ADVERTISEMENT

Brookside Christian

One difference between players traveling long distances in the SJCS and some area's in the Bay area, is the quality of schools the parents have to chose from. Also traveling 20 miles or more is nothing like traveling 20 miles in the bay area. The term recruiting has constantly been thrown out on this site for years. Much like other terms it might have different meanings for different people. A programs success or a schools academic reputation is it's greatest recruiting tool. Yet is that that really recruiting in the same sense that is implied by many people on these sites. Schools like people often get reputations ( sometimes warranted and sometimes not) which can be used for both those that want to either promote or detract.

I remember some of the posts of early last season by certain individuals who created speculation about recruiting that were based purely on creating strife. The problem is that most people are totally unaware of the actual truth and circumstances and thus can not differentiate between someones BS and reality. The problem also lies in that conveying the truth or answering liable or BS opens the door to revealing information that should only be the option of the player or parent. The entire denial process also helps to feed the controversy. A clever manipulative troll will use that to fulfill their actual agenda. If they should be called out and their agenda cut off they just retrench and begin anew from another direction. If it happens too many times they just change identities and most people will just forget their previous identities or posts.

People who actually know about programs will have the integrity to be cautious about information they reveal. As northbay mentioned It should be the parents option to reveal their intentions or motivations for their choices. Even if we are privy to information it does not mean that we have the right to reveal that information publicly. Our society seems to have lost it's sense of propriety.

>If your top players are wearing the same thing like headbands, white or black T shirts underneath etc and a SMS staff is there. You can almost guarantee that's who is getting looked at. How you think their fab sophs got discovered as 8th graders.

And that's just good coaching ... it's how you build a program, whether it's No. 1 in the nation or No. 1 in your league.
It's good coaching to some, it's recruiting to others. I'm with you on the coaching because there's a lot of coaches that are done after the season is over and won't put the effort in to see what talent is out there. The reason for my post earlier was that it was put it out there who was going where. Revealing who's going where will just open the eyes to SMS and Brookside will lose out on a player. SMS has more to offer and money to back it up. But maybe the kid might not fit SMS system and they won't pursue getting that kid.

Gracie!

What are you saying that SMS is like Yankees in MLB have to ton of money to go get any player the want ???? Do they give bonuses like the Yankees when they go to playoffs too ?
I taught we was talking about school academics and teacher support I guess that wasn't a subject that you real didnt want to talk about since there was some players that was ineligible the past 4 years not going to name anybody though!!!!!

Shall we talk about player health by playing with injuries that if played probably get worse. This is only high school kids need to stay health more than play to win a game. The biggest game is to be healthy at the next level. Is winning a game worth serious injury!!!!

It's called scholarships and to have them certain scholarships there's some type of wealth that goes with it. And if you think SMS academics don't match up to Brookside, you must have bumped your head.

"Recruiting" means encouraging students to come to your school. Every private school has an admissions department that does just that -- and not surprisingly, those people are often very highly paid, as the school's survival depends on their work.

Public schools, obviously, don't have admissions' offices, but the truth is that successful programs, in any sport, are built on talent. Maybe you don't want to call it "recruiting," but coaches who build programs (as opposed to just winning one or two seasons) can call it "keeping the talent pipeline flowing" if they want -- it's the same thing.

The attraction of any one school goes beyond specific athletic programs. St. Mary's of Stockton and Bishop O'Dowd, for example, both benefit because the public school system surrounding them is not that strong. That means that they automatically can attract students who are looking for better academics and a better school atmosphere, and then they can close the deal with merit scholarships (which O'Dowd has) or financial aid and a quality athletic experience.

To compete with those schools -- and that's a conscious choice, because no one says you have to -- a similar effort must be made to "keep the talent pipeline flowing."

At lower levels, if one team in your league does a good job attracting talent, if you want to compete -- again, a conscious choice that you don't have to make -- you have to attract talent too.

To imagine that there's some league or place where all the coaches and all the schools just sit back and work with whoever shows up is a fantasy, plain and simple. And those schools that do rely on whoever shows up are, in the long run, not going to be very successful in terms of wins and losses.

Garcie

Lets talk about systems since you brought it up. How players are happy being handcuffed in a system. Why wouldn't a coach build a team around the players that they have. Yes they are winning but are the players happy. I can answer that one for but I won't. Players should be allowed to be free to create within a system. So yes if player wants to be handcuffed SMS system is where they belong or be free to create and go else where. And let me tell you these misery loves company even thow they're still winning. Players never should play injured where they can do serious damage to their career.

Respect-
What is your problem with St. Mary's Stockton and their coach? They have built one of the best girls basketball programs in the state. I understand it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but why bash them? It appears that Brookside Christian is a very competitive small school and they should be proud of their accomplishments. In my opinion, you are giving that program a bad name, at least in this forum. If you have a child playing there, why don't you enjoy her playing career. 99%(if it's not 99%, it's a very high percentage) of playing careers end after the senior year of high school.

Good post. It's called jealousy if you ask me. Handcuffed? No team has more freedom on offense than SMS . If you call having to play hard on defense handcuffed, I guess . Their players just don't put up big numbers because they have so many players that can do so many things. What makes them so good is that players understand their rolls and they have the best press in the country. Ask any team that has played them. Good luck to all the teams in Northern California.

Crusaders70 and Passionatedad

I just talk for the ones scared to say something because their kids might be punished for it. But some have to say enough is enough does winning mean that much. Early in post I was just talk about Brookside then you (Passionatedad) what to start. Don't start something you dont want me to dig deep in you. Then Gracie want to talk to so I dug even deeper but I wont never say the players names but I know some are scared to speak up. Just warning players if thats what they want then thats good too but don't never be scared to speak up if you feel there is something wrong. Players don't think you are a disease like they say if you make a stand and speak up. DONT START ANYTHING YOU CANT FINISH AND THROW STONES IN A GLASS HOUSE!!!!!

Never said anything about academics are different just said Brookside teacher say up to 1 1/2 for students that need help. So I don't think bump my head. If your didn't have tunnel vision and brain washed you would see that.

Passionatedad

I spoke up for a players last year and people look and made their decision and writers wrote about it. I speak the true and sometimes the true hurt deeply. SMS IS A GREAT SCHOOL NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THE SCHOOL

Who knows what your motives are , but there is a saying, don't hate me because you ain't me, your are constantly belittling the # 1 team in the COUNTRY. You are the only one on this board that belittles other teams . Most of the time your grammar is so bad it's hard to understand what you are trying to say.

You are the only one on this board that belittles other teams .

well, let's just say that under a certain bridge in Stockton where 2 posters live and follow the same team there seems to be an abundance of sour grapes. failed winery? successful whinery?

Last edited:
Passionatedad
I'm didn't know still coaching because I heard a that your not other reasons. So is you apart of the success of this year. But lets leave that for another day. Sometimes my grammar is bad but but the truth hurt.

Defender4212
No they was on missing but the team step up and played a great game. Brookside had 2 starters with flue but that not excuse what happen on the floor to with a horrible shooting day and a BOD great shooting day. So with that if Brookside wasn't in the Open its for sure now. Brookside welcome back to D4 Norcal again.

Last edited:
I didn't make it to the game today sounds like BC didn't show up for the game !?! Not surprised considering the 7 day rest with no games after the big win against Pinewood, Amac not at full strength ? Bad team shooting ? Going against a really good team ?

Northbaybbguru
Get ready too make that trip too Stockton
Sounds like where headed for that rematch.....?
Should be a good game but same results.

I was surprised by the score? I'm sure I was not the only one who thought it would be a much closer game. Can anyone explain what happened?

Why surprised? Because you read the hype machine in this message board? BC is a one man show and if McDonald does not score 30 plus they get waxed. BOD is a proven team with good coaching and history of winning with their system.

Reactions: Defender4212
And let's not forget the game was at BOD, one of the hardest gyms to play in. I'm still amazed NCS considers that gym suitable for postseason play -- my guess is that if it were at any other school it wouldn't be.

Brookside had to starters with the flue and shoot horrible from the field. BOD was the better that day that shoot at a high percentage and Brookside shoot like 22 % from the floor. Good game BOD. Time for Brookside to get ready from a state run in D4. Next year will be different with no open and a true D1 Division where a team can lose to a team during the season and still comeback to win state in D1 and all other divisions. CAN WAIT FOR THE CHANGES TO HAPPEN. The only thing Brookside did in the game was shoot free throws 11 for 13.

Clay
Remember the first Open playoffs was moved to Chabot JC because of the GYM sizes. It's a hard place to win games for now and beginning of time. Its one of those gyms where the walls are so enclosed and one side have to look at a tilted banister which plays a big part in the boys game because can use the deck for a extra defender. I didn't like playing but won a few games there. But all in all its a historical gym.

Last edited:
Everyone has two starters out with the flu this time of year. Respectbb should have checked the medical report before getting on the board and talking smack.

Reactions: Defender4212
I know O'Dowd just lost a good player to a broken foot, and another was out with a back issue. I agree, everyone is banged up and battling viruses this time of year. Clear difference in the level of these programs. Championship habits are hard to attain consistently. BTW, many of O'Dowd's NCS games are moved to a larger venue.

Why surprised? Because you read the hype machine in this message board? BC is a one man show and if McDonald does not score 30 plus they get waxed. BOD is a proven team with good coaching and history of winning with their system.

Because I consider Pinewood a pretty good team which I think is capable of at least giving Odowd a good game( if not beating them which they did by 5 points). Brookside had just come off of an impressive victory over Pinewood. And I think the players that Brookside added in January made them a much better team. I noticed a considerable difference the additions made. That is why I was surprised. I don't buy into hype or let others think for me. I didn't think Bishop Odowd was 30 points better than Brookside or any other open caliber team which I think Pinewood and Brookside had proven to be before that game. But perhaps Bishop Odowd has improved since I saw them at the start of the season.

Last edited:
Jaymel911

There was no excuse for the lost Brookside just play a bad game all together. BOD was the better team of the day piont blank.

Defrender4212

The program are about the same only thing different is BOD has great history because different day different result on a bigger floor. But next year will be different and go to the old days of Division 1. I remember back in the day D1 wasn't so easy for some to like they are winning now.

Paytc

Brookside is a better team then they was against BOD. I'm just glad that it happen before playoffs to have a let down game when nothing was going right. The team that played Pinewood never showed up. But now it time for Brookside to prepare for the D4 State game.

I hear you. BOD has great history. They are good now and will probably keep getting better to and through the playoffs. That's what good programs do. I also would expect them to be good next year, or any year for that matter.

I doubt losing to BOD moved Brookside from the Open to D4. They'll rip through the SJS playoffs and be a section champion with a good strength of schedule, a win over Pinewood, and close losses to Mitty and Salesian. The bad news is I think they could have been a four or five seed if they had beaten BOD, but now they'll probably be a seven or eight seed in the Open division.

And hey RespectBB, since you're so excited about the possibility of all the strong teams being in D1 in the future, you should be especially thrilled with Brookside being in the Open this year.

Southbay
Being in the Open is privileged that ssying your team is better then the rest of the Divisions. No not happy at all about being in D4 if that's where they end up at. Some people believe in winning state the Divisions is better the going to the open. I believe never sale yourself short when you can compete with the best. The saying " To beat the best your have play the best." By thats my think not everyone's think. I'm just a true competitor was taught by my high coach to push for the best and dont settle for less.

I didn't make it to the game today sounds like BC didn't show up for the game !?! Not surprised considering the 7 day rest with no games after the big win against Pinewood, Amac not at full strength ? Bad team shooting ? Going against a really good team ?

Northbaybbguru
Get ready too make that trip too Stockton
Sounds like where headed for that rematch.....?
Should be a good game but same results.

If CN gets to the NCS d4 championship game(win or lose)...they will get no worse than a 2 seed in norcals. So there will be no trip to Stockton.

Its being play at Delta because of events going on at each school sites. Original game was supposed to be at BOD. This game will be interesting because its on a big court. This makes coaches to make some adjustments the way the play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT