I think it should be six while SoCal has eight to reflect the larger number of schools in Southern California. It's not as if the pool is the same size for both areas -- and by limiting the NorCal Open to six, it drops quality teams down a division all the way to D-5, giving NorCal a better chance to compete for state titles.

But it's possible they'll go to eight, in which case some difficult decisions will have to be made without on-court results to go by.

Six:

2 NCS
2 CCS
2 SJS

Eight:

2 CCS
3 SJS (D1, D1 runner up, D2)
3 NCS (pick one semfinal loser)

or conceivably 2 from SJS and 4 from NCS, but it would seem to make more sense to take three from each.

I don't think they'll move a Central Section team north this year because the SoCal Open doesn't have many candidates outside of the Southern Section. La Jolla Country Day is the only one, so unless SoCal goes six (five Southern Section and LJCD), they need the Central teams to fill the bracket.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT