ADVERTISEMENT

Bishop O'Dowd-Miramonte Saturday at 5 (plus others)

It will be interesting to see how many Open teams there are in NorCals. I think it should be six while SoCal has eight to reflect the larger number of schools in Southern California. It's not as if the pool is the same size for both areas -- and by limiting the NorCal Open to six, it drops quality teams down a division all the way to D-5, giving NorCal a better chance to compete for state titles.

But it's possible they'll go to eight, in which case some difficult decisions will have to be made without on-court results to go by.

Six:

2 NCS
2 CCS
2 SJS

Eight:

2 CCS
3 SJS (D1, D1 runner up, D2)
3 NCS (pick one semfinal loser)

or conceivably 2 from SJS and 4 from NCS, but it would seem to make more sense to take three from each.
Clay - Would the D1, D1 runner up and D2 teams in the SJS all be as good as the 4th, 5th or even 6th NCS team? I would say if it goes to 8, NCS will have 4 and SJS 2.
I don't think they'll move a Central Section team north this year because the SoCal Open doesn't have many candidates outside of the Southern Section. La Jolla Country Day is the only one, so unless SoCal goes six (five Southern Section and LJCD), they need the Central teams to fill the bracket.

Clay - If the committee decides to take 8 teams for the NorCal Open, do you truly think that the SJS D1 runner up and D2 champion should be put ahead of the NCS's 4th, 5th or even 6th best team? I would say NCS gets 4 if it's an 8 team bracket.

Right now, my eight would be

Mitty
Pinewood/Menlo (2nd in CCS Open)

Salesian
Three from this group: SJND, Cardinal Newman, BOD, Miramonte

SMS
Antelope/Laguna Creek

Now if SMS gets upset in the SJS D-1 finals by McClatchy or someone like that, then now only two other NCS teams join Salesian and SMS and the D-1 winner go to NorCals with the D2 winner.

It's also possible that if Pinewood and Menlo play to triple OT in the CCS Open semis, both of them would go, again cutting the NCS group to three.

Still don't think they're going eight, though ...

It just seems as though there aren't enough "quality teams" to justify 8 in Norcal this year. What's interesting/weird is that people are saying if American gets upset, there's a chance they go to D2. But what about the D2 champs in NCS, CCS, or SJS? Does that mean they go up to D1 because of competitive equity?

It just seems as though there aren't enough "quality teams" to justify 8 in Norcal this year. What's interesting/weird is that people are saying if American gets upset, there's a chance they go to D2. But what about the D2 champs in NCS, CCS, or SJS? Does that mean they go up to D1 because of competitive equity?

Remember, there are likely to be just 6 Open teams, and last year there were just 14 D1 teams. That’s only 20 spots!

So if you are not one of the top 6-8 teams in the SJS, NCS or CCS regardless of your division, you’re not likely to make D1. So if you are a good NCS or CCS team that is not being mentioned as a possible Open team, you’ll likely be in D2 or maybe even D3.

so lets say a team like Montgomery or Alameda (NCS) win D2. today they're ranked overall 12/13th. After all is said and done, would winning a d2 championship (these two in particular) prompt them to move up a division? If both run the table and some D1 teams lose and drop in rankings...it is possible..right?

so lets say a team like Montgomery or Alameda (NCS) win D2. today they're ranked overall 12/13th. After all is said and done, would winning a d2 championship (these two in particular) prompt them to move up a division? If both run the table and some D1 teams lose and drop in rankings...it is possible..right?
They are only taking the winner and runner up in D1 this year along with every other division. So D1 teams that lose before championship game aren't in the Norcal discussion

Reactions: observer22

Sure it’s possible. I believe only the top 2 finalists from D1 through D3 will make NorCal in addition to the 6 Open teams, plus one at large team, so there’ll be a few highly ranked D1 teams that won’t move on. The NCS D2 winner will probably go D2 in NCS, but could go D1 depending on the rankings of the teams from other sections that end up qualifying.

The at-large bid, I would suspect, will go to an NCS D-1 team. If American were to enter postseason with one loss and get upset in the quarters, that would be the kind of choice they'd make. San Ramon Valley might fall into the same category.

As for the NorCal process, each section submits an ordered list of teams, which the NorCal committee then works with to fill the divisional brackets. The committee can alter the order if it wants to, but it's unlikely. So if SJS, say, submits the order: D1 winner, D2 winner, D1 runnerup, D3 winner, etc. ..., then the D1 runnerup likely won't go Open. And NCS must place the Open losers in order even though they won't play out the round. (I'm assuming all the Open teams will be ahead of the D1 winner, but it's possible NCS will put the D1 winner ahead of the bottom two Open teams.)

Reactions: basketba11
It will be interesting to see how many Open teams there are in NorCals. I think it should be six while SoCal has eight to reflect the larger number of schools in Southern California. It's not as if the pool is the same size for both areas -- and by limiting the NorCal Open to six, it drops quality teams down a division all the way to D-5, giving NorCal a better chance to compete for state titles.

But it's possible they'll go to eight, in which case some difficult decisions will have to be made without on-court results to go by.

Six:

2 NCS
2 CCS
2 SJS

Eight:

2 CCS
3 SJS (D1, D1 runner up, D2)
3 NCS (pick one semfinal loser)

or conceivably 2 from SJS and 4 from NCS, but it would seem to make more sense to take three from each.

I don't think they'll move a Central Section team north this year because the SoCal Open doesn't have many candidates outside of the Southern Section. La Jolla Country Day is the only one, so unless SoCal goes six (five Southern Section and LJCD), they need the Central teams to fill the bracket.

I actually think there's a good chance this year that the Central Section sends an Open team to the North. If you look at the current top 12 teams on maxpreps, 8 are from the south, 3 from the north. The southern section is deeper this year and the #1 team is from SD. Cathedral has some losses but is just as good as any teams 9-16 that will be in the Open. So I could definitely see a Central Section team being sent North. There is no longer a cap on how many a section can send to the Open--so we'll see how the next couple weeks play out and what the committees do with it all.

Clay -

Can you tell me who the NorCal teams were in the top bracket at West Coast Jamboree? How did you decide on them?

There were several factors, first and foremost where teams wanted to play. Cardinal Newman, SJND and Bishop O'Dowd all wanted the Platinum (the top division).

We don't like to overload any bracket with too many teams from the same section -- that's not why teams comes to the Jamboree -- so Miramonte was dropped to the Diamond. Heritage was obviously hosting, so they stayed in the Gold. We put Salesian in the Diamond with Miramonte and Antelope in the Gold with Heritage.

Oakland Tech was happy playing at Heritage (and Miramonte had them on their schedule) so that made sense.

So we had three NCS teams in the Platinum, two in the Diamond and one in the Gold. Ideally it would have been two, two and two, but the three teams, as mentioned, wanted Platinum.

Reactions: GBBall4L
Does that mean the other teams did not want Platinum or you just wanted to accomodate those 3 teams?

We wanted to accommodate those teams that wanted to play Platinum. Salesian and Miramonte both would have been happy with Platinum, and conceivably Heritage as well, but since Heritage was a host, that wouldn't work.

We send out tentative brackets to all teams before they are finalized to get input. The WCJ is a tournament for the teams, and we try to make requests work whenever we can.

Reactions: observer22
Did Cardinal Newman request to open with Sierra Canyon when original brackets came out?

I think so ... or they didn't mind. We talked to everyone about how the brackets were set up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT