ADVERTISEMENT

Caden Pinnick receives offer from Sac State

He would be so perfect for Sac St

That’s what I’ve been saying since last season. Pinnick is so good Austin Mack transferred out to Folsom.

I gotta believe some FBS P5 program is eventually gonna come calling. But I also thought that about Cameron Skattebo while he was at Rio Linda.

As far as I can tell, even Sac State has yet to offer. They’d better pounce soon and hope Pinnick continues to be underrecruited.

Reactions: MC415
This is the kind of QB that will give St. Mary’s defense fits. A matchup in SJS D2 playoffs could be a nightmare for SM (potential Turlock-like playoff upset over SM) should these two teams meet. It’s all about matchups, and DO, IMHO, is not a good matchup for SM. Anticipate a shootout should this matchup occur.

Sac State coaches were on the sidelines Friday night.

That's what I heard after the game. So I was pretty hopeful they'd come through with an offer soon.

I also recently read an article about Caden Pinnick discussing how he wants to attend a school where he can be a multi-sport athlete. Size aside, I wonder if that is among the reasons he's been under-recruited to this point?

Also, in attending the game last Friday, another thing that I noticed and thought about that might be causing some trepidation (at least at the FBS level and among the top FCS programs) is his penchant to circle and run around the back field as much as he does.

While it's amazing at the HS level -- it's like defenders are chasing a cat -- it's something he's likely going to have to tone down at the next level as it's much more likely he'll get blindsided by longer, quicker and faster defenders from time to time. IDK, perhaps he can get away with it like Bryce Young did. Who knows.

Also, regarding his supposed lack of size, I'd point out that Aaron Rodgers was under-recruited for largely the same reasons. IIRC, Rodgers was 5-10, 5-11 coming out of HS then grew to 6-1, 6-2 then got poached by CAL out of Butte CC.

It'd be super cool for Sac State to land him then see him grow a few more inches and fill out a bit. I think they'd have a super talented QB even if he doesn't grow another inch. He can develop into another Asher O'Hara but with an even stronger arm. Seeing him up close in person at halftime, he looks very muscular and strong too.

Last edited:
That's what I heard after the game. So I was pretty hopeful they'd come through with an offer soon.

I also recently read an article about Caden Pinnick discussing how he wants to attend a school where he can be a multi-sport athlete. Size aside, I wonder if that is among the reasons he's been under-recruited to this point?

Also, in attending the game last Friday, another thing that I noticed and thought about that might be causing some trepidation (at least at the FBS level and among the top FCS programs) is his penchant to circle and run around the back field as much as he does.

While it's amazing at the HS level -- it's like defenders are chasing a cat -- it's something he's likely going to have to tone down at the next level as it's much more likely he'll get blindsided by longer, quicker and faster defenders from time to time. IDK, perhaps he can get away with it like Bryce Young did. Who knows.

Also, regarding his supposed lack of size, I'd point out that Aaron Rodgers was under-recruited for largely the same reasons. IIRC, Rodgers was 5-10, 5-11 coming out of HS then grew to 6-1, 6-2 then got poached by CAL out of Butte CC.

It'd be super cool for Sac State to land him then see him grow a few more inches and fill out a bit. I think they'd have a super talented QB even if he doesn't grow another inch. He can develop into another Asher O'Hara but with an even stronger arm. Seeing him up close in person at halftime, he looks very muscular and strong too.
I agree with all you wrote. One side note, and I know you witnessed it, but the Sac State coaches had just left when Pinnick connected with Poe for that one-handed grab, perhaps the most exciting play of the night.

Some other things to also factor in:

The competition for scholarships in college football has intensified. HS seniors face tough competition not only from their peers but also from junior college transfers, and the NCAA transfer portal. We must also factor in that the QB position is one of the most specialized and competitive positions on the field. This is why many athletically gifted QB's (size, speed, athleticism) are recruited as Athletes.

It sounds like Pinnick doesn't play any other positions on the field, which may be why recruitment has lagged.

But I can't say it enough, Sac State is a great option, right in your own backyard! The Big Sky is regarded as the top FCS conference and you get to play an FBS school or two every year. Not bad at all!

I'm sure Kaiden Bennett is loving it!

Reactions: ThunderRam
Some other things to also factor in:

The competition for scholarships in college football has intensified. HS seniors face tough competition not only from their peers but also from junior college transfers, and the NCAA transfer portal. We must also factor in that the QB position is one of the most specialized and competitive positions on the field. This is why many athletically gifted QB's (size, speed, athleticism) are recruited as Athletes.

I get and agree with all you say here.

That said, Caden has so much athletic and arm talent and is such a good student that I’m still surprised by the under-recruitment.

I get and agree with all you say here.

That said, Caden has so much athletic and arm talent and is such a good student that I’m still surprised by the under-recruitment.
Same TR and excellent observation about the circling in backfield. I think he will outgrow it in college (he will have too). This Is the most exciting player in the SFL the last 2 years. Personally I think he will do very well in college if it ends up being sac state. He’s just that talented.

Just noting the fact so many on here are excited for a local stud kid to potentially stay home and play at Sac State shows you the growth of that program over the past 4-5 years.

#StingersUp
Absolutely! The region deserves a great collegiate football program, especially given all the talent that has come through these parts. Instead of kids going away, it's good to see more and more kids opting to stay home. Whether he attends Sac State or not is up to him, but it is good to know that this place is now a viable option!

I would still like to see Sac State make the jump to FBS. I think the region is better suited for FBS-style football.

Absolutely! The region deserves a great collegiate football program, especially given all the talent that has come through these parts. Instead of kids going away, it's good to see more and more kids opting to stay home. Whether he attends Sac State or not is up to him, but it is good to know that this place is now a viable option!

I would still like to see Sac State make the jump to FBS. I think the region is better suited for FBS-style football.

That’s been my hope for 25 years now. And for many others, too, I’m sure.

Everyone knows they need better facilities for that to happen.

With the football program being as good as it’s been since 2019, attendance is climbing. They averaged 15K plus last season and if they keep winning and getting better, that could continue to climb. It’s an important revenue stream.

Also, I recently read that advertisers are much more eager to partner with the University and it’s football program. That’s another important revenue stream.

They keep that up for a couple more years, perhaps the increased fan interest and revenue can get something kick started?

I’ve also read that there have been discussions with Republic FC to partner up in the Railyards or perhaps for something on campus. We’ll see what happens there.

To go FBS, there are other considerations, as they have to meet minimum sports requirements and IIRC minimum attendance requirements. But even more than that, they need a new basketball arena and a major upgrade to their football stadium. Without those things, it’s essentially a non-starter.

That all said, if there ever comes a day that the Hornets can draw legit FBS programs to play at Sac State, you can’t convince me this city wouldn’t eat it up.

Reactions: MC415

With the football program being as good as it’s been since 2019, attendance is climbing. They averaged 15K plus last season and if they keep winning and getting better, that could continue to climb. It’s an important revenue stream.

Also, I recently read that advertisers are much more eager to partner with the University and it’s football program. That’s another important revenue stream.

They keep that up for a couple more years, perhaps the increased fan interest and revenue can get something kick started?

I’ve also read that there have been discussions with Republic FC to partner up in the Railyards or perhaps for something on campus. We’ll see what happens there.

To go FBS, there are other considerations, as they have to meet minimum sports requirements and IIRC minimum attendance requirements. But even more than that, they need a new basketball arena and a major upgrade to their football stadium. Without those things, it’s essentially a non-starter.

That all said, if there ever comes a day that the Hornets can draw legit FBS programs to play at Sac State, you can’t convince me this city wouldn’t eat it up.
I’ve heard from contacts in Athletics that the new President (President Wood I believe) is saying the right things. There was some initial hesitation from Athletics when President Nelson was heading out. But word is that President Wood has already made mention of the student referendum from the early 2000s, which was passed by students at the time to help finance The Well as well as a new arena. By the time the fund was fully loaded, it wasn’t enough to cover costs of The Well and a new arena. But according to what Athletics has been told, there’s is still quite a larger amount of money in the fund, and it’s been mentioned by President Wood. He’s young and energetic, and has a good blue print having experience at SDSU

🤞🏼

Last edited:
I’ve heard from contacts in Athletics that the new President (President Wood I believe) is saying the right things. There was some initial hesitation from Athletics when President Nelson was heading out. But word is that President Wood has already made mention of the student referendum from the early 2000s, which was passed by students at the time to help finance The Well as well as a new arena. By the time the fund was fully loaded, it wasn’t enough to cover costs of The Well and a new arena. But according to what Athletics has been told, there’s is still quite a larger amount of money in the fund, and it’s been mentioned by President Wood. He’s young and energetic, and has a good blue print having experience at SDSU

🤞🏼

There was talk of President Nelsen implementing a tuition increase (that he previously refused to issue not wanting the blowback) before he left in May, basically falling on the sword so the incoming President didn’t have to. That didn’t happen, but I’m wondering if the new President might be willing to do it and take the heat?

There was talk of President Nelsen implementing a tuition increase (that he previously refused to issue not wanting the blowback) before he left in May, basically falling on the sword so the incoming President didn’t have to. That didn’t happen, but I’m wondering if the new President might be willing to do it and take the heat?
I don’t think the President has the ability to implement anything - even if he wanted to. It’s a vote, and the last student referendum for a tuition increase was voted down. President Nelson was a good one, and did a lot of good for Athletics, but he didn’t really stick out his neck much for the Department during his final year - as most had hoped he would. sad States gym is simply embarassing, and the football stadium is almost as bad. It’s a sad day when the newest High School in town has better athletic facilities than the DI college.

Indeed, there are many options to consider! I agree that upgrading facilities is vital to the university's success! I also like the idea of an on-campus stadium partnering with Sac Republic.

Maybe we can do something similar to what SDSU did with their new stadium. From all accounts, their stadium has been generating millions in revenue from concerts, conventions, and miscellaneous events. Those facilities are excellent for multi-purpose and would provide the region with an oversized state-of-the-art outdoor seating facility. A facility of this magnitude would certainly generate millions in annual revenue.

Regarding the basketball facility, they need to tear the whole gym area down (the old gym/locker rooms included) and build a 5k-7k seat arena.

And yes, I too believe, that the city would come out in droves to see a legit FBS program!

I believe that the entire region (media, business, fans, student/athletes) would get behind the FBS idea!

Reactions: ThunderRam
I don’t think the President has the ability to implement anything - even if he wanted to. It’s a vote, and the last student referendum for a tuition increase was voted down. President Nelson was a good one, and did a lot of good for Athletics, but he didn’t really stick out his neck much for the Department during his final year - as most had hoped he would. sad States gym is simply embarassing, and the football stadium is almost as bad. It’s a sad day when the newest High School in town has better athletic facilities than the DI college.

I’ve read from some people more in the know than me that the President can implement an increase. I can’t recall the details of how and why, only that it could be done. And that Nelsen didn’t want to take the heat for it so he never went there. As I said before, there were some hoping Nelsen might do it on his way out since he would no longer be there to take any heat or negative feedback, but he clearly did not.

Regarding the basketball facility, they need to tear the whole gym area down (the old gym/locker rooms included) and build a 5k-7k seat arena.
They just completed a $30M upgrade of The Well, adding more space and renovating the existing locker area. I doubt they will tear it down anytime soon.

They just completed a $30M upgrade of The Well, adding more space and renovating the existing locker area. I doubt they will tear it down anytime soon.
I believe The Well and The Hornet’s Nest are two different gyms/facilities. The Well is the (more recently built) student activity center and The Hornets Nest is the gymnasium where the team actually plays. They are located on opposite ends of the campus.

I believe The Well and The Hornet’s Nest are two different gyms/facilities. The Well is the (more recently built) student activity center and The Hornets Nest is the gymnasium where the team actually plays. They are located on opposite ends of the campus.
Thats right, I havent been in either facility for a long time. I believe they play intramurals in the Well basketball court. They arent that much different in size tho!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT